Top Social

Gen One- Chapter Seventeen


The sunshine was warm, but the wind had a hint of a biting chill to it. Autumn had officially arrived, but summer was not ready to leave just yet. It was for that reason why everyone around me was still able to get away with wearing shorter sleeves. However, 'everyone around me' excluded me. I was actually getting a bit too hot thanks to Eden's insistence that I wear something warmer. Although, if that meant I got treated to delicious ice cream in order to cool me down then I reasoned I couldn't complain. I also understood where Eden was coming from as well. He was afraid just as I was afraid. The arrival of autumn meant that winter would follow, and the two of us were dreading it. That was due to the warnings of my doctor and the nurses. The freezing temperatures would make me sick more easily, but the biggest fear was the return of my pneumonia. After having such a bad case of it, everyone was fearful it would become a chronic problem when the weather turned foul. Given how breathing grew difficult whenever I became scared or overly stressed, the threat was a true concern indeed.

I figure that was the other reason why Eden was treating me to ice cream. Our trip to the hospital for my tri-weekly therapy had resulted with my doctor giving us another long talk about the potential risks the winter brought. It was the same one he had been giving us for months now, and it was beginning to bring us down. We needed a little something nice to cheer us up.


Interested in finishing his book he was almost done with, Eden let me wander the park myself after we ate. I preoccupied myself with finding the crunchiest leaves to step on, letting the tickling water of one of the fountains run over my hand, and overall getting swept away by nostalgia. The fond remembrance of something that had happened in the past was a new sensation for me. With The Company, everyday had blurred into the next. There was hardly a reason to recall anything with a sense of longing. I simply existed, and that was it. Now, however, everything was different. I had memories important enough to think of. There was a reason to look back and not only see how far I had come but see how much things had changed. I couldn't believe it had been well over a year now since Amaranth had had his birthday party in the very park I was in at that moment. Almost all of the scenery appeared the same, but just enough was different for there to be a meaning to remark on it. Those were the thoughts passing through my head when I gently plucked up a flower to smell its light fragrance. I was so absorbed in my thinking that I didn't notice the presence of two people approaching me.

     "Meadow?"

It took one of them saying my name to snap me out of my reverie.


I did not anticipate who would be there, nor had I ever dreamed they would come up to me like they had. Ever since that incident in Principal Fog's office, Purity, thankfully, had all but left me alone. It helped that we were rarely close in terms of proximity after that day. I didn't know whose decision it had been, but I walked into class that following morning to find out that Frost and Purity's seating arraignments had been switched. Purity now sat in the seat right in front of where Mrs. Chamois normally stood, and Frost was situated between me and Amaranth. Now I was dreading when the seating assignments would change. But anyway, I suspect it was that added watchfulness that Mrs. Chamois had on her that prevented Purity from getting back at me in all the weeks since that Monday. Even on the playground, the most I got was angry glares from a distance.

I fidgeted when I suddenly had to deal with Purity and her mom. They both appeared relatively pleasant, but that scared me more than it relieved me.

     "Hi. How are you doing?" Purity asked me in such a scarily friendly voice that I almost mistook it for something genuine.
     "I-I'm doing alright. You?" I answered back quietly, not sure what to make of the situation.
     "I'm holding up fine, although it's been a long day."
     "You're dressed rather nicely, I notice."
     "We've been at the photographer's getting pictures for my profile taken."
     "I see."


I brushed my sweating palms against my dress as nonchalantly as I could. Purity was now giving me a soft smile that I swear betrayed no hint of malice or dislike, but it just made me only more uneasy.

     "So, what brings you into the city?" Purity continued, "Been visiting Am or Cocoa?"
     "N-no," I said, shocked that Purity knew which of my friends lived in the city, "I've been at the hospital having one of my treatments."
     "Treatments?" Purity tilted her head curiously.
     "It's called immunoglobulin replacement therapy. They stick a needle in me and I lay there for a few hours while the antibodies my own body can't make are injected into my system. The effect wears off after a while though, so I have to return every three weeks to repeat the process."
     "Oh, I'm sorry. That doesn't sound pleasant at all."
     "It's not so bad now that I'm getting used to it. It gives me an excuse to laze around and watch television." I replied uncertainly, trying not to get too freaked out.
     "That's good then."

There was a brief pause in the conversation. I took a deep but silent breath to calm my nerves. As eerie as it was to have Purity be, supposedly, nice and genuine, it was mildly refreshing even though I'm sure there was a deeper purpose to it.

     "So, hey, Meadow? I have a question for you." Purity then continued.


I couldn't even open my mouth to begin to form an answer as the attention was taken away from me by Eden's appearance. He walked casually but determinedly over to the three of us. No doubt he had spotted Mrs. Waters and feared I was being given a hard time. The two adults glared daggers at each other.

     "Everything alright over here?" Eden asked as non-accusingly as possible.

He gave me a concerned look, but I glanced briefly at Purity and realized what was going on what pretty much the exact opposite of what he assumed was happening.

     "Um, yeah. Everything's fine." I had to respond.

An expression of mild confusion spread across Eden's face.


Purity turned towards him.

     "I didn't want to take up too much of Meadow's time. I just have a quick question to ask her."

She shifted back towards me.

     "I'm having a sleepover next Saturday, and I was thinking it would be nice if you could come. Flow and Apricot will be coming as well." Purity put out the offer.

I became suspicious hearing that.

     "I would like to, but Eden and I already have some plans for next Saturday evening." I lied as nicely as I could.
     "You know what, you don't have to worry about those." Eden interjected.

I pouted inwardly. I thought Eden would support me shamming my way out of going to the sleepover considering the terrible air between him and Mrs. Waters, so that he was about to so quickly counter my lie did not sit well with me.

     "We can just move our plans back a bit. I think it'd be a great idea for you to attend Purity's sleepover." he continued too encouragingly for my liking.
     "I guess I'm all freed up then," I had to say as if I wasn't bothered by it, "I'd love to come."
     "Great," Purity smiled, "It'll start around six, and you can just come wearing your pjs."


I nodded and said my goodbye as Purity and Mrs. Waters left. I breathed a sigh of relief when they were well out of sight and earshot. I then sent a rather nasty glare Eden's way.

     "Thanks for nothing." I rebuked coldly.
     "Don't get mad at me. There was no reason for you to lie."
     "I don't want to go to her sleepover! How else was I supposed to get out of it?" I frowned.
     "You're not giving this enough thought. Purity seemed much more reasonable and kinder than normal."
     "That's because she's out in public with her mom! Of course she's not going to act like a diva and make a scene in front of so many people!" I explained in frustration, "But now I have to spend an evening practically alone with her and her two minions who follow her word like it's the law! She's only being nice to me now so she can be horrible to me then!"
     "Don't be so petty!" Eden grew angrier now, "This could be her actively trying to make a change and effort to get along with you, so don't just make assumptions and mark the whole thing as a lost cause."
     "You're throwing me into the lion's den if you force me to go! You saw yourself how vile Mrs. Waters is, and I haven't forgotten so easily how Purity has treated me. People don't change so quickly!"
     "I'm not saying they have! I'm saying give at least Purity the chance she might be giving you!"
     "I'm not going!"
     "Yes, you are!"
     "No, I'm not!"
     "Meadow!"

I began stomping away, partly because I was getting too riled up and partly because Eden and I were attracting attention to ourselves. Eden huffed loudly in annoyance and reluctantly followed me to the car. It was a horribly tense drive home.


The rest of the day was rather awkward too. We both kept away from each other for a while, and when we did dare to get close our conversations were short and shallow. Things were pretty much back to normal by the next day, but neither of us chose to mention the incident. It didn't come up again until that Friday. Eden revealed he still fully expected me to go to the sleepover. Thankfully, he did give me a way out as well. If I called him and said I wanted to come home, he would come get me with no questions asked. I agreed to the conditions and somewhat reluctantly changed into my pajamas when Saturday evening rolled around. I have to admit, I was shaking a little due to my nerves when we approached Purity's house.

     "If anything goes wrong..." I began as I slowly gathered up my bag that had my stuff in it.
     "I know. I know. It's my fault." Eden chuckled softly.

I peered up at the house. It was intimidating.

     "Do I really have-"
     "You already promised, and I already drove you all the way out here."

I sighed and got out of the car.

     "If she tries to sneeze on me again, I'm punching her in the face." I warned.
     "I expect nothing less." Eden grinned.

I grinned a bit too. I then steeled my nerves, closed the door, and made my way towards Purity's front door. Eden made his departure before I had the chance to look back.


My steps up to the door were slow and uncertain. The world closed around me as a short corridor leading to the entrance consumed me. It had me taking many deep inhales just to keep my breath from shaking, for conflicting emotions now warred within my chest. The last time I had been surrounded by white walls was when I was with The Company, and my mind was conjuring many unpleasant memories. However, the craving to not hide behind a lie that had begun to surface on the camping trip grew stronger with every tiny step I took towards the front door. The stress of both wanting to be white and to be surrounded by color struck a hollow but heavy pressure in my chest. I hurriedly knocked on the door. The confusion and overall unwelcome sensation of entrapment was dancing up and down my skin. It made me want to bolt all the way back home.


Purity opened the door shortly before I began truly panicking, and I think I might have shocked her a bit by how fast I entered her home. Not that being inside was much better. There was more space, but save for the wooden objects and a few decorations nearly everything remained white. It appeared Mr. and Mrs. Waters had chosen to model their home after their daughter instead of making it a mix of white and blue as I had been hoping. Thankfully, I had something to distract me. It was a strange kind of thankfulness that that something was Purity.

     "Glad you could make it," she said in that practically genuine way that left me incredibly perplexed by the drastic attitude change, "Flow and Apricot are here already."

I nodded, failing to know what to say back. Purity was clearly watching my gaze though, and she surely assumed my cautious glances about the room meant that I was admiring the place. She spun around, opened her arms widely, and giggled.

     "And this is my house!" she announced dramatically, "Do you like it?"

It took me a moment to answer, for I was too taken back. It seemed impossible, but I began to believe that Eden could potentially be right. Perhaps Purity was actually trying to make an effort with me. She was still being a tiny bit haughty by introducing her house in such a manner, but that kind of Purity I could handle. I discovered that I was smiling.

     "Yeah. It's really nice." I answered.


Purity began motioning me downstairs, but footsteps coming down from upstairs had us pausing. Just as I glanced up a blue man appeared in my sights- no doubt he was Mr. Waters. Instantly, I studied his face. Even though Eden had reassured me many times that Purity's parents were not my parents, I continued to hold onto the belief that they could be. That belief began to falter though when I got my first good look at Purity's father. He appeared even less like me than Mrs. Waters did. Mysteriously, I was actually somewhat disappointed by the more definitive proof that I was not related to him. I might not have had a lot of love for Mrs. Waters or Purity still, but even with as horrible as they had been I would rather know that they just so happened to be my family rather than be left in the dark about the matter forever. It would at least firmly crush my hopes that I had kind, loving parents and perhaps siblings out there somewhere in the world.

Although, Mr. Waters quickly proved himself to be much more of a decent person than his wife.

     "This is your last friend for your sleepover, Pure?" he asked gently, to which Purity nodded merrily.
     "You must be Meadow then. Pleasure to meet you." he continued with a kind smile.
     "Thank you for having me over." I responded politely.
     "You're most welcome." he answered likewise.
     "I'm going to take her downstairs so we can start playing." Purity explained, softly grabbing my arm.
     "Alright. I'll be ordering pizza in a hour, unless you want it sooner." Mr. Waters offered.
     "No, an hour is fine, daddy. Come on, Meadow."


And I was ushered downstairs. Purity's house was huge. I wondered why they needed so much space for three people, but I soon understood most of it was for Purity's sake. She had the whole downstairs area to herself! She had her own bathroom, fireplace, and entrance to the backyard, and every decoration and piece of furniture was nothing other than ridiculously expensive. In fact, I had to fight off my memories causing me fear again. All the white and the fancy room was reminding me of my Company room. Shaking my head slightly, I focused on Flow and Apricot who were watching the end of some romantic movie on television.


Apricot smiled when she saw me. Flow, not so much. That was because Flow was more Purity's actual lackey and right-hand girl while Apricot seemed more to follow Purity around and be oblivious to her less than likeable behavior simply so she could have the honor of saying she had a friend who was white. Other than that, she was relatively harmless. The two both jumped up and turned the television off when we reached the bottom of the stairs. I ignored Flow's barely concealed disdain for me while Purity showed me where I could put my things. It was then that I began to wonder if I would encounter more problems that night because of Flow than Purity, which was a remarkable thought indeed.

     "Daddy is getting us pizza in an hour. What do we want to do until then?" Purity questioned.

I kept my mouth quiet. I was really out of my element being only around Purity and her friends, and with no idea what they liked or how they preferred to spend their time I figured it was better to let them make the decisions.

     "I want to go swimming." Apricot suggested.
     "We only just got here in our pjs, and already you want us to change?" Flow fought back with an amused laugh.
     "Well, we've been waiting all this time for Purity's pool to finish being built, and we don't want to swim when we have full stomachs so why not just get it out of the way?"
     "I think it's a fine idea. What do you say, Meadow?" Purity said to me.
     "U-um..." I hesitated, "I didn't know you had a pool or that the rest of you were planning on using it at some point, so I didn't bring a swimsuit."
     "Oh, I'm sorry. That's totally my fault. I completely forgot to mention that we were planning on going swimming when I told you about the sleepover. No worries though. You can borrow one of mine." Purity offered.


For a moment I thought I had figured out Purity's plan. I contemplated that she purposefully forgot to tell me to bring a swimsuit so she could embarrass me in front of her friends, but even before the minute was out I realized that wasn't the case. She seriously had simply forgotten to tell me. She handed me one of her own like it was no big deal, and with all of us changing quickly we were outside without anyone saying another word on the matter. Flow was the first one in the water- jumping in and cascading the tiles with massive puddles. That caused Apricot to sort of slip into the pool, but thankfully she landed safely. Purity and I slid in in much more respectable manners. I was faced with more awkwardness because I continued to be unsure as to how to interact with the others. They weren't my friends after all. I spent most of my time goofing off with Apricot as she was the one I got along the best with. There was a lot of splashing and breath holding contests. In all actuality, it was a lot like how I played when I swam with Sunset and Sunflower.

However, I found that I couldn't enjoy the surprisingly cheerful atmosphere. More thoughts were breaking unceasingly into my mind. Of course, it was because of the white that surrounded me. This time though, the craving of no longer being hidden won out over the pounding heartbeats of fear. Taking a break by sitting on the edge of the pool, I threw secret glances Purity's way. I was forced to admit in that moment that I was somewhat jealous of her. I so terribly desired the freedom that allowed her to be her- I just wanted to be me. The white swimsuit I was wearing mocked me. I should be the same shining, untarnished color. As much trouble as being born white had caused me, I didn't want to be anything else. The green I was forced to be instead...it was ugly in that moment. I hated it. It was gross and vile, and it choked the truth I wanted to shout out tightly in my throat. Even if I could say the words I wanted to say, no one would believe me.

Absentmindedly rubbing at a patch of skin on my leg until it hurt, I wondered if I could uncover what should have been there. That little patch grew raw and it hurt to touch it, but I couldn't have cared less about the pain in that moment. So disgusted by my secret, I seriously almost did bring the dangerous words I knew I shouldn't say to my lips. I breathed out quiet mumbles, but the playful laughter of the other three drowned them out. They were oblivious to my agony of wanting to be free once and for all. Terribly lost, alone, and separated from everyone because of the truth, the burden of keeping my secret was pulling me down like weights wrapped all around me. I wanted to be white. I should be white. I needed to be white again! My sense of security was rapidly slipping away as those thoughts repeated their stinging tune within my head until a headache formed.


The cracks within me about to break, I made the excuse that I had to use the restroom. I swiped my cellphone out of my bag before locking myself in Purity's bathroom. My hands were shaking so badly that I very nearly dialed Allium instead of Eden. Eden had granted me a bit more leniency with using my phone as long as I did not go overboard, and since Allium was the only other person my age with a phone of his own he was the one I most often talked to. I had him right next to Eden on my list, and I did occasionally select the wrong name. After five rings, the other end was picked up.

     "I know I said I would pick you up with no questions asked if you said you wanted to come home, but are things that bad already? I've only just gotten back myself." Eden said before I could say anything.

And I couldn't say anything. Due to a combination of my swelling emotions and the sting of the chlorine from the pool, my throat and eyes burned tightly. Silence passed as I struggled to get my body to cooperate.

     "Ethereal?" Eden asked with much more concern in his voice.
     "I've locked myself in Purity's bathroom." I admitted in a hushed whisper.
     "She's really being that horrible?"
     "No. It's not Purity. She's actually being nice. It's that...it's just..." my already quiet voice grew hoarse from how difficult it was to form words, "Everything here is white, Eden. I can't stand it. It's making me scared because it reminds me of being trapped, and it's making me realize that I'm really starting to hate this whole situation we're in."

I took a shaky breath.

     "I can't stand lying anymore. I can't! I don't want to be Meadow, I hate being green, and I'm sick and tired of my life being manipulated by forces I can't control! Being scared and wary of everyone unknown is exhausting. I just want to be who I am without having to worry about being stolen away and confined again so my body can be used as nothing else but a means for selfishly vile scientists to make themselves rich by exploiting living people. This kind of life- I don't want it!"

I sniffled and cried silently into the silence, and I grew more frustrated by my guilt because I knew I was venting to someone who had as little control of the situation as I did. It wasn't as if Eden could set us both free because I asked him to. He was even buried deeper in all the troublesome aspects of our situation than I was, I knew he remained upset that his clumsiness had cost us our chance at true freedom, and there I was complaining to him as if it would do something else besides make us both miserable.

     "I'm sorry, Ethereal." Eden eventually replied back quietly, for it was clear he didn't know how to begin comforting me.
     "N-no, I'm sorry. I know you're doing everything you can. You've already done so much. I just..."
     "Do you want me to come get you?"
     "I-"

There was a knock on the door that made me leap.

     "Meadow, are you almost done?" Apricot's voice called, "Or should I use the bathroom upstairs?"
     "I'll be out in a second." I answered back in a calm panic before whispering extremely quietly into my phone, "I...don't know yet. I think I can last a little longer, but I don't know if I'll be able to stand being here the whole time."
     "Alright. Just let me know," Eden said gently, then he paused for a brief second, "I love you, Ethereal."
     "Love you too."

I reluctantly hung up, but I had to acknowledge that hearing those last words did make me feel better.


I managed to get a better grip on myself after that, although don't ask me how I was able to do it. I think being able to change back into my pajamas after we finished swimming helped somewhat, and keeping my gaze more on Flow and Apricot than Purity did something for me as well. Not only was I able to keep a calm mask on while I interacted with the other three, I almost forgot my fears and worries plaguing me. That is, until I had to inwardly panic and hurriedly make up more lies when a previous lie I told came back to bite me. An hour had passed, and the pizza Mr. Waters promised arrived. The four of us sat down to eat, and that was when Flow asked me the question.

     "You said you had a white friend back in Shiny Sands, didn't you?"

I almost bit my lip when my body tensed up as I dug my teeth into my slice of pizza. I nodded, grateful I had been taking that bite so I had an excuse to not answer right away.

     "What's her name?" Flow continued.

I nearly froze. My "friend" was me. Should I answer with Ethereal? No. That would have been absolutely idiotic. But then, what name should I say? I was freaking out so badly that the only name I could bring to mind was "Purity", but of course I couldn't say that. My mind spun as I desperately tried to recall something white that didn't sound stupid. With an awkward silence about to form due to my delay, I put out the only other answer that came to me.

     "Snowbell." I responded as normally as possible, praying none of the other three knew of the ghost story.
     "Like the flower?" Apricot asked.

I nodded again as I took another bite of pizza to buy me more time to think.

     "What's she like?" Purity herself asked.
     "She's rather quiet," I began, choosing qualities at random since it would be suspicious to describe myself, "She's very artistic, and a lot of the time she would wander off by herself to draw whatever had struck her fancy. She's a decent singer as well, but she doesn't like crowds so it was mostly for me and the rest of our friends that she would perform. Mostly Snowbell is one of those kinds of people who prefers to be lost in thought in her head than be with a whole bunch of other people."
     "Do you still talk a lot?"
     "Not so much. Her parents aren't all that fond of technology. I can communicate to her pretty much only through letters, and those take a while to get back and forth."
     "I see. You should try to get her to visit during a break or something. I'd like to meet her." Purity encouraged with a smile.
     "Y-yeah. I'll try." I lied.
     "You used to know a bunch of others like you back in Rich Hills, right Purity?" Apricot asked, thankfully changing the course of the conversation.
     "Uh-huh," Purity grinned, "A lot of white people turn out to be actors, so since Rich Hills is right in the center of the movie industry there are a lot of them who live there. There were two others on my street alone."

I was content to let myself fade to the back of talking, more than willing to have Purity ramble on about her brushes with those of the rich and famous.


It was about two hours later or so when the truth about Purity's change in attitude came to light. Until then, I had begun to genuinely enjoy myself. Purity, Flow, Apricot, and I played games, made snacks, watched movies, talked and laughed, had a pillow fight, and did all the other normal sleepover stuff. Even Flow seemed to have forgotten her dislike due to Purity's apparent acceptance of me. I began to think that the three of them really weren't that awful after all now that the bad air had been cleared out. Steadily getting a further grip with handling all the white too impressed upon me that it could actually be possible for me to ride out the whole sleepover. However, that hope went kaput in less than five minutes. Flow and Apricot were on the main floor of the house, leaving Purity and I alone downstairs. She came over to me with a smile on her face.

     "You wanna borrow one of my nightgowns?" she suddenly offered.
     "Uh...I'm alright? This is my nightgown." I explained, wondering if she had mistaken my pajamas for an actual dress.
     "I know. I just thought you might like one of mine."
     "I'm sure they're nice, but I'm fine with the one I have on." I declined again, totally confused at the conversation.
     "If you're worried about being embarrassed, you don't have to be. Flow and Apri borrow my clothes all the time when they come over." Purity continued to prod.
     "I'm really fine." I said more confidently.


I wasn't sure what to make of the patient, sympathetic smile Purity gave me. She shook her head a little, walked past me without saying a word, and opened her dresser on the other side of the room. I frowned when I saw that she was going ahead and pulling out different pajama sets. Most were made of silk-like material and shimmered brightly under the lights. They were all incredibly pretty, but I couldn't understand why Purity wasn't listening to me.

     "How do you like this one?" Purity said as she held up a nightgown similar to the one she had on.
     "It's nice, but-"
     "Yeah, I get what you mean. We don't want to wear ones that are too similar. Okay, how about these?"

She pulled a shirt and pants combo.

     "I'm fine with my own clothes." I announced with more conviction.

Purity simply replaced the second option and pulled out another gown.

     "Purity." I spoke firmly with annoyance.


Purity placed the gown back into the drawer, closed it, and turned to me while sighing loudly.

     "Meadow, I'm trying, but you're making this very difficult." she said with controlled frustration.
     "Making what difficult? I appreciate that you're willing to share your things with me, but I don't get why it's such a big deal that I wear your clothes." I explained.
     "I'm trying to help you."
     "Help me with what?"

I was truly and utterly lost as to what was going on.

     "I realized I was too tough on you at the beginning. Of course attempting to force you to simply admit your jealously for me would make you withdraw into yourself  and have you decline the truth. I was at fault. That's why I'm not being forceful about it now. I can see that you're a relatively decent person, so I've decided that I don't mind opening up my world to you. That way you don't have to be envious from the shadows. You can have the perk of hanging out with me, wearing white clothes, and enjoying what you want to enjoy without fear of being made fun of."


It took all my effort not to sigh a massive sigh that would have outdone Purity's. Oh brother! So that was what this was all about! Purity still remained stuck on her belief that I was jealous of her, and her inviting me to her sleepover was her way of 'curing' me. She thought oh-so-graciously allowing me to share all of her white things and be in her presence would turn me into a doe-eyed admirer like Apricot. I fought with myself to not put her straight like what was my want. Even though it was done for a misguided and narcissistic reason, Eden was still right about the purpose of the sleepover. In her own way, Purity was trying to make things right between us. She had been incredibly pleasant and inviting to me all evening, and she had shown that she did have a kind heart when it suited her. I wanted to believe there was a chance that, if I could explain myself tactfully enough, Purity might listen to me this time around. She could open her eyes to the real truth, and we could actually get along without so much tension and uncertainty surrounding us.


That was my wish anyway. Unfortunately, it did not come true. I wore a gentle smile and talked politely, but even by the end of my first sentence Purity's eyes were narrowing in anger.

     "Purity, I mean it when I say I appreciate you inviting me over and being willing to share your things. To be honest, I wasn't sure how tonight would turn out, but I've had a lot of fun so far. I think the two of us can really get along if we want to, and that's something I'd like to have happen. However,  I can't let it happen if there's still this misunderstanding. I'm not jealous of you. Not in the way you're thinking I am anyway."
     "Yes, you are." Purity retorted almost instantly, her tone stiff.
     "No, I'm not," I continued, remaining as polite as I could, "I never have been. I never will be."
     "You are jealous of me!"
     "I'm not."
     "Yes. you. are!"
     "I'm not."

I didn't know what else to say to get my point across or quell the explosion that was apparently about to happen given the rise of Purity's voice.

     "You are!"
     "Purity, I'm not." I said almost pleadingly.
     "Why not!?" she all but shrieked at me.


I held back the words I actually wanted to say and instead took a deep breath to calm my nerves. I wanted to challenge Purity with the ferocity with which she was challenging me, but given how well that had worked out in the past I knew I was better off remaining as docile as possible.

     "Do you want me to tell you the truth? I'll tell you what I feel if that's what you want," I began openly, "If it'll make you feel better, there are some things you have that I want. You have parents that are, for one, alive, and who, two, clearly love you. Bigger than that though, you have the confidence and the circumstances to just be who you are. I'm in a place where I don't have a lot of freedom, and I struggle because of that."

I paused, judging Purity's reaction. She was still glaring at me something awful.

     "But I have to say, even those things aren't exclusive in terms of me wanting them and only you having them. Most children are surrounded by their parents' love. Most people can be who they are. So, there's that. The reality is that I have no desire to be you specifically. There's nothing you have that you and you alone possess that has me wishing to be in your shoes instead of mine. And to be completely honest, I would be rather wary of everyone around me if I was you. I think I'd have a lot of problems trusting people."
     "And why's that?" Purity questioned bitterly, folding her arms.


It took me a second to keep going. More conflicting emotions had me hesitating. It was true that several hours ago I had practically been begging my brother to be white again, but the truth was that I continued to fear the repercussions of what having that freedom would bring.

     "It's something I discovered knowing Snowbell. There was another reason besides her solitary nature why she always chose to be by herself when she could. A lot of times, she considered being born as an albino a curse more than something to be grateful for. She was fawned over often because of her lack of color. Even when she asked people not to, they showered her with attention and praise. Too often she was left to question her self-worth. Was she really as good an artist or singer as everyone made her out to be? Or were they only so supportive because she was white? Did everyone like her because they liked her, or did they only like her because she was white? Was there anyone who was ever truly honest with her? If she had been born with her proper coloring, how different would the circumstances be? If she suddenly somehow gained her color, how many people would abandon her because she was no longer a novelty? How many people would forget about her completely because she would no longer be an object on a pedestal those people could display to the world for their own shallow and vain pride? Snowbell was terrified that she was surrounded by a fake and cruel love. She just wanted to be loved and accepted for who she was a person, not for her lack of color."

I took a breath.

     "And I'm afraid that I've come to see that so many of those fears of hers are justified. I think it's a horribly sad for her to always have to question if she's truly loved. That's why...being white...I would never choose it willingly."

And it was the truth. I wanted to be white because I didn't want to hide behind a lie, not because I wanted to be a "blessed" child like what albino children were considered.


There was dead silence in the room when I finished speaking. Purity didn't look angry so much anymore, but the emotion her face was expression was entirely unreadable. My heart began to beat really fast, and I resumed speaking to cover up my tension.

      "I mean...surely that has to make some sense? Right? Or...even if you don't agree, maybe...do you understand better where I'm coming from when I say I'm not jealous?"

I didn't get a response. Purity walked past me without saying a word again. She marched right up the stairs and out of my sight, leaving me to fidget nervously in the empty quiet.


Sadly, quiet was not how the house would be a minute later. It was obvious Purity had not accepted my answer, and it had probably made the air between us worse than ever before. I reasoned it was at the point where I needed to call Eden, but curiosity got the better of me. I wanted to see where Purity had gone and what she was doing or saying because of some foolishly stupid idea that I could still remedy the situation. Flow and Apricot were in the kitchen making more snacks, but Purity was nowhere to be found. I was about to head back downstairs to get my phone when angry stomping from upstairs caught my attention. Seconds later, Mrs. Waters came hurrying down to the main floor with Purity following. My blood ran cold the second Mrs. Waters caught sight of me. Her mad glare seriously froze me to the spot and filled me with a horrified dread I had never experienced before.

     "You wretched child!" she screamed at me loud enough for the neighbors to hear.

Naturally, Flow and Apricot came flying out of the kitchen to see what was going on. I shrunk under Mrs. Water's withering fury.

     "My daughter opens our home to you after your selfish whining gets her in trouble, and still you repay that generosity by spouting your vile at her!? What a cruel heart you have to even think to say a word against her!"
     "I-!"
     "Your diseased body must have turned your heart to stone! How dare you say that everyone only likes Purity because she is white! That she is only cared about because she has no color! That she is living a sad life!"
     "That's not what I said at all!" I desperately tried to explain, realizing how Purity had twisted my words in order to send her mother into a fit of rage.

There was no debating the matter with Mrs. Waters though. She would never take my word over the word of her precious, perfect daughter. I stood there cowering and honestly beginning to fear that Mrs. Waters would hit as me as her yelling grew louder and more irate.

     "Shell, what is going on?"

Mr. Waters had walked in from the backyard. His wife didn't address him, but merely continued her screaming. I was never more grateful than when Mr. Waters stepped between us to try and calm her down after she took a threatening step towards me.

     "You get your nasty face out of my house now, or I'll make sure you'll regret poisoning our home with your putrid presence!" Mrs. Waters demanded.
     "What is wrong with you?!" Mr. Waters demanded likewise.
     "Get out!" Mrs. Waters screeched as she pointed towards the door, ignoring him again.


I didn't waste another second. I bolted. I dashed out the front door not caring that it was cold and dark, that I was barefoot, or that all my stuff was still downstairs. I was so shaken up that I would have rather run all the way back home than ever step foot inside that house again. And walking all the way home was my intention. However, I had barely reached the end of the yard when I heard the front door open.

     "Meadow!" Mr. Waters called after me.

I only picked up the pace, choosing to run when I heard his hurried footsteps getting close. Several feet was all I covered before Mr. Waters grabbed my arm to hold me back.

     "Please, wait." he requested.
     "I'm going home!"

It was humiliating how much my voice wavered.

     "Yes. Yes, I think that's best- if only to get you away from my wife's severely unjust anger."
     "Then let me go!"
     "You think I'm going to let you walk all that way by yourself? It would take you over an hour, not to mention how dangerous that would be."
     "Then I'll call Eden!"
     "With what phone?" Mr. Waters answered with a slight bit of humor.

I pouted.

     "I'll drive you home, alright? If you don't mind? I'd really like to talk you for a moment. So, let me open up the garage and unlock the car so you can wait somewhere warm. I'll get your things, and then we can leave. That okay?"

I was forced to nod.


The drive home wasn't as bad as I expected it would be. It was incredibly awkward, no doubt about that, but Mr. Waters was clearly the reason Purity had not been completely corrupted by Mrs. Waters yet. He kept giving off that incredibly sincere and kind aura, and he even stopped to get me ice cream to calm me down. The soft music he had playing on the radio made the situation slightly better as well. He parked the car on the side of the street when we reached my house. I was peering forward to see that all the lights were still on when Mr. Waters looked my way.

     "Since I know this will be my only chance, can I ask you what happened? I know I won't get a truthful answer at home." he requested.
     "Um...I don't know if you know," I started incredibly timidly, "But Purity's given me a hard time almost since the moment we met."
     "I know," Mr. Waters said with a heavy sigh, "I am aware of most everything she does."
     "She thinks I'm jealous of her, and she won't believe me no matter how many times I say that I'm not. She invited me over to the sleepover because she thought doing so would help me admit my jealousy, and when I told her the truth yet again she asked me why I didn't envy her. I told her that Snowbell, another albino girl I know back in Shiny Sands, has always feared that people only like and care about her because she's white. I think it's a terrible fear she has to live with never knowing how people actually feel, and that's the reason I gave Purity for why I would never choose to be white willingly. I guess she didn't like hearing that though, for she went upstairs and twisted my words to Mrs. Waters to make it sound like I said she was only cared about because she was white." I explained.
     "I see," Mr. Waters said, "And I believe you. It's not that hard to do so given how I know my daughter and wife to be. I wish it were different, but...I suppose that's the way I've allowed things to be for too long."

His gaze as he stared off at the dark road in front of him was distant and sad.

     "I'm terribly sorry about how this evening has gone, and for how those two have treated you. I'll be speaking to them both. Hopefully, it will do some good this time around."

He paused.

     "I know it probably won't happen, but I wish you and Purity could be friends. I think you would be a very good influence on her."

I nodded sheepishly, embarrassed for a different reason this time around.

     "Well, I'll let you get inside and try to make the best of the evening that you have left."
     "Alright. Thank you for the ride and the ice cream."
     "You're most welcome." Mr. Waters smiled.

I slid out of my seat with my bag, crossed the road, unlocked the front door, and gave Mr. Waters a parting wave as I closed it before turning the lock once more.


I let out a deep breath once the safety of being in my house sank in. It was good to be home, and it blessedly made the whole awful event feel like nothing more than a bad dream. Walking towards the stairs, approaching footsteps had me pausing as Eden came from the second floor to meet me.

     "I thought I heard the door," he said with a frown, "You're back? How did you get here?"
     "Mr. Waters gave me a ride."
     "I take it things went bad?"
     "Yeah."
     "Why didn't you call me?"
     "I honestly think Mrs. Waters would have bitten my head off if I had had to wait for you to come get me."

The lines on Eden's face creased in deep concern.

     "Purity did have an ulterior motive in inviting me over," I began with a sigh, "She thought she could make me admit my jealousy if she was nice and shared her white world with me. Considering that she had been so much more receptive to me up until that point, I thought I would be able to have a more honest and mature conversation with her about what we felt. I was dead wrong. Purity purposely twisted a lot of what I said to make it sound like I was insulting her when she went and complained to her mom, and, given that this is Mrs. Waters I'm talking about, she began bringing the house down with her screaming at me. She practically forced me out of the house, and that's when Mr. Waters brought me home. He's really nice though."
     "That's one consolation, I suppose. And, credit where credit is due. You were definitely on the mark about this whole thing. I'm sorry I made you go, but I appreciate that you made the effort."
     "That's alright," I shrugged, "I got some pizza, ice cream, and a whole bunch of other free food out of it."
     "I'm guessing you don't need any of the pizza I ordered for myself then." Eden laughed.
     "You ordered a whole pizza for yourself?" I questioned in amazement.
     "I'm a guy." Eden laughed harder, it being his turn to shrug.
     "True," I giggled, "And you can have it all. I'm stuffed. I'm just going to go to my room."

I gave Eden a hug and turned towards the stairs, but Eden placed a hand on my shoulder.

     "About what we were talking about on the phone..." he said more seriously.
     "I'm alright for the moment," I reassured him, "Although, maybe we could talk about it later."
     "I think we need to talk about it later. I'll let you relax for now though, and I'd certainly like to stuff my face before my food gets cold."
     "Go ahead and get to it then." I laughed once more.


Button, who had been making herself quite comfortable on my bed, leapt at me and nearly bowled me over when I entered the room. As always, a wagging tail and many slobbery kisses was my welcoming. I didn't mind though, for it was good to be welcomed so eagerly after having been kicked out so angrily.

     "What a night it has been, and I'm barely sleepy yet!" I grinned wryly.

I turned somber for a brief moment.

     "I wonder if things are going to be alright." I mused unenthusiastically, "I don't know how long I can continue on like this."

I stared at the walls, glanced around the room, and finally looked right into Button's eyes full of pure love and adoration like only a beloved pet could give. Spurred on by my smile, my cheek was given another wet lick. I giggled.

     "Although, perhaps it was only because I was surrounded by so much white that I grew upset. Given that I'll never enter Purity's house again, I think I shouldn't have to be afraid of worrying so much again." I contemplated.

Just saying those words encouraged me, and giving Button another pet helped to remind me of how much I had gained since my departure from The Company.

     "Yeah. It might take a while. Things might get tough, but I won't say it won't be alright," I spoke to my dog and myself.

My heart swelled brighter as Button yipped cheerfully.

     "I'm sure of it. Things will be alright."
10 comments on "Gen One- Chapter Seventeen"
  1. *Sigh* That Purity really is awful. Why did her parents move away from the big city again? I can't remember if you mentioned it or not.

    I hope becoming white again is all Ethereal thinks it will be.

    (Evil thought: Wouldn't it be great if the Company kidnapped Purity thinking she were Ethereal? >:D All their problems would be fixed that way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please, PLEASE update twice a week? I am absolutely desperate to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cece- Yes, I realize why Purity's family moved is something I forgot to mention. It's not a big reason- her father's job got transferred to Berrybrook. It's also the reason why they moved from Rich Hills to Lavish Lakes.

    @Anon- If that's you volunteering to pay for all my necessities, for you I would put out an update every other day ;) XD
    I would love to just play all the time and get out two updates a week, but it's hard enough time wise to just do the one in the spare time I have when I'm not working, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there some kind of stigma against writers getting a Patreon page? I know a few writers in the sims community who are amazing enough to warrant a Patron page but there aren't even ads on most blogs. Making money from a "hobby" shouldn't be a bad thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I know, there's not. I think it's just that there are so few people who would actually donate to the creator through something like Patreon that it doesn't seem to make setting up a page worth it. I guess for me personally the thought of asking people to donate seems...vain? Haughty? Cocky, maybe? I don't know the right word to use, haha. I know that I'm a good writer and that others enjoy what I write, but I don't feel as if I've gotten to the point where my works are that monumental or influential that they deserve to have money made off of them. If someone was that eager to donate to me, I'd probably much more comfortable having it be a one-time payment through PayPal or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, before I reply, can you please tell me where you got Amaranth's hair? Please? xD I had it before but then my old laptop went dead and I haven't been able to get all the files of it.

    Anyway, dear Lord, Purity needs a good smack in the face. So does her mother. I like Purity's dad though, least he isn't blind to his daughter, but he really needs to put his foot down. Also, Eden needs to learn to listen to Ethereal. Just because she is a child and has small experiences doesn't mean she doesn't know things. She is really smart and knows when people are being like Purity to her, especially after her time being locked up pretty much. Children are smart and they do know things. Eden needs to realize that while she isn't book smart, she is still really really really smart about other things. I hope you update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty surprised that Eden virtually forced her to attend the sleepover when she did not want to go. especially knowing how narrow minded Shell is about her 'perfect' brat!! Sorry I STILL can not stop laughing at her saying Purity is perfect!!

    Mr Walters I FEEL SO SORRY FOR!! I guess he is beaten down by both his wife and daughter who are both stuck up their own backsides!!
    Sorry but that child needs a good slap!! She is just awful!! - I actually HOPE that she gets to see Meadow in her true colour one day and I also HOPE that if the company do come after Meadow that they take Purity by mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Vera- I remember I always get confused when I try to find the link location for that hair. I automatically assume it's from TSR, but it's actually one from My Blue Book: http://mybluebookblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/anto-75-converted-all-ages.html
    You'll have to let me know if it shows up for toddlers in your game, because even though I've re-downloaded the files and installed them it never shows up for my little ankle biters.

    I'm glad someone picked up on Glacier's position in the Waters family. He cares and pays attention, but he's stood by for too long not doing enough. Now he's realizing he needs to become more aggressive lest he lose the chance forever to make a difference. It's unfortunate that I can't spend any real quality time exploring that family's dynamics, but it will end up influencing the plot line eventually.

    Eden was being hopeful that at least Purity might have been making an effort, but yeah, he's got some more strikes against him now with this stunt and the name-slip last chapter XD

    Next update is on Monday like normal ^^ It'll be a huge time skip so that all the main kids are teens /(^^)/ It'll still continue with a lot of the issues presented in this chapter though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I will let you know, but I was wondering where do you normally get all your guy hair?

    *hugs* Hope everything is going good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mostly TSR, but I did find this awesome site a while back with a whole bunch of amazing hair (most of which I've yet to search through): http://simshairs.com/
    I particularly like the ones by Kijiko ^^

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9