Top Social

An Unforeseen Complication

Hey, all! I was really really hoping I wouldn't have to make a post this like, but, despite weeks of working on the issue, I don't have much of a choice.

The Tuesday I posted the previous update, my laptop was working perfectly fine. There wasn't the slightest sign of anything being wrong, and it shut down normally. Things got weird when I went to turn it on the following morning. The LED keyboard lit up, but the screen remained black no matter how long I waited. I eventually went with the obvious try of turning it off to turn it back on to see if that would fix it- except I couldn't even turn the laptop off. Holding down the power button just sent the fans into overdrive. Pressing the power again quieted the fans to their normal state. Now, the laptop's battery died completely about a month after I bought the laptop seven years ago. It hasn't been in the laptop since, so I was left with pulling out the adapter to turn the computer off that way. The adapter has accidentally been wiggled loose, forcing the computer off multiple times before with no issue. This time, unfortunately, after letting the laptop rest and putting the adapter back in the machine is now entirely unresponsive.

I've talked to various people and even took it to the IT department at my work. No simple fix ideas have produced any results, and IT told me there was a failure somewhere that would require much more detailed work. I do have the money to fix it, but the problem is given what happened last year with the big crash due to outdated software and the accidental wipe of my data I've known the laptop was on its way out despite still running relatively well for such an older computer. The plan has been to soon have my brother help me build a high quality desktop instead. The overall timetable was that, having already paid the money needed to buy my grandfather's car, I would head down to New Mexico with my sister, buying us two plane tickets, to drive it back to our home, at minimum taking three days, once the paperwork was finished. I'm still waiting for that to happen, which is what most of my saved money is being held for. I would then save up for the desktop.

Being on the verge of building a new computer, I just can't see the point in spending what will probably be a couple more hundred dollars fixing what I was going to get rid of anyway. That then means that I am unable to produce any Sims content until the new desktop is built as all I have is my phone and my mom's laptop she's letting me borrow. It has nowhere near the capability of handling all the stuff I had on my Alienware. I did take pictures for one short story, I can write short stories without pictures if anyone is interested in those, and I'm able to write this generation's overview. Still, I know that's not a lot. My hands are kind of tied though until I have my own computer again. With the car situation and holidays looming, the earliest that will happen will be around the end of the year by my general estimates. Thanks to the previous data wipe though, I did go ahead and purchase a BackBlaze account (they're great, check them out if you're interested in such a life saving service), so all my data remains safe. Maybe I can have the next generation picking up in later January, but obviously everything is highly up in the air at the moment. I wish I could say it wasn't so, but that's how things are.

I will put that one short story up when it's done, I'll do the generation write up, and I'll take a look at doing those picture-less short stories. If there's anything else people would like to see that I'm capable of producing, I'm option to any suggestions! I hate to leave the blog so inactive, even if I'm glad the laptop held out enough to at least let me finish the generation. There's also 'Devout' I produce on Tapas if anyone's interested in more reading material.

Again, sorry for this unfortunate delay, and I'm eternally grateful as always for those who read what I do and enjoy it right alongside me. It means a whole lot. I hope things are going better on your end! Everyone, have a great week.

~Kelsey
7 comments on "An Unforeseen Complication"
  1. I'm glad your laptop held up enough to let you finish the generation without issues. I'm hoping that when you are able to do Color my World again, you'll be able to do a few extra posts to make up for the lost time. After all, you can write the chapters before taking the pictures.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have everything backed up! Too often I see people on YouTube and blogs who lose everything and have to abandon storylines in the middle.

    It's sad to wait until January for the next generation but I will wait!! Excited for you to be able to start working on it again.

    In the meantime I'd love to see short stories, with or without pictures, and any snippets of your current writing projects are appreciated! I just read back through TGO So now I guess I'll work my way back through CMW while I'm waiting for everything to sort itself out :)

    I've been wanting to start my own blog for a while but our laptop is the oldest thing Alice and can't handle more than 3 expansions. That means no mods or cc, which I can't stand for story writing and can barely stand for free play. The biggest frustration- if I use move objects the whole computer crashes. I never realized how much I loved that cheat...


    Wishing you a speedy new computer and a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read back through the entire blog...but I did it too fast! Can't wait for more content. Now, if I can just stop myself from checking 6 times a day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being so supportive as always! I've been meaning to post an update soon about how things have progressed (or, technically, not progressed very much), so I'll have that up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pressure! The way did this challenge inspired me with a story of my own so I've been working on that. It'll be ages until I can do it as my current pc cannot handle anything at all, but I'm excited nonetheless!

      I can't wait to see how everything develops in the next installment! I've been imagining Dia showing up to Arbor as a ghost and telling him to save Nutmeg lol :)

      Delete
  5. I hope everything worked out with the computer. I would hate for you to lose any of that hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know timelines change, just wanted to post and let you know you still have our support and I'm still checking frequently for the day when it all comes together again!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9