Top Social

Gen One- Chapter Nineteen


I lazily flipped to the next page, sighing and wishing the situation I was in would be over already. It was only the very afternoon following the morning where I woken up to find that I had reverted back to my white coloring, and already I was being driver crazy by boredom. I was truly and utterly trapped in the house. Eden had made a point of going to every room and even double-checking all the windows to make sure they were covered with blinds or drapes on the off chance that someone would sneak up close enough to the house to accidentally see me how I actually was. Not being able to look outside was more bothersome than I wanted to admit given how used to being able to come and go at my will I had grown.

I suppose that was part of the reason why Eden made a shopping trip where the sole purpose of it was to get me items that would appease both my boredom and frustrations. Besides snacks, magazines, and a few new movies, he had also purchased me a white night shirt. For the several days I had of being Ethereal, I could at least have one item of clothing that matched me. I was giddy enough because of the gift, until I began pondering the other reason why Eden was choosing to be incredibly accommodating. Unfortunately, I remembered what he told me all those years back the first time we had done this- that me being stressed and panicked about the change could potentially cause the chemical to have an adverse reaction that could kill me. Back then I had assumed the issue would have been no worry, but now that I knew about the possibility it became almost all I could think about. I latched onto my entertainment because I did become stressed and worried. It took a lot of effort to forget the dangers of the mysterious injection we so eagerly jamming into my bloodstream.


There was a small window of opportunity where I could break free past the barrier of my house. I was still able to communicate through the use of a phone. Too wrapped up in the whole thing to think of the idea myself, it was Allium calling me that made me realize I was not nearly as isolated as I thought.

     "Hey, Medyyyy. How's it?" he started the conversation off with a normal greeting of his.
     "Things could be better." I replied.
     "Oh no."
     "What?"
     "That was too negative of an answer. I was hoping for something positive."
     "Why?"
     "Welllll...okay, so, there's that assignment we had in Science, you know? We both know it's due tomorrow, and we both know I'm a procrastinating idiot. I was hoping you would be in a good enough mood so that my begging for you to come over and help me, again, would be successful."
     "I would actually love to get out of the house at the moment," I laughed lightly, "But, unfortunately, Eden's got me under quarantine."
     "Yeah?"
     "I'm coming down with something, it seems."
     "You sound alright."
     "Uh-huh. I feel mostly alright, but Am and Set yesterday both pointed out that I looked pale. I've gotten ridiculously more pale since then, so Eden's making sure to keep me away from the big bad germs until we can get a better grasp at what's going on."
     "Ehhhh..." Allium partly whined.

He was quiet for a moment.

     "How pale are you? Like Sap pale?"
     "I'm positively arctic- like a polar bear in the middle of a blizzard."
     "So more like Purity pale?" Allium laughed.
     "Yes. Exactly like that." I laughed back, knowing he thought I was being sarcastic.
     "Eden's right then. You need to stay in quarantine and get better. The last thing we need is for you to become like that piece of work in any way, shape, or form. You got that?"
     "Got it," I smiled widely, "Although, Charming?"
     "Yes'm?"
     "If you want, I can still walk you through the assignment over the phone. I'm terribly bored, so I'm up for anything really."
     "Yes, you are amazing!"
     "Alright, just let me-"
     "Ethereal!"

Eden was knocking at the door. I hurriedly covered the microphone in hopes that Allium hadn't caught that. Ever since that one close call at the camp-out, Eden had a penchant for calling me by my real name when Allium was accidentally too near for comfort.

     "Eden needs to talk to me. I'll call you back in a second." I told Allium quickly but nonchalantly, and I hung up the second he said goodbye.


I didn't bother bringing up the little incident. It wasn't as if Eden knew I was on the phone, and I didn't need him worrying that calling me Ethereal even in the safety of our own home was too risky. I opened the door to let him in, and he came in with an encouraging smile of his face.

     "How are you holding up?" he wondered.
     "I would love to be able to go outside, but other than that I'm good." I shrugged.
     "I'm sorry that you do have to be stuck inside, but I've got some good news for you that I think might help you cheer up."
     "Oh?"
     "As I'm sure you are aware, I've been doing a lot of talking with my 'friends' due to the green fading. I just got off the phone with one of them, and it was revealed to me that we're finally making progress. It's been long enough since I snatched you. The Company is slowly turning their attention away from the matter and from us. We haven't made any groundbreaking breakthroughs yet, but I can tell you that the percentage of us outing The Company versus us having to live in hiding if we can't has changed from 50-50 to 60-40."
     "You're serious?" I asked with stunned amazement.
     "As serious as can be." Eden confirmed.

I had no words to say. I pulled Eden into a hug and thoroughly enjoyed the relief that came from now being able to hope more securely in the fact that everything would be just fine in the end.


Eden and I talked and rejoiced in the first good news to ever really come since he took me. It was hard to believe that anyone was trying given how I never saw what was going on behind the scenes, but the change in percentages bolstered my confidence. I eventually sat down on the bed while Eden stood as we talked over possibilities for the future That conversation did begin to taper off though, and in that lull my mind wandered to something different. I took Eden's hand in mine and stared at it.

     "What are you doing?" he asked curiously.
     "I can't get my head around it. When I'm green, I'm only a few shades lighter than you. However, how we compare when I'm my actual color...well, I've just never gotten the chance before to think about this me compared to everyone else since my eyes have been opened. I truly do understand so much more about why albinos are singled out so intensely."

Eden thought over my words, but soon a wistful grin appeared on his lips.

     "You're thinking of that. The only thing I can think of is how small your hand still is."
     "Please don't go all 'sentimental parent' on me now."
     "I can't help it!" he exclaimed merrily, "You've grown so much, but you continue to have more to go. Meanwhile, I've gotten so old."
     "You're thirty-four, Eden."
     "Exactly. Old. You'll say the same thing when you reach my age."
     "No, then you'll be complaining that you're 52, and I'll be teasing you by saying I bet you wish you were a young thirty-four-year-old like me."
     "Heh, and you're probably right."


That afternoon turned out not to be so bad. Allium really is an idiot, academically anyway, and going through that long assignment with him took quite a while. I had to have Eden make me dinner that I could have in my room because I was determined that Allium and I weren't going to stop until it was all done. I also had to be perched on my bed so I could charge my phone due to dying battery because of the long call. The boredom returned with a vengeance after that. My friends had to go to school, and I was left with Eden and Button for company. Button was ecstatic because I had time to play with her like I hadn't had time in years. We broke the new rope Eden bought since we played tug-of-war so much. I was surprised that Eden and I ended up rubbing each other the wrong way much more than normal. We weren't used to being around each other in such vast quantities of time anymore, and thus we had forgotten how to cope with the other's peculiarities. In most instances we moved past the annoyances quickly though and went about our ways.


It was crystal clear on the third day when I only felt mildly ill that the injection definitely wasn't working as it used to. If the last time was anything to go off of, I should have already experienced severe nausea and that burning sensation. I should have already reverted back to green. However, I remained as white as white could be. I both minded and didn't mind the extra time as Ethereal. I still wanted to be white, but there were too many hours in the day in which I had absolutely nothing to do. I was tired or watching television. I never wanted to see another book in my life. Even Button got bored of our playing and wandered away to do her own things. I could only call my friends in the afternoon. Seriously feeling the weight of being stuck in the house, I took to just lying or resting motionless in various spots in the house because it was all I could do.


And it might sound crazy, but I was delighted and ecstatic when the burning came and the nausea had me camped over the toilet instead of at the table or on a couch. Both Eden and I had begun to worry that my body had actually become immune to the injection, or that it had adjusted enough to it so that another dose wouldn't be enough to change me. The symptoms of the change were a relief to see. I was more than ready to have Meadow back if it meant things could return to normal.


It was Thursday afternoon when the symptoms began to grow unbearable though. Eden drenched himself in warm clothes so we could pump the AC up to ridiculous levels to cool me down, but even then when I also ate ice like no tomorrow and took multiple lukewarm baths I couldn't stave off the heat. I was on my feet nearly all the time because I could stand the touch of my bed or the couches. My head ached with a vicious pounding that almost made me completely miss the ringing of my phone.

     "Hello?" I answered wearily.
     "Meadow? Is that you?"

It was Amaranth.

     "Yeah."
     "Sorry, you just didn't sound like you at all. Whatever you're sick with must be rather terrible, huh? Has Eden taken you to see your doctor yet?"
     "There hasn't been much of a point. It seems like I've just got a nasty cold. It's nothing Eden and I can't handle on our own, and we'd rather not waste more money on yet another trip to the hospital."
     "That makes me uneasy that you haven't been looked at, but I'll trust that you two have a better grasp and understanding of the situation than I do. I haven't seen you in almost a week now."
     "I know. Trust me, I can't wait to get out of the house either."
     "You sure it's too risky for us to come and visit? Even when you've been in the hospital you haven't been this strictly quarantined before."
     "Better to be safe than sorry, I suppose?"
     "I guess..." Amaranth mumbled uncertainly.

Guilt spun through my chest to add to the pain already plaguing me. Amaranth was the one who worried the most when any of us got sick, and he was the kind of guy who felt useless if he couldn't do something to help.

     "Hey? How about we plan something fun to do after I'm all better?" I suggested, "We do have that long weekend coming up. Maybe we can do something then if you're not working."
     "I'll have to check my schedule, but that sounds good."

He cheered up at that idea. The two of us continued to chat until I grew too exhausted, but Amaranth had to leave for work anyway so I could cut the conversation off using that as the excuse so that I didn't worry him further.


The pain soared to truly unbearable levels after dinner. I was camped out over the toilet for nearly two hours, and Eden had to carry me to bed when my stomach gave me a break, which I was incredibly impressed that he could still do. Just like last time, Eden gave me the tiniest injection of a sedative so I could slip off into unconsciousness before the pain grew absolutely agonizing. However, this time around I stayed awake just long enough to see the change begin. Darker patches formed on my skin until they took on a green tint. My eyes watered as they did something similar, and hints of green appeared on my hair roots. I would have loved to stay awake and watch the process had the pain not been so intense.

All in all, I was moderately relieved when I woke up Friday morning covered in a cold sweat with the green covering me once more. It was sad to see Ethereal go, but I was so eager to get out of the house that I didn't mind as much as I had before.


I stayed in bed and slept most of the morning. In the afternoon, I gorged myself on as much food as I wanted to make up for all that I had thrown up. By dinner, I felt practically normal. Eden let me sit outside on the swings with him, and that was when I began to wonder if I had ever felt awful at all. I was given a clear check the following morning. Eden had made me swear to return home the instant it seemed like the color was fading again, but other than that he allowed me to go my way as I typically did. Thus, I wasted no time changing and making the short drive to Mrs. Bright's stables. The two others I was originally due to meet were already there.

     "Meadow!" Sap called to me as he led Overcast around the racing oval.

Sunset whipped around from brushing Pumpkin to find that I was indeed approaching her.

     "Meadow!" she copied Sap, "We didn't think you would be coming today."

Her voice was full of concern. I gave her an encouraging grin.

     "I began to feel better yesterday, but I was exhausted so I didn't think to call anyone. I'm all good now though."
     "That's relieving. I was getting really worried. You know it scares us all when you're out for more than a few days."
     "I know. However, it really was nothing more than a nasty cold, and I'm not going to let something like that keep my down for forever. I'm ready to head out on our ride."
     "That's good," Sap joined in, having reached us, "Spice was really antsy when we came to get these two, but you weren't here to get him."
     "I'll have to get him before he throws a tantrum then." I laughed.


Spice was more or less "my" horse, like Pumpkin was Sunset's and Overcast was Sap's. They were all the children of one of the stallions Mrs. Bright bred with different mares. The three of us had been taking lessons with them for so long that Mrs. Bright had offered us to pay a fee each month for almost exclusive access to them. They were still used for lessons during the times we couldn't get them the proper exercise they needed, but other than that we could come and ride them at our convenience. Four times a week was the usual number of our visits, but for two weekend days each month we dedicated the whole day to nothing but taking them out for a day-long trot. Spice was absolutely ecstatic when I entered the stall to get him. He was the most tireless of his siblings, and he always became depressed on the few occasions where I was sick and couldn't take him on the trips. That day he was so eager to get out that he practically helped me get his gear on. We began our precession up the dirt road several minutes later. The day was warm and sunny with a cool, light wind- perfect conditions for a long ride.


The dirt road led us west away from the stables where we eventually reached an empty field that was a favorite of the horses. Sunset took Pumpkin on a gallop around the inside perimeter while Sap parked Overcast near Spice and I so we could talk.

     "I know you said you're fine, and I can clearly see that you are, but I have to ask if you really feel alright." Sap questioned with more hesitancy than was normal of him.
     "I swear I am." I said with firm dedication.
     "I don't mean to come off as overbearing about it. Sometimes I just don't feel as if I quite know what's going on. Usually, I'm one of the last to find out what's going on with you. More often than not I find out you're sick from Bud and 'Chio of all people, and I think it's safe to say I'm closer to you than you are to them." he pointed out.

My chest tightened, my expression dropped, and it was obvious Sap saw that.

     "I'm not trying to make you feel bad about it, I swear," he implored, "I just wish I was more in the loop so I could help you out more, if you needed it. I know you already have a horde of people supporting you. I guess I simply want to be a part of that horde."


I smiled lightly in embarrassment. Sap hadn't changed at all. He never missed his opportunity to make it appear as if I was worth nothing other than his highest compliments and support. I had come to accept that he didn't intend for it all to be merely pure friendliness, but he did it so naturally usually without ever acknowledging what he was doing that it left me stumped if he was pushing for a deeper meaning behind it all.

     "I get that you're not trying to make me feel guilty, but I do want to apologize. I've never intended to leave you out of the loop. It's just...when I'm sick I'm sick. Most times I barely have the energy to call one person, let alone everyone to give them the scoop that good old Meadow is ill for the millionth time."
     "I know that's why. Like I said, I only want you to know that if you need anything I am here." Sap smiled gently.
     "And that's something I've never doubted. I really appreciate it." I smiled back.
     "Who wants to race?!" Sunset's call from across the field interrupted us.

She had worked Pumpkin into a running frenzy. Spice saw that and instantly got riled up. He and his sister were the daredevils. Overcast was the lazy one.

     "I think Spice would love a go!" I laughed in response before turning to Sap, "You gonna join?"
     "I think we'll follow along. It's a miracle when I can get Overcast into a gallop. We have no hope of winning."
     "Good choice." I teased.


The race turned into an all out mad dash across Berrybrook. It turned into more of that crazy sprint instead of an actual competition. Spice and Pumpkin were neck and neck the whole way, mostly due to us having to keep to the side of the roads, and with no real goal there was no solid way for Sunset or I to decide who was the victor. We didn't mind, and the horses didn't mind either. They had gotten in their running, and that was all that mattered. Sunset and I waited around for a while for poor Sap and Overcast to catch up. We might have left them way behind just a bit. The fact that we had gone so far inspired Sap to suggest a good idea. The resort lake was nearby, and it was a horse friendly area considering it had stalls of its own. It was a fine place to take a break.

The lone reason I was reluctant to go was because I knew we would have to go down a street I avoided at all costs. It was impossible not to look at it with its obnoxious white walls gleaming brightly in the sunlight.

     "Ah, the house of the enemy. It always seems that true evils lurks under what appears the most beautiful." Sap remarked in jest as we passed Purity's house.
     "It's her mom that's evil. Purity is merely highly unpleasant." I corrected.
     "It's okay, Meadow. You can call her a bitch. We all know she is one." Sunset said.

I half shrugged. I really tended to stay away from using strong language even if I didn't mind it being spoken. It was my every intention to ignore the house as much as possible, but movement in one of the windows caught my attention. Lo and behold, I happened to spot a certain someone who tore herself away from the window once she spotted us in return. She didn't reappear, but we were just close enough for my to lock eyes with the person who had been standing near her- Mr. Waters. He gave me a friendly wave and I returned it. The two of us had an odd relationship. I had a feeling he was constantly trying to make up to me how that sleepover had gone even to this day. On the rare chances where school events had us in a somewhat close proximity, we took the chance to chat for a minute or so. The more impressive thing was that I had even received a few birthday presents from him. It made me feel like he was trying a little too hard, but the thought of turning the gifts down made me too guilty to go through with it.


The view of Purity's house was soon lost to us as we approached the resort lake. The small beach was normally off limits to everyone but the resort's guests, but considering that Sap's father was best friends with the owner we had special privileges. We made sure to stay away when there were a lot of guests around, but it was entering the slow season. The beach was empty at the moment, and we took full advantage of that. Spice and Pumpkin, thirsty from their run, merrily trotted their way over to the fresh water to drink heavily from the lake.

     "I heard a rumor recently." Sunset suddenly began.
     "Yeah?"
     "Apparently, there's some sort of tunnel underneath the water surface below the waterfall. It supposedly leads to some cave where an ancient thief hid his great treasure."
     "That's just ridiculous. There's no way anyone would be able to survive swimming directly underneath the waterfall and have the energy to swim through an underwater tunnel, especially not when burdened down with bags of gold or jewels or whatever." I said with a shake of my head.
     "I've also heard the local historical society is building up funds to investigate the claim."
     "Seems like a waste of money to me, but if they prove me wrong then more power to them."


Sunset and I chatted casually about the rumor for a few seconds more until a horrifying sound stole our attention. There was a fierce whinny, thuds on the ground, a loud cry, and then an even louder thud. Sunset and I turned to see what was going on just seconds after Sap's body collided with the ground. Overcast was stomping at the ground madly and looking plain furious, which was vastly out of character for him.

     "Sap!" I called to my friend as I leapt down to reach him.


He sat up slowly, groaning and looking none too pleased, as Sunset gently calmed Overcast down and gingerly led him further away in case he grew rowdy again.

     "What happened?" I asked, helping Sap to sit better.
     "Overcast is a big wuss, is what it is. He apparently doesn't like bigger bodies of water. I sensed he was somewhat hesitant, and when I gave him a little encouragement to get closer to the lake the goddamn hose suddenly went wild and bucked me off!"
     "Are you alright?"

I checked him for any injuries. He had some nasty bruises forming already, but I couldn't find any broken bones or the sort.

     "Annoyingly painful superficial bruises, but that is the worst of it. I'll be fine," he spoke through gritted teeth, "In a moment."


That's what he said. When he tried to stand after several minutes of rest, however, he would have collapsed right back to the ground had I not been quick enough to catch him. Sap couldn't find his footing, his eyes were glazed with pain, and he seemed to be holding back more of it.

     "I don't think you're fine at all. Perhaps you're injured more on the inside than outside." I said.
     "You should take him to the hospital. I'll call Mrs. Bright and wait here with the horses until she can come help me collect them." Sunset suggested.
     "Good plan." I agreed.
     "Bad plan," Sap challenged, "I seriously will be fine in a bit."
     "You wouldn't even be able to stand if I wasn't holding you up."
     "That's why I said 'in a bit.' Just give me a minute."
     "Another minute isn't going to make you better. You need care."
     "I don't want to go to the hospital." Sap groaned.

He gave me a nasty look when I laughed.

     "I'm sorry," I apologized as I contained my giggles, "I have to admit though that it's nice, really really nice, to be on the other side of this kind of situation for once."
     "I'm glad I could be of assistance." Sap pouted.
     "You were saying earlier you would do anything to help me."
     "An unfortunate decision on my part."
     "Well, now you know better," I laughed again, "But, come on, tough guy. We're going to the hospital whether you like it or not."
     "I don't like it..." Sap mumbled.
     "Duly noted."


I was thankful we were in the more urban part of Berrybrook. It took me all of three seconds to get a cab once we reached the road, and I used the length of the ride to the hospital to call Sap's parents. In a case of good timing, they were out shopping and weren't far away themselves. They arrived at the hospital shortly after we did. And I must say, it was even nicer that the hospital staff, which I had become incredibly familiar with, was pleased to see that I was coming in healthy for once. It was probably because the nurses knew me so well that they admitted Sap almost instantly. When his parents did arrive, I was sort of pushed to the side. I was told the news that Sap didn't have any major injuries, but after that I could tell my part had been done. I went outside, made another call, and then waited. The adrenaline was wearing off. Now that I no longer had to support my friend, the terror of what could have happened began to sink in. That Amaranth showed up so quickly was most welcome.


He sat down next to me with a concerned smile on his face.

     "So, Sap got thrown off his horse?"
     "Yeah."
     "How is he?"
     "He'll be alright. They said he was mostly just winded. He was so unsteady and dizzy because he hit his head, but it wasn't hard enough to do any real damage. They're giving him a quick check just to make sure there's no broken bones, but his parents will probably be taking him home in half an hour or so."
     "That's good."

He paused.

     "And how are you?"

I sighed.

     "Shaken up a little. I know it's not quite the same thing, but I think I understand a little better about how the rest of you feel when I get sick. Not being able to stop it, watching someone you care about be in pain, having too few abilities to really be useful, fearing how it could have been so much worse- it's not pleasant."
     "No, it isn't," Amaranth agreed, lightly taking my hand in his, "But you do what you can, and what you can do is enough. And, hey, everything has turned out well in the end so far, hasn't it? When we get together, have fun, and act like idiots, you hardly even remember the bad times happened, right? Like you said, Sap's going to be just fine. The guy is going to go home and get some rest, and I'm sure by later this afternoon the poor bloke is going to go back to being teased relentlessly by his sisters just like normal."
     "Those two do never give him a break," I chuckled, "I'm sure not even him being tossed off a horse will stop them."
     "I don't envy him at all."

My mood lightened ever so slightly.

     "You want me to escort you home" Amaranth offered.
     "Nah. I don't want to go home yet. I'm still on edge because of the incident, and you know with me only just getting over that cold that Eden will be pestering me constantly if I don't appear completely fine."
     "My house it is then."


 I was mostly calm by the time we reached Amaranth's place, and simply being in his room did the rest. I couldn't recount how many hours I had spent hanging out with him and the rest of our friends in there or just hanging out with him. Amaranth was plenty smart, but given how many times I had declined the offers to skip grades in school he was constantly coming to me for homework help like the rest of my friends did. With his house being close to the school, a lot of afternoons I ended up going home with him to help him before we goofed off until it was time for me to head to my own home. That afternoon I was content to sit on his bed and watch him continue to play the video game he had paused when he had left to meet me.

     "I see you have a new car picture." I noticed.
     "It's motivation. I am sick and tired of Blaze refusing to buy a car, so I'm going to make him wish desperately for a ride when I get one like that- and I'm not going to give him one."
     "So it's a little like your diamond making machine?"
     "Yes, except this idea is slightly more feasible."
     "Slightly." I agreed with a smile.

More time passed like that- us lazily talking and relaxing in the inviting atmosphere. Then I found that I was getting rather peckish.

     "You hungry at all?" I asked, although that was a somewhat ridiculous question given that, as a teenage boy, Amaranth was always hungry.
     "Is that you volunteering to cook? Because yes."
     "I was going to suggest ordering pizza, but I can cook if you want me to. You know I love doing it."
     "I'll leave the choice up to you, although I don't know how we're doing in terms of groceries. Most of our stuff spoils so quickly since Blaze will only get the cheap stuff that's about to expire when he shops."
     "You'd think he was unemployed or had a terrible job or something. I thought he made good money doing what he does?"
     "He does!" Amaranth exclaimed, "That's why his cheap habits piss me off!"
     "Haha, well, let me go see what I can scrounge up. Maybe I can put your lackluster groceries to good use before they go bad."


I had a tougher time than I wanted. There was almost nothing in the cabinets. Nothing that I could mix together to make a proper meal anyway, and that was saying something given my now extensive culinary prowess. Once Eden had gotten comfortable with the idea of me cooking, almost all of the meals in our house were left up to me. I hadn't minded, for cooking had become my passion. My meals with The Company, though healthy and organic, had been bland and boring. It was the same stuff over and over again. Now that I had the chance, I wanted to experience every new taste and dish. That desire ended up having me cook for my friends constantly. I could scarcely recall a time in recent memory when I hadn't whipped something up when I came over for a visit.

Amaranth was most pleased with the spaghetti I made. It was the only thing there were proper ingredients for. I didn't do much other than add a few extra spices here and there to give it an extra kick, but the way he went on I might as well have made the most heavenly pasta to ever exist. Once Amaranth was done complimenting me, we got in a bit more normal conversation.

     "I checked my schedule for the upcoming long weekend." he started, his tone dropping slightly.
     "I take it you're working then?"
     "I'm the new guy, so of course I have to cover for the workers with more seniority who want days off. I am only a part-time worker though, so we should have enough time at least to do something worthwhile."
     "And we have several weeks to do some brainstorming too." I added.


The sound of the front door opening came when our plates were empty and we thought up ideas of what we could do with Amaranth's limited time.

     "Hello, Meadow," Blaze said, his voice practically dripping with sarcasm, "Nice to see that you two teenagers with raging hormones have been here alone while I've been out."
     "Says the man whose black book is more of an encyclopedia." Amaranth retorted with a roll of his eyes.
     "What?" I questioned in stunned, and mildly horrified, amazement.
     "Meadow made spaghetti." Amaranth then said, holding up the bowl and completely ignoring me.

Blaze smiled widely.

     "Ooo, Meadow cooking. All is forgiven." he replied chirpily as he eagerly stuffed the plate he got full of the stuff.

I had to laugh off the peculiar comments, mostly because what Amaranth had revealed was something I wasn't actually that interested in knowing more about.


Per Blaze's request, I went ahead and made a pudding dessert as well. He tried to prompt me to make even more after that so he could store it for later, but when I jokingly required payment for my services that shut him right up. Amaranth and I played video games for another hour before it seemed the right time for me to head home. We made the decision to walk to help burn off the meal and extend the time we had to chat.

     "I can't believe it's already been six years since you moved here." Amaranth remarked when we got closer to the house.
     "It doesn't feel that long at all, I agree. I don't feel as if I should even be sixteen yet."
     "You ever thought about going back to Shiny Sands for a visit? Surely you've got some friends there you want to see."
     "Not really," I mumbled, my trained mind quickly coming up with a lie, "You know me. I'm ridiculously shy around new people. I was too quiet when I first started school, so pretty much everyone stayed away from me. I got along with everyone fine, but there was only ever one person I was close to like how I am with you and everyone else. As it is, she ended up moving far away from Shiny Sands around the same time I moved here."
     "I see."
     "Also, I doubt I'd get many good feelings going back there. I don't want to see those reminders of what I had and what I lost. It'd be like me moving away from here to come back with none of you around. Berrybrook would just be another city full of strangers."
     "I have heard it's the people that make the home, not the actual house itself." Amaranth said with a nod.
     "That's too true, for I consider Berrybrook my home much more than Shiny Sands."
     "Good. I guess I can stop worrying about you moving back there when we graduate then."
     "You were worried about that?"
     "Somewhat. I know we'll all have to go our separate ways eventually what with college and whatnot, but I would like nothing more than this place to be the place where we'll always come back to."
     "I think it will be." I smiled.

Amaranth smiled too.


Amaranth declined my offer to call him a taxi. He claimed he needed to do more walking to burn off the last of the meal. We said our goodbyes, and he was soon on his way. I entered the house expecting it to be practically dead silent like normal, but I was in for a surprise when I heard a voice that wasn't Eden's coming from the kitchen. I found Ms. Charm in there having a drink with him. My mouth dropped open.

     "Get that look off your face," Eden commanded lightheartedly when he turned to spot me, "You told me to be more social, so I'm being more social."
     "It's still weird."
     "I didn't realize you were such a recluse, Eden," Ms. Charm laughed, "I should have invited you to a book seminar sooner."
     "You're going to a book seminar?" I asked.
     "Yes. We were actually just about to leave," he said before turning to Ms. Charm, "And I'm not that bad."
     "You're that bad," I contradicted with a smile, "It's wonder you haven't turned white given how much time you spend inside."

Both the jibe and well hidden reference earned me a light glare from my brother.

     "How did your ride go?" he asked to change the subject.
     "Uh...fine...for the most part..."
     "What happened?"
     "Overcast bucked Sap out of the saddle. I had to take him to the hospital." I admitted.
     "Is he alright?" Ms. Charm asked while a look of great concern spread across Eden's face.
     "Yes. The doctor said he was simply winded and slightly dizzy, but he's probably practically back to normal by now."
     "Did you not just come from the hospital then?" Eden wondered.
     "I spent some time with Amaranth and Blaze after Sap's parents showed up at the hospital."

I made sure to mention Blaze because Eden was touchy about me being alone with any guy, be it even Amaranth, Allium, or Frost.

     "So, you two are going to be gone for most of the night then?" I asked curiously to quickly change the subject myself.
      "I don't like that suspicious tone, and, yes, we'll be back late." Eden replied.
     "Don't worry. I'm simply thinking I'll bring Sun over for a movie night."
     "That I'll allow." Eden accepted with a shrug.


I called Sunset and Sunflower right away. Sunset was so ready to do something since our ride had been cut short that she was over before Eden and Ms. Charm even had the chance to leave. She was so intent on listening to what I told her about Sap that the two of us didn't notice when the adults departed. It took Sunflower ringing the doorbell to catch our attention. Of course, she was interested in hearing the story once we briefly mentioned what happened. Eventually, we started watching movies. Most of them were corny black-and-white romances that had us laughing more than swooning. I went ahead and ordered pizza too, mostly for my friends' sake than for mine.


I popped in a more modern movie, and that started off an interesting discussion.

     "I think it'd be a lot of fun to be a main actress in romance movies." Sunset said.
     "Because you'd be famous?" Sunflower wondered.
     "No. Because look at all the hot guys you'd get to kiss! Some of these scenes get pretty sensual too. Wouldn't it be great to have an excuse to make out with some of the most attractive men on the planet?"
     "Except you'd have like twenty people watching you and cameras shoved in your face while you did it," Sunflower pointed out, "Besides, you wouldn't be in love with the guy or anything so it would more gross than pleasurable, wouldn't it?"
     "You don't have to be in love for a kiss to be good."
     "Like you would know?"

Sunset gave a noncommittal shrug and grin, which made Sunflower's eyes grow wide.

     "Don't try to act as if you've kissed someone. We both know you're just messing with Flower." I said with amusement.


I anticipated Sunset trying to continue her lie, but I was caught off guard when she flashed me a mischievous smirk.

     "Fine. I'll admit I haven't had a kiss yet. In return though, you should have to admit that you have had one." she demanded.
     "What!?" Sunflower and I exclaimed in unison.
     "Don't think I'm deaf, Meadow. 'I know you already have a horde of people supporting you. I guess I simply want to be a part of that horde' and 'I only want you to know that if you need anything I am here.' You cannot deny that there isn't something more going on with you and Sap. Like, who speaks like that if he doesn't have feelings for someone?"
     "You know that's just how he is." I frowned.
     "To you," Sunflower joined in, "He never speaks that way to us."
     "I...I mean, I don't know why he does it. He says stuff like that, but he's never tried to make an actual move on me. And we certainly have not kissed!" I professed.
     "Hmm? Really?" Sunset taunted.
     "Really!"
     "Tch. That's no fun." she pouted.
     "Maybe it'll happen soon though." Sunflower wondered.

A deep blush spread across my cheeks at the thought.

     "Yeah!" Sunset agreed enthusiastically, "I get the feeling he's going to make a move soon. Don't know why, just do. They should be setting the date for homecoming soon. I bet he'll ask you to be his date or something."


I stood up and inched my way around the coffee table.

     "And where are you going?" Sunflower asked.
     "To get some water."
     "She's clearly trying to escape." Sunset giggled.

I ignored her even though that was the truth. However, in a case of either terrible or perfect timing, my phone began buzzing. I pulled it out of my pocket and felt the color drain out of my face when I saw who was calling.

     "Who is it?" Sunflower questioned.

I swallowed a lump in my throat.

     "It's Sap." I nearly whispered.

That sent my two friends into a fit of intense laughter.

     "Shut up! He's probably just calling to let me know he's alright!" I defended horribly, another mad blush filling my face with heat again.
     "Oh my god! This is too great! Answer it!" Sunset cheered.


I shushed them intensely to get them to quiet. My hand, already sweaty and shaking, nearly dropped the phone as I answered the call.

     "Hello?" I answered timidly.
     "Hey, Meadow." Sap's voice replied.
     "Hey, Sap. How are you?"
     "I can honestly say I'm fine this time around. I'm crazy sore, but Bud and 'Chio get out of having to wait on me hand and foot, unfortunately. If I was only hurt a bit more, I could have had personal stewards for a few days." he sighed longingly.
     "I think you'd be singing a different tune if you were hurt a bit more."
     "Yeah, I know. It's just nice to imagine it."
     "I'm sure."
     "So, what are you up to?"
     "Just hanging out with Sun. Watching movies, eating pizza, having girl talk- the usual."
     "Ah, okay. I won't keep you long then. I've just got a quick question to ask."

Furious whispers erupted from behind me. Sunflower had paused the movie, so the room was quiet enough for Sunset and Sunflower to hear every word of the conversation.

     "My parents are having a reunion with some friends of theirs in Tropic Luna over the upcoming holiday weekend. 'Chio's decided not to come along with us since her painting club is having a camping trip that weekend. You want to come instead? It'll make up for that time you couldn't come because of the pneumonia." he offered.
     "Say yes!" Sunset and Sunflower prodded in a whisper.
     "Uh, perhaps? Am and I were making plans for that weekend already. We don't have anything set yet, but..."
     "Please, Meadow? You already turned my last offer down because you had plans with him then too, and I really don't want to go on this trip if it's only going to be Bud and me. She'll use me as a pack mule for all her shopping!"
     "I'd have to ask Eden..."
     "He's always said yes before. Let's work under the assumption that that'll be his response this time too. What do you say?"
     "Go! Go!" Sunset and Sunflower whispered louder.

I glanced back at them before biting my lip. I did want to go, but with the conversation my friends and I had just had I wasn't sure if agreeing was such a good idea.

     "Please?" Sap pleaded again.

I sighed quietly so he couldn't hear.

     "Sure, I'll come. It sounds great." I accepted.
9 comments on "Gen One- Chapter Nineteen"
  1. Poor Meadow...I feel her pain trying to be someone else. It isn't fun and is so not healthy. I just hope shortly the company will give up completely so she can be her true self. I can only imagine how it would be having to live a lie.

    In other news, the files I downloaded worked but I can't get as pale as Ethereal is? Am I missing something> Could you tell me which color you use?

    Also, can't wait till you update!

    ...I also gotta add, I like Sap but I don't. I want her and Am to be together xD So I am rooting for them to not get together! Though I really wanna see and hear how her friends will act with her being white. I hope it does come to light soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware Ethereal's white skin was what you're looking for. As far as I'm aware, that skin comes with one of the expansions (not sure which, although I'm pretty sure it's Supernatural). It doesn't have a store bag icon next to it like all the downloaded skins I have, so that's why I assume that. I only have those two sets of colors that you would have gotten downloaded myself, so there's no other place I would have gotten it from. The color circle for it in CAS is a grayish-black color. It should be this one: http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b494/Ellothiel/Random/27_zpspo9fdwdv.png

    Haha, most people seem to have a love-hate relationship with Sap ^^ He's not actually a deplorable guy, but he does stand in the way of AmaranthxMeadow XD I'm not going to say too much naturally, but Meadow's going to be testing the romantic waters for a while.
    The truth is going to have to come out, but I'm tight-lipped on when the time for it will come :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno if I necessarily like Sap or not, bit I certainly don't think he's a bad guy. I think if anything he'd be the kind of guy to still see her as Meadow when she goes white and not have that be a bad thing. He seems to like her for her personality.

    Amaranth too. But I guess I'm just waiting for him to give the "I know you're with Sap but I've always been there for you and I love you so you should be with me because I'm a GREAT GUY." Speech. But maybe thats just cause I see her and Am as BFFs and struggle to see them romantically.

    If she picks Allium instead I'd also be pretty happy. I ship it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely. He's not a bad guy. He's just the unfortunate one in the way of the "main" ship of the readers.
    Once again, I can't say much, but how Sap likes Ethereal is going to have something interesting happen with their relationship that I expect most people aren't expecting ^^

    Gah, and I want to respond to that, but everything I want to say I can't say because spoilers XD

    Ditto XD XD XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, okay, thanks! I do have supernatural, but all of the ones I tested, I never saw it get that white ._. maybe it is my laptop or something, but I will test it and see how it is! Or maybe I just over looked it cause I have really only tried actual colors and white I mostly did as pale with white hair xD Ah well

    Oh, I do like Sap, I just don't like him for Ethereal cause I want her with Am xD So it's like, as a person, I like him. As for getting in the way with my shipping, I don't xD Sorry, Sap!

    My next question I have is, how do you come up with the names for your Rainbow Sims?! I have such trouble with it. It's like, I can think of a few great ones and I wanna save them for some off the heirs, but then for the others I am sitting there like "...think think think...Dammit, just gonna name him Blue"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sap step away from the girl right now!! /fisty I just knew he was going to get in the way of Amaranth and Meadow!!

    Blaze!! LOL - so easily bought with a cooked meal and desert lol

    Eden going on a date with ms Charm was cute - even though it was just book club lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vera- I've done a bit a poking. It does look like it's from Supernatural. I still kinda wish it doesn't add the glow, but considering that no one has replicated it without that feature I'll live with what it is. The only other white skins I've been able to find aren't simple recolors of the base skin, so they really change the appearance too much.

    The names come from a bunch of different places. Originally, I began making my list with just what I could come up using my own knowledge. So I thought of something red for example, and then contemplated what else related to that word. So, for another example, fire is one of the first words I thought of. What are the words that people associate with fire? Coal, Blaze, Ember, Crackle, Sizzle, Flame, Scald, etc. There's six names right there. After that, I turned to the internet. "[Insert color] flowers" or "[Insert color] fruits" resulted in a bunch of names. There's great resources in real life too. My mom and I went to a greenhouse to get some flowers, and there were so many awesome names I hadn't come across yet, thus I (attempted) to write down in my phone. Unfortunately, there was an error where the note I was making didn't save. Stuff like that though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! It worked! Thanks again, but now I have a new questions. Where do you get all your clothes and hair?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sims Resources. There's a few random outfits and hairs I have not from there, but otherwise everything is from TSR.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9