Top Social

Gen One- Chapter Twenty Two


That Wednesday morning was just like any other morning. I rolled out of bed with a grumble regretting as I always did how I late I stayed up talking to my friends on the phone. The lateness of the night never bothered me. The earliness of the morning always did. I contemplated letting myself sleep in for just one day. Then I forced myself to remember how much I hated dealing with the congestion if I didn't get to the school before the buses. The extra rest wasn't worth it. I took a quick shower, got dressed, made sure to take my medicine, went downstairs to have breakfast, chatted with Eden, played with Button, and was then on my way. The roads were calm, and I got an even better parking space than normal. My mood had increased decently by the time I reached the halls. When I turned the corner to approach my locker, I found out it was a rather good thing I hadn't delayed. Sap was clearly waiting for me as he stood right next to it. I was still sleepy, but he looked even more out of it. I couldn't help giggling quietly as he yawned a massive yawn- his expression shifting into something quite amusing.


However, my smile quickly dropped. That was because I was horribly perplexed. I thought it was Sap who had been standing there, but the closer I got the more my brain told me the person wasn't Sap. It was clearly him though, and it thankfully only took the brief second when he turned my way for me to figure out what was causing the confusion.

     "Did you forget you glasses at home?" I asked.
     "Nope. My sight has been stable for a long while now, so after a few weeks of bothering my parents they finally allowed me to get some contacts." Sap explained, beaming happily.
     "You look entirely different." I remarked in awe, almost unconsciously reaching up to lightly touch the side of his face as I stared taking in the new sight.

Embarrassed, I quickly dropped my hand down. Sap didn't linger on it just like normal.

     "Bud and 'Chio have been saying the same thing. 'Chio even teased me about it all the way here this morning. She says I am somewhat good looking now." he said with a lighthearted roll of his eyes.
     "I like you either way," I smiled, "Did all three of you come to school early then?"
     "Yeah. 'Chio had a meeting before school for one of her activities. We share one car between the three of us. Neither Bud or I wanted to take the bus, so we opted to come early with her instead. Bud's definitely regretting it. She's crashed on one of the couches in the library."
     "I saw you yawning pretty big too." I revealed teasingly.
     "Yeah, I'm not a morning person either. I don't get how you can stand coming at this time everyday."
     "You get used to it." I shrugged.


We talked in the hallway for some time before moving to the room where I had my first class. It seemed there were multiple extracurriculars having early meeting, for there were decently more students roaming the halls than normal. Sap and I wanted to chat with a bit more privacy. Not that we talked about anything monumental. We chatted about what seemed like normal high school gossip at the time.

     "You know, it's not only getting up early that's made me so tired. My sisters kept me up all night too with their constant phone calls." Sap revealed.
     "I thought you were in your own room?"
     "Oh, I am. But mine is right next to theirs. The wall isn't the thickest in the world, and those two have no consideration in keeping their voices quiet when the hour grows late."
     "Why were they talking so much?"
     "They caught wind of some rumor that began to spread around the halls during the last few periods yesterday. Apparently, it's 'scandalous.' Bud and 'Chio, the gossip-lovers they are, were desperately trying to find out exactly what it was all about. I don't think they managed to dig up much. They sure loved speculating though."
     "What a ridiculous thing to waste their time on. Those rumors are never real anyway. It's all just immature people making up immature stories."
     "And my sisters wonder why I'd rather spend time with you than stick around with them." Sap laughed.


That statement changed the course of the conversation. Sap had an endless supply of stories to tell about his sisters and their antics. Part of me wanted a sister, but I hoped if I did have one somewhere out there that perhaps she would be more sensible than Bud and Pistachio. Sap wasn't kidding when he said he had to constantly look out for them. At least according to the tales he told, the two could have gotten in serious trouble or been seriously hurt so many times if he hadn't been around helping them, and I doubted that Sap was changing the stories to make himself more impressive. Everything he said was far too believable given what I knew about his sisters.

I was disappointed when it was time for Sap to leave. The buses were beginning to arrive. The hallways grew louder and louder as students filled them. Sap needed to make his way to his own locker and own classroom before he ran out of time. With ten minutes or so until the bell rang, I pulled out one of my notebooks. I wasn't doing work so much as I was drawing random doodles and coming up with quirky names for them. I hardly noticed my classmates trickling into the room. However, the same could not be said for them. I was forced to pay more attention to the others around me when I heard my name being whispered quietly. It was often accompanied by hushed laughs. Stares bored into the back of my head. The second I turned to give the boys in the back of the room a suspicious glance the second I knew something was going on, for they hurriedly looked away and stopped their talking.


I wondered if my hair had gotten messed up somehow or if I was having a wardrobe malfunction without noticing it. Shifting in my seat revealed that there didn't seem to be anything ripped or flipped up where it shouldn't have been. The whispers resumed, but I ignored them. I tried to anyway. There was no ignoring the person who walked into the room, saw me, and strode over with a smug little smirk on his face.

     "Hey, Meadow," he began with fake sincerity that put me on edge, "Morning."
     "Morning, Thall." I responded back with slight hesitation.

I knew Thallium somewhat seeing as how we had gone to the same elementary, but I didn't actually know him. We barely ever acknowledged each other.

     "You interested in coming over to my place tonight?" he offered suddenly.

The request had the few others in the room laughing harder, and it wasn't the good kind of laughter. Having no idea what was going on, my heart began to race despite my best attempts at keeping composed.

     "I already have plans for today. Sorry." I declined with a lie as politely and normally as I could.
     "Plans with who? Allium? Amaranth? Frost?"
     "That's none of your business." I replied tartly.
     "Suppose not. I guess I don't really want to know who you're seeing before me, but surely you'll have enough energy to pay me a visit once you're done with him? I can't imagine you'd preoccupied with one person for that long." Thallium pressed onward.

My mind was spinning. His words weren't making any sense, and with the continued scornful giggles going on behind me I was growing more and more lost by the second.

     "I'm not interested in hanging out with you." I said more bluntly, hoping I would be left alone.


A wider smirk spread across Thallium's face.

     "Oh, that's right. From what I've heard you need more than one person nowadays to satisfy you. Hey, Cad? Rube? Either of you two want to join the fun? I'm sure Meadow would love to change the faces in her routine every once in a while." he called to the two other boys sitting in the back.

With that, it fell into place. I knew exactly what Thallium was talking about and what he was implying. Not that it helped me any. My whole abdomen was tight. I kept an iron tight grip on my pencil as I failed to stop myself from shaking lightly. I could normally handle my shyness at school because I only ever really interacted with my friends or close acquaintances. To suddenly have all the attention on me was terrifying, and it was especially worse because it was a situation like this. I didn't understand how or why, but a sickening feeling in my stomach reminded me of the scandalous rumor I had only just heard existed...

     "I don't know," Ruber called back in a tone similar to Thallium's, "That's a bit too much for a normal person. I'd rather get some long, quality alone time instead. You would think that would be the change of routine for Meadow given what I've heard."

He and Cadmium laughed at the awful joke. The corners of my vision began to twinge with shadows of gray, and my hearing began to distort. I had been holding my breath without realizing it. Terror and humiliation was quickly wreaking devastation on the inside, and I couldn't only wonder how much of that was showing through on my expression on the outside. The doodles I restarted drawing were shaky and uneven.

     "I never realized you were quite so loose, Meadow," Thallium picked up his cruel teasing, bending over slightly to lower his head closer to mine when I refused to look at him again, "It makes sense though. Little Miss Genius who doesn't ever need to study has to find some way to keep herself entertained. Constantly needing three guys to do it for you is crazy weird, but they do say it's always the quiet ones who have the darkest secrets."


Thallium hovered closer as he waited for an answer. Even if I had wanted to say something, there would have been no way for me to do so. As always, my lungs were tightening up and refusing to work properly thanks to the horrible stress that had been thrust upon me. I feared that if Thallium didn't back off quickly that one of the idiot boys was going to have to carry me to the nurse on account of me passing out.

     "C'mon, come over tonight," Thallium prompted again, "Surely a change sounds nice? I heard you weren't picky at all."
     "Maybe she's gotten bored of boys," Flow eagerly joined in, because of course Purity's minion just happened to be in my first class as well, "If she's done it that many times, it's no wonder she's not desperate for more. How about we really change it up, hmm, Meadow?"


It took all my strength not to run out of the room in tears. I was not prepared for such abrasive teasing, nor was I competent at handling it. Who knows what would have happened if Flow's comments hadn't distracted Thallium and the others. They bantered away with her about her making herself out to being a closet lesbian. More students came in after that. Almost all of them gave me those cheerfully condescending stares and little laughs, but at least the room filling up and class beginning gave me a momentary break. Unfortunately, I didn't get too many more of those. Unless there was some other big rumor floating around that I wasn't catching, me sleeping around like there was no tomorrow with my three male friends was indeed the scandalous rumor. It followed me as I walked through the halls. The whispers came from every corner of the classrooms. Thallium and Flow weren't the only boy and girl to request 'services.'

I was seriously on my way to the bathroom to call Eden to beg him to call the school with some fake reason for why I needed to leave when I finally ran into some friendly faces. Worried and downcast were the expressions Sunset and Sunflower wore though. They practically bolted over when we spotted each other in that quiet hallway, and Sunset pulled me into a comforting hug without me needing to say a word.

     "Are you alright?" Sunflower asked empathetically.
     "No." I admitted softly, my voice quivering.
     "Poor thing." Sunset cooed.


Sunset held me and Sunflower gently patted my hair for a brief moment until I calmed down some. Just having the two right there made me feel worlds better. They gave me more sympathetic looks when I sighed heavily.

     "Maybe you should just go home for the day. It's not like you need to be here." Sunset suggested.
     "That's what I was thinking. I was on my way to call Eden before I ran into you," I began, not being able to stop myself from sighing a second time, "But now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't. We're not even done with the first quarter and I've already missed a week of school. We all know how much school I'll miss once winter comes around. I can't risk using up a sick day for something like this."
     "I think you leaving now would just do more to ignite the fire too. It'll give everyone a reason to keep talking. It's gonna suck hard, but all you can do with stupid rumors like these is ignore it and wait for it to die down. We are in high school. By this time next week no one's going to care about this horrible gossip anymore." Sunflower added.
     "Yeah, you're right." I agreed reluctantly.

I wanted more than anything to stay and talk more, but the 'warning trill', a rolling flute-like noise that came over the speaker system to warn that there was just a minute left until the bell rang, echoed throughout the halls. The three of us were forced to part our ways, and I lamented on the fact that I had next to no classes with any of my friends for I had stupidly opted to take the harder ones that they couldn't get into.


Thankfully though, it was my hardest classes I had in the afternoon. They were filled with students who weren't quite as immature as the rest of our classmates. There were even some mixed classes with juniors and seniors who couldn't care less about freshman nonsense. I was left alone then for the most part. The abuse merely continued in the hallways instead, which was manageable.

Until a face I certainly didn't want to see again popped up out of nowhere next to my locker when I was about to switch out my books.

     "You thought about my offer anymore?" Thallium asked with an awful grin.
     "Honestly, I've been trying to forget you even exist," I snapped back, "I didn't realize you were such a disgusting lowlife."
     "Pfft, wow. What an insult. Seriously though, the offer still stands if you want it."
     "I don't want it.  Clearly, I don't, so will you please leave me alone, let me get my books, and stop getting enjoyment out of stupid, untrue gossip?"
     "You're so upright. You need me to teach you how to relax."

Rage soared through my chest as Thallium went to place his hand on my shoulder. I harshly swatted his arm away.

     "Don't you dare try to touch me." I warned.
     "Chill out."
     "No. I mean it. Leave me the hell alone. Try to touch me again or keep up this pathetic attitude of yours and I'm going straight to the principal."
     "And also be known as a snitch? Now, Meadow, I don't think-"


Thallium raised his arm. I didn't have the chance to shove him away, for a blur darted past me. Sap dug his shoulder deep into Thallium's chest as he bowled him backwards. Thallium flailed as he stumbled and nearly fell. Since he clutched his chest tightly and tightened his face extremely in pain, it was safe to say Sap's attack had hit the right mark. Thallium stood as straight as he could as soon as he could, but he wasn't able to hide his current, hurt state despite his best effort. I felt no sympathy for him, and Sap obviously didn't either.

     "She said keep your hands off her and leave her alone, you nasty ass!" Sap growled as he towered over Thallium with a dangerous presence I didn't know he possessed.
     "Calm down," Thallium frowned, his voice strained, "I was just teasing. Having fun."
     "Does it look like she's having fun?" Sap asked back angrily, "If your idea of enjoyment is humiliating and abusing your classmates, then you're a messed up, sick bastard!"
     "Like I was actually going to do anything to her. You're the one who's going to be getting in trouble for this."

Thallium clutched at the hurt area on his chest again.

     "You're going to explain to everyone that you got it whatever bruise I hope forms because you were being pushed away from the girl you were mercilessly bullying? And if you lie, you think anyone is going to take your false words over Meadow's, whom all the teachers and members of the administration adore? I don't think so. Oh, also, you can say goodbye to your new job. Have you completely forgotten that my dad owns the business you joined, or that you signed an honor code pledging you would adhere to its guidelines whether on the job or not? I think you've definitely broken that, and my dad takes such things very seriously."
     "Blackmailing me, Spring? Really?" Thallium scoffed.
     "Oh no, not blackmailing. I am promising you that your job is gone. Absolutely, 100% guaranteeing you that you're out. Got it?"

Thallium scowled, but went silent.

     "Now, get!" Sap shooed viciously, ushering him away.


The dark, venomous expression Sap wore that had even me cowering instantly melted away to reveal the soft Sap I knew. He gave me a supportive smile, and when he placed his hand on my shoulder I didn't mind at all.

     "You alright?" he wondered.

I tried to answer back, but I couldn't. My mouth opened and closed briefly, and I gave a pitiful nod of my head. Sap simply smiled at me harder before pulling me into a hug. A hug that was entirely different from the one Sunset had given me. That's how it was to me, at least. I hadn't even realized I had been shaking until I felt myself doing so against Sap's chest, and being pressed against him like that had emotions that I didn't know what in the world they were bouncing up and down and all around inside me. My heart was racing again, and I could tell it wasn't just because of Thallium. A warmth brushed over my cheeks and launched down into my chest. I had a heightened awareness of my body and Sap's and how they fit together. The experience was unsettling, but not unpleasant. In fact, I almost wanted to cry when Sap pulled away and the sensation faltered.

     "Are you going to be alright?" Sap asked.
     "Yeah. I've only got study hall with Am and Cocoa and then History with Frost for my last two classes." I reassured him.
     "Good," Sap nodded before his eye was drawn to the clock on the wall, "I really hate to just run off, but my class is on the other side of the building-"
     "Go on ahead. I'll be perfectly fine thanks to you. Don't be late on my account." I laughed lightly.

I got a merrier smile from him for that. He gave my hand a squeeze, swiftly paced a small kiss on the side of my cheek which sent those bouncing emotions wild again, and departed. I was left standing almost in a daze, forgetting I still needed to switch my books.


I hurriedly went ahead and did that, although I had barely opened the locker door when I felt more people approaching. I was extremely glad it was Amaranth and Cocoa, but I was also mildly embarrassed. How much of that had they seen? How much had Amaranth seen? It had only been two days since Amaranth admitted his feelings about me and Sap together, and I highly doubted they had disappeared that rapidly. There was no way to read from either of their expressions just how much they had spotted though.

     "I've been trying to find you in the halls all day. How are you holding up?" Amaranth asked with worry.
     "Sorry. I've been taking the long ways around where I know the paths are quieter," I explained, "And, I suppose, I'll live until they day is over. Every minute has been positively horrible, but I can handle study hall and one more class. How are you doing by the way? I can't imagine I'm the only one involved in the gossip that people are going after. Allium and I almost never bump into each other, and I don't see Frost until next period, so I haven't been able to talk to them."
     "Ugh, people are seriously idiots," Amaranth groaned, "It's been stupid joke after stupid joke. I've been called a few things I would rather not repeat, and poor Cocoa has been pulled into some stuff too now that everyone knows we're dating."


I glanced her way.

     "Sorry about that." I apologized.

She instantly shook her head.

     "Hey, it's not your fault. I've been getting the least of it all anyway. Being thrust into the situation has also shown me that most people don't actually believe the rumor is true. Not to the crazy extents that it's professing. The overall consensus seems to be that people don't think you've slept with Am or Frost, but that they can see you and Al having gotten together a few times."
     "That I can understand," I laughed a real laugh, "With how he clings to me and teases me, it's no wonder that that's the conclusion everyone is coming to."
     "Good to see that the news if cheering you up," Cocoa laughed herself, "I've got something that might help you further as well."
     "And what's that?"
     "I'm a member of the newspaper, as you know, and so I'm really into investigative journalism. People taking digs into me has also allowed me the chance to try figuring out where this whole thing got started. I've gotten a few people alluding to some photograph they heard about from an even fewer number of people who saw it. Al has his arm around you or something, and that's all the proof this rumor has to defend itself."
     "Oh my god!" I exclaimed suddenly, making Amaranth and Cocoa jump, "This is all Purity's doing! I should have known. Charming and I went to that new activity center on Monday. He was teasing me like normal- putting his arm around my shoulder only because he wanted to grab my ear. Purity appeared out of nowhere to take a picture of that, and when we bumped into her Charming made her angry. I'm sure this is her revenge, although I have no idea why she brought Am and Frost into this too."
     "She hates everyone connected to you. If she has a chance to bring all of us down, why not go ahead and do it?" Amaranth hypothesized as he folded his arms.


The three of us contemplated, discussed, and vented all during study hall. We didn't even notice the stares and teasing whispers sent our way seeing as how we were so focused on trying to understand Purity for the thousandth time. I practically jumped when the bell rang. For the first time that day, time had flown. Frost, the big sweetheart, met me outside study hall in order for us to walk together to History, which we further braved together. The shock of the rumor had worn off considerably, and most everyone was more interested in the fact that the day was almost rather than the two of us. History ended harmlessly too. Despite that things had improved slightly, I was naturally more than eager to get home to my room. I couldn't ignore that I really had to use the facilities though, and that little detour had me running into the instigator of my horrible day herself.

     "Hey, Envy. I'll get out of your way." Purity said to me in her 'sweet' voice as she mocked accommodating me as she made to leave the room.
     "Oh no you don't," I frowned and stuck my arm out to stop her from leaving, "I'm talking to you whether you like it or not."
     "You seem awfully uptight."
     "You think so?" I barked furiously at her, "Excuse me for being a little 'uptight'. Because of you starting that horrible rumor that has turned me into the school whore, I have been bullied, teased, and half assaulted! I get that you're blackhearted, but this is low even for you!"

I had half a mind to smash Purity's face in with a good punch when she only kept smiling at me and motioned what I assume was supposed to be a comforting motion to me that was far too over-exaggerated to be believable. I hoped Purity wasn't paying a lot of money for her acting classes.

     "Shh. Shh, Envy. It's okay. I've heard how nasty that rumor going around is. I get that you're a little unstable emotionally because of it. That's why I won't get upset for you incorrectly blaming me."


I don't know how I was able to stop myself from punching her. If there was anything Purity was right about, it was that I was emotionally unstable. Punching her felt like a really good way to relieve my frustrations. For whatever incomprehensible reason though, I allowed her to escape without being harmed.

     "Have you not gotten it through your thick head that you're a terrible liar? No one ever believes this innocent act you put on, so if you want to get away with things you need to change your tactic," I explained to her irritably, "And anyway, I have proof this is all your doing. That photo you took of Al and me- that's what people are saying spurred on the rumor!"

Purity let out an irritating, fake gasp of embarrassment and surprise.

     "Oh my," she began, "I'm sorry. I did show that photo to a few people. I told them that I thought you and Allium would look cute together as a couple. However, I can't help it if they misconstrued my words and turned it all into something nasty."
     "Please! You're the queen of misconstruing words in order for them to fit your needs! Remember when you lied to your mom that what Snowbell felt was how everyone felt about you? Remember purposely goading her to violently berate me because you hated that I refused to adore you? Look me in the eye and honestly tell me that's not what you were doing back then, and maybe I might consider trusting you now!"
     "Envy, are you on your period? You're being a little too dramatic." Purity asked, still smiling as she shook her head slightly.

Crying out in frustration, I turned on my heel, stomped out of the bathroom, and completely forgot I had gone into that room for an entirely different purpose than to confront Purity. I don't know why I had even tried with her!


I also didn't how I managed to get myself home alive. I didn't remember a single part of the drive back when I stepped through the front door.

And that one step was the furthest I could make it. Even the energy to stand was lost. My back slid down against the wood until I was sitting with Button's eager welcoming barks turning into sympathetic whines and gentle pressings of her nose on my cheek. I held my head in my hands and fought with myself not to cry. How desperately did I want to cry! Yet, I didn't want this situation to get the best of me. Purity would win if I let something I knew wasn't true break me down. It was trying and difficult, especially since I couldn't quite grasp how Allium angering Purity resulted with her going after me instead, but I kept the worst of the dark, swirling emotions at bay. Snuggling Button in my arms helped a great deal.

     "I miss the days when I could just stay here and play with you all the time. What I wouldn't give to have things go back to that way for a little while." I spoke reminiscently as I petted her.

Somehow, I was getting a small grip on everything when my eyes threatened more tears. However, that was because Eden had come back home from grocery shopping. Well, he was trying to come home. Having no idea of my position within the house, he accidentally slammed the door into me, which sent pain scattering down my back and Button squirming out of my now too tight grasp.

     "What the-" Eden's voice questioned in great confusion from outside.
     "Sorry!" I called to him, "I was just...petting Button. Let me move."


I hurriedly stood up. I did twinge in pain, but it quickly subsided as the bump had done no real damage. Eden set his bags down and chuckled at me as he shook his head.

     "Next time you're going to take up a position right behind the door, give me some warning, huh?" he teased merrily.
     "Y-yeah. Sorry." I replied, forcing as much of a smile as I could muster.

Once again, I don't know why I bothered. Eden was not an idiot. There was no way he was going to miss how my eyes were swollen and slightly red from those unshed tears. He would spot right away how down my mood was. And he did.

     "What happened?" he asked with concern.
     "It..." I mumbled quietly before just spitting it out, "Purity."
     "Oh, lovely. What has she done now?"
     "Al made her angry when we ran into her on Monday, and now she's taken out that anger on me, him, Amaranth, and Frost. She started this horrible rumor that I spend all my free time sleeping around with them, both one at a time and all together. And we're in high school. I don't think I should have to explain how people jumped all over that."
     "Did anyone hurt you?" Eden pressed further with great concern.
     "Thallium kept trying to touch my shoulder when I told him to stop. Sap practically decked him into the ground though and guaranteed him that he would lose the job he just got at one of Mr. Spring's businesses."
     "What's this kid's last name?"
     "Puff."
     "Thallium Puff. What a stupid name."
     "Well, he's stupid, so it suits him."
     "He's parents knew what they were doing when they named him. Hopefully, they'll also know what to do with him when I give them a call to let them know exactly what he's been up to. I just wish the same could be said for that horrible Mrs. Waters. I'm gonna pray before I call that I get her husband. He'll at least listen to me."
     "Eden, you can't call anyone's parents! That'll just make everything worse!"
     "You think I'm just going to sit by and do nothing? It's not like your classmates are going to own up to their actions, and how else are their parents going to know they've got nasty little pricks for children unless someone tells them?"
     "Can you just consider not calling? For me?"
     "I will consider it, but it's not going to change my mind."
     "Fine." I sighed.


Slowly accepting I was going to have to deal with Eden's stubborn protectiveness, I sent myself outside to let the calm, late summer wind relax me. I almost wished I had more homework to distract me, or even chores. Eden and I were both too neat of people to leave much mess around the house, and Eden usually did most of the cleaning while I was away at school anyway. It wasn't like the shut-in did much besides working, going grocery shopping, heading to the gym with Blaze, and occasionally doing something nerdy with Ms. Charm, so he had lots of free time. I contemplated using the definite pity points I had at that moment to convince him to take me somewhere we didn't normally go. A fancy restaurant. A drive out of the city. Just, somewhere. Sitting on my old swingset would only appease me for so long.


I was grinding my heel into the dirt, hardly aware I was scuffing up my nice shoe, when my phone rang. I almost let it keep ringing. Multiple names on my contact list had been blocked when those people who I kinda, sorta knew turned on me and joined in on the teasing by way of the most awful kind of texts. There had even been a few pictures of things I had never wanted to see in my life. I was afraid it was going to be another one deciding to strike me after I had reached the safety of my house, but blessedly I found out the caller was merely Sap.

     "Hey." I answered as normally as I could, standing up and walking around to give my legs something else to do.
     "Hey. How did the last bit of school treat you?" he answered back curiously.
     "It was...decent, compared to everything else. I found out it was, get this, Purity of all people who started the rumor. She denied it of course when I accidentally encountered her in the bathroom."
     "That girl, seriously..."

I could almost picture Sap shaking his head.

     "It's a wonder she has as many friends as she does." he continued.
     "Nah, she doesn't have any friends at all. There are people who say they are, but I have a feeling they all secretly hate her too. I bet even Flow won't stick around her forever."
     "It almost makes me feel sorry for her. Almost. But anyway, let's not talk about Purity. I called for an entirely different reason. Have you checked your email since you got home?"
     "No. I'm actually dreading seeing what's in there."
     "Eh, right, I can imagine what those idiot classmates of ours would think to send you. I can tell you there's at least one good one in there though. It's weird because I heard through a source that the student council wasn't going to release the information until the next newsletter on Monday, but apparently the student council just sent out all the homecoming details to everyone on the mailing list right before school got out."
     "Huh. Weird, but definitely good news. What's the theme?"
     "Among the Stars. The celebrity type stars."
     "It's not a groundbreaking theme, but it'll do."
     "Yeah."

The tone of his voice suddenly changed.

     "Since they've released the date and stuff, I was thinking..." he began, "I know I didn't have to wait until the date was released to ask. Maybe you would rather have this done in person, but I won't be able to see you in person until tomorrow and I thought this could help cheer you up. I hope it cheers you up, I mean. I might just be being presumptuous."
     "Sap?"
     "Sorry. Being vague. Got it. Okay, I wanted to take this chance to ask if you would go to homecoming with me. Honestly, there's no one else I want to go with but you."

Those bouncing emotions from before resurfaced with new passion. I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face or quell the lightness of my body that was similar to what one felt when one got off a roller coaster.

     "Yes. I'd really love to go with you." I answered back brightly.


Eden stared at me funny when I walked back inside. He had good reason to though. I was on cloud nine. Not only had Sap asked me to homecoming, but he had also asked if I wanted to join him for dinner at his dad's new restaurant the following evening. It was the one Thallium had gotten a job as a busboy at. Mr. Spring had agreed with Sap that Thallium had significantly broken the honor code Mr. Spring set up at all his businesses as well as that it was best if he left. I wondered for a while if Sap's dad was really that strict about his code, or if he was firing Thallium more because he had a soft spot for me. I made myself feel not so guilty by coming to the conclusion that it was a combination of both. Anyway, naturally, I agreed that dinner sounded wonderful too. There was no confusion that it was a date. Despite having had all those strong signs that such a thing would be coming, I was still rather shocked by the turn of events.

I nearly forgot about my ordeals that day, and I only began to dread returning back to school as I approached the building on the drive there. Delaying heading inside as long as possible, I parked myself outside in a slightly more secluded corner where the school had some picnic tables set up. However, I wouldn't be alone for long seeing as how Cocoa showed up.

     "The strangest, and kind of frightening, thing happened last night." she revealed as she sat down next to me.

Her perceptive ears had picked up some more interesting details. Although, according to her, her ears had had no choice but to catch what was going on.

     "What was that?" I asked to prompt her to continue when she paused for effect.
     "It was absolute chaos at the Waters house last night."
     "How so?"
     "Okay, to start off- the other neighbors and I call Mrs. Waters 'Mrs. Scream' instead, since she is constantly shouting for the whole world to hear."
     "Oh, right. I forgot you and Purity pretty much live right next to each other."
     "Yeah. I really miss the days before they moved in sometimes. Mrs. Waters is seriously the worst. Loud, always poking her nose in our business, snooping around as if she owns the block, and all that good stuff. Mr. Waters, however, everyone loves him. He's like the nicest person on the planet. I've never heard him say a bad word about anyone."


I nodded. I already knew that very well.

     "Honestly, I don't know how he's able to stand living with a wife like Mrs. Waters," she continued, "Maybe she's super nice when it's only them, but I certainly can't imagine it. Especially not after last night. Something finally pushed Mr. Waters too far. Mrs. Waters began one of her usual tirades. Whatever. I didn't pay attention to it. Then a minute or so later, Mr. Waters started yelling at her right back. His voice was just as loud, and they were going at it for forever! My dad even considered calling the cops! Our house is too far away to actually hear the words, but for a brief moment I wanted to know what caused Mr. Waters to fight back for once."
     "I wonder..." I mused quietly, only pressing on when Cocoa looked at me curiously, "I told Eden about what happened yesterday, of course. He told me he was going to call Purity's house, hopefully getting Mr. Waters, to let him know what she had started. Purity's mom would have just slammed the phone down once she heard his voice. The two loathe each other. But what if Eden was able to tell Mr. Waters, and what if he then tried to go over the situation with his wife? We both know she would deny everything and proclaim Purity to be perfect like normal. I've seen Mr. Waters reprimanded Purity though and try to parent her correctly. It could be that he knew she was to blame for the rumor and was trying to deal with her, but Mrs. Waters refused to let him blame her. That's when she could have started yelling, and Mr. Waters could've gotten fed up for once, which is why he yelled back."
     "That actually sounds very logical," Cocoa agreed, "I could get behind that idea, or that Eden calling the house to explain Purity's actions had something to do with it."
     "If that is true, I feel bad. Mr. Waters has been as nice to me as Purity and her mom have been horrible to me. I would hate to be the reason why he snapped." I pouted dismally.
     "But you wouldn't be the reason, Meadow. The person to blame is his own daughter," Cocoa comforted, "Eden was right to make the call. You can't do nothing in a situation like this. Even if doing so caused a fight, that's a problem between Purity's parents and Purity's parents alone. You have to do what you have to do to keep yourself safe. Just one rumor has people harassing you and pushing their boundaries way too far. Imagine if you stayed quiet and Purity kept it coming. Something seriously bad could happen. It's better for two parents to argue over the actions of their child rather for them to live in a, supposedly, happy bubble while someone else hurts to keep that bubble afloat."

I just nodded again.


Cocoa and I got away from that topic as it wasn't doing much to help me, but I soon found myself alone with simply the quiet of the waving branches of the trees and the cars going by on the other side of the road to keep me company. Cocoa had other things to do to get ready for the day. However, I didn't mind being alone. It definitely beat being surrounded by all my immature, rumor-loving classmates. That's who I thought was there when a pair of hands unexpectedly placed themselves on my shoulders. I jumped a few inches off the bench. So distracted making more doodles in my notebook, I hadn't noticed the person coming over at all. My heart attack subsided, thankfully, greatly when I saw the person was simply Allium.

     "Sorry about that. I should have figured you'd be more on edge today." he apologized.
     "No, it's alright. I was just too far in my head," I replied with a small smile, "Drawing doodles requires much concentration after all."
     "You call those doodles? I call them masterpieces." Allium remarked.

His tone was teasing, but there was something about the way he spoke that was serious too. Allium in general was more serious as well. It was throwing me off a smidge.

     "I think you'll be very pleased to know that I did all my homework last night. I even got started on the paper my Literature class was assigned Monday." he revealed.
     "That is honestly good news to hear. I'm proud of you, Charming. You've even come to school earlier, which is a nice change from you running in at the last second."


Allium beamed at that comment. He shifted and gave me a look that really got my brain thinking that something was up.

     "That's because I've got something I have to do this morning," he explained before pausing, "Did you get that student council email last night?"
     "To tell the truth, I haven't touched my account since Tuesday. I left Eden my password this morning so he can clear out all the nasty emails and pictures I know are going to be in there, because I don't want to clean it myself. I've heard about the email and homecoming though. I also got all the information through Sap when he..."

I trailed off. Allium was now giving me a curious and mildly suspicious stare. I was a little nervous about saying anything since I knew Allium would lovingly tease me about it nonstop, although at the same time I wanted to blurt out the truth. Just thinking about the upcoming dance and even the next evening zapped away the parts of my mood that had gone bad.

     "Sap told me everything when he called to ask me to go to the dance with him," I revealed, "And I said I would go with him."


There were several reactions I was expecting from my friend. Allium's smile dropping off his face into pure oblivion and his eyes glazing over lightly as he glanced down at the ground was not one of them. A little lump caught in my throat and my chest tightened ever so slightly. I could hardly recall the last time I had seen Allium make such an expression. That had been almost a year ago when I had been sick in the hospital again, and he had been the only one around when I had a terrible spasm that nearly had me passing out and had my heart rate all over the place.

     "You did, huh?" he asked with disappointment.
     "I did." I answered hesitantly, entirely unsure what to do or make of the situation.

At that, Allium let out a massive sigh.

     "Geez, and I thought seeking you out first thing in the morning was too eager a move. Sap seriously asked you over the phone?"
     "He said he wouldn't be able to see me until today, and he hoped asking me would cheer me up. And it did." I admitted sheepishly with a tiny shrug.
     "I'm glad for that, but..."

It was his turn to trail off. Unable to say anything myself, I waited as the seconds ticked by. Allium finally shook his head and let out one more sigh- one that was more accepting and tried to cast off his disappointment.

     "Well, oh well. If you move too slow, you move too slow." he said.


I blinked a few times in confusion, although one truth was rapidly settling in.

     "You were going to ask me to the dance too?" I questioned in awe.
     "Yeah. I even got dressed up all fancy and whatnot." Allium gestured to himself, which did explain his highly unusual and more mature style.
     "I...I guess I'm just a little thrown off here. You still have plenty of time to find an actual date. Why are you coming to me first?"
     "Maybe because I wanted you to be my date?" Allium replied with a raised brow.
     "But..."

The rest of the reality of what was happening was taking much longer to sink into my thick skull.

     "But... but, wouldn't that mean you'd have to...like me...as..."
     "More than a friend?" Allium finished the sentence, "Exactly."

Allium gave me a wry grin of exasperation when I could only stand there dumbfounded.

     "Meadow, please tell me you haven't seriously thought that all the flirting I've been doing with you has been nothing but friendly teasing. I know you're still kinda naive even after all these years, but you can't have thought that during the times I've been making it obvious how attracted I am to both you and your appearance that the feelings I have are strictly platonic."

I froze when I had to admit to myself that I had just thought it was friendly teasing. That it was all just platonic. Allium waited and waited for a response, and when he understood exactly what was going on he laughed.

     "Oh, hell," he chuckled loudly, "I should have known. This is you we're talking about."


Unfortunately, there was no way I could be jovial about the matter like Allium was, for I felt absolutely horrible. How could I be the genius everyone claimed I was if I couldn't even notice something as stupidly obvious as Allium actually flirting with me? Now he had gone through so much effort- the clothes, getting up early, I'm sure doing his homework in a timely manner was a part of this too- only to be shot down before he could ask me the question he wanted to ask.

     "Meadow, I can see you freaking out. Chill," Allium lightly commanded me with a smile, "You're probably thinking I'm way more serious about this than I really am. I do find you attractive, and I have been thinking recently that if we gave 'us' a go that there might be something there. I will admit again that I don't strictly like you as just a friend, but I'm not so far away from that path that I'm going to go cry my eyes out or linger on the matter for long. I was simply thinking it would be fun to give us a little peek at what changing things might be like. That's all. I swear."
     "You can say that, but I still feel horrible." I said hopelessly.
     "Alright, then answer me this; if Sap hadn't already asked you, would you have said yes to me? Just give me an honest response, and I'll be perfectly content."

I almost blurted out 'yes' out of instinct, but the word took longer to come out. I did have to stop and think. Allium as a potential romantic interest? I truly hadn't considered the matter before. However, something Amaranth said floated to me from my memory. It also had me remarking that Allium asking me to the dance was incredibly similar to Cocoa asking Amaranth on a date. I wasn't opposed to the idea. I might not have considered ever going with him myself, but there was enough intrigue to make me curious. That feeling intensified when I stopped being so timid and glanced into Allium's eyes. He was different to me in that moment. I realized that I could see him as someone I could want to be with, as well as that my platonic feelings for him weren't locked in place either. It was a somewhat overwhelming experience, but not burdening.

     "I would have said yes." I finally admitted when I worked everything out.
     "Good. Now, listen. I obviously knew there was something brewing between you and Sap already and that you agreeing to go with me was kinda a long stretch. If you want to be with him, then you go ahead and be with him. I'm not going to try and get in your way. No matter what happens, I would rather give everything up than lose you as a friend."

He spoke so honestly and with such heartfelt conviction that I found my heart skipping a beat or two, which I tried not to let show.

     "Although," he continued with a teasing tone that was much more like what I expected from him, "If things don't work out with you two, perhaps to help cheer me up from my rejection you can promise me that you'll at least consider giving an adorable stud muffin like me a chance?"

My melancholy mood broke, and I laughed. There was the Allium I knew.

     "Promise." I smiled.
4 comments on "Gen One- Chapter Twenty Two"
  1. Aw, I love Allium. And I like Sap a little more now :)
    (But I still ship Amaranth and Ethereal!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man, that final scene just hit me right in the heart. Been in both Al and Ethereal's positions before. : (

    Okay seeing as how nervous Sap was when he called to ask her to prom, I'm going to give up on my "Is Sap gay?" theory. Running out of reasons for why they wouldn't be a good couple. He's protective of her and actually steps up when she needs protecting, they get along, he makes her laugh, they're adorable, she obviously likes him, their families get along... Yeah I know the other shippers can make the same arguments for Amaranth, but SAP ISN'T DATING SOMEONE ELSE. SO HAH.

    *Winner*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Allium is cute. It is a shame that Sap got in first!! Gggrrr he aggravates me!! You know I would much rather Meadow with Allium than Sap!!

    Purity - it is about time that everyone dished back what she is dishing out to people. She kind of reminds me of my Lime when my first gen were at school - she is the thorn in everyones side!!

    I seriously feel sorry for Purity's Dad having to live with the mother and daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Makayla- Allium is just too loveable <3 If only I could have Ethereal be with everyone at once! I mean, I could do that, but I don't think that'd fit with their characters XD
    Glad ya like Sap more. I'm finding I like him more now myself now that his glasses are gone ^^

    @Cece- I actually felt like getting a bit teary when I began to write that part! Poor Al, he did indeed go through a lot of effort only to put Ethereal in a position where she had to reject him :( He is the type to bounce back quickly like what you see though, and y'all may find soon that he hasn't gotten the bad end of the situation ;D

    Yeah, I'll just go ahead and confirm now that Sap isn't gay. The homosexual aspect isn't something that will be focused on in this generation, but it will definitely pop up at some point down the road.
    I was taking pictures for the next chapter. Sap and Ethereal look really good together, and they do get along so well. In fact, they'll soon be finding out exactly how they get along ;)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9