Top Social

Gen One- Chapter Twenty


A light, tickling breeze brushed my hair and danced across my skin. The scent of the seawater was definitely not unfamiliar, but there was something wholly different about at the same time. A crispness and liveliness that did not exist in Berrybrook thrived in Tropic Luna. The tingling of the bright sunlight illuminating the world unceasingly further amplified the exotic atmosphere. The stretch of ocean before me was nearly infinite. It was only partially blocked by a fog covered island in the distance. With an unfocused gaze, I stared straight ahead at it. I should have been ecstatic in that moment. There I was on a gorgeous rented house boat anchored on the edge of one of several tropical islands with two days ahead of me to do whatever I wanted. However, I couldn't focus on my fortuitous situation and only concentrate on how my fortuitous situation had me feeling so down. I sighed, not noticing the person coming up from behind me until she was right there.


Jumping slightly when I heard Bud's footsteps, I turned around as nonchalantly as possible. I knew right away that I wasn't fooling her due to the mildly perplexed and faintly concerned expression on her face.

     "You're awfully down for someone who scored a free trip to what's practically paradise. I noticed it when we were on the plane, but I thought you were just tired." she said.
     "I wish it was only that I was tired." I sighed yet again.
     "What's up?"

A brief moment passed before I answered. Out of Sap and his sisters, Bud was the one I knew the least. It wasn't that we didn't get along, but our personalities were too different to lend to us really connecting in any meaningful way. I wondered whether it would be a good idea to even bother bringing up what was bothering me, but I quickly realized I wouldn't feel better until I made at least some small mention of it.

     "It's Am." I revealed
     "Amaranth? What about him?"
     "We had been talking about making plans for this weekend several weeks ago, but then Sap invited me here. Obviously, I decided to come. Amaranth didn't seem to mind...until yesterday. I gave him a call just to talk, but he suddenly turned scathing because of my choice. It was so out of the blue and he was so abnormally furious that I didn't know what to say, which made him angrier. He eventually just hung up."
     "Wowww..." Bud said slowly, "Really? That doesn't sound like him."
     "I know. I can't help but think that maybe something else happened that put him in a bad mood that caused him to vent using me as the excuse, but when I tried to ask him he went on about how I was avoiding the subject." I pouted.
     "That's seriously so strange. I mean, I guess I can understand why he would be a little upset that you called off your plans to come here, but still..."
     "But it's not even that! Like I said, we were talking about making plans. We had ideas of what we could do, but they were just that. Ideas. There wasn't one thing we had actually set up."
     "Then he has less of a reason to be so upset. It's not like you don't already spend ridiculous amounts of time with the guy. He's hardly lacking your attention."
     "That's why I don't know what to do." I frowned.
     "Well, we have some time before we head out. You should give him another call while you can. It's Amaranth. I'm sure he's calmed down by now." Bud proposed.


I took Bud's advice. She went back downstairs to join Sap and their parents while I got a bit of privacy by going into the bedroom we shared. It was the most horrible feeling to be so nervous bringing up Amaranth's number, but I repeated Bud's reassurance that he had calmed down over and over in my head until I was more confident. I only wish she had turned out to be right. Amaranth's phone rang for a long time. I thought it was going to go to his voicemail, but at the very last second he picked up.

     "What?" he asked.

His voice was taught, stiff, and full of irritation. He clearly hadn't calmed down.

     "Am?" I said uncertainly, for he sounded so unlike himself that I could hardly believe he was the same person.
     "What?" he replied with even more bitterness, "I've only got a few more minutes of my break left. I don't want to waste them."
     "Oh, I didn't realize you were at work."
     "Well, I am. Hurry up."

My words stuck in my throat. That moment was exactly like the previous night. Amaranth acted as if I had truly stabbed him in the back, and each thing I thought to say did no good to remedy anything.

     "I...I'm, just, sorry? I don't know what else you want me to say. I didn't realize that us making plans meant that much to you. I'll talk to you next time before I decide to do something different."
     "You seriously think that's what I'm mad about?" Amaranth asked impatiently.
     "Why else would you be angry?"

There was silence. With Amaranth not answering, I had a few seconds to think. The realization hit me faster than I anticipated.

     "You better not be angry because it was Sap who invited me along."
     "Oh, no. Why would I be angry about that guy flaunting his rich parents' money and using it to lure you onto another stupid trip of his so he can brag about it? That he uses money to buy his friends doesn't bother me at all."
     "Oh my god, Amaranth, you liar!" I exclaimed in disbelief, "I knew you were just fibbing way back when so you wouldn't upset me when you said you were fine with him. And I can't believe how petty you are! You're insulting me more than him saying I can be bought with money! Yes, Sap's parents are rich. Yes, he's incredibly fortunate to be able to explore the world like he does, but he never brags about it. If I recall correctly, you were the one who was the most excited when he brought us along on those other trips we all went on. If anything, you're the horrible one willingly taking advantage of his generosity but then going on to bash him behind his back because you're jealous!"
     "I thought you called to apologize. Not to nag." Amaranth grumbled with a growl.
     "I apologized for the rational thing you have a tiny bit of a right to be mad about. However, if you're going to be this upset over some awfully shallow and superficial matter then I clearly can't help you." I retorted back tartly.
     "You're seriously wasting my time."

That was the end of the conversation. A mere second passed before the call was abruptly ended. I let out another cry of frustration and harmlessly slammed my phone onto the mattress.


I used all the spare time I had to now calm myself down. Unfortunately, the hollow yet heavy burden within my chest did not easily disappear. It didn't help that in addition to being relatively angry I also grew rather concerned and worried. Over the years, I had gotten into big fights with all of my friends save for Amaranth and Frost. I didn't count that one incident at Thanksgiving with Amaranth because there hadn't been that much anger. Just grief and guilt. Other than that, incredibly short moments of irritation had been the worst between him and me. That led to Bud being right in at least one manner. How Amaranth was acting wasn't like him in the slightest. The thought that something else had happened that he was being stubborn about not telling me stuck in my mind. I did not want to believe that he would truly be so furious about something as stupid as Sap's family having money and him inviting me on the trip.

I walked downstairs doing my best to appear unfazed. Though I didn't like how it made me feel, whatever was going on with my friend was indeed his own problem at the moment. I obviously couldn't say or do anything to help, and I refused to let my little vacation be ruined by something I had no power over.

     "Meadow, please come help me with this. Sap is vicious." Bud pleaded when I found the two playing foosball.
     "I'm not being vicious. You just keep letting go of the rods because you don't want to chip your nail polish." Sap rolled his eyes amusedly.
     "Let me see what I can do." I laughed lightly, shuffling around the narrow room to help Bud.

It soon became mostly a game between the two of us. Bud attempted to play, but she was so slow and so eager to let go when the pace picked up that she got in the way more than she helped.


We were interrupted by Mr. Spring at a perfect moment. Sap had just gotten a goal off me, leaving us tied at seven points apiece.

     "Talking time for who is doing what," Mr. Spring began with a soft clap of his hands as he walked in the room, "The two of us are due to meet our friends shortly, so we'll all take a drive to the park. That'll leave you three at a good place to wander about the places nearby while we adults do our thing. We would prefer it if the three of you stuck together, but knowing you two..."

He looked at Sap and Bud.

     "You know she's going to do nothing but shop. I would actually like to give Meadow the chance to do what she can't already do at home." Sap said.
     "Surely I'm old enough to go off on my own now? It's not like I've never been here before." Bud mildly whined.

Mr. Spring shrugged.

     "Fair enough points. Alright, as long as no one ends up getting in trouble, you're free to go about as you please." he compromised.


Bud all but bolted towards the long stretch of shops and boutiques once she, Sap, and I were dropped off. It was the first time I had seen her move with such haste, for in gym class she had a myriad of excuses as to why she couldn't participate in most of the activities. Unlike her, Sap and I had no real goal in mind. Tropic Luna was a common destination for their family vacations, so he had already seen it all. Thus, he let me lead us on to wherever I was pulled towards. It didn't take long a for a small garden full of luscious plants and intricately carved statues to catch my eye.

     "That one is massive!" I said in amazement at a tall tree with intensely purple flowers.
     "You mean the rhododendron?"
     "That's what that is? I didn't know they could get that bag."
     "Really? I thought Shiny Sands was known for its lavish gardens. They didn't have these there?"
     "Oh, they probably do. When you live there, you just don't pay as much attention to those sort of things, I suppose," I lied with ease before making sure to change the subject rapidly, "I know you've given me the choice to pick where we go, so I want to visit your favorite place here."
     "My favorite place?"

Sap paused as he though. A smile soon spread across his face.

     "Yeah, it's definitely there. It's a bit of a walk though."
     "I'm good for a walk. There's little meaning in coming here if I don't take the opportunity to enjoy the marvelous scenery after all." I pointed out.


It took us nearly forty minutes to reach Sap's favorite place, but complaining was the last thing on my mind. We could seriously stop every quarter mile for Sap to show me some breathtaking new sight- a waterfall, a series of small ponds that dotted the landscape, and the unfamiliar flowers along the road to name a few. Eventually, we reached our destination after making a hefty trek up a steep hill. At the top of that hill, away from the houses and craziness of the tourist traps, was another pond, freshwater this time, almost intimately enclosed by a circle of flowering bushes. There was a small sitting area and grill, but it was clear by the untouched ground that not many chose to stop by.

     "I'm not sure where I was expecting you to take me, but I'm glad it was this place." I spoke gently into the silence that comfortably surrounded us after we took a seat by the lapping water.
     "When you grow up with two crazy little sisters who want you to be both spineless so they can walk all over you and steadfast and responsible so they don't have to worry about looking out for themselves simultaneously, you tend to seek out the beautiful and serene so you can just have one peaceful moment to breathe."
     "You're a real trooper." I laughed.
     "Forced participant, more like it." Sap chuckled himself.
     "Well, however you want to call yourself, I'm happy you're willing to allow me to intrude on your moment to breathe."
     "I said I sought out the peaceful in the beautiful and the serene. Not that I sought it out in order to be alone." Sap corrected with a smile.

I fidgeted ever so slightly in embarrassment, Sunset and Sunflower's words from our movie night still replaying in the back of my mind.

     "In all honesty," Sap continued, "What I like the most about being with you is that we can just talk. Genuinely, openly talk. I don't need to fret about having to entertain you like I do with Bud and 'Chio. We can have a meaningful conversation, or we can simply let the silence speak since, as far as I'm aware, you seem to understand and accent the silence more than any other person I've met before."
     "You're right about that," I acknowledged, "Before I moved here, my life was incredibly quiet. Sometimes it felt like there was nothing other to do but sit and listen to it. It used to bother me back then, but now I don't mind it overtaking me every now and again."
     "You're odd in that way." Sap teased lightly.
     "You're odd too. A teenage boy who wants to talk and have deep, meaningful conversations?"
     "We're a perfect pair then."


After a few more jabs, talking is what Sap and I did.  It was pleasingly fulfilling to merely express our thoughts upon an eager recipient and get adequate feedback. Unfortunately, our moment of peace was broken ten minutes later by the buzzing of Sap's phone.

     "Seriously..." Sap sighed heavily in annoyance, "I knew it wouldn't take long. That girl cannot be left alone. She would rather be locked in a room with her worst enemy than be locked in a room by herself."
     "Bud?" I questioned knowingly.
     "Yeah. She's bored. She wants us to meet her so we can go swimming. Except her idea of 'swimming' is sunbathing. Her and 'Chio both." Sap rolled his eyes.
     "Well, we can still swim."

Sap nodded. He made use of the island's excellent taxi service to get us a ride so poor Bud would not go crazy waiting for us. It didn't take long to get our swimsuits. Soon we were at a beach with the most perfect aqua water I had ever seen. True to what I had been told, Bud instantly lay down a towel and plopped herself onto it. Sap and I worked on a sandcastle for a while until she complained too much about the wind blowing the sand into her face.


Not that we minded being prompted into the ocean. The water, which was at the warmest temperature it had been at all year, was still perfectly cool and crisp enough to give Sap and I a much welcome break from those unceasing rays of glimmering sunlight. Part of me wondered if Bud was going to asphyxiate herself with all the sighing she did at us. We acted as if we were true children- splashing, laughing, and crying out as if we had no reason to do anything else.


I wondered if we were going to go on like that all day. It did appear as if we would, but a call came from Sap's parents shortly before noon. Their friends and them were taking a break from their reunion, so the three of us were meant to meet them for lunch. Another taxi took us to a fancy restaurant on the other side of the island. Like normal, I was told to order whatever I wanted. Like normal, I hesitated for there was not one decently priced item on the menu. Even the most basic items had prices that would make Blaze scream and run in the opposite direction. I generally would have gone for one of those, but my hunger was so great that I cast aside my guilt at taking advantage of someone else's money by actually ordering what I wanted. I even went ahead and got a dessert I had always wanted to try.

     "That's something I've wanted to try too, but I've never had the courage to order it." Sap explained.
     "Why not?" I wondered.
     "It's on fire!" Sap grinned with exasperation.
     "You don't eat it when it's still on fire, silly. You wait until the flames go away. Look, they've already almost died."

The wafting breeze off the ocean beat down upon the tiny flames until they were extinguished. I got Sap to try a few bites, he chuckled at me slightly when I got frosting on my face, and I laughed loudly at him when he realized just how spicy his curry was. More than the flames on my cake, I could have sworn there were flames coming out of his mouth when he absentmindedly downed a massive forkful.


Sap's parents insisted that we spend at least a little time together as a family and "honorary family member" before we went our separate ways once more. That time went mostly to exploring the shops near the restaurant. We stayed the longest in one that had such dim lighting that I felt after having had my adjusting to the glaring sunlight outside. Bud made good use of the large mirrors to check herself out while Sap and I browsed through the random knick-knacks and souvenirs.

     "I should probably remember to bring things back for everyone. Al 'cried' when I didn't buy presents last time." I said.
     "Oh, I remember that. He does fake tears pretty well, that guy." Sap recalled with amusement.
     "It's a bit worrying that he can do them that well." I giggled.

Walking around the store several times, I went through my list of friends to make sure I did indeed get something for everyone. Eden, Sunset, Sunflower, Allium, Frost, Cocoa, and...Amaranth. I debated on whether or not I should get him anything. Did he deserve it? In the end, I went with a simple, ordinary snow globe. It was as tacky as anything could get. However, since I was using my own money and everything in the store was ridiculously overpriced I wasn't about to go all out for someone who I wasn't that pleased with at that particular moment. Amaranth wouldn't be getting his gift anyway until he was back to normal and apologized.


I had done surprisingly well in forgetting about him for the past several hours, but buying him that globe brought him to my mind and stuck him there. I didn't have enough privacy to worry about the situation in any manner until Sap and I made our way to the main park again. Sap went off to buy a snow cone, and I took out my phone to check my texts. There were some from Eden, Sunflower, and Allium, but none from Amaranth. He had chosen so far to completely ignore my last message to him. I highly doubted he hadn't seen it yet, what with him having to have finished his shift. My heart sunk and my mood dropped. I truly despised how things had suddenly changed between us, and I couldn't wait until they changed back.


I was responding to my other texts when a voice interrupted me.

     "Hey." it spoke.

Highly confused for a moment thinking it was Sap, I was shocked when I saw two other boys about my age standing all but right in front of me. I hadn't noticed them at all. One was all brown, and his companion I couldn't help but to stare at. I obviously knew plenty of Mixeds with two colors, but I could hardly remember seeing anyone with three. He was quite the interesting combination with the dusky blue skin, bright yellow hair, and deep purple eyes.

     "Hello." I answered back.

I forced down my nerves. My shyness was something I had conquered for the most part, in that I could hide it relatively well anyway.

     "Vacationing here for the holiday weekend?" the brown boy continued to speak.

I nodded.

     "What's your name?" he asked.
     "Meadow." I replied, knowing it was best to leave my last name out of the equation whenever possible.
     "I'm Larch."
     "Yarrow." the other boy introduced.
     "Yarrow?!" I exclaimed, which naturally got curious and perplexed stares out of the two in front of me, "Oh, I'm sorry. It's just that there's this ghost story back where I'm from. It's based off a true event where a young teenager named Yarrow murdered his cousin, Snowbell, by shoving hay down her throat because she got in the way of him inheriting the family's farm."

The non-ghost Yarrow laughed.

     "What a story to have a name connection to. I can see why you freaked out."
     "It probably doesn't help that a had a weird experience years ago when my friends and I had a sleepover in the loft where the murder happened." I shrugged.
     "Where are you and this ghost story from?" Larch questioned.
     "Berrybrook County."


I glanced between him and Yarrow. Though I had been intimidated at first, the two quickly proved to be laid back and absolutely harmless.

     "You've come here with your family, I see." Larch motioned towards Sap and Bud in the distance.

His voice was optimistic, and I knew exactly why.

     "Actually, I haven't. Bud is my friend. Sap is my boyfriend." I lied.

It was clear enough that Larch and Yarrow were locals. I knew they had been thinking about hitting on me, trying to pick me up, or whatever else you want to call it. For me, lying was easier than simply telling them 'no.'

     "Tch, figures. All the girls that come this time of year are taken." Yarrow sighed.
     "I hate the off season." Larch added.
     "Bud is single." I revealed.

They glanced around me to look at her.

     "She seems like the high-maintenance type." Larch correctly guessed.
     "She is." I couldn't help but to laugh.
     "We're just trying to find some good company to chill out with for a few hours, not have someone talk our ears off or expect us to empty our pockets for them." Yarrow explained, clearly recalling with dread past experiences.
     "You're probably better off staying away then."
     "Probably." he agreed.
     "We had best make our way to the beach then," Larch suggested to his friend, "Might have more luck there. We'll let you get back to enjoying your vacation. Have a good one, Meadow."
     "Thanks. You too."

Yarrow said his goodbye as well, and the two were gone.


Making my way towards the center fountain to find Sap, I discovered that he had been watching and waiting for me.

     "Any trouble?" he asked with light concern.
     "Nah. Just some nice, bored locals trying to find a single girl to chill out with."
     "They didn't find one?"

Sap raised his eyebrow.

     "Oh, um, I...I might have told them that we were dating." I admitted hesitantly.

I was mostly relieved, surprisingly somewhat disappointed, when Sap laughed loudly.

     "Yeah, that's the best way to get them to allow you to go your way."
     "I told them Bud was single, but they could tell she is high-maintenance and weren't interested."
     "Smart beach boys. A rare breed."
     "You love taking digs into your sister whenever you can, don't you?" I teased.
     "Hey, have you heard how she talks about me? When I'm in earshot?"
     "You should hear what she says when you're not." I teased further.
     "I don't even want to imagine it." Sap shook his head in wry amusement.


Night seemed like it would never come. It was almost ten before the last golden rays of the sun dissipated so they calm of the blue dark could thrive. Even then, the world remained so clear that few lights were required to see. Sap and I had escaped to the back of the boat to avoid listening to Bud's long talks on the phone with her friends back home. What I wish I could have escaped from was my own mind. Amaranth was still firmly in my thoughts, and almost everything  had a way of bringing him up.

     "Be careful you don't fall now. There's bound to be some random, big waves that give the house an extra jolt." Sap warned when I choose to sat on the low wall with my feet hanging just above the water.
     "I'll be alright. It wouldn't be the first time I've unceremoniously fell into the ocean."

The memory of Amaranth sneaking me out of the house not long after Eden set me free replayed before my eyes. Sitting on that dock, us talking, him accidentally pushing me into the water- it remained so vivid even now.

     "You alright?" Sap's question broke the vision.
     "Huh?"
     "You just keep looking sad from time to time."

I let a deep breath fill my lungs, for I often forgot how perceptive Sap was.

     "Not sad, merely...pensive." I corrected.


I stood up and got away from the water. The memories were getting to me too much. My desire was to make new ones, not linger on the old. A chilling breeze caused me to shiver as I turned.

     "Cold?" Sap queried.
     "A little." I shrugged as I took a new seat at the end of the lounger Sap was on.
     "With the sun this place is warm, but it can't be denied that it'll be fall here too before long."

A nod was my response before there was more silence. The wind came again, causing me to shake harder. It was indeed colder than I wanted it to be. My body craved warmth, and that led to me doing something that was wholly unplanned. I was moving before I even realized I was moving, or before I could think through the consequences. All I was aware of was that I was leaning against Sap, cuddling on him in a way I had never dared to touch him before. My mind raced with terror. What was I doing? Why was I doing it? Desperately wishing I knew what to do to make the situation not awkward, I soon noticed that I didn't need to worry.

Sap made no protests. He showed no signs that he minded me against him or that he preferred that I sit up. In fact, he wrapped his arms around me instead. It was nothing inappropriate or overly grand. He simply held me. I calmed down almost instantly. And calm was what I felt. Being as were were, I waited and waited for something more. Butterflies in my stomach, a fluttering heart, blushing cheeks- something. It was ever so slightly embarrassing being pressed against Sap's skin that was comfortably warm, but that was the most of it. Otherwise, I was content, secure, and satisfied.

I found I liked that feeling very much.


Sap and I barely said a word when we were like that. There was no need for conversation. We had done plenty of talking earlier in the day, and so it was that sense of peace that we soaked and reveled in until the lull of sleep forced us to our beds. I woke up the following morning not as mortified as I expected. Still gently embarrassed, yes, but it wasn't the bad kind of embarrassed. That only came when Bud moved over to me with arms folded as I opened the drawer to pull out my clothes for the day.

     "So." she began with amused suspicion.
     "So?"
     "I knew it was only a matter of time."
     "What?"
     "Meadow, this house boat isn't a great mansion. You seriously don't think I didn't notice you and Sap all cuddled up together last night?" she revealed with a mischievous grin.

That was when the blush appeared.

     "Or that mom and dad didn't see you two either?" she added for good measure.

My face had to have caught on fire. Surely it must have. A horrified whine escaped my lips.

     "Don't worry," Bud comforted, turning more serious, "Mom and dad are crazy overjoyed. They totally adore you. They're rather old-fashioned in some ways in that they prefer everyone to stick to their colors. I doubt they'd stop one of us if we wanted to be with someone who wasn't green, but the fact that you are green only makes them that much more eager for something you between you and my brother."
     "You...don't mind, do you? If we were to..."
     "Definitely not. We may not be best of friends, but it's not like I don't like you. Honestly, I'm just happy that it looks like that dweeb won't be single for his whole life."

I smiled, holding back a giggle.


How Sap and I went about our day changed drastically We still didn't say anything about it. There didn't appear to be a need to point anything out, for it's not like either of us were oblivious as to what was going on. Then, on the other hand, it's not like we were making any solid decision either. Sap and I were simply testing the waters to see how things would progress. We walked closer to each other, touched hands a little more, did some slow dancing at the festival, and overall made our relationship just that much more intimate. The supposed tickling emotions that signified romance continued to stay at bay, but the deep, reassuring, calm that persisted stopped me from being worried.


With that second day being our last full day of vacation, the two of us picked up the pace more. Bud had met some local friends she had made on previous trips, so Sap and I were free to explore without having to have her along. Our destinations became tourist hotspots, random shops and attractions, and the water. The two of us went swimming, snorkeling, and Sap was even able to take me out on a speed boat. We blasted across the water to such an extent that I feared my ponytail would be nothing but a knot. Sap caused a different kind of fear to enter my chest when he pretended that the boat had broken when we were several miles offshore. It took him buying me some ice cream to appease me after giving me such a fright.


The hours passed and the day came to a close. Just like the night before, Sap and I moved to a quieter spot on the house boat, this time the upper balcony, to enjoy the atmosphere. We sat on the floor, arms linked, shoulders pressed together with our heads turned towards the sky.

     "It's such a shame we have to leave in the morning," I spoke softly, "Two days is not enough to really enjoy this place."
     "You're always free to come the next time my parents decide to take another vacation here."
     "You bring me along on too many of your vacations, Sap. It makes me feel guilty going to all these places for free and not giving anything back."
     "My parents are the ones who extend the offers. We're not actually allowed to ask if we can bring anyone. We have to wait until they say it's okay."
     "Still-"
     "Besides," Sap interrupted, "Mom and dad do have ulterior motives for wanting you along. They think you'll be good influences on Bud and 'Chio, and, given that whenever you come along they get in much less trouble, it's safe to say you are giving something back. You're providing less headaches for us all."
     "I'm glad I can help then." I said sheepishly.


Sap glanced up to the right.

     "Let's see. That constellation there is Aquila, right?" he said, pointing up to the stars.
     "Yup. The brightest star in it is Altair, which is part of the Summer Triangle. Deneb in Cygnus there and Vega in Lyra over there help to make up the rest of it."
     "I can barely distinguish them. I don't know how you can spot it so easily."
     "Trained eyes and a knowledgeable source."
     "Ah, right. Amaranth. Our little astronomer."

I let my arm pointing out the stars fall slightly. Amaranth was still being brought up too often for my liking.

     "You know, when I was a child the sky was completely different for me." I began.
     "What do you mean?"
     "I mean that I didn't know anything about the 'official' constellations like I do now. I made up my own. Having a great view of the sky from my room, at night when it was quiet and I was all alone I spent hours making pictures. Right there is a man squatting on top of a tree."

I pointed up to the heavens again, planning to show Sap my silly constellations and expecting him to smile along with me. However, my expression grew as serious as his did when I found him staring at me with concern.

     "All alone?" he repeated quietly.

A mental smack at myself was required. There I was saying too much again, having been pulled in by the comfortable atmosphere. I hadn't thought anything when I said that, but of course it would mean much more to Sap.

     "You can't actually mean that you were all alone in your house at night. Your parents...or Eden..."

He trailed off, his hesitation visible. I chose not to say anything, for I wanted to see what he would do.

     "I don't mean to pry, but you've always been so tight-lipped about what your life used to be like that I'm not sure where it's safe to tread. From the little hints you've given, a lot of your childhood seems to be quite sad."


I sighed. Both to play the part, and because Sap was technically right. I wasn't that concerned about Sap bringing up questions, for Eden had created quite the intricate backstory for us. He weaved together the actual reality in with the lie as much as he could to make it relatable enough for me to express properly, and he had added all these random details and nuances here and there to give me a plethora of things to work with if the occasion called for it. I had never told the main part of the story to anyone seeing as how the lie would be easier to keep the simpler it remained. I already had to juggle conflicting information I had given different people, but I found myself desiring to tell the original story. I couldn't reveal the truth to Sap, but the fake truth was the next best thing.

     "I was alone most of the time. Until I moved here, there was pretty much no one I could call a friend. You know how shy I am. I can handle it more now, but back then it was debilitating. My parents weren't concerned or interested for that matter in trying to break me out of my shell. It's probably already incredibly obvious given how much older Eden is than me, but I wasn't a child they planned on having. I was an accident they loved, but didn't necessarily want."
     "I'm sure that's not how it was." Sap attempted to comfort, his voice even softer than before.

I shook my head.

     "I overheard them say it once. They had some close friends visiting, and they thought I was sleeping. I just wanted to get some water, but what I got instead was them admitting that, though they loved me, if they could go back in time they definitely would have been more careful in order to make sure that my mother didn't get pregnant," I revealed, continuing on through Sap's upset horror, "I got in their way, you see. They had had Eden young, putting aside their careers and other dreams until he got old enough. They thought they were at the point where they could finally go after their own desires without interruption, but little Meadow came along. They did a terrible job at hiding that I came second in their hearts. Overhearing what they said when I was so young, of course I said I didn't mind that they were always at work. That they were constantly out late, or taking business trips, or attending meetings instead of coming to school events or having essentially anything to do with me beyond what was required to keep me alive. I was terrified that if I tried to fight for their attention that they wouldn't want me anymore."
     "Where was Eden?"
     "We didn't start having a relationship even close to what we have now until after my parents died. He was just about to graduate college when I was born, and he was well out and on his own by the time I was old enough to recognize that I was a person. I barely saw or even spoke to the guy. After he took me in, I refused to speak to him for almost two months. I thought for a time that it was my fault my parents had died."
     "Why?"
     "I had taken the risk to be bothersome for a moment. My parents were planning another business trip, one that would have them gone during my birthday. I demanded that they buy me this expensive toy before they left. They went out to get it, they got into an accident, and they never came home. It confirmed all my fears that asking for attention or being selfish would mean nothing but trouble. I didn't speak to Eden because I was terrified that if I said anything he would wind up dead as well. All of the stress built up until it messed me up some, which was why Eden put me in homeschooling. I began to get better, and the two of us grew closer. That's when we moved here, and everything seemed to click for me in a way it never had."


I did my best to finish the tale optimistically, but it was only natural that Sap wore a heavily downcast expression. I squeezed his hand and gave him a smile when he looked my way.

     "And it's all fine now. Of course, I would love for my parents to be alive so we could fix our relationship to the way it was supposed to be, but I otherwise wouldn't change a thing. I'm not that child anymore. I can look back at the situation for exactly what it was now and know the truth." I concluded encouragingly.

Sap stared at me more, his somber expression unwavering, until a small twitch at the corners of his lips broke through.

     "I wish that you hadn't lost your parents either, but I'm glad that you were able to move to Berrybrook. I'm glad that you were able to find a place where you could break free and find your confidence to be amazing. Because, Meadow, you are amazing. No matter what the future has in store, I will always be glad to have met you. I would feel most sad if you were no longer around."
     "Well, thank you." I expressed with true gratitude.

I was not embarrassed this time around. Instead, the top of my chest swelled to life as a joy danced and swirled so intensely it made me want to cry. Sap beamed me a brighter smile before bringing his gaze once more to the heavens.

     "So, a man squatting on a tree, huh?"

I burst out into laughter.

     "Yeah. Right there." I pointed it out.


Sap and I must have sat there and made our own constellations for over an hour. The sad mood having been lost, we had a grand time making the most ridiculous pictures with the stars. The two of us were highly disappointed when Mrs. Spring told us we had to go to bed, because she was not going to deal with exhausted teenagers on the flight back home tomorrow. We reluctantly parted for the evening. I would like to say I went to bed in a good mood, but I stupidly thought to check my phone one last time while Bud was in the bathroom. One message was there, but it was from Eden as he wanted to double-check the time he needed to pick me up from the airport. There remained nothing from Amaranth. Even the call and second text I sent him earlier that day had not prompted a response. Someone definitely would have alerted me if something had happened to him, so he was clearly still angry.

I stared at my phone dismally. If Amaranth was this upset because he didn't like me and Sap being friends, I dreaded to think of how he would react to the knowledge that we were becoming something more.
10 comments on "Gen One- Chapter Twenty"
  1. I still ship Sap/Meadow, even if his parents seem a teensy tiny bit racist. But hey, they'd probably be even more stoked when she goes white.

    Wait. Is he gay? Cause he hasn't really said anything despite her literally throwing herself at him... or maybe he's just a typical teenage boy.

    Seriously though, I love Sap. Don't break my heart, Kelsey. Please. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still ship Meadow and Amaranth, I don't think I will ever ship Sap and Meadow

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! ETHEREAL AND AMARANTH! NOT SAP AND ETHEREAL!
    This is not supposed to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cece- His parents are indeed a tiny bit old-fashioned. They don't really have a REAL problem with those who aren't green or those who are Mixed, and like Bud said they wouldn't stop them from having a relationship with someone who wasn't green, but they do still have that preference.

    Technically, Meadow hasn't said anything about it either. I can't say much more, but you might be on to something.

    I will do my best, but I can't make any promises.

    @Anon- You are not alone (see Makayla's comment below XD )

    @Makayla- Perhaps it is supposed to happen ;)
    We'll simply have to see :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I had to read this twice - lol
    I AM TRYING to like Sap & Meadow together ... but ...
    It is still Amaranth for me!!
    Am is upset about her being with Sap, just like he was when they were kids - lol
    I can't wait to see how Am is going to react when they return home
    and the snow globe LOL!!

    I laughed when I read the part about his parents being happy about Meadow being green - a little not too happy about colour mixing - so they might just freak when Ethereal becomes white!! If Sap and Meadow are still together - which I hope they are not!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has Ethereal realized that Amaranth has a crush on her yet or does she just think he's being possessive? Still I think that Ethereal and Am belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think she's quite there yet on that kind of knowledge, but perhaps Amaranth isn't there either ;)

    I feel like I should start keeping a tally as to who is on which side.
    SapxMeadow: Cece
    AmaranthxMeadow: Everyone else
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both Amareadow and Sapeadow actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on Am's team! :D I like Sap but not for Ethereal, or Meadow in this case lol

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9