Top Social

Gen Four- Chapter Twelve


All it took was a few hours on my first night sleeping on one of the couches to learn the floor was the preferable option. Even the couch in that apartment with Mr. Flaxen had been better. I'd dropped to the ground where my weary eyes kept awake by discomfort instantly slid me into peaceful bliss. Coriander had been on the other side of the room that night. We'd both slept soundlessly until Jessamine coming out to begin her day jokingly poked us each with her foot. This morning, however, my companion in sharing the lesser sleeping arrangements cared nothing for letting me doze as late as I wanted. Tulip only had one night every week to not have a bed simply for fairness's sake and not because she didn't earn enough money. This was my first day of the new week where I was on a timer to make that fifty dollars.

     "Ah, what a beautiful morning," Tulip spoke obnoxiously loud.

She stomped about remarking unnecessarily on mundane things and narrating her actions like she was a character in a book. Clearly, she meant to wake me up and keep me up by being annoying. I didn't care as much as she wanted though. My desire for a few more minutes of rest blocked out her attempts at being distracting.


What did force me out of the sleeping bag was the urge to use the restroom. The line for the one port-a-potty could get long if everyone stirred at the same time. That's why I rushed up to get my chance before the line could form or I would be stuck in that awkward moment doing my business with someone waiting and listening on the other side of the plastic. Tulip shifted to ignoring me when I returned, and I should have left it at that. The stupid idea to keep doing what I'd been doing blossomed in my chest though while rolling up the sleeping bag and fixing my ribbons.

     "Good morning. Sleep well?" I approached with a smile.

Kill her with kindness. That was the grand plan. It made sense enough in my mind. Tulip thought she could drive me out by being the biggest bitch possible. However, the more she sought to achieve that the longer I planned to stay. I, in fact, refused to leave until my cheerful brand of stubbornness beat her sour attitude. In that particular moment, she stared down at me with the thickest expression of disgusted exasperation.

     "You think you're so cute, don't you? Believing I'll give you a break if you act sweet. It only makes me despise you more."
    "That's fine. All I can do is my best. How I feel about my actions is more important than what others think about them."
    "Now I want to barf. I mean, I always do when I see you and your stupid ribbons, but even more so than before."
     "What's wrong with my ribbons?" I held the end of my braid for inspection.
    "You're not pink, for one. I love my color, so seeing you dirty it not knowing your place drives me up the wall. Then your delusion thinking you're honoring your mother wearing them also churns my stomach. Do you not understand what you were to her? You're the face of her rapist and murderer. You were not wanted. Get it? She would not acknowledge you as hers given the chance, and she wouldn't want you thinking you could lay claim to her either."
     "The couch and sleeping bag aren't the best sleeping situation, I understand," I spoke holding back a quivering breath, still trapping what was left of my smile. "I'm sure your mood will improve after breakfast."


Tulip scoffed and rolled her eyes as I returned to my side of the floor. Exhaling ever so slowly to hide that she did know the one topic to break me down fast, I fiddled with the sleeping bag ties just to give me something to do. No way did I want to change in front of Tulip, but I didn't want to wake Jessamine and Cinnamon by slipping in their room. Breakfast couldn't distract me either until Leo and Coral came out.

     "Ugh!"

Tulip suddenly squealed at the same time she thumped hard onto one knee. I turned around in time to see her wobbling to her feet wearing a scalding face of fury.

     "How dare you!" she barked.
     "What?" I asked, genuinely confused.
     "You just pushed me over!"
     "Uhh..." Honestly, how was I meant to respond? I'd done no such thing, and to push her over and return to my spot facing away from her as quickly as she turned around defied physics. "I...I'm fast, but I'm not that fast."
     "You!" Tulip raged.

Thankfully, she wasn't proud enough to push the impossible. Suppressed embarrassment replaced much of the anger when understanding also hit her that there was no way I'd done any pushing. Tulip faced away again with a huff. She busied herself gathering her things and brushing her hair, complaining about a draft of cold air leaking in from somewhere. I let her be. No sense stirring up that beehive.


Leo blessedly came out several minutes later. Breakfast was cereal. I chose the bran flakes, not minding the blander taste and wanting to have the healthier option when possible. My hands and legs shivered by the end of my bowl though. The cold milk didn't exactly help the fact that the warehouse did trap the cold with an icy bite. Pieter explained there were rechargeable space heaters Leo and Coral charged at their apartment, but they were only to be used when the frigid temperatures couldn't be combated with warmer clothes and blankets. The rising sun and me changing in my normal clothes brought me to a more comfortable state. Since I was kinda giving up on living alone in my hut, my mind wandered to expanding my wardrobe.

A matter brought to the forefront by someone else aware of the impending problem.

     "Ah, Cinnamon. I know you're heading out, but do you have a quick moment?" Coral stopped me outside.
     "I was leaving a bit early to make sure I wouldn't be late. I have a few minutes," I confirmed.
     "This won't take even that long. I wanted to check if you wished to go shopping with me later this afternoon."
     "Shopping? Like help you get groceries?"
    "No. It would be clothes shopping for you. The temperature is starting to drop fast, and you don't have good outfits for such weather."
     "I...but I don't have the money for rent this week yet. I can't afford any clothes," I pointed out.
     "I know. This would be my treat. Tulip is forever spoiling Cinnamon, and I was looking forward to getting to do the same for someone this time. Besides, there's this absolutely cute second-hand shop for younger girls that I've always wanted to go into," Coral beamed.
     "I don't think I can say no then," I laughed.


Coral clapped her hands together and positively radiated joy. I could see why the others considered Coral the 'mom' more than ever. She was hardly older than Jessamine and Tulip, but her excitement to dote on me broke ever more my desire to return to my hut. Tulip being clingy on Cinnamon actually really helped me as well. The girls in this 'family' remained outnumbered despite my addition. Coral didn't have wiggle room to be close to Tulip and Cinnamon, and her and Jessamine didn't seem especially close either. I was the lone source of doting care she could bestow.

     "Oh, good. You're still here, Gravel," Coral said when he rounded the corner.

To help prove my point, this then happened.

     "Would you mind walking Cinnamon to her job?"
     "I know which building it is. I don't need to inconvenience him," I said.
     "It's no bother. We want to make sure you get where you need go safely, huh?"

Gravel read the subtle command, shrugged, said nothing as usual, and motioned for me to walk with him. Coral waved us farewell.


Despite what Leo had said about needing to know the basics, no one really knew anything about Gravel. He'd been chased from his house from his parents and had been here a year and a half. That was it. No one pestered him for conversation, he obviously felt no need to talk, and he simply did what he needed while causing no issues. The burning itch of curiosity coursed my body with an ache though as our walk into the city progressed. Gravel didn't stare with his quiet eyes the disheartened defeat of one who'd been scorned by the world. Heartbreak or sadness didn't radiate off him. He just appeared a normal guy. It could be he was good at hiding such things, but, despite his silence, I didn't get the feel that was the case.

     "Do you feel lucky?" My tongue twitching for conversation finally spat out a thought.

The question worked too. Gravel stopped walking for the briefest second, caught off guard.

     "That's an interesting question," he pondered, his voice normal. "What do you mean?"
     "I suppose it's not so much do you feel lucky, but...I've been wondering how I should consider my situation. The life I had before was wonderful, but it was built on horrible lies. It should be a good thing I finally found out the secrets. However, most everything has only been miserable since the truth came out. I was put in a situation where I, a kid, felt safest living on the streets. Now I've found this 'family'. Some parts of it are good. Some parts of it are bad. Just like most things in life are, I guess. I don't know though. Even with everything it's helped me with, I'm still a kid living on the streets dealing with the fact that the people I loved hurt me and the rest of my family who should love me hates me instead."
     "You want solidarity in regards to your conflicted feelings," Gravel put it together.
     "I think that's what I'm asking, yeah."
    "I don't want to be living at the warehouse, for sure. Yet, what can I do about it? I can't go home. It's not safe for me there. This was my only choice to keep myself from being hurt. It sucks that it is the only option. I'm sorry that it's the only option for you. I wish for the day it's different for both of us." Gravel turned back with a warm smile. "Because we'll definitely find the place where we don't have to wonder if we should count ourselves lucky because we'll know we are."

A smile matching his curled my lips.


We arrived at the building with time passing effortlessly. Gravel and I spoke of what we missed from home. Not wanting to dig too deep, my shoulders relaxed when we got stuck on the the topic of food. He recounted all his favorite dishes while I shared some of grandpa's recipes it was hard to live without. The idea that Gravel wished to be left alone firmly flew out of my mind upon that arrival. He wasn't anti-social. He just needed the right questions. Some people required more than simple chatter to care to be engaged, after all.

     "You're done here around one, right?" Gravel asked.
     "That's when they said they'll be back."
     "I get done a little before that. I'll wait here so I can walk you home."
     "I'd love that, thanks," I said gratefully. "What kind of work will you be doing?"
    "There's this group who buys storage sheds that haven't been paid for. They're also hired to clear out stuff from houses, usually of grandparents who have passed away. I'm not an official employee, but they pay me in cash when I have the time to help them gather everything up, inventory it, and load it out in the warehouse they have of their own. They generally let me pick a thing or two from each haul as well. Some stuff I've kept, but mostly I pick lesser value items that still sell for a decent price. Let me know if there's anything you want, and if I ever come across it I'll see what I can do."
     "Anything koalamb!" I jumped on the offer instantly.
     "Koalamb? Oh, from that monster show."
     "That's the one."
     "Got it," Gravel chuckled.


He ruffled my hair and made sure I got inside the building first before taking off. I straightened my hair, hit the buzzer button, and told my hands to stop sweating on the elevator ride to the top floor. The research I'd been so proud of for what I could do to earn money ended up disappointing. Half of the ideas wouldn't work because I had to register my identity with someone, leaving my situation wide open for discovering. Then the other problem was my age. People didn't trust kids like me with the responsibilities that would provide cash. My best hope was the babysitting website Leo helped me sign up on, but I soon realized when a good number of requests were to watch children my age or not that much younger that my climb would be a steep one. Only one request came my way, which led me to where I was now.

Being led through the front door of one of four penthouse apartments had me meeting my client in-person for the first time.

     "Hello, Mrs. Glaze. It's nice to meet you," I said politely.
    "Likewise," she replied with a nod. "I'm glad to see you being punctual. The last few babysitters thought the arrival time was open to interpretation. Reading your profile, however, made me confident I made the right choice in asking you to come over today."
     "I hope I can live up to what you expect. This is my first time babysitting, but I'll do my best."
    "You seem like an honest and upright young lady." Mrs. Glaze said that, and then her eyes traveled down to notice my ribbons. Her expression fell with dislike for a moment. I didn't want to give the ribbons up, but Pieter was probably right. Removing them to meet the approval of the people giving me money wouldn't hurt. Thankfully, Mrs. Glaze continued without addressing the matter. "I feel confident in giving you this chance. Shall I introduce you to Jade?"
     "Of course."


Mrs. Glaze leaned to peek through the nearby archway.

     "Jade, come here sweetheart."

The three-year-old enraptured with her blocks in the other room only spared a brief glance in our direction.

     "Jade."

Another prompting was necessary to get her on her feet and standing before us. She stopped upon seeing me. While she didn't stare warily, she glanced at her mother for instruction on how to react to a strange person being in her home.

     "Jade, this is Cinnamon. She's going to be playing for you with a few hours, remember?"
     "I want to go to 'venture House," Jade pouted, disheartened.
     "That's this afternoon. Daddy is teaching his class, and I have to go to my meeting."
     "But..."
     "Hi, Jade. It's very nice to meet you," I joined in, leaning down for better eye contact. "My name is Cinnamon. You're going to have lots of fun this afternoon. I'm here to make sure you have lots of fun this morning. That's a whole day of fun. Doesn't it sound nice?"
     Jade pondered for a moment before bouncing merrily. "Yeah!"
     "What's your favorite thing to play? We can do that right now."
     "Dolls! I tell you all their names. C'mon!"

Jade snatched my hand in hers and tugged for me to follow.

     "Yes, I think things will be just fine. You two can go off. I'll finish getting ready and then say goodbye. Everything else you need to know is written in the notebook by the phone over here," Mrs. Glaze explained.
     "That's perfect. I'll make sure to take a look as soon as I'm free," I laughed as now Jade was stuck to me incessantly.


Mrs. Glaze departed five minutes later. Jade moped momentarily at her going in the elevator without her. Then I read in the notebook to get her some outside time. Suggesting we move her dollhouse to the patio sent her reeling in delight. I got the gist Jade's parents preferred neat and orderly, so us putting her favorite thing vastly out of place tickled that toddler inclination for chaos satisfactorily. One similar aspect between mother and daughter though moved the conversation back to my choice of accessories.

     "Where's your pink?" Jade wondered. She'd drawn incredibly close to my face, peering unblinking into my eyes.
     "I'm Solid brown."
     "Why wear that?" She pointed to my ribbons.
     "Because my mom was pink. Wearing them makes me feel closer to her."
     "Is she home?"
     "No. She's...very far away."
     "Where?"

I hesitated. My first problem arose already. Had Jade's parents explained to her at all the concept of death? Would they be upset if I explained it to her? Should I make something up, or was it better to distract Jade off the topic completely?

     "She's...she's in heaven." I went with the best compromise I could find.
     "Oh, I know heaven! I want to go there too. Maybe mommy take me tomorrow."
     "No, it's a place you can only go to once. You don't want to go until you're super old."
     "Yeah?"
     "Uh, yeah."
     "Why?"

And here I thought the hardest part of this job would be winning the approval of Jade's parents.


Not wanting to push the wrong buttons, the second tactic went into effect. I asked Jade to tell me more about her dolls, and she forgot about her question for good. Well, at least for the rest of the time I was with her. Describing Jade was difficult to do. We spent most of the first hour with her dolls outside. She spouted scenarios and events for them to live through in a constant stream. Was it her who was so creative, or was it all little kids? I couldn't remember so far back. Regardless, I loved every moment of the fun. Jade attached herself to me without hesitation. By the end of the second hour, I was being called her best friend. It made my heart flutter and ache at the same time. I fell for her too. Was this what it was like to care for someone like a sister? Was this a mere glimpse at what I could have had? It boggled me to think about it how there'd been an entire other existence matching mine. How another had grown with me in the womb, and how we had had a bond unlike most could know even as infants who knew nothing.

And whatever that had felt like had been stolen away.

     "You know," Jade babbled as we moved towards her room for her after-lunch nap, "you know, I'mma be a sister!"

This was a day for the world to attack all my thoughts, huh?

     "You are?"
     "Or a brother."
     "What?"
     "Mommy doesn't know if baby is a boy or girl."
     "Oh, I see what you mean. However, you're going to be a sister no matter what. That's what you're called if you're a girl with a sibling. It's the baby who will be a brother if he's a boy, or, again, a sister if she's a girl."
     "Ohhhh. You smart, Cinnamon."
     "Thank you."
     "Teach me more?"
     "It's time for your nap, and I'll be going home before you wake. If you tell your parents you want to play with me some more though, I'm sure I'll be able to come back another time."
     "I'll do that!"


So far, so good. Mrs. Glade had been praising me before she had any real reason to do so, I checked off everything she wished for me to do on her list, and Jade was on my side. No doubt this would end up becoming a solid gig. If Mr. and Mrs. Glaze gave me good reviews on the website too, it could lead to a whole host of jobs that would have me never worrying about rent.

     "Cinnamon, how is everything?" Mrs. Glaze wondered when she and her husband returned.
    "Everything went well. Cinnamon got her outside time, we both exercised by dancing to the children's radio, and we had so much fun she didn't even ask to turn on the television. I got her to eat lunch with little complaints, and she's sound asleep for her nap."
     "Perfect. Absolutely perfect. See, Forest? I told you there'd be nothing to worry about."
     "I have no problem admitting I was wrong. Thank you for such wonderful work," Mr. Glaze chuckled, "and, it's nice to meet you, Cinnamon."
     "It's nice to meet you as well, Mr. Glaze."
     "Would you like a ride home?" Mrs. Glaze then offered.
     "Thank you, but that's alright. My foster brother said he would come pick me up."
     "There was a gray boy wandering about on the sidewalk. Would that be him?"
     "Yes, that's Gravel."
     "Well, we shouldn't keep him waiting, should we? Here you are, dear."

Mrs. Glaze pulled out her wallet. I opened my mouth to thank her, but those words fell silent seeing what she gave me. A ten dollar bill. Ten dollars for four hours of babysitting.

     "Um, I don't mean to come off as rude, but the price was to be forty dollars for my payment."
     "We, uh..." Mr. Glaze began confident only to stumble over his words. "No, I, uh, it was me who forgot to fill up the car. We had no choice but to stop for gas on the way home. Unfortunately, the station we like was having problems with their electronic readers, so we had to go inside to pay. They were only accepting cash at the time. We had to give them the other thirty of your payment to make sure we didn't stall at the side of the road."
    "I don't have anything to do for the rest of the day. I'm sure Gravel is free too. We won't mind waiting if you could run to the bank. My foster dad said he could also cash a check for me, if that's more convenient."
   "What...what about Tuesday afternoon? After school? Forest and I need Jade watched again then. You'll earn money from that, and we'll give you fifty dollars on top of that to make up for the inconvenience now. How is that?" Mrs. Glaze offered.


A minute or two later, I exited the front door of the main lobby to find Gravel kicking a stone, walking to it, and kicking it back the other way. Not noticing me, I watched him repeat this several times until he finally glanced at the doors.

     "Teaching that rock who's boss?" I teased, moving up to him.
     "It dared to stand in my way," he bantered back. "So, how did everything go?"
    "Babysitting Jade was fine. She's the sweetest thing, and I had a lot of fun with her. I thought Mr. and Mrs. Glaze were fine too, but..."
     "But?"
     "I'm pretty sure I got scammed," I pouted, pulling out the ten dollar bill. "They were supposed to give me forty. Apparently, their car really needed gas, but the place they went to just happened to have their card readers broken so Mr. and Mrs. Glaze had to use my payment instead. When I said we could wait while they went to bank or that they could write a check, they said they would give me even more money if I babysit Jade on Tuesday."
     "That sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. What did you tell them?"
    "I...agreed. I don't think I should have, but I really do need the money. I've also been really distrustful of people since the incident happened with my dad and grandpa. Is it stupid that I'm having faith and hoping they were telling the truth?"
     "What I think is that you're a good person for giving them the chance to prove themselves. They'd be stupid to disappoint you," Gravel encouraged.
     "Thanks."

Before he could have the chance to protest, I wrapped him up in a big hug. He hugged me back without hesitation, even clutching me tight to lift me off the ground and make me laugh.

     "Let me know if they screw you over again. I'll have none of that. I also put most of my money into savings, so I can spot you for the week if you come up short," Gravel said.
     "Thanks again, but I'll be fine. Pieter's still under his punishment. He has to cover any shortage of mine for my first few weeks."
     "Still, if you need help, let me know."
     "I will," I smiled wide.


Having made sixty dollars from his efforts, Gravel treated us to a plate of cheese fries on our walk back to the warehouse. Conversation came once more without an awkward moment of pause to be found anywhere. I thought again of how much I mourned for the loss of the sister I should have, but my chest bounced believing I might have found a brother instead. Why would I want to go back to my hut now? Sure, Tulip and Cinnamon remained miserable, but I was beginning to feel more like I was lucky.

     "Mmm, that's so bracing!" I gushed to myself.

Coral hadn't been around. Leo was though. I gave him my ten dollars, explained why I didn't have more, reassured him when his eyes narrowed at the Glazes' actions, and meandered toward the ocean for a moment to myself. A short ridge of rock created a pleasant shelf to splash in the water on the other side of the fence, but that would have to wait until next year. The water was freezing now. Did I miss swimming though! Summer couldn't return fast enough.

     "Haha, you look happy."


I turned to face land, and Coral stood there watching me, amused.

     "I love the water," I explained. "I never got to see the ocean though before I came here. However, I would have gotten the chance to go scuba diving."
     "Oh?"
    "Dad's work dipped into different departments. One of them was underwater exploration. I was working hard to go on an introductory dive hosted down south to explore some caves."
     "That sounds like the experience of a lifetime. I'm sorry you don't get to do that now. Is that what you want to do when you grow up though? Be a scuba diver?"
     "I don't know. I always assumed I'd end up working for dad's employer in some capacity, yet I hadn't chosen what I really wanted to pursue. My absolute favorite thing is dancing. However, that wasn't something that was needed."
     "But you're good at dancing?"
     "I like to think so."
     "I'll have to find a way to get you to teach Leo. He's horrible," Coral laughed. She motioned me in closer and spoke softer. "I'll tell you a secret, this one time"
     "Hey, you two!"

Jessamine, bolting our way, lost me my chance at the juicy secret.

     "What is it?" Coral wondered.
     "You're going shopping, right? I want to come with."
     "We're going clothes shopping. I thought you didn't like that."
    "I'm so sick of hanging out with all these boys, and you know Tulip and Cinny hardly want me intruding with their precious hang out time. I'll gladly come with you for clothes shopping, I'm so desperate for something different."
     "I do understand that," Coral nodded.


And so our duo turned into a trio. Coral ducked inside the warehouse to let Leo know we were off before we began our adventure. Jessamine chuckled at me trailing Coral like a duckling. It wasn't until this point where my leaping heart and bubbling chest revealed how excited I was for the outing. I'd never been shopping like this before to go into a store not worry about someone asking me why I was there alone or counting each precious penny hoping I'd have enough. Each penny I saw on the street I did still pick up. It slowed us down some, but neither of the other two said anything.

     "This is going to be fun," Coral remarked. "You'll be easier to shop for than Pieter and Jam too. They don't care what I buy them, but finding things in their colors can be difficult. It's much easier when a person is Solid."
     "Actually, I was hoping...would be it be alright if we found some stuff with pink on it if we got that instead?"

After the potential scamming with Mr. and Mrs. Glaze, I was backtracking on my previous decision.

     "Pink? If that's what you really want, I don't mind. You'll get more looks wearing clothes with pink than you will wearing your ribbons though."
     "It'll be fine. Look at me. I don't care, and people get over it quick enough," Jessamine motioned to the blue on her jacket and her brown boots. "If they do care so much that they can't get over it, than they're people I don't want to be around."
     "That's a good mindset. I agree," I supported.
     "I'm even thinking I might look for something black today."
     "Now, Jess..." Coral gave her a look.


Jessamine shrugged. Whether she was seriously about looking for black clothes or not, the opportunity didn't come. We were going to a store for girls my age, after all. Coral's eyes glittered like a child on Christmas morning stepping into the place. The place was pretty big and neatly organized by Solid color before going through the endless color combinations in the back. If Jessamine and I hadn't stopped her, Coral would have bought everything in the brown section regardless of whether or not it fit me. The problem also lay with that people were bringing in their summer stuff that was no longer needed. The pickings for warmer clothing weren't much considering that was what everyone else was shopping for. The three of us had a great time shifting through the racks and bins for items that would pair up well with multiple options. Luck struck with everything in the end. Coral got her two main objectives filled warmer clothes and better walking shoes. I got my pink. Jessamine got the compromised something she wanted when we stopped for a mid-afternoon snack of burritos.

     "C'mon, girl. Flaunt it!" Jessamine cheered upon our return to the warehouse. She'd insisted I change to show off one of my new looks. Not used to such attention, I did a twirl and flicked my hair back. "So cute. I can see more of why Tulip dotes on Cinnamon. It's like having a living doll."
     "I don't think I'm that cute." I squirmed, my cheeks tingling.
     "You are. What I wouldn't give to be like you."
     "What do you mean? You're really pretty, Jess."


I frowned at her waving me off.

     "You don't like how you look?" I asked.
    "It's more..." Her upbeat attitude faded. She slowly raised her hand to touch her scar. "I don't care about people looking at me because of my clothes. It's this that bothers me. I've used so many scar treatment creams, but none of them work."
     "Does it bring back bad memories?" I guessed somberly.
    "That's exactly it. I want to forget the disgusting people I came from, and I'm always so close to doing it. However, each time I look in the mirror or a random person on the street asks me what happened to my face it brings it all back. I was already leaving like my parents wanted. Why did my sorry excuse for a mom have to throw that glass at me?"
     "I'm sorry, Jess. That's awful," I mumbled.
     "Agh, I'm sorry. I don't meant to be depressing."
    "No, no. It's fine." I stole another chance to make this 'family' into more of a family by attaching myself to her waist. "You can talk to me if you want. I don't know if it's worth anything either, but when I see you I don't notice the scar. I just see you."
     Jessamine laughed. "You're seriously cute. Your family rejecting you are disgusting people as well. I'll have to spoil you a lot in their place."
     "I guess I'm more charming than I realize," I giggled. "Coral, Gravel, and now you."
     "You've got Gravel under your thumb?"
     "I...I think so."
     "Damn, girl. That boy doesn't speak to anyone. You've got some magic in you."
    "I just talked to him about something more interesting than the weather. I think that's the kind of conversation he needs."
   "Well, keep it up. It'd be great if he starts talking to the rest of us too. Why don't you go show your adorableness to him, actually?"
     "I"

Jessamine was already pushing me out the door.


Unfortunately for her, Gravel wasn't around. He'd gone off somewhere at some point. Like usual, not a word was said from him to anyone. Coriander wasn't around either. Coral had shown Leo the outfits as soon as we arrived like a first-time mother buying her baby's first clothes. That only left the three boys outside, but I couldn't think they'd care about a new, used dress. I walked over intending to simply join their conversation. Jam raised his hand to wave at me, but that turned into him clapping his hands together and laughing like a little maniac when Pieter turned to see me, abruptly stood close, and planted a big kiss on my cheek.

     "P-Pieter!" I pushed him back, flustered.
     "What?" He grinned like a devil.
     "Don't do that!"
    "Is something wrong?" He now tilted his head innocently. "I already told you I thought you were cute. Your new outfits suits you so well, I couldn't help myself."
     "Ooo, looks like we've got a new couple," Jam cheered.
     "No," I denied, my cheeks burning more than ever. "Pieter's just being an idiot and teasing me."
     "Isn't how they say a boy lets a girl know he likes her?" Skylar pointed out.
     "If he's looking for a punch to the face, maybe. The idea of picking on someone to show affection is out-dated and ridiculous."
     "I'm not picking on you," Pieter said. "I did think you are so cute that it warranted a kiss. Besides, weren't you the one who said people need hugs and affection? That that's how a family shows each other they love one another?"
     "Oh, he said 'love.'" Skylar smirked.
     "Hugs only!"

To that, Pieter crushed my lungs with the tightest embrace of my life. He seriously jumped on Jam to tackle him with an embrace as well, which prompted Jam to chase him around.


I sighed, releasing the unexpected tension and rise of emotions out through that long breath. Skylar glanced at me, glanced at the two crazies speeding around, and chuckled.

     "Pieter can be a brat. We all can."
    "I don't mind it that much. He just caught me off guard. It's true I said what I did, but even I'm not used to behavior like that from other people."
     "To be fair, Pieter isn't good at saying things directly most of the time. He hides some of what he means in his teasing and pranks. I'm sure he does genuinely just find you cute."
    "Everyone keeps saying I am. I don't know how to react to it." I scratched my head. "I'm just being myself. I don't feel like I'm that special."
    "You're in a sucky situation like the rest of us, but you're like Cori. You're just more...normal. You actually know what it's like to have a happy home. You're bringing that love you learned with you, I guess. It's brightening up the place, you simply being you."
     "I..." Gosh, if my cheeks weren't on fire now. 'I don't know if that's true."
     "It is."
     "Should I test it out?" I mumbled that more to myself, but, of course, Skylar would catch it.
     "Huh?"
     "I really like your eyes, you know," I revealed. Not just Tulip, what if I tried to kill everyone with kindness? "Your skin and hair is this darker blue, so your bright, azure eyes glow like a gem in sunlight."
     "I" Skylar sputtered. My blush jumped from me to him, and he squirmed as I had.
     "I guess you're right."

At his expression, I laughed yet another time this day. After a moment, Skylar joined in.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9