Top Social

Color My World Short Story #5


Although I was expecting it at some point that afternoon, the knock on the front door still made my heart skip a bit in surprise. I welcomed the jolt, however. Fridays had become my favorite day for the reason of who would be standing on the other side of the door. It turned out that that Friday I received an extra piece of joy.

     "Charming!" I remarked at my friend's presence with glee when he walked in with Amaranth, "I didn't know you would be coming home this weekend. I thought you were going to be studying for that test retake."
     "I worked hard throughout the week, and I got my professor to let me take it this morning. I passed with flying colors, so I was able to catch a ride down with Am." Allium explained, pulling me into a tight hug before stepping back and beaming widely.
     "That's really good to hear. I'm glad you're holding up well with such a difficult class. I appreciate the hard work as well. What's it been? A month and a half since you've had time to visit?"
     "Something like that. Too damn long." Allium chuckled.
     "That's why he had me bring him along here first as well instead of taking him home. His mom told us you were looking after Hunter right now." Amaranth joined in.
     "Yeah. It's Eden's turn to take Button to the vet while I babysit, and Rose and Jac are off on a date," I explained, "The boys are over in my study area. We just came in from playing outside in the snow."
     "If you'll excuse me then..." Allium said merrily.


He skipped off to the other corner of the house. Almost literally skipped. Laughing quietly, I smiled brightly at Amaranth when he slipped his hand into mine. A long kiss was had before we shared a warm hug.

     "How are you doing?" I asked.
     "Good. The roads were nice and clear, and Allium coming along helped to make the drive down a lot less dull."
     "I appreciate you making the tedious trek. I know it's not enjoyable week after week."
     "Hey, I want to do it," Amaranth shrugged, "I miss you two too much to be put off by something as simple as a few hour car ride."
     "I've missed you too."

Our lips met once more. We held each other tightly once more. I took a long breath in, captured the memory of Amaranth's scent and touch, and pondered how I pondered each and every single week how I missed him more when he was in front of me than when he was at school. When there was that distance, I was forced to accept it. I went about my day. Yet, when he was nearby, almost all I could think about was how I hated those moments when he left. Having him home made me recall how deeply I cared. That kind of thing.


Giggling from my study area got us detaching and following Allium, who was now adoring the heck out of Hunter.

     "Oh my god, you've gotten so big! Baby brother, you need to stop growing," Allium cooed as he snuggled him and peppered his face with kisses, which made Hunter laugh a mile a minute, "Oh, but look at you. You are seriously the cutest. You're the best baby. As much as I can't wait for the day where you can walk, talk, and go without diapers, I want you little and precious forever."
     "I think I can feel a cavity growing just watching you." Amaranth teased as Allium rubbed his and Hunter's noses together. 
     "Please, I know you're the exact same way with Wisp when I'm not around." Allium bantered back.


Amaranth neither confirmed nor denied the statement. Allium went to point out that fact, but Wisp crawling over excitedly to Amaranth broke the conversation apart. I thought slightly of how nice it was to now have help looking after the two barely one-year-olds, but I thought more of how adorable it was to me to see two of my favorite boys interact with two other of my favorite boys. Allium spoiled his brother with his hugs, kisses, and words of adoration while Amaranth snuggled Wisp close as he engaged his baby babble with a conversation. I listened intensely to the simple conversation for a while. Wisp was so close to saying his first word. I could feel it. I wanted the moment to happen while Amaranth was around, but, if not, I was basically recording my son's every waking moment with my video camera during the week anyway.

     "We've been working a lot on his walking these past couple days, Am. You should see how good he's gotten." I proposed when Wisp grew tired of making random noises.


Both boys were eager to get to work. Allium tried to have Hunter copy his cousin, but Hunter wasn't having it at the moment. The two sat nearby in the corner while Wisp got to show off. Amaranth grinned proudly as Wisp was almost able to stand up entirely on his own, and he needed little assistance crossing the distance back and forth between us. His legs still faltered here and there though, and Amaranth remained quick with his reflexes to catch him where needed. My heart swelled when the minutes passed and my baby was zooming around the room as fast as he was able.

     "C'mon Hunter, he's totally showing you up." Allium teased his brother lovingly while Hunter only rested harder against his chest as he sprawled out on Allium's lap.
     "He was going at it incredibly well earlier in the day," I comforted, "I think being outside in the snow simply tuckered him out."


Wisp helped to prove my point. Hardly a minute later, he plomped his diapered tush firmly on the ground and refused to move anymore. Allium took Hunter upstairs to change his diaper that had started to smell while Amaranth and I took Wisp over to the large couch. Amusingly fast, Wisp fell asleep in Amaranth's arms.

     "I wish you could understand more of how good you have it when you're young when you're young. If only big Am could tell little Am to enjoy it while he can..." Amaranth spoke, mostly humorously.

I smiled outwardly, yet my good mood was dashed somewhat inwardly. Big tests were going on at all the colleges right now, leading to all my friends being absolutely swarmed with work. Amaranth sent me copies of his materials so I could follow along during the week and help him during the weekend, but sometimes it felt like barely enough.

     "Amaranth, you know...you don't have to come down every week. I've got things taken care of here, and Eden, Blaze, Rose, Jac, and Glacier help out so much." I reminded him gently, not being able to stop myself from staring at the thick lines of exhaustion under his eyes.
     "I know," Amaranth sighed, "But like I said earlier, I want to come. Even during the times when Hunter's over and these two are crying up a storm, I...I dunno. Being here is just somehow so...relaxing? Comfortable? I feel so much more at peace with you two around than I ever do with quiet moments at school."

His voice grew soft. I leaned against him and scratched the back of his head comfortingly.

     "I think I've shared a goal with you for a long while that I never really knew I had until relatively recently," he continued contemplatively, "You always wanted to be a mom, to have a family of your own because you didn't have a normal situation growing up. Neither did I. Now I see that it's really satisfying...being a dad, having what I didn't have. Honestly, sometimes I want to just stay here so badly and never go back to Twilight North. I think a lot about giving up being an astronomer if it would allow me this peace all the time."
     "You would regret it. You would grow restless here too before you knew it. You're tired and stressed at the moment, and that's the perfect mindset for doubts and second guesses to grow. Am, you just need to hang in there. Spring break is in a few weeks, and it won't be long before summer break, your second favorite holiday, arrives. Remember how nice it was last year? Almost four whole months being at home. I have an idea too. Wisp has gotten big enough. Why don't you let it be our turn to visit you next weekend? I'll drive us up, and we can take Wisp all around. You said your other two roommates never stay for the weekends either, right? And Frost won't mind us spending a few nights. If not, I can ask Flower or even just get a hotel room."
     "Your wisdom is as accurate as ever," Amaranth chuckled quietly, "I know too I would regret leaving school. I am just tired. I'll hang in though, and I'll definitely say yes to you two coming up. That's a great idea."


His comforted smile allowing me to relax again, more chuckles escaped his lips when I snuggled against Amaranth happy that I had been able to say what he needed to hear. Wisp lightly squirming in his sleep from being shifted prompted me to release the hold. Footsteps then came down the stairs.

     "Looks like your little guy conked out too, huh?" Allium spoke to us softly, carrying a very deep in sleep Hunter.
     "Yeah." I replied in a whisper.
     "He couldn't even wait until I was done changing him," Allium went on to reveal, "How can you just doze off when half of you is exposed to air and you're covered in your own crap? Babies are so weird."

Amaranth and I laughed along with him. There were some things we were better off not remembering.

     "Hunter is staying at our house this week, right?" Allium wondered afterwards.

I nodded.

     "Alright. I think now is a good time for me to take him off your hands then. I'll probably pop by again after dinner when mom and dad get back from their date."
     "Sounds good. We'll see you then."


With that, Allium and Hunter were gone. Wisp, I knew, would be out for nice long time, so I got him situated in his crib, I changed into lazier clothes, and Amaranth and I retreated to my room. The intention was to get as much of Amaranth's homework done as possible. That way we wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. However, sometimes exceptions had to be made. The two of us all cuddled on my bed as we poured over boring books didn't lend itself to a studying mood. Amaranth, his eyes staying closed longer and longer every time he blinked, dropped his head more heavily against my shoulder. His breaths slowed, and when I said something to him and it didn't even register to him that I'd spoken I giggled knowing homework just wasn't going to happen.

     "These are going to go here for the moment." I decided firmly, abruptly taking all the books and papers, collecting them in a pile, and placing them on the ground near the bed, "We have to take our chance while we can. Once Wisp is up, we have to be up. Might as well get some rest now."

I was met with absolutely no resistance. Amusement bubbled against my chest as Amaranth eagerly nuzzled himself against me so similarly to Wisp. My twin sized bed wasn't the biggest, but we'd long since learned how to make it work. Soon warm and comfy, Amaranth was out like a light. I remained awake for a while, stroking his hair, as I vastly enjoyed the moment of peace, yet it didn't take too long before my consciousness drifted off into a sweet slumber.
1 comment on "Color My World Short Story #5"
  1. Aaah... this was just so cute!! I want more of these little short stories!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9