Top Social

Getting to Know You


Normally, the thieves come late at night. This almost guarantees them that everyone inside will be asleep. Thus, it would be easier to swipe things without notice. However, the thief that came this time thought she would have an easier time if she snuck in when the sun started to rise and everyone in the house began waking and preparing for the day.

I was able to stop the alarm before it crippled me as it always does, and I blocked the door so the thief couldn't run back out. She stood there quivering in fear as we waited for the police to come collect her. They arrived five minutes later, and took her away in handcuffs. I have always wondered why the thieves never came to the little house. They actually could have stolen stuff there. There is no chance of the same here. You would also think word would get out that this is not an easy place to steal from after all the failed attempts.


The thieves always seem to come on important days as well. We celebrated Arnin's birthday later that evening after school got out and everyone did their homework. A few days after, Arnin came up to me to tell me she was interested in taking up sculpting as a hobby. Her art class had done a bit of it for an assignment, and now she wanted to do more. I was surprised. Arnin typically doesn't like getting her hands dirty. I encouraged her to look into it though if it was something she really did want to pursue.


There was soon another birthday to celebrate- this one being Navinai's. With the others at school and Sind busy painting, she and I took advantage of the momentarily free yard and beautiful spring weather. Navinai really wanted to play catch, but it was hard not to be frustrated with her. She was able to throw well. However, each time it was my turn to throw she would instantly close her eyes, turn away from the ball, and block herself as she just let it hit her without trying to do anything. Then she kept blaming me.


Navinai finally listened to my advice to open her eyes and make an effort. She managed to catch that ball after a few more attempts. The smile on her face was so bright. She was in a elated mood throughout the entire day even though she only caught the ball a few more times after that.


I ignored the task for a little while after Navinai's birthday, but since she had indeed had her birthday and we had returned to our proper home I had even less excuse than before to delay what I had to do. I actually needed not to let myself get held back. I still remember firmly from my time raising my other triplets and my quadruplets that the house quickly empties after they graduate. I would be left with nothing if I stalled for too long.

I also know that while the Goddess is not fond of delays, but I doubt she will blame me for Melui and Navinai's births. There was next to nothing I could do stop them from happening. However, I risk the Goddess' wrath now if I continue to ignore her wishes while not having to deal with interference. That's when the punishment will come upon my head. That's also why I spent a lot of time getting to know Dodge Carr before I subtly suggested you-know-what. I didn't want to ruin my chances with him.


Then there was one more birthday to celebrate. This time it was dear Cethiel's. She's actually almost as quirky as Sind is, but is thankfully more grounded. Sind is so serious when he paints, but when we're just talking I never know what is going to come out of his mouth. Cethiel wanted to get a job at the theater, and Rorion agreed to help her get a good position where she helps to open up for bigger acts.


It was after she left and at breakfast one morning when a realization hit me. My children are happy, well taken care of, and loved. However, at that moment, I felt as if I really didn't know them. I've been so concerned about keeping up with them that I've forgotten to look at them separately. This is especially true with Lomenia, Lithaldoren, and Lueth. I always group them together in my mind.

I knew I had to change that, and change that quickly.


However, it wasn't just my children still in school that I wanted to get to know better. I started my desire of spending more quality alone time with my children with Sind. I asked him where he wanted to go or what he wanted to do, and he quickly suggesting going to the cemetery. I was confused, but I agreed. Sind took me to a spot near the back of the cemetery where one can get a rather nice view of Sunset Valley. Sind revealed he comes to this spot a lot on his walks. I had no idea. I was already learning something new.


Sind explained that he used to come here to look at the names on the headstones. By pondering the names and the dates, he would try to imagine what each person's life was like. He then used what he thought of as inspiration for his paintings. When he eventually got around to all of the headstones, he had taken to coming to this spot and doing the same thing- only this time using the people he spotted on the street. Sind pointed out a man in the far distance. He said he could tell this man spent more time styling his hair, smearing lotion on his face, and picking out his clothes more than he admitted doing. The man said he had big dreams, but in truth only liked to get all dressed up and strut around like a peacock so he could brag about his big dreams.

I looked harder to see the man. I told Sind that it was Delenmir he was pointing towards. Sind laughed. With a teasing smile on his face, he said he knew.


After my time with Sind, the next opportunity I had to spend alone time with one of my children naturally went to Arnin. It turns out her mention of wanting to learn and get better at sculpting wasn't a simple passing idea. I thought she was staying later at school to hang out with her friends or something, but she has been staying later to make use of the school's equipment to practice the skill. Arnin told me she's become quite good. I revealed I had Fiendir's old sculpting station he left to me when he passed. It was too big to have out all the time, but we could take it out when she wanted to use it.

Arnin was ecstatic. We pushed aside the beds in the older children's room to set it up, and Arnin got to work while I stood and watched. She was so determined. I was so amazed.


I was even more amazed when I saw what Arnin made. Just what kind of practice has she been doing at school? It's been such a short amount of time since she got into sculpting, but she's already so skilled. When Arnin turned to me to hear what I thought, I encouraged her much more strongly than before to keep up with this.


That did lead to the embarrassing ice sculpture Arnin refused to put anywhere other than upstairs where everyone could see it though...


I have another artist on my hands. Lomenia desired to go to the art museum. One would think I had brought her to the park instead. Though she did so quietly, Lomenia ran about from exhibit to exhibit in pure excitement. I would have done more to control her if we weren't the only ones there. Lomenia was so happy to be there that we ended up seeing everything twice. I shall have to look into purchasing another easel for her since Sind is attached to our current one all the time.


When Lomenia became particularly interested in a piece of work I would let her use my MultiTab to look up more information. It was only in those instances that she would calm down and sit quietly as she read and read and read. I enjoyed just the presence of her company while being able to be in such a place of beauty and creativity.


Lithaldoren's time alone with me was more adventurous. He wanted to go the equestrian center to see some horses. We were too early to see any of the races that would take place later in the evening, but Lithaldoren was bouncing off the walls, almost literally, as we were allowed to walk through the stables. We then met a nice man named Mr. Alphonso Hammonds who introduced us to his horse, Ricochet. Lithaldoren and Ricochet became best friends as soon as they met. I was somewhat surprised my son was not afraid of these massive creatures for merely a second. I know even I had been when I was very young.


Mr. Hammonds was even nice enough to let me take Lithaldoren out on a ride. Lithaldoren's smile turned large and goofy at only just getting on Ricochet. I took him on a small but fast gallop around the center a few times. By the way he handled, Ricochet was clearly a racing horse. The ride made me miss Talron and Nari greatly. I probably thanked Mr. Hammonds more than Lithaldoren did.


I didn't quite know what to expect when it came to Lueth. She's like Sind- quirky. A lot of my children have been like that recently. I wonder if there is a reason to it or if it's simply coincidence. Lueth decided she wanted to go to the consignment store to do some shopping. In similar fashion to Lomenia and Lithaldoren, she too was so excited she was running about looking at everything. I was worried the cashier would get upset, but she was annoyed with the couple in the shop who were more concerned about making out than buying anything.


Most of what was for sale was paintings and wine. Lueth wanted a bottle of wine, but naturally there was no chance of that happening. She chose a pretty ballerina music box instead. Both Lueth and Navinai, who share a room, told me the next morning that the music box plays the most wonderful song.


Then last was Navinai. We ended up with the best kind of coincidence. Navinai loves warm weather, and it was the hottest day of the year so far. The water was still too cold to swim in, but we went to the beach to feel the warm skin shining on our skin. Navinai and I had the whole place to ourselves. We started out by building a sandcastle. Navinai made herself the queen. I was only a lady.


Next we did what made me think Navinai picked the best activity of them all. She wanted us to lay our towels close so we could just lie there and soak up the rays together. I was having such a marvelous time that I nearly forgot we had to go home. The sunlight was fading when we finally decided to leave. Thankfully, Sind was on top of preparing dinner for everyone that evening.


Though it's been much harder in the following weeks to spend time with each of my children like I have done now, I am more determined than ever to do what I can to give them all individual attention despite our crazy schedules.

And now, there's soon going to be one more who I'll have to spend some days alone with......
2 comments on "Getting to Know You"
  1. Aww spending time with the kiddies are great! Peter goes out with his brood alot, I should put it in chapters too XD
    You going to end up with one more or four more XD Great Chapter ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Ellothiel has triplets >:D You gotta fill that house back up! OVER STUFF! Just kidding.

    Ahhh handsome Sind <3 Such a deep guy. Haha, I love him! XD
    Navinai is so cute and Arnin's ice sculpture made me laugh ;)
    Arnin is beautimous! <3 Btw! I love her eyes. :D

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9