Top Social

The Arrival


It never fails. Each time I go outside, or simply look out the window, I fully expect to see Eloril coming down the sidewalk. He told me he would be here around this general time period, but who knows what kind of delays he may run into. As long as he doesn't bring another space-born foreign baby with him, I suppose I can accept whatever can happen. I greatly fear any delay from him though. I'm already terrified enough as it is. Some part of me can't stop believing that the letters from Eloril are actually from the man who took and burnt the previous ones. What if he's merely pretending to be Eloril to set me up for disappointment?

However, it really can't be that way. The letters are in Eloril's handwriting. Even if that man could copy his style, there would be no way he would know how to fluently write in elvish characters like the letters sent to me were in. Every rational part of me tells me that it's only my nerves getting the best of me. I just wish it was as simple as it sounds to ignore those nerves.


As the days passed, I began to think that it's maybe- no wait. Probably. The fact that it's so hard to control my nervous emotions is probably almost 100 percent due to my pregnancy and my hormones going wild. The worst of the emotional fluctuations happen towards the beginning period of me carrying a child. My baby is steadily growing, although I haven't had the time yet again to get an ultrasound. Boy or girl doesn't matter this time around. I just won't be able to stand having multiples again. I pray to the Goddess every day to not speed this task up past what I can handle.


After two more long, difficult weeks of calm frenzied waiting, the miraculous day finally came. The timing was perfect, because I was really starting to lose my grip just a little. I was at my desk desperately trying to force some more of a novel out when I heard the front door open and close. I thought nothing of it considering that Serith, Tirith, Renduil, and Rion had been running in and out of the house all afternoon as they played. The lone thing that should have caused some suspicion was that whomever entered was too quiet to possibly be any of my children.

The next thing I knew, Eloril was knocking on the side of my open door peeking into the room and calling my name. Our eyes met, and I was stunned still for a few seconds. Then I nearly shoved my chair over as I jumped up to give my brother the tightest hug I could manage. Time stood unmoving as soon as I wrapped my arms around him. I was amazed at how it felt like he had never left. It was almost like he had just gone out to run some errands. The only hint at any passage of time was Eloril's clothes. He was wearing the uniform of the soldiers of our land. When I asked him about it, he told me not to worry. Eloril had simply taken up the responsibility of teaching the youths how to fight, and over time became accustomed to wearing the uniform.

He stopped me as I began to ask him more. Before we talked any more, he had to give me my surprise. I had completely forgotten that he said he was bringing something.


It was near impossible to stop shock from overtaking me when another figure hiding out in the hallway then came through my door. My ada was standing right in front of me, smiling that warm, familiar smile. I practically melted as he took his turn to embrace me. There was absolutely nothing to be done about the tears that began to run furiously from my eyes. Ada teased me, saying I still cried at the drop of a hat, huh? I only laughed hopelessly. I'm sure I looked rather ridiculous, but I didn't care. Ada and Eloril have seen me at worse.


Ada held me until I finally stopped crying. I was composed enough that we were able to talk properly. Ada's appearance here to me was dumbfounding. I can't possibly count all the times in my childhood I remember him vowing that he would rather see his immortal life end than ever set foot again on the human side of the wall. He told me that I was here now. That changed everything. So much time had passed since I left our home, and I'm not even anywhere close to finishing the task set out before me. Being able to see me was worth throwing away his old reservations.

Coming to see me was actually something he decided on a forever ago. It had taken a long time to get everything secured at home though since naneth would be overseeing everything on her own while he was gone. And he would be gone a while. This trip of his and Eloril's wasn't some week-long vacation. I was going to be graced with their presence for Goddess knows how long. Naturally, I was thrilled to hear the news. 

Eloril then jumped back into the conversation. He asked me if my clothing choice meant that I was currently pregnant. I told him yes. Another girl, he jokingly asked. I laughed again. I hadn't found that out yet. Ada was confused and curious as to what we were talking about. Surely the only way to find out was when the child was born, was what he thought. I briefly explained about ultrasounds. I told him he could even come with me to see how it worked first-hand. Maybe, he said. Ada asked me if I had my child at the hospitals here. I quickly answered no. Except for the few rare occasions where the others forced me to go, all my births have been at home. Despite the amount of time that has passed, I still believe that humans complicate the birthing process too much.


What happened next was a whirlwind affair. Serith, Tirith, Renduil, and Rion came rushing inside to my room wanting to ask for money for the ice cream truck that had come by. They forgot all about ice cream when they realized their grandfather and uncle that they'd only heard about through stories I've told were now before them. Lomaraniel heard the noise and came downstairs as well. Eloril quickly bonded with all of them. Since he's spent so much time here before, he knew what to talk about and what questions to ask. He appeared quite comfortable- once more making me feel like he never left.

Ada, as you might expect, was very much out of his element. That was something I've never seen from him. His reaction reminded me a lot of the emotions I saw run across Eloril's face when he first saw I had born children. Ada knew I had children. However, I don't think he ever thought about how set I am in the role of being a mother considering that he looks at me and still sees me as his baby girl. Even if I was living back home, though I might be casually courting, marriage would be a long way off. Child-bearing wouldn't be more than a thought lingering in the back of the mind.

It was clear Eloril had given ada some tips for he was talking about things he shouldn't know about. None of Eloril's coaching could prepare him for the real deal though. I did the best I could to bring up topics everyone had at least a little knowledge about. Conversation began to flow easier once the children started asking questions about the elvish land. That was something ada knew very well. As he talked, I watched him carefully. I could tell that he was trying very hard not to judge. I saw his disapproving looks when he saw the girls' clothes, then the general informality all my children expressed. Then I saw that disapproval disappear as he made his heart realize that there was much more beyond the surface.

I nearly burst into tears again. I don't think I ever felt so much love towards my ada in my life compared to what I felt towards him in that moment. Humans have done so many terrible things to him. His father was killed next to him in battle, and he suffered the loss of his mother from her heartbreak. Naneth's own father and mother were slaughtered before the two of them as ada rushed to save naneth from being killed herself. He was held down to the ground as some of our women were taken advantage of. He was helpless to stop the children of our land from being abused, and forced into labor and slavery. The very humans he swore to help protect when other humans threatened them turned against him once they found power. There are so many horrors in his memories that I could never bear myself. If anyone has the right to never forgive humans- it's ada. Yet here he is, willing to live amongst them again. Willing to try to understand them and find love in his heart again. All for my sake.

I only just managed to control myself as all eight of us filled up the dinner table. I looked at the family before me, and thought there could be no better dream.


It was very loud that night. It was only by accident that I looked at the clock and saw how late it had gotten. I sent all the children to bed immediately. Eloril volunteered to clean up. I was aghast at how many dishes there were, not to mention how much food we went through just for one meal. I thought I was already spending too much time over the stove. I'm going to have to be cooking all day to keep up. I tried to assist Eloril with the dishes, but neither he nor ada would let me. They told me that they're here to make things easier. Dishes were something they could easily handle. Eloril then used that logic to stop ada from helping out himself. He and I were to catch up instead. We took the opportunity. We really did have almost two centuries worth of stories to tell.


Once the mess in the kitchen was taken care of, another mess was there to greet us. I had to make a quick decision where to put ada and Eloril for the night. In the end, Eloril used the spare bed in the boys' room, and ada stayed with me. I told them before we all settled down for the night that the best thing to do would be to change the library upstairs into their bedroom. The two of them told me not to go through so much trouble, and did their best to convince me to change my mind. I likewise did my best to make them back down. They did. I saw then that I was going to have to be firm with them. They wanted to help, but if I'm not careful their help will most likely upset the routine I've worked so hard to create that stops everything from falling to chaos.

When we got into bed, ada fell asleep right away. I'm sure he was exhausted from the long journey and stress he's been under just coming here. I gently studied his face as I drifted off myself. It's been since I was a child that I shared a bed with him. It's truly strange. Back then, he was always just ada. My ancient, but child-at-heart, ada. Yet I saw him in that moment, and there was someone new next to me. The feeling is hard to describe. I guess all I can say is that I saw ada as a person for the first time, if that makes any sense. It was hard to see him as older. He was someone just like me. I suppose this is one of the complications of eternal life and youth. It probably won't be too long before someone disbelieves me when I tell them ada is my ada.


Serith, Tirith, Renduil, and Rion came to me together as a group the next morning to petition for them to stay home from school so they could get to know their orada and vede better. I told them there was plenty of time for that after school. Besides, it wasn't like the two of them were going anywhere. They were not going to skip school. My two sets of twins grumbled loudly as they went to wait for the bus. Lomaraniel thought she was going to be able to come with ada, Eloril, and I to the furniture store, but she didn't get off the hook either. She wasn't going to get any special treatment because she was home-schooled.

It was much easier than I anticipated to get the extra room set up. Our purchase consisted of two twin beds, two side tables, and a dresser. Ada and Eloril weren't picky about what they wanted, so we were in and out of the store in less than an hour. There was the matter of moving everything and getting the room rearranged, but with ada and Eloril being so physically capable, it didn't even become an issue. They had their new room together before lunch.


With so much spare time, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to finally get an ultrasound for this new pregnancy. With a bit of batted eyelashes and puppy-dog eyes, I got ada to agree to come with me. It's nice to see that my talent for manipulating him hasn't waned over all these years. While he's unmovable on the serious matters, getting him to go along on my whims over small things was always easy. It was practically guaranteed.

Ada was even more uncomfortable at the hospital than he was last night. It didn't help that the doctors asked if he was the father. It was like reliving Nadrien's awkward first encounter with Eloril all over again. It took some time to convince them that he was my father. I could tell in the end though that ada was very glad he went though. There are no words to describe the expression of sheer amazement and wonder on his face when he saw the baby moving inside me through the monitor. I think he fully realized then that I'm carrying a living thing. He kept feeling my stomach the rest of the day.


Eloril found the chicken coop while we were out. He told me he took the risk to see if things would be different with our chickens here, but he had the displeasure of meeting Charles. I'm afraid Eloril's hate for chickens has only grown worse now.


I kept my word to my children that they could spend the afternoon with their orada and vede. With the warm summer weather settling in, we all made good use of the pool and water slide in the backyard. It was heartwarming to see ada get so used to loving my children so quickly. Before long they're going to act as if they've been together all their lives.

Due to that day being quite the special occasion, I allowed the children to stay up late so we could show ada and Eloril the true beauty that makes Aurora Skies what it is......
2 comments on "The Arrival"
  1. GAAAAASP!!! Her Ada came! That's just... *tear* ... that's so sweet!

    *cough* So I've been working my way through this (slowly... heh) and I really wasn't gonna comment until I reached the most recent posts... but I couldn't help myself this time.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9