Top Social

Color My World Short Story #8 Part Five (FINAL)


Amaranth's expression had gone through a roller coaster of emotions as the story was told. Thus, I gave him a big smile as I wrapped it all up.

     "Rose made sure to visit Ethereal more often after that. She was the only one who could really connect with what Ethereal was going through, and Ethereal felt a lot better having someone who did understand. That's not to say she perked up all bright and cheerful overnight, but she did address her grief properly from then on. There was even a period of five months where she went to see a therapist."
     "I see. Thanks for telling me all this, Lia. I've been trying to get more of what Ethereal went through out of her, but, well, you obviously know how stubborn she can be," Amaranth laughed, "There's no way things could have been anything other than painful, but she's been brushing it off saying she's fine now."
     "I can understand enough why she has been brushing it off though. No one wants to think back to such tough times, and I'm sure she doesn't want to make you feel bad. Goodness knows the guilt has been written on your face thickly since you got back."
     "But worrying about me should be her last concern. Ethereal's the one who's now dealing with cancer of all things. Things like me getting upset about her and Al sharing one kiss...there's no way I would be bothered when she's had the worst of it all these years."
     "Does it bother you though?" I asked curiously.
     "No. Not at all," Amaranth denied instantly, "To be honest, despite us both saying long ago that we were the only ones for each other I never quite believed Ethereal. I'd see her with Al. It was clear she could indeed love other people. I fully expected to see her with some other guy when I came back, and I was prepared to leave her be if that was the case. The fact that she still waited for me, that the only romantic exploration she'd had was a kiss with a guy who'd already been her close friend and boyfriend- of course I could only be relieved it turned out that way."


Taking a sip of my soda, I hid my smile behind the action. Ethereal really hadn't been forthcoming with what she'd been getting up to while Amaranth was away. Once again, I could understand her thinking. It didn't mean, however, that I couldn't blab. Amaranth clearly desired the truth and wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

     "Take a seat with me, friend." I spoke while I took a chair.
     "Okay?" Amaranth acquiesced curiously.
     "Ethereal will be momentarily exasperated with me, but you asked me for the truth so that's what I'm going to tell you. It wasn't just Al. Ethereal also had a bit of a thing with one of Coal's teachers."
     "One of his teachers?" Amaranth repeated in surprise.
     "Yup. Spruce Trail. Really nice guy. He comes around often, so you'll probably meet him soon. Ethereal and him did wait until Spruce wasn't Coal's teacher though. They apparently went on some really casual dates, and they shared a kiss before realizing there just wasn't a strong enough connection between them to sustain a real relationship. The two were just friends afterwards, although Ethereal did admit to me once that the long dry spell of intimacy did cause her to want to be intimate with him from time to time. They never went for more than that kiss though like I said."
     "Ah," Amaranth nodded, the acceptance on his face coming easily like I knew it would, "That's the answer then. Ethereal has seriously been acting as if I haven't known her since I was nine. It was so obvious she was leaving something like that out that it was frustrating the hell out of me. I'm glad you told me. Now I can get it through her stubbornness that I really don't care that she did exactly what I told her she was fine to do."


My smile widened.

     "Ya know," I began mischievously, "I guess I'm not entirely done with the confessions. Ethereal thought back then that her and Al being romantic again was a bad idea, but I think if she had been healthier the past few years I would really have to be sharing him a lot with her these days."

Pausing, I took that brief moment to study Amaranth's expression. I had to give the guy credit. He seriously meant what he said that he didn't care about any comfort his wife had sought out during his disappearance. Not a lick of jealousy had flashed across his face so far.

     "Before she started spending most of her time in the hospital, there was an increasing number of nights where Al didn't come home because he was here. Ethereal needed someone nearby, not in the way Glade sharing her bed with her could provide, so Al would stay, they'd basically have a pajama party, and they'd cuddle until they fell asleep. It is a little disappointing things didn't progress further with them. Maybe Ethereal could have finally been convinced to include me in some way." I wistfully teased there at the end.
     "It still stings that we all rejected that proposition of yours, huh?" Amaranth chuckled.
     "Oh, how badly it does," I joked dramatically, "I can't help it though if you and Ethereal like it to be more vanilla. The fates have so declared it."
     "Hey, we've tried some stuff I'll have you know."
     "Uh-huh, like what?"
     "Well..." Amaranth finally squirmed in embarrassment, but he soldiered on, "Well, Ethereal had a strap-on. I quite enjoyed that."
     "Oh-ho. I suppose that is vaguely adventurous. Good for you."


Amaranth rolled his eyes and scoffed in amusement at my dismissal. However, his sound was covered up by my laughter that came about due to a certain someone sticking her head out the door right as he spoke his secret. Cerise heard his words, her face scrunched in utter disgust, and she looked positively mortified.

     "Whoops." Amaranth muttered impossibly quiet, torn before laughing as I was and shrinking away in humiliation as his daughter was.
     "Oh my god, I'm going to need a lot of therapy now." Cerise grumbled as she shook her head.
     "Adults have sex, Ceri baby. We talk about it too." I explained merrily.
     "Doesn't mean I need that image of my parents in my head."
     "D-Did you need something, honey?" Amaranth asked after taking a deep breath.
     "I was going to ask if I could get a ride to Clematis' place. I know it's far away, but-"
     "I'll take you." Amaranth agreed without hesitation.
     "Can we stop on the way to get ice cream too?"
     "Sure."

I laughed one more time. As traumatized as Cerise acted as if she was, she sure wasn't waiting to take advantage of her father embarrassing them both. The two walked out the door smiling and taking digs at the other though, and so I relaxed back in my chair letting the joy of seeing a family complete once more wash away the painful memories of the past.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9