Top Social

Revelations


Being back was the strangest thing. As cliched as it is to say it, so much of what I was experiencing felt like a dream. Being in Sunset Valley again was half of the reason why I felt like that, of course. Then there was the other half that was me having a hard time accepting that the past several days had actually happened. My proposal had been up in the air for months now. Ada, naturally, had given my idea instant approval. The leader of the southern land had come around quickly as well. The leaders of the northern and western lands had been the stubborn ones. I had convinced Erien to convince her father to convince the northern leaders, so there was that. The rest of my efforts went into making appeals to those in the west. Because they were the furthest away from the humans geographically, they had the least amount of interest in interacting with them again due to that great distance.

When Anoriand, the son of those leaders, suddenly spoke up and said he wanted to participate in the first trip, the whole thing switched around rather rapidly. That had occurred at the end of summer. The last few weeks had been preparing all the technicalities and paperwork for our visit. Due to Pemir's words that first time I consulted with him about the idea, I made sure that ada made sure to provide plenty of protection for our group. It was only Pemir and I who knew that government officials were dressed up as normal citizens to act as our secret bodyguards while we were in town. They were so good at blending in that even I forgot they were there. I was free to stand and stare without being disturbed to my heart's content.


I reveled in my ability to do so for I had not been able to have a moment to myself until today. Six of the eight I had brought with me had stuck to me like glue because of their initial fear of being away from home and in a place they had always been told had been dangerous. The only two who were more ambitious were Abrien and Pemir. Abrien had wormed her way into coming once it was decided that Eloril would remain behind so he could spend more time with Erien. She was the only one truly fearless from the beginning. Pemir pretended he was comfortable, but I believe he simply was hiding his anxiousness in an attempt to appear unaffected. Things had changed drastically though. Galith, Unoviel, Anoriand, Elrir, Cilmathien, and Gilthralad were all currently wandering about the fall festival on their own enjoying themselves to the fullest extent possible. Elrir and Cilmathien had even been willing to dress in human clothes! Such boldness wasn't extremely surprising though. I had purposely chosen those who were genuinely interested and excited about passing through the wall for the first trip. I had needed everyone who went to have a positive experience if I wanted more trips to be approved.

That was why I chose Sunset Valley as our destination. It was a small, peaceful town full of friendly people. Twinbrook and Riverview had been my other two choices as they, along with Sunset Valley, were the closest to our lands. It was still too soon after Lemerion's death for me to have gone to Riverview. Twinbrook had been my preferred place until I remembered Wesley. I had been avoiding talking about him like his name was a curse. The last thing I needed was to bring a whole group of my peers to the town where he was buried. The chance that he would pop up in a conversation was far too great. That had left Sunset Valley as the only option.


Though I hadn't been able to help moving away from the others to reminisce about the town I had once called home, I did grow a little too distracted. I would find out later that Abrien had had the gall to brave the haunted house all by herself. While she did handle the experience well, she would go on to claim for the rest of the trip that there was definitely a ghost following her.


The lone disappointment that I had about the trip was that my group did have a tendency to stick together. Ada and I had planned several lesson events. The nine of us had instructed small groups of humans from Sunset Valley on topics such as our language, our history, our culture, our fashion, and various other aspects. I could also then convince my charges to engage in conversation with the residents if I prompted them enough, but as soon I stopped they all came together and blocked out any outsiders. I knew I had to have them take small steps at the beginning, but I suppose I had been hoping for them to try and create real connections. Learning and teaching was fine, but I knew it was making the emotional bridges that would have the most impact.


On that day we went to the festival I ended up going off on my own while everyone was distracted. I had already taken the group on a tour around town. That tour included my old house. However, I had to go back there by myself. I was blessed that the current occupants appeared to be out when I arrived. They hadn't been too cheerful when they had discovered a bunch of elves standing outside their wall trying to take a peek. They, like the ones who had lived here when Eloril and I visited, had refused to allow us to come take a glance inside. My intention had been for us to only take that quick peek as we walked by, but everyone's curiosity had gotten the better of them. I couldn't blame them. My curiosity was getting the better of me too. The longer I stared at the house the more my heart ached with loss and desperation. My cheerful mood shifted something much more somber.


Before I knew what was happening, I realized that I was slowly walking closer towards the door. I most likely would have gone right up to it had Pemir's voice not stopped me.

     "You'll want to be careful. Everything has gone fine up till now. All your hard work will go to waste if you get in trouble with the 'police' you talked about because you were caught trespassing." he warned with a light bit of humor added on.

I hid my surprise. It seemed my slipping away from the park had not gone entirely unnoticed.

     "I know," I laughed sadly, "I just happen to have this foolish idea in my head that if I get close enough my children will suddenly appear and greet me as they once did."

Pemir was dead silent at that. It was how he became whenever I brought up the harsher realities of the order with him. We could talk about the good times for hours. Whenever the bad times showed up, I learned it was better to change the topic. However, this time around, I went and pushed his boundaries.

     "Will you come with me?" I asked into that horrible silence.
     "Where?"

His voice was barely a whisper.

     "To the cemetery. I couldn't stand to see my children's graves the last time I was here..."

I paused.

     "I have to see them this time though. Despite having the knowledge that my children are dead, I have to confirm it to myself once more. Then that should kill off the last of the hopeless delusions I have that I might see them again."
     "I don't think it's wrong that you-"
     "No, I don't want to hope even a little. I don't want to have one dream that I'll be with them again. It sounds cruel, but cruel is what the whole nature of the task has been. The sooner I accept the truth of my reality, the sooner I might have a chance at feeling normal. I told you that being in our lands helped me to push away my grief. I did think I had found my new normal while I have been home these past few months, but standing right here proves that I have a long way to go. If I want to keep coming on these trips and enacting change in our people, there can be no other way."

Pemir sighed.

     "I honestly have no idea what is best, but I will come with you."


We talked little on our walk across town and up the hill to the cemetery. I had anticipated bringing the others here as part of our visit, but my courage had failed at the last second. The truth of it was that I probably wouldn't have decided to go by myself either if Pemir hadn't shown up. By having him come along, there was no option for me to back out. I was both thankful and mildly perplexed when the wave of emotion I was expecting didn't hit when we shuffled around glancing at all the graves. My best rationalization for the unpredictable calm in my chest was that I obviously did know very well that my children were dead. Having more proof that that was how it was wouldn't really shock me.

     "Elioviel Goth." Pemir read out as he glanced at the gravestone I was looking at, "The surname is peculiar, but I'm suspecting she's one of yours?"
     "Yes. She married Mortimer Goth, who is on the right here next to her." I explained.
     "From the dates given here, it looks like they were married for a long time."
     "They married as soon as they were done with their schooling," I explained before giving another sad chuckle, "I remember being incredibly jealous on her wedding day."
     "How come?"
     "Oh, it was seeing another one of my daughters getting to have what I never will that caused it."
     "You do not think you will get married?"
     "I'm not blind, Pemir," I laughed more exasperatedly this time, "I have noticed quite easily the difference between the interest shown in me before I left and the interest shown in me now."
     "A simple weeding out of those who were never truly serious. Not all have departed."
     "Oh?"

I raised my voice slightly as I gave him a look out of the corner of my eye. His expression was still too hard for me to read. I couldn't discern if he was giving me friendly encouragement or if he was hinting at something deeper.

     "I don't think you should write off the idea so soon." he continued.
     "Maybe." I considered.


We left that conversation at that for Pemir went on to suggest that we return before the others began to worry. I agreed. We made it to the park right before our group did indeed begin to question where we had gone off to. Our disappearance hadn't been noticed because Abrien had gotten everyone into joining Elrir and Cilmathien in picking out pumpkins. She had told them of how humans would carve them into different designs, which had intrigued them. A pumpkin had been picked for Pemir and I as well. I made a quick run over to the grocery store to pick up the necessary supplies. I'm sure it was quite a sight to see nine elves sitting there on the ground at the park carving jack-o-lanterns. What was more impressive than that is that everyone created theirs without any mistakes. As we obviously were not able to take them home, the festival allowed us to leave them near the picnic tables as decoration.


It was the day after that when it was time to head home. It seemed a waste to depart so soon, but the amount of time we stayed was the longest period I had been able to negotiate. Ada said it was for the best. It was better to have a shorter practice run first before the trips grew longer in both length and depth. To get our people accustomed to the exposure was something that needed to be built up slowly. I must admit, I was so ecstatic to give ada the excellent report when we next met that I forgot my previous disappointments. Anoriand would be passing the same message onto his parents when he reached the western lands. Then when the leaders convened once more, plans for a second trip could be discussed. Ada warned me that another one would most likely not happen this year, but I was satisfied for the moment. That my ideas and actions were coming to fruition at all was something to be most pleased about.


However, what I was not pleased about was what changed afterwards.

I went back to being horribly bored. There had been little for me to do in the months leading up to the trip, but the anticipation had kept me preoccupied. Now there was nothing to distract me. I assisted my family with our family's normal duties, I rode Sulfaer, I played with Abrien, I visited my friends, and I continued polishing whatever skills I had learned on the human side of the wall that I could still practice here. Unfortunately, even then there remained far too many hours in the day in which I had no obligations to fulfill. That meant those hours became the time where I had nothing to do but grieve and wallow in the thoughts of my depression. The pain had lessened enough. What I had lost was not on my mind constantly as it had been. Yet, the mementos in my room were a curse as much as they were a blessing. There were moments where I had not the strength to do anything but rock gently in my rocking chair while I stared at the little presents my children had left behind while I thought back on all of our years together. I cried as often as I sat there in a numb daze.


What began to break the monotony of my routine was Pemir's visits. I did not see him for a time after the outing to the human lands. Then he began to drop by occasionally. We would sit and talk or take a ride and talk. It was incredibly similar to how our relationship used to be. However, I soon began seeing him every day. Our casual conversations dared to take on more complex topics. Pemir was willing to open up to me in a way that he never had before. I must admit that I was at a loss. Never was I able to forget that brief exchange during our walk to the graveyard. It couldn't actually be that he was serious about pursuing a relationship with me, could it?


I kept him at arm's length for quite a time. Marriage had always remained a desirable goal of mine, but I had never considered that a romantic relationship could be waiting for me so soon after the order was over. Pemir had made it more overt for me that that was his intention. His words became bolder and his actions more meaningful. They actually frightened me. I didn't know what I felt. I wasn't sure what I wanted. He reassured me over and over that he wasn't going to rush anything, but it took my mind a while to find rest. I had to force myself to ignore things like nana's not-so-subtle hints that I should pursue Pemir and just give it a go. With my hesitations pushed under, I began to enjoy entertaining the thought that there was something waiting for me if I kept to the path we were on.


But, of course, it was all too good to be true. I don't know when I noticed that there was something off about the way everything was progressing. It must have been once the thrill of the possibility of getting what I wanted began to wear away. The hesitation slipped into complacency, and my thoughts turned rational once more. Then there was the experience of the love I had once known challenging the supposed attraction Pemir was professing that there was. The harder I looked, the clearer the difference between his words and true feelings became. Pemir was good at playing the part, but as soon as he assumed I wasn't looking the expression he wore on his face changed into the exact opposite of what he was attempting to portray. I soon became confused by him. With every bit of clarity I claimed, the secret that Pemir was just as an unwilling participant in the situation as I was beginning to be was undeniable. It didn't make sense then why he made such strong efforts towards something that wasn't really his goal. So I thought. I thought and I thought, and eventually I recalled a particular person in Pemir's family- someone he had never been capable of disappointing. The truth quickly became so laughably obvious that I couldn't even be upset.


I allowed the charade to continue for several days more, but only because I hadn't the slightest idea as to how to state that I had worked it all out. I did consider Pemir a dear friend. Despite his actions not being the most honorable, the last thing I desired was to push him away. Much to my relief, the disastrous end to our make-believed turned out to be quite amicable. It was not one of our planned meetings. Pemir simply happened to come across me at the stables as I was brushing Sulfaer.

     "Good morning, Ellothiel. Good morning, Mr. Prissy." Pemir greeted both Sulfaer and I.

Sulfaer snorted at the comment. He was far too intelligent for his own good. I had a hard time stopping myself from laughing as Pemir, Sulfaer, and I all knew that Sulfaer would kick Pemir a mile high had I not been around.

     "Good morning, Pemir." I greeted in return.
     "It is a glorious morning. Since convenience and chance have us both here at this moment, why don't I grab Salion and we head our for a brief ride?" he suggested.
     "Sulfaer and I have actually just returned from one." I revealed.
     "Is that so?"
     "It used to be a habit that I had with Talron. We would head out on early morning runs without fail each day. I've found a similar schedule is necessary to keep this one here satisfied." I explained.
     "A case of unfortunate timing then. Later in the day perhaps?"
     "Perhaps..." I whispered so quietly even I could barely hear it.


Pemir glanced at me with mild perplexity.

     "Pardon?" he asked.
     "I said perhaps."

I had tried to answer as innocently as possible, but my voice rapidly faltered. It was that moment where I knew I had to address the uncrossable chasm that stretched between Pemir and I.

     "I would like to go out on a ride with you," I started, "But I want it to be a mere friends. I don't think we should be anything more than that anymore."
     "Have I done something to offend you?" Pemir queried, his voice full of confused disappointment.
     "I should be offended, though I am not."
     "Would you be kind enough to give a clearer answer?"

Every inch of logic within my body told me I had every right to be furious. Instead, it took so much energy not to laugh. Pemir was a fine man, but there was one way in which he was still very much a little child.

     "You've blindly followed the order of your naneth again, that's what." I answered.

Pemir tightened up.

     "What do you mean by that?"
     "I truly don't blame you. I know what she is like. I remember the earfuls she would give me that I would waste myself if I chose anyone but you. She's a well-meaning woman at heart, I give her that, but she is ostentatious and a tad haughty."

Pemir didn't say anything. I went ahead and laughed.

     "You are not denying it," I giggled, "So, then, deny anything of what I am about to say if it is incorrect. Your naneth knows as well as I do that I am undesirable as a romantic partner because of what I had to do for the order...as well as because of choices I made on my own. Still, I remain eligible for marriage. I am desperate for it, in fact. So desperate, that surely I would latch onto to whomever might continue to show interest. So desperate, that I would accept anyone with ease if he gave me what I craved. Your naneth could have her son become an heir to the land, and I would get what would otherwise be denied me."

The look on Pemir's face was near priceless.


I smoothly walked around Sulfaer. Pemir nearly coward like a small child getting in trouble for the first time. He was thrown off when I gave him a gentle smile.

     "I mean it, Pemir. I am not upset. I don't approve of what you naneth put you up to and what you were following through with, but I also know that wouldn't haven't followed through to the end. You're too good for that. I also know that much of the kindness you have shown me has been genuine. I am willing to let this all slide, but only as long as we remain friends."
     "I hardly deserve it. I don't deserve it at all, but I do wish that to be so. However, I also wish you would be sterner on me so I might ease some of the guilt I have from tricking you."
     "Right not, my last desire is to be angry. I am already hurting so much-"

For one moment, my emotions almost made me lose control. The pain I had been working so hard to control nearly caused me to explode into tears. It wasn't because of Pemir's actions, but through the simple admission that I was indeed hurting. Ignoring the wounds of my heart had been how I kept myself in check the majority of the time. Remembering the storm within me allowed it to seep out when I would rather not have it seen. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and fought for control.

     "I can't handle holding anymore negative emotions within me," I continued as Pemir gave me an empathetic look, "If you'd like, your punishment can be to deal with your naneth's reaction when you tell her that her little plan has failed."
     "A just punishment indeed." Pemir laughed.
     "You truly need to stop letting her dictate your actions so strongly."
     "I know. She has concocted ludicrous plans before, but this one pushed my limit. I will let her know none of us will go along with them in the future. It is time for both of us to grow up."
     "A wise revelation." I agreed with a smile.
     "I concur," Pemir chuckled, "And a much needed one. What's also needed- a ride. Salion does need to be on one today. I promise it will be only as friends, so would you still be willing to join me?"
     "Pemir, I would like that very much."
     "Wonderful."
     "It's a date then!"

I smiled at myself at the intended irony of the words, but Pemir gave me an extremely puzzled expression. I laughed once more.

     "Ah, it's a human expression. Just ignore me." I explained with a dismissing wave of my hand.
     "I will do so, my lady." Pemir sarcastically acquiesced, giving a bow as well.

He then turned to leave, but took merely a few steps before adding one more thing to the conversation.

     "You said that I have been genuine to you throughout much of our time recently. I hope you know that...the day in the graveyard...I was being genuine there too. It might not be with me, but I know you will not end up alone like you fear."
     "Thank you, Pemir."


He then departed the stables for the morning. I listened to the birds singing as I resumed brushing Sulfaer, but I was soon whispering to him instead.

     "You'll love going out an another ride later today. However, I'm sure you're up for one right now as well. I know we only got back from taking you out, but suddenly I have the need to get away for a little while. That sound alright to you?"

The question hadn't been necessary. It really did feel as if Sulfaer could run for a week straight and still crave more. He was prepared to go by the time I completed my sentence. I took the opportunity to be rash. I dropped the brush to the ground as I mounted onto Sulfaer's back, knowing Tond would have to forgive me later for leaving one of his tools so carelessly lying around. Sulfaer and I didn't even bother using the stable doors. A small jump from my horse has us easily clearing the fence. We were well out of sight within seconds.

I didn't know in which direction we ran. I didn't know where we were heading. All I knew is that we traveled on until the land around us began to grow unfamiliar- an impressive feat. I found a cool pond for Sulfaer to drink from before we nestled together on the ground to relax.

    "Why are you such a big sweetheart to me?" I asked my hoofed friend as he let me cuddle him, "You won't let anyone else hold you like this, but I bet I could throw a tantrum against you like a tiny child and you would probably think of me as no more than a pesky fly."

Sulfaer's ears wiggled for a lazy response. I scratched behind them as he always liked. While I was doing that, I admired his coat for the millionth time.

     "How you managed to have such a brilliant coloring I will never know. It's definitely brown in this light, but in the stable is takes on that marvelous red hue. I almost feel as if I've seen such a thing before. Of course, I can't remember from where I get that memory."

With a small sigh, I rested against Sulfaer. He stretched out more on the ground, and we remained like that for at least an hour. I couldn't measure the exact length for I accidentally fell asleep. Sulfaer joined me in my nap too.


Our return around lunch left me rather embarrassed. Ada and Eloril had told me they needed me later in the day for something important. Getting clarification for when "later" would be had been pointless. I walked into my home with a sheepish expression as soon as I spotted the two of them talking, but Eloril merely gave me one of the largest smiles possible when he rushed over, grabbed my arm, and gently pulled me into their tiny circle of conversation.

     "This is suspicious." I noted.
     "No doubt about it," Eloril joked along, "You have perfect timing though."
     "For?"
     "You're finally going to get the answers for the thing that you've been asking about for decades now."

That didn't clear anything up for me.

     "Oh, come on! You used to bug us about this all the time, and now you don't have the slightest idea?" Eloril laughed in amusement.
     "I'm sorry I cannot read your mind."
     "Ah-ha! Reading my mind- that's a hint."
     "Would you care to add sense into this conversation?" I asked ada in exasperation.

The smile on my face fell when I saw his expression. It was nothing like the exuberant one Eloril wore.

     "Are you alright?" I changed the question.
     "I am well. Just...a bit nervous about how you might react."
     "I am getting very confused. Is whatever this thing is a good thing or a bad thing?"

Ada and Eloril glanced at each other. Ada shrugged.

     "Good thing." they answered in unison.
     "And it's actually waiting for you right now," Eloril revealed, "You'll understand what I've been getting at as soon as you work out what it is. Just go through the back. It'll be right there."


Eloril's grin was too merry for my liking. Ada's demeanor wasn't encouraging either, but what could I do? The two of them went upstairs as I made my way over to the backyard. I stopped shortly before I reached the arch. Eloril had called the thing an "it", but what was really there was a person. That definitely caught me by surprise. I looked back over my shoulder, but of course ada and Eloril were already gone. My curiosity was intense, but I stood there hiding behind the arch to watch the man for a moment. He was incredibly nervous. He fidgeted greatly when he sat. However, he didn't sit for long as he stood and paced furiously before it seemed he attempted to get better control of himself. The whole thing was mildly amusing.


Though it was not my intention to sneak up on the visitor, I might as well have. He was standing with his back to me when I reached him.

     "Hello." I said calmly.

He jumped a mile before spinning around on the spot and staring at me with wide eyes.

     "Hi!"

His response was nearly a shout, and the higher pitch of his word was another testament of his nerves.

     "I, sorry, uh," he attempted again, "Hello."
     "You need not be so nervous." I told him with a polite smile.
     "I'm afraid I have to be." he admitted with a light chuckle.
     "Because of me?"
     "Ummm, well, sort of."


I stared at him with a quizzical look. This whole situation already had my head spinning. Judging from Eloril's words, there was clearly something that this man was supposed to make me remember. There was something I was supposed to be figuring out that I just wasn't getting.

     "I'm sorry," I started, "I really just don't understand that. Why do you have to feel nervous around me? I don't think we've met before, have we?"
     "Mmm, now that's the question. Technically, we've talked before. Quite a lot, actually. But then....you haven't met me. Not this me, but a different me."

I didn't get what he was saying right away. I was too distracted by his manner of speaking. It was so casual. The movements of his face as he talked were exaggerated to the point where they were almost comical. I had only seen humans express themselves in such a way. I had behaved similarly as well at points, but that was because I had spent so much time among the younger race. My mind began entertaining the idea that the man in front of me might have spent time with the humans until those words of his did sink in. I had heard something very similar to them once.

We had met, but we hadn't really met. That was what the figure of Wesley had revealed the first time he appeared when Silas had me captured. Slowly, the gears of my mind put more words together. Eloril had joked about me reading his mind. When Silas had lost it, he had accused me of communicating to another elf through our thoughts. Eloril had said the hint was telepathy. Eloril had said I would finally get the answer to thing I had been asking about for decades. I had asked them about the elf who had saved me for decades until their stubborn silence caused me to give up.

     "AH!" I exclaimed.

My cry was louder than his voice had been.

     "You've put it together? Please tell me you have. This will be so much easier if you figure it out instead of me having to say it."
     "You're the one who got me away from Silas!"
     "That was me, yes."
     "You're the one who killed him!"
     "Uh...yes, that was me too."
     "Oh, I don't blame you for it. He practically brought it upon himself. In that situation, I suppose it was either me or him."
     "A fair point, but I will never be proud of what I did."


He shifted hesitantly. It was clear that particular topic wasn't a pleasant one for him, but there was no blaming him for that. Silas might have earned his death, but a life was still taken. To have been the one to have taken it- I couldn't imagine what carrying that burden must be like. I hurriedly changed the topic. Those questions I had buried burned brightly as it was finally time to get my answers.

     "So, I have to know- why were you the one to rescue me? Did ada recruit you to help in the search after he found out I was kidnapped?"
     "No. I was already in the humans lands...serving a similar purpose though. One that I failed miserably at."
     "What was it?"
     "Keeping you safe." he chuckled wryly.
     "What?"
     "My job was to keep you safe."

I was confused for a only a second more. As soon as I thought back, all the curiosities began to fall into place.

     "It was you that Rithranduil warned me about! You were the one I chased that day at the festival!?"
     "I had grown too complacent," he chuckled again, "You had not noticed me for so long, but you almost discovering me forced me to pull back once more."

Anger began to purr in my chest.

     "Wait, so what? Ada had you following me about everywhere since the order began?" I questioned intently.
     "Again, no. I have not been watching over you since the beginning. I took up the task on my own when you were about halfway done with your work. Your adar asking me to do what I did was merely a formality."

He gave me a sudden, teasing smile.

     "And you cannot be angry with me. I told you I would help you in any way that I could, and you said nothing against it."
     "What are you talking about?"
    "Ah," he sighed, "You've only figured out half of it. I really don't want to have to say it myself. I'll just remind you of what I said a moment ago that you appear to have passed over in your shock. We have met before. We talked a lot before, but you knew me as a different person than the person who stands before you now."

I stared. He shifted nervously once more. What he said was the truth. I had already forgotten that bit of information.


I thought figuring out what he wanted me to figure out would be an impossible task. The reality was that the shift happen almost instantaneously once I looked at his eyes. They were a beautiful shade of blue that seemed purple when struck with the right light. His hair was the same way- brown with a red tint. That hair of his grew shorter. His long, pointed ears were hidden beneath a hat. The clothes of a noble-blooded elf transformed into a bright blue shirt that he had worn all the time. In seconds, the illusion of the person I had known and had thought was long dead stood in place of his true identity.

     "What is your name?"

The question was a whisper. It was all I had been able to manage what with my breath having been stolen away.

     "Laril."

The answer was barely any louder than my own words. However, it caught in my chest and spread throughout my body like wildfire. The truth I had just been given wholly uprooted much of what I had thought about my past. It changed everything about what I expected for my future.

The human I had known as Lar Smith...

Was an elf named Laril......
3 comments on "Revelations"
  1. Ello's first field trip seems like it was a moderate success. :) Good to have the situation clarified with Pemir--his signals were very confusing! And Lar the photographer is the "stalker" and Red Sneakers... ah, I love it! I would def ship them. :P Ellothiel/Laril... Ellaril? Ellotharil? Larilthiel? xD Whatever... I approve, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She might have had some struggles dealing with her demons of the past, but yes, overall her main goal was achieved ^^
    I grew to like Pemir more than I expected. His character was supposed to be more of a sleazeball who would have tried to convince Ellothiel that her only choice at marriage was marrying him, but I turned him into a hopeless mama's boy seeing as how I did grow to like him (and his original character didn't fit very well within the elven culture.)

    Yup yup :D It's fun to finally have it out in the open. Were you able to recognize him before you saw the "human" version of him? Could you figure it out through the conversation? Or was it the official reveal at the end?
    My favorite couple name for them is 'Loril. It's a combination of Ellothiel's "official" nickname of 'Lo and (naturally) Laril's name. It's a bit too similar to Eloril, but it's a whole lot easier to say than Ellotharil or Larilthiel, haha. Larilthiel cracked me up by the way XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure Ello still has a lot to come to terms with, so having her go back to the human lands brought those unresolved emotions back, which I would expect. I think you did well as far as illustrating her personal struggles without overshadowing the purpose of her visit. And her pain was somewhat less than it had been, at least. It’s just going to take time.

    Haha, I’ve had something similar happen in my challenge too. I ended up liking the ‘vamp brothers’ too much to make them the evil characters I’d originally had in mind, and I think writing them as I did ultimately worked out better for the story.

    The conversation alone verified for me who he must be, though I think it was still a good idea to officially confirm it the way you did. I had long suspected “Lar” to be more than a simple photographer, if only because his previous encounters and relationship with Ello seemed… unfinished story wise, and I felt that there was/would be more to it, if that makes sense. But since it had been so long since Ello had last seen him, if he had been a human he would’ve passed away long ago, so to my mind, the only explanation left was that he must be an elf in disguise. At least, I was hoping, lol, because I believe that as changed as Ello was by her experience of living on the human side for so many centuries that the best partner for her after the task was over would be another elf who also understood humans on a deeper level than most. (And I really wanted her to have that, so I def wasn’t shipping Ello and Pemir, haha.) Taking that, along with an unknown elven stalker guard and the unknown elf that rescued her from Silas... it fit together so well. Anyway, I am happily giddy at the prospect of ‘Loril. xD

    Also, thanks for the follow! :)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9