Top Social

A Proposal


It was an odd thing. Not too long ago the park where festivals and parties were held had been full of people. Now there were only a scarce few remaining. It was to be expected for a early afternoon celebration. They did not usually hold the grandeur of the parties that began around supper and lasted until the next morning. An all night celebration had been what ada had been planning, but my stubborn insistence that I would not attend such an occasion frustrated him to the point where he agreed to move my welcoming-back event earlier in the day. It was the lone way he was able to get me to come. One could otherwise not throw a party if the one it was for did not show up. The result didn't make ada happy, but I was satisfied. My people had thankfully realized that my mood was not particularly cheerful. I was welcomed by all, but everyone was content to leave me be for the most part. Some did strike up a conversation. I began conversations as well. However, the fear I had that I would face more insensitive words became something I didn't have to fear at all. It was true that many of the party-goers expressed their thoughts of me surely being glad the order was over, but that was the extent of what I had to handle.

Most of the discomfort that was experienced was a result of the still awkward air between Galith and I. I had sought her out that morning to reconfirm that I wasn't upset. She had asked to be forgiven, and I had forgiven her. It was when she acted as if that had never taken place when I did begin to grow somewhat upset. In truth, I had already moved on past the whole issue. Galith's comment had hardly been the first inappropriate thing that had ever been spoken to me in my life. It was more frustrating to have her linger on the matter than the actual matter had been. I had hoped to speak more about it to her, but with her and Rendion being the two in charge of providing music for the party there was not a moment to talk.


Several couples remained in the center of the park, which always became the dance floor. Their numbers were fewer, but those who were still dancing didn't seem like they would ever stop. It was them that I watched for it was nice to see someone having fun.


I, who was supposed to be the very center of the party, was sitting by myself at one of the empty tables. I would have minded more if that wasn't the way I wanted to to be. Ada might have made me promise that I had to stay until the end, but there was nothing he could do if I kept to myself as much as possible. He was distracted talking to nana so I didn't have to worry about him prodding me either. The same was not true for Eloril. He came over to sit next to me for the hundredth time once his own conversation with someone else was finished.

     "You know, I don't think you could smile any harder if your tried." he teased as he took his seat.
     "You know, you're just lucky I'm managing to look half pleasant at all."
     "That's what you call half pleasant?"
     "Eloril," I said in irritation, "I know that you understand full well that I don't want to be here and why that is. I'm running out of patience for your sarcasm."
     "Sorry," he apologized, "I'm just willing to try anything if it will perk you up a bit. I mean, you essentially got the best deal you could out of ada. The worst of the party is already over. It didn't seem like anyone said anything to upset you. There's very few people left who aren't decently close to you. I do understand there's a lot of emotional pain you're still dealing with, but I can't help but to think if you push yourself a little you might be able to end this day in a better mood than you thought possible."
     "I don't get what you want me to do. I'm the not most cheerful conversationalist at the moment. What else is left?"
     "Dancing, of course! This is the first time since you were a tiny girl that I could sit down and talk to you at a party and not be interrupted by the other boys requesting a dance with you every five seconds. And you loved every moment of it."
     "I've danced today."
     "With me, ada, and Tond. We don't count."
     "In case you didn't notice, not one single soul besides you three asked."

It was already very clear how the eligible men's thoughts about me and my own eligibility and desirability had changed.

     "You can't blame them if they didn't want to dance. With that kind of face..."
     "Eloril."
     "It's true. You scared them all off. Listen, humor me for five minutes. Try to put on a smile and go ask one of these fine young men for a dance yourself."
     "It's not going to happen." I refused.
     "Fine, you stubborn silly thing," Eloril huffed, "But if someone asks you have to dance with them."
     "It's not going to happen." I repeated in a mumble.
     "Looks like you being instantly proved wrong." Eloril said with a cheeky grin.


I frowned at him in confusion. Eloril suddenly and swiftly stood up and began walking away. There was not time for me to call after him for another figure had just appeared. I looked up to see a familiar face. If it wasn't for the fact that I hadn't seen Eloril talking to Pemir all day, I would have guessed that the two had put this plan together to try and trick me. However, it seemed the unlikely coincidence was all genuine.

     "Good afternoon, Ellothiel." Pemir greeted me with a formal smile.
     "Good afternoon."
     "It is rare to see you by yourself at an occasion like this."
     "I'm afraid my downcast mood has prevented me from enjoying it like I normally would."
     "Perhaps you will allow me to cheer you up with a dance?" Pemir asked smoothly.

Even though I didn't look in his direction, I could tell Eloril was smiling at me with a smug smirk. I wanted to laugh and pout all at once.

     "I'd love to." I responded.


It was somewhat awkward dancing with Pemir. Not that there was anything awkward about him, but it had been so long since I had done the dance he began leading me in. My footsteps were uncertain until the memories began trickling back. After that, and much to my chagrin at Eloril's insight, my spirits did start to lift. Pemir and I had always shared at least once dance per party for as long back as I could remember. I had been a living relic when I was amongst the humans. It was strange being constantly reminded how young I was as an elf. To be around others my own numerical age was a curious thing.

     "Is it alright if I ask you a question that might upset you?" Pemir's request broke through my thoughts.

That put me on guard. I had been doing well with controlling myself, and now Pemir, who was supposed to be cheering me up, wanted to ask something that could set me off?

     "You may go ahead." I said anyway.

I was intrigued more than I was nervous.

     "I know you choose to remain amongst the humans until your children had passed. I just can't help wondering how long it has been since you lost your last."
     "A little over three weeks now."
     "What?"

Our dance stumbled a bit as Pemir was caught by surprise.

     "I was asking because I thought it had been a far greater time than that. You said your mood was downcast, but it seems you are downright giddy compared to how I would have otherwise considered you to be."
     "I have grown used to the grief. Being in our lands again helps me to push it away as well."


The conversation went silent after that. I quickly realized I should have given a more positive answer even if it was a lie instead of the honest one. Eloril had told me my former admirers had wanted no part in dealing with my emotional baggage. I did think for that moment that keeping to myself was best, but Pemir surprised me.

     "I'd like to hear about them."
     "What?"
     "I'd like to hear some stories about your children. The happy ones, naturally."

I stared at him. My mind was having trouble registering his words properly.

     "Is that a refusal?" Pemir asked with a slightly teasing smile when I took too long to answer.
     "Oh no, it's not. I was just stunned. No one else but Tond, who is practically family, has shown the slightest interest in hearing about anything related to them."
     "Now that is a shame. With how many children you had, I'm sure you could fill a whole book up with all the incredible, interesting, or amusing things they did."
     "Technically, I've done something very similar to that," I revealed as I finally smiled a real smile, "I'd love to share some stories."


The two of us continued to dance for several more minutes, but it eventually got to the point where taking a seat was more appropriate. I started out with one story. Many more came after it. Pemir was genuinely interested in what I could tell, and so he was a very good listener. I was the one who attempted to change the subject multiple times, but he was the one wanting to hear more. Time flew by. My mood had bettered greatly to the point where I began thinking that Eloril surely must have convinced Pemir to act like this for me. It was too much to hope that a male my age would have interest in my life on the human side of the wall, realize that that meant many things for me, and still be willing to bring it all up. It's not that I was making myself believe that thoughts of romantic longing remained within Pemir's mind though. He was being kind. He was being a friend. It hardly meant courtship or marriage with me was something he was considering.


The afternoon was late when Pemir announced that the conversation did have to be cut off. He had duties he had to attend to at his family home. I was more disappointed than I let on. To talk of good times was the best medicine for getting rid of the bad. However, I had to be thankful. Pemir's company and kind nature had turned what I had thought would be a miserable day into something worth remembering. What gave me more of a shock was that something even better was waiting for me. With Pemir gone, I had moved so I could talk with ada and nana. We had barely started chatting before suspicious grins spread across their face. Though we kept on talking about matters that would not bring up such an expression, those looks only grew more intense. Nana finally took pity on me by telling me to turn around.


Erien burst out laughing when I saw her. I had been so distracted by the conversation that I had not noticed her at all despite her being so close. I hurriedly pulled her into a hug.

     "This is incredible! Eloril told me you wouldn't be around for another week at least!" I said in amazement.
     "An utter lie," Erien explained, "The plan had actually been for me to have surprised you yesterday. Unfortunately, bad weather made us a day late. We decided to surprise you at your party instead."
     "Yesterday, today, a week from now- I'm simply glad to see you again."
     "The feeling is mutual."

It was then that some of Erien's words sunk in.

     "Who exactly did you come with?" I asked.
     "My parents."


She pointed north. Like ada and nana had distracted me from Erien's presence, Erien had distracted me from noticing that nana and ada had been quickly pulled away by Erien's parents to pursue conversations of their own. It was safe to say that Erien looked nearly identical to her mother. She had merely inherited her father's black hair instead of the red coloring of her mother.

     "Your adar looks as if he is upset." I pointed out.

Erien laughed.

     "He is always like that. Ada never fails to give off that sort of aura. He is very sweet though," she paused, "To nana and me, at least."
     "That's not very encouraging."
     "Don't worry. He'll like you just fine."


I soon got to find out whether that was a correct statement or not. Erien's mother, Milui, spotted her and I glancing in their direction. She alerted Erien's father, Taragond, who approached the both of us. Erien told me not to worry, but I couldn't help but to be nervous under the naturally stern gaze of her father. She was right in the end though. I was introduced to her parents. We chatted for a while. Though some of Taragond's words came off as stiff or cold in tone, I was able to discern that it truly was his manner of speaking and not by the intention of insult or dislike.


Eloril...was the one who got the short end of the stick. Erien's parents let Erien and I go so we could talk on our own. Milui resumed her conversation with nana, and I soon noticed that Taragond was over with my brother. I watched them for a moment before I became concerned.

     "Are you certain your adar is not upset? He appears angry with Eloril."

Erien smiled in amusement.

     "He is not angry. As you might assume, ada is protective of me. Perhaps a bit overprotective. Eloril easily clears all the expectations and requirements ada has set for courting me, but he still likes to try and rile him up to test his patience. Eloril has never fallen for it."
     "Eloril has always been very calm and level-headed."
     "Which is something I am grateful for. I'm sure if we did ever marry that ada would continue to push him. If he was one for raising his voice, we would have to deal with a headache for eternity thanks to the two of them."
     "Sounds like I should be grateful too."


When I had originally changed the plans with ada, it had been my every intention to depart from the party as soon as the sun fell below the horizon. What ended up happening was that Erien and I were still chatting away merrily even when the stars were in their full glory. Our spot was a comfortable patch of grass near some rose bushes. The two of us went over many things. I recounted the years from the time she had left from her visit until the current moment. We talked about what I felt. I learned about what she had been doing since. Then we conversed about absolute nonsense. Our rambling only grew purpose again when I brought up Eloril's suggestion about trying to change the views of our people.

     "Do you think it is a good idea? Do you think it is a hopeless one?" I queried.
    "It would be quite the challenge, but I would not call it hopeless. As for whether or not it is a good idea...I'm not really sure. Well, I think the idea is good. However, the truth is that it's probably impossible to say what choice of action will truly bring about the most positive results. We've been living peacefully here for thousands of years. The humans are clearly content to leave us alone, and our way of life has continued strongly. Provoking change could mess that all up."
     "But what will happen when it gets to the point where we run out of room? Our numbers remain small compared to how many of us used to inhabit the world, but that will change eventually."
     "And that is the other side of it. At some point, no matter how many would like to deny that it will never happen, we will have to deal with the humans in great depth someday. Perhaps it would be better to negotiate and form a relationship with their kind again when we are all in a complacent mindset instead of waiting for the day when tensions run strong."
     "With those two options, which would you pick?"

Erien went silent. She did not say anything for several minutes. I was left staring at the glittering stars while I waited for her response. When she did speak again, her voice was soft.

     "I don't think we should wait. I was understandably scared passing through the wall for the first time, but since I've returned I've never been able to shake the itch to go back. The humans have a different way of living, but different is not wrong. Not all values we hold are the same. Not all ideals we hold are the same. That does not mean we cannot understand and appreciate a different perspective."
     "I think that's a wonderful answer."

Erien blushed slightly.

     "I'm glad you think so."


And with that, the party ended on a high note. Ada nearly burst out into laughter when he came over to Erien and me to tell us it was time to go home and neither of us wanted to leave. We had no choice in the matter though. The hour had grown late. I found myself sleeping very well that night. The following morning was a quiet and lazy one. Ada and nana were having a consultation with Erien's parents about the eastern and northern lands while the rest of us were left to ourselves. I wandered around not doing much. Then I came across Eloril reading a book by the fountain. It was then that I figured that moment was the perfect one to tell him what he wanted to hear.

     "Eloril?"
     "Hmm?"
     "I was talking to Erien last night-"
     "Oh, really? I hadn't noticed," he teased sarcastically, "Thank you for hogging her."
     "But every time I looked over you were having such great fun with her adar." I countered.
     "Don't remind me." Eloril rolled his eyes, "I'd rather you continue on with whatever you were going to say."
     "A good choice. I won't waste time glorifying what I will say. I will simply say that I'm going to do what you told me you thought I should do." I revealed.

Eloril closed his book and looked up at me.

     "I wasn't expecting such a confident answer so quickly, but I won't complain. Any reason why you've come around already?"
     "It merely sunk into me that you were right. I need this world to change- for myself and for everyone else's benefit as well."
     "And that motivation is key."
     "A plan would help too. I have the drive, but absolutely no clue as to how to go about making the change. I fear plain talk will not make a difference. There has to be actual action."
     "True. We do have plenty of time to ponder over what course of action is best though. There's no hurry for us to rush. Besides, I think....I think you still need plenty more time to grieve and begin healing."
     "I think throwing myself into this will be what will help me to heal."

Eloril gave me a look.

     "I mean it. Ever since I made this decision only last night after talking to Erien, I feel stronger than I've felt for a long time. I told ada that I needed to have something to do now that I'm not a naneth anymore. This is my something to do."
     "Well, since you do feel so strongly you go right ahead and get to working out what you can do then. You can start by leaving me to my book." Eloril teased again.
     "Yes, sir." I smiled.

 I started walking away, but I had to say one more thing.

     "Eloril?"
     "Hmmmmm?"

I rolled my eyes.

     "You're going to marry her, aren't you? Erien? You wouldn't put up with Taragond like you do if that wasn't your plan."

Eloril looked taken aback, but he chuckled after a few seconds.

     "Yeah." he responded with a goofy smile.

That made me smile too. Sometime in the future, I would be getting another sister. I began making my way away again, but this time it was Eloril who stopped me. He had one important thing to say before I left.

     "Ellothiel," he spoke more seriously, "You'll always be a naneth."


Later in the day I was cooking at the wood oven when someone walked up behind me. It was Galith. It was clear by the expression on her face that she was still bothered by what had happened that first night. I continued cooking while I greeted her.

     "Good to see you." I said as cheerfully as I could manage.

There was an awkward pause.

     "Are you sure?" she asked.
     "What do you mean?"
     "Are you actually pleased to see me?"
     "I said it, didn't I?"
     "But you could just be being polite."
     "I was being honest." I affirmed.

Another silence.

     "I don't know how you could be happy to see me. What I said-"
     "Galith, I know how you feel. You told me it all when you apologized. I forgave you. Do you not remember this?"
     "I do, but perhaps you weren't being honest then."
     "I do not forgive unless I mean it.
     "Are you sure?"
     "Galith!" I laughed in amused frustration, "You silly thing, I've forgiven you! I've gotten over it and have almost completely forgotten it even happened. Now it's your turn to do the same."

Galith exhaled quietly, and once again did not speak for a time.

      "Well, alright then," her tone was more cheerful, "You have always been truthful in the past. We'll move on."
     "I'd like nothing more." I smiled.


She moved closer as she watched me cook. I had to stop myself from laughing again when her eyes narrowed in confusion as I put the finishing touches on the dough before putting my creation into the heat.

     "What exactly are you making?"
     "Pizza."
     "Come again?"
     "Pizza. It's human cuisine. It's merely flattened dough with cheese, tomato sauce, and other toppings baked onto it. I was never fond of purchasing it from cheap restaurants. It is wonderful homemade though."

Galith sniffed the air.

     "At first listen, the description of it is odd. However, I have to agree that is smells wonderful."
     "Would you like to try some when it's done?"
     "I must say that I do."


Galith and I had a fun time completing the cooking. She enjoyed holding the pan and watching the cheese melt into the dough. It felt like eternity before the pizza was cooked and cooled enough for us to eat. I sat down and instantly began chewing away. Galith nibbled at the end of her piece before taking more generous bites.

     "It is unlike anything I have tasted, but I am thoroughly enjoying this."
     "I know our people like to critique human cuisine for being unhealthy, but there are many things that they do have that are delicious and good for the body. Pizza isn't generally one of them." I giggled.
     "It's nice to see that there are positive aspects about them though."

Galith said her comment nonchalantly, but it got my mind thinking. I chewed on my pizza more earnestly.

     "Positive aspects." I said.
     "Pardon?"
     "You know, what happened between us that first night caused Eloril to come up with an idea that I latched onto."

Galith looked worried.

     "It's a good thing, I promise. I'm actually rather happy that what happened happened. Now I get to do something that's giving me a much needed burst of energy."
     "I'm glad. What is it?"
     "Eloril and I both started to feel that our isolation behind the wall has ceased to be the best thing. We've essentially made it our goal to work on creating a bridge between the humans and us."


The look of worry deepened on Galith's face.

     "You want to have the wall torn down?" she asked almost in panic.
     "Oh Goddess, no," I reassured her, "I know that will never happen. I don't think it should happen. There's walls and gates between every country that borders another. Ours is no different. I'm just saying that I think it would be beneficial for our people to learn more about the humans and for us to interact with them again. They're not the ones from the past. They're just as innocent as you and I. Their world is different from how it used to be as well. We have no reason to fear the wars happening again."
     "Honestly, I feel there is a lot of good truth to that. I did a lot of thinking after I left your room that night. Unoviel helped me to clear my mind as well. It isn't right to blame the descendants for the sins of their ancestors created thousands of years before their time."
     "Exactly." I agreed.
     "So, it's a noble idea, but how exactly are you planning on accomplishing it? My parents were born after the fighting, but yours lived through it. Horrible memories like the ones they have are not so easily forgotten. Their desire to stay away from the humans has been passed down to us. Most don't think like you, and I suppose now I, do."
     "But that doesn't mean they can't. I'm sure even those who are most adamant about wanting to have nothing to do with the humans are actually rather curious. They're simply afraid to speak up because of what others around them will think."
     "How do we make them not fear that then?"
     "We need to give them a chance to stand on their feet. We need to allow them to see how things really are for themselves- allow them to think with their own minds and make their own choices."
     "But I guess all this doesn't answer how that is actual going to happen."
     "I think...they need to experience it."

I glanced down to my slice of pizza. Having Galith eat human cuisine had gotten her to admit something she never would have admitted otherwise. It began to dawn on me that pizza and food was a fine start, but what if I took things one giant leap forward? In the end, there really was only one way to give the elves the information they needed to shift their perspective. I started eating again as I smiled widely. I hadn't thought an answer for what needed to be done would come so easily.

     "Alright. I've decided. That's what I'm going to do." I said more to myself than to my friend.
     "Um, what is that?" Galith asked in confusion.
     "I'm going to start taking groups on field trips."
     "You're still speaking in a foreign language to me, Ellothiel."
     "In human schools, field trips are where the students are taken outside the confines of the classroom to get firsthand experience with various aspects of the wider world around them.
     "So?"
     "I'll take those who are willing over the wall to spend some time with the humans."
     "That is crazy."
     "But it will work."

I munched on the remains of my pizza slice while Galith fell into silence. She stared at the table for a while. It was only when I had nothing else to do but to stare at her that she looked up at me. Galith appeared more confident than I expected.

     "It is a crazy idea. I don't know if the leaders will allow it." she warned.

The expression on her face softened.

     "But if they do, I want to be in the first group that goes."
     "You'll be the very first one out the gate." I promised excitedly.


Shortly after Galith left, Abrien appeared. It was time for our ride. I had promised her that I would try taking her out on Sulfaer. She was not afraid of him despite the fact that he vehemently rejected her like her did everyone else. It was one of her greatest dreams to go for a ride on him. She hoped that with me there he would let her get on. As it was, Abrien was right. Sulfaer showed no signs of protest as Abrien got close when I went to retrieve him. I was able to lift her onto his back without him giving the slightest flinch. I hadn't intended for our outing to be so long, but an hour passed and Abrien still begged for more. The first half hour she had spent laughing and exclaiming in excitement as Sulfaer ran. The rest of the time had been us talking while Sulfaer went slower. I revealed to my sister too about my new plan of what to do with the elves. Having remembered enough of her time in the human lands for it to have made a difference, Abrien was ecstatic at the prospect of going back.


The two of us were still talking about it when we ran into someone else also out on a ride. Pemir was a little stunned to see us as he came up over a hill. I don't know how he hadn't heard us approaching, but it had seemed as if he had been lost in his thoughts. He gave us a polite smile.

     "Afternoon, ladies."
     "Afternoon." I replied.
     "Hello!" Abrien answered brightly.
     "It looks as if that horse of yours is becoming much more agreeable. I walked a bit too close to him once, and he nearly destroyed half a fence." Pemir recounted with a mild bit of dread.
     "He has thankfully learned to behave- as long as I am around." I explained.
     "I'm glad for it. Hopefully that means you will allow me to join the two of you for a while."
     "That would be most pleasant."


We changed direction to keep the spring sun out of our eyes. The season had barely begun, but it had arrived with a passion. It also had to be said that my home was further south than Riverview, so there had been a noticeable difference in the transition from winter to spring. The breeze felt wonderful though. I didn't mind riding in silence as I let it wrap gently around me.

     "What were you two so merrily talking about?" Pemir eventually asked to break that silence.
     "We're going to get everyone to go on a field trip." Abrien explained with excitement.
     "I don't quite get what you mean."
    "I'm going to have ada send a proposal to the other leaders for me. I think it's about time the elves stopped keeping to themselves. Thus, it is my plan to take groups of small numbers through the wall so they can learn about the current day humans. That way they can decide with their own hearts if it is best if we want to form a relationship with them again." I explained better.
     "Uh, what?"
     "You can come too, if you want." Abrien offered innocently, not really sensing Pemir's mild alarm.
     "Sending that proposal might not be the wisest idea." Pemir warned me while ignoring her.
     "You think so? I'm a little disappointed," I admitted, "You so eagerly listened to my stories. I had thought the idea would have intrigued you, so I had been anticipating having your support."
     "Hearing stories is one thing. Actually being around humans is another. I can only imagine something going wrong."
     "Nothing will go wrong. I lived over there for more than five centuries. There was that one hiccup with Silas,"

I stopped myself from mentioning Eleme's own kidnapping and all the times thieves had attempted to rob my houses.

     "But the humans are not violent like they were in the past. They want to learn about us. Why would they do something to make us retreat back behind the wall when they have been waiting for forever to recreate our bond?"
     "Perhaps most will have good intentions. However, you can't fool me that there aren't mad men out there. A group of elves suddenly making an appearance will draw them to you. One wrong action by one human could cause tensions to flare up once more."
     "I suppose that's not entirely untrue..." I caved slightly.

I shrunk in my seat. I had been feeling confident, but Pemir was speaking sense as well. If everything went right, my proposal could start all of us on a better path. If something went wrong, it would be a step backwards that could most likely never be remedied. My mind started spinning again as I wondered what was really the smartest action for me to take......
2 comments on "A Proposal"
  1. Great chapter! :) I hope Ellothiel convinces the leaders and other elves to be more open-minded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to see that there is some proper dialogue going on now. But why is there more than one chapter to an epilogue? An epilogue is not its own novella. An epilogue is a one-chapter thing that wraps things up.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9