Top Social

Gen Three- Chapter Fifteen


The smile that had been on my lips faded as he laughed.

     "You really don't remember?" Timber wondered.
     "It was kind of a stressful day," I shrugged, "I'm surprised you remember. You didn't look any more focused than I did."

We were recalling the crazy day we'd hoped to meet with Timber's mother. I'd mentioned to my friend that one of my new classmates was in the popular show Glassblown, but that I hadn't ever really seen it. That's when Timber revealed the morning before we left for the lake we'd watched nothing else.

     "I was hyper-focused because I was so stressed." Timber said too confidently.
     "I'm not sure that's something to be proud of." I teased with a laugh.
     "Maybe not," he chuckled, "Anyway, want to get me autograph? It'd be cool to have something signed by a famous person."
     "If you want something written by a famous person, I'll just give you Uncle Prism's shopping list."
     "That sounds even better." Timber went along playfully.


I shook my head but continued to smile.

     "Anyway," I spoke this time, "I know you have to leave soon, so tell me what's been interesting recently."
     "Hmm, nothing really. Given the fact that I've mostly grown up here and was only away for a year, dad and I settled back in really fast. I don't even have to deal with making new friends since mine are still here. All the rest of you guys are the ones having adventures. Tell me the fun things going on in super-fancy land."
     "Mom started looking at places to rent last night, and she and Gilly are looking at some more right now. I like Uncle Prism's house, but it is way too crowded. There's no privacy at all."
     "Well, I hope you guys can find something you like soon. Dad and I want to visit for Christmas."
     "Oh, that'd be so great! I'm missing having everyone around. Do you-"

Mr. Mountain's voice on the other end halted my words. I listened hard enough to catch that he told Timber it was time for them to go.

     "It sucks being in different time zones. I even woke up early to talk to you, but we barely chatted at all." I sighed.
     "I know. Hopefully Berrybrook will get back on its feet fast. Until then, I'll just promise to talk to you later, okay?"
     "Okay. Bye, Timber."
     "Bye, Dia."


Sliding mom's phone into her pocket as I joined her and my sister downstairs, I clutched onto mom's arm as I glanced over her shoulder.

     "What'cha find?"
     "We found this really nice place by the beach. It's super nice and move-in ready, and look at this cool balcony space in this one bedroom." Gilly gushed.
     "It's also above the price range Coal and I are shooting for," mom told her for what sounded like the dozenth time, "I only looked at it because you really wanted to see it."
     "Mommyyy," Gilly whined, shaking her arm lightly, "We're rich! Can't we just act like it for once?"
     "For the last time, all the money you think we have belongs to Amaranth. It's completely his choice to give any to us or not, and Coal doesn't like just taking it from his father because he can."
     "But look at the big spa bath you would have!" Gilly pointed out, undeterred, "I'm sure grandpa would love to live in a place like this after being stuck in broken Berrybrook for months."
     "I will add the link to the email I'm sending them, but that's all." mom compromised.
     "Show me the ones you picked out." I requested to her to give my sister less chances to mildly irritate her.
     "Sure."


Mom showed me more sensible houses, and I kept my mouth shut that I really, really wanted that fancy one too. The other places weren't bad, but they were just buildings. That house was a statement. In any case though, the excitement of picking a new place to live kept us occupied until it was time to head to school. Getting dropped off and taking the shuttle was an interesting experience. It felt a little like a road trip. I also appreciated being able to get to the middle school earlier as it allowed Gilly and I some time to wander. We saw interesting things we hadn't seen before, got to explore the second and third floors, and when we came back outside we discovered Ethereal and Ephemeral in the northern shaded sitting area.


Finding them was a coincidence, but it turned out to be good timing. I know I hadn't wanted to deal with their expectant stares all day if we missed them before class, and Gilly and I wished to tell them Uncle Prism's answer without a bunch of other people watching.

     "Good morning!"
     "Morning!"

The two greeted us as they rushed over.

     "Hello."
     "Hey."

Gilly and I greeted in return.

     "We're you able to ask your uncle about our idea?" Ephemeral got straight to the point.
     "We did." I began tentatively, too uncertain how to continue.
     "Uncle Prism appreciates how you and your parents want to honor grandma, but it's just too sensitive a topic for him. Apparently, grandma also said herself when she was alive that she didn't want her life made into a movie or story or anything like that." Gilly took over.


Ethereal and Ephemeral's eager expressions took on whole new looks as soon as Gilly said the words 'your parents' in her explanation. They weren't angry or annoyed, but they understood. They'd mentioned nothing of their parents asking Uncle Prism for their same request the previous afternoon. That we knew that they'd asked meant Uncle Prism had told us of their insistence and his multiple denials. They knew that now we knew they'd used a sneaky method to prompt the issue on once more. By the short time Gilly finished speaking, the understanding shifted into two more emotions- acceptance and defeat.

     "That's fine then. He shouldn't be bothered to do something that brings up bad memories." Ephemeral replied with an open smile.
     "Yeah, and your grandmother's my hero. I don't want to do something she was against." Ethereal added with conviction.
     "Thanks for understanding." I sighed with relief.

I felt silly for getting the idea that they'd be angry and petty over the rejection so firmly stuck in my head. Ethereal and Ephemeral clearly weren't as spoiled and demanding as my head told me they should be.


To further prove that, it was them who got us off the topic right away. They asked us how our homework had been, more about what we liked to do, and I think they were about to invite us to their house on the weekend when approaching footsteps interrupted us.

     "Oh, hey, Lu." Ethereal addressed our new arrival.
     "Hey, Ethie, Ephie. Hello...uh, Gilly and Dianthus, right?" Lupine said cheerfully.
     "Yes, we're Gilly and Dianthus Vivid. You can call me Dia though," I replied, "It's nice to meet you, Lupine."
     "You know, I was just wondering, you two wouldn't happened to be related to Prism Vivid, would you?"

Both Ethereal and Ephemeral laughed, and I know the smile I gave was to hide the growing feeling of exasperation. I couldn't tell if my sister smiled for the same reason. This was going to be a common question, huh?

     "You missed the grand reveal yesterday." Ethereal explained.
     "They are. They're his nieces." Ephemeral clarified further.
     "Oh," Lupine nodded, and then perhaps caught trepidation in my expression as he pressed on as if it was no big deal, "Okay."


Even if he'd wanted to say more, the chance wasn't there. The chime rang out to signal the need for us to make our way to our classroom. We got ready, and classes continued. I expected to see Lupine leave again, yet Mr. Earthbound never came. Lupine remained at school until all our daily learning was done.

     "Hey, Dia, do you mind if I talk to you for a minute?" he requested, coming after me in the hallway.
     "Um, sure." I accepted.
     "I'll go get my things from my locker." Gilly announced to give reason for her departure, although I noticed she walked slower than normal.
     "What is it you wanted to talk about?"
     "I didn't have to shoot anything today for Glassblown," he began as if I already knew that he had such a role, which I did, but still, "But I always still call the director during lunch to see if he's got anything to tell me. As it was, he told me of this new role they want to add, and the whole thing was crazy because I'd just met you who fit it so perfectly. I told Bronze about you, and he's suggested I bring you down for a tour and to meet with him to see if you'd be interested in the spot."
     "He's thinking about offering me a role in your TV show?" I spoke incredulously.


Lupine nodded merrily, and it took me a moment to find my voice.

     "Wow, uh, I mean, I don't know. It'd be fun to go behind the scenes, but...me acting? Gilly's always been better at it than I have. What if she comes along as well?"
     "The thing is, they're looking for the daughter of two Solid pink characters." Lupine said.
     "Couldn't she just dye her hair and wear contacts?"
     "That is a possibility, but maybe she might not want to do that. In any case, I only got permission to bring you along today. I'll have to ask Bronze to bring her along a different time."
     "Oh, you want me to come this afternoon?" I questioned.
     "Yeah, like, right now, if possible," Lupine shrugged and gave me a silly smile, "Things are so busy there's usually little notice for things like these."
     "I'd have to call my mom."
     "Of course. Here, I have my own phone. You can use it."


Mom, naturally, was quite surprised at the request I put before her. I'd never shown any interest in acting before, and for someone to be offering to consider me for a role on a show as big as Glassblown...it made her uncertain for a moment. She wanted to speak to someone more involved with the show, so the best Lupine could do was lead me to where Mr. Earthbound waited and give the phone to him. Lupine's manager comforted mom saying this afternoon would majorly be to show me a bit of what I would be getting into. Even if I chose today that I wanted the role, there would be many more proper discussions about it. And, of course, I could completely refuse if I desired to do so. Mom gave her permission then.


I rushed over to the lockers in a dazed state. Gilly stared at me with a raised eyebrow.

     "What? He ask you to marry him or something?" she teased.
     "He might have just asked me to come to his show's lot because the director is considering me for a new role on the show." I explained.
     "Considering you? How does he even know about you?" Gilly wondered.
     "Apparently, Lupine called him at lunch and the director mentioned the role. Lupine thought I fit the bill, and now his manager is going to take me there now to meet with the guy."
     "Dang, that sounds like a fun afternoon."
     "I told Lupine you're better at acting, but he said he'd have to schedule with the director to have you come in another day. You'd have to dye your hair, or at least wear a wig, and wear colored contacts too for the role though."
     "Even if I dyed my hair or wore a wig, I couldn't really change my eyebrows though, could I?" Gilly laughed, "Either way, I'm not interested in acting or being famous. To be honest, I'm kinda surprised you agreed to go."
     "I don't want to be an actress, but I figure what's the harm in checking out the opportunity? The role could be unimportant. It might be an experience to do a little something small during the time we're living here."
     "True, true," Gilly agreed, "Well, I'll bring your things home for you. Go ahead and see if you want to snag your fifteen minutes of fame."
     "Will do." I laughed, giving her a departing hug.


Mr. Earthbound showed me his super nice car waiting outside, and without further delay the three of us were off. Nervous about how to make conversation, I went ahead and admitted I didn't know much about the show. Requesting Lupine to tell me more got him talking for pretty much the whole drive. He got to get excited telling me about something he liked, I got away with doing small amounts of talking, and I did learn a whole lot about what I might be getting myself into. As we got closer to the studio, however, Lupine silenced as I attached myself to the window. On a visit long ago to Tinseltown, Uncle Prism had brought me onto one of his movie's lots. He even had mom, Gilly, and I be extras in a scene with a large crowd, although that scene ended up getting cut in the final release. I did have some experience being in such a place, but that memory was so faded everything still seemed new now. I'd been, what, four?


Lupine explained that the schedule had been changed around quite a lot for the day due to many of the actors getting a strong sickness that was going around. The rest of the crew filmed what they could, and it gave the director more free time to accomplish other tasks- like meet with me.

     "This is Medallion's office in the home." Lupine explained as he started giving me the tour.

Glassblown, now in it's fourth season, focused on a family of three. There was the father, Medallion, the mother, Sunny, and their albino son, Lucent. Medallion, a renowned glassblower, struggles with feelings of inadequacy and jealousy when his son's prodigal talents for art have him ignored in the home and in his declining work. Lucent decides to basically abandon art and learns his father's craft instead to give them a better chance to bond as he thinks Medallion resents him, and Sunny does too well at keeping up a happy front that no one notices her own emotions of failure taking her over. The title was a metaphor for something that could be so beautiful and yet be so fragile at the same time.


My eyes took in everything. People moving about moving entire walls of the sets. The great walkways high up in the ceiling as the crew set up the lighting for whatever happened next. No shooting seemed to be going on, but the area we were in wasn't overly huge. Craning my neck, I caught glimpse that at the end of the way there appeared to be a whole other section of the building. Perhaps that was where the main action went on. Lupine took me over to where Lucent's room was, and he'd just finished explaining how they typically shot in there before an orange and red guy came over with a big smile.

     "Dia, this is Bronze, the director. Bronze, this is Dianthus Vivid." Lupine introduced us.
     "Dia, is it? A real pleasure to meet you." Bronze offered me his hand.
     "A pleasure to meet you too." I spoke as we had that handshake.


Maybe it was because Bronze had to talk loud on set, but his voice boomed a smidge too much for me. It was also possible he was simply an over-enthusiastic person, which I got the feeling he was by his grand movements and energetic undertone to his speaking.

     "So, how are you liking the tour?"
     "It's really great. To tell you the truth, I haven't watched much of Glassblown," I went ahead and admitted, "But I'm really loving all the sets. It's kinda weird how cut out they look from farther away, but when you're on them they feel so real."
     "We try everything we can here to make this show successful," Bronze nodded at the praise, "Which is why it's so exciting to have you here today. Your role, I feel, will be a great asset to the story and your presence a great benefit to our team here."

My mind paused. My role? According to my understanding, I fit whatever physical requirements Bronze desired. I had been brought here so he could judge if my skills were good enough to make me worthy to be given it. Why, then, was he acting as if it was already mine?


I couldn't be ignorant about what was going on. The reason I came up with to explain my confusion could be the only answer.

     "What is the role?" I went ahead and asked.
     "A new student at Lucent's school. Her old home has become unlivable due to a natural disaster, which prompted her family to move." Bronze explained.
     "That sounds a lot like what happened to me."
     "First time actors generally have an easier time getting into the character's head when they can relate a lot to about him or her."
     "That makes sense. What else should I know about the character? Like, what's her name? What kind of things does she like to do? Who are her parents? What does her presence mean for Lucent?"
     "You're a natural, I can tell. All very good questions," Bronze praised, "But, not too much is set in stone at this point. If you'd like, you can come up with her name. What she likes to do can be up to you as well. Make her your own, and even her parents we'll alter to match. As for her part in Lucent's life, we were thinking of having her be a sort of puppy love crush for him."
     "Okay..."


The truth was seriously so obvious. This new role wasn't something predetermined that I fit. The role was being made up on the spot to accommodate me in order to lure me in as Bronze surely wanted the important Vivid name attached to his show. Specifically me as well. If the parents weren't even set, why then was it such a big deal if one of them was a different color so Gilly could fit the role too? That, naturally, was because I was Solid and she was Mixed. No matter how things were becoming equal for all types of people in the long run, there were still some hurdles to clear from the old days of color separation in the now.

     "Who's this, Bronze?"

A goldish-yellow man came over, and I instantly recognized him as the actor who played Medallion. I think his real name was Gilt or something like that. He helped make it even more clear favoritism was at work here.

     "Ah, this here is Dianthus Vivid, one of Prism's nieces and one of Lupine's new classmates. She's come down to hear about an offer we have for a new character this season." Bronze explained enthusiastically.
     "What new character?" Gilt pondered with a frown, "We've had all the roles cast for the new characters for months. Did someone drop out?"
     "No," Bronze shook his head and placed his hand on his hips confidently, "This is just one more role that came to me recently as an idea. A new classmate for Lucent, who acts as a trigger for feelings of first romance and some drama in the second half of the season. Still working out what the drama should be though."
     "Wha-" Gilt stuttered slightly, looking as if he was about to start splurting out some really vocal complaints until he saw me looking up at him, "Perhaps we should talk after the next take, Bronze. No offense to Miss Vivid here, but I think the already finished script is full enough with new things for this season. Perhaps she could be a strong opener for the fifth one instead."
     "Yes, perhaps we should talk later, Gilt." Bronze, somewhat stubbornly and lightly irritated, answered.


Lupine gave them both a look before brushing past them to finish giving me the rest of the tour. He acted noble, and for the moment I hid my suspicions towards him as well. All my efforts went into enjoying my time on set, and when Mr. Earthbound drove me home I couldn't say that I felt I shouldn't have gone. It had been a cool experience, all in all. You can be certain I was glad that Uncle Prism was home though. I gathered him and Aunt Taffy upstairs in their room as she'd also had a few small roles in various movies and television shows.

     "What's up?" Uncle Prism asked, "Want our opinion on this possible role Holly tells us you have?"
     "Sort of. I mostly just want to know how shows handle adding new characters. Can it be done last minute, or does it usually take a while?"
     "It can vary. There are reasons why new people can be added on short notice, but in general it takes time and a lot of conversations between the director, the writers, the casting office, the other actors, and so on." Aunt Taffy said.
     "That's what I thought. You see, Lupine made it sound like the role had already been made when he asked me to come, but I think he actually just called his director at lunch to tell him they could get one of Prism Vivid's relatives on the show if they made up a role for me. They told me I could basically do anything I want with her. Bronze wanted her to be a love interest for Lucent, but otherwise I could pick her name, her hobbies, her personality, and all that kind of stuff. Even the man who plays Medallion had no idea about the new role, and he seemed upset about Bronze trying to stuff it into the plot."
     "Yup, that sounds exactly like what they're trying to do to me," Uncle Prism nodded, "They just want your name and not you. If you're truly interested in what they're offering, I won't stop you, but I do want to warn you that you're better off turning them down."
     "I'm going to," I revealed with a smile, "I just wanted something small and simple. This role is too big, I don't like the reasons they want me, and I don't want to cause conflict between everyone on set."


Uncle Prism was proud of that response. He promised me a small role as an extra on his film, something he offered to Canary and Crescent with every production of his, and helped me explain the whole situation to mom afterwards. She, naturally, agreed with my decision as well. I went to school the next morning with my shoulders straight and my head held high. I could tell as soon as I saw Lupine waiting for me in the empty classroom, however, that the choice that had been obvious for me wasn't obvious in my mind.

     "I just want to say, I'm sorry about Gilt and what he said yesterday," he apologized with a practiced, perfect smile, "He's been in the business a long time, so he thinks he has more weight in certain decisions than he actually does. I know he'd actually love to have you on the show."
     "Perhaps, but I actually agree with him. I don't think the role is a good addition for this season. The character would be better off being introduced later on."
     "Well, I mean, I guess Bronze could work with that if that's what you really wanted." Lupine accepted reluctantly.
     "I suppose I don't mind one way or the other. Bronze can do what he feels is best, because it won't make a difference to me in the end. I appreciate the offer and the tour, but you should give the role to someone else. I don't want it."
     "What?" Lupine remarked, aghast and caught off guard.
     "I don't want the role."
     "Why?"


His tone quickly grew annoyed and insulted, and I realized I'd dodged a bullet.

     "It's too big for me. I wanted something small, and I also don't like the reasons the role was being made. You want me to join the show just to have my named attached, right? It was kinda obvious Bronze was forcing open a spot to accommodate me after you told him about me at lunch."
     "You have no idea what you're passing up here," Lupine suddenly went much more irate and haughty, "This is a once in a lifetime chance to instant stardom. You think you're too good to pass it up?"
     "I didn't say that at all," I replied tartly, "I just don't like being used for selfish purposes, and I don't have that much interest in acting anyway. I want to be a doctor."
     "Pfft! A doctor? Anyone can be a doctor. I'm telling you now, you're the biggest idiot on the planet if you don't take what Bronze's offering you. He and I are giving you something no one else will, and your lack of gratitude towards our generosity is appalling."


My eyes narrowed and my mouth hung slightly open. I seriously had dodged a bullet. I went to tell Lupine exactly what I thought about his generosity and what he could do with it, but superficial laughing from behind me halted my words.

     "Oh, look, Ephie. The spoiled baby is throwing a tantrum again." Ethereal mocked with an air of ease as the Chalcedony twins walked into the room.
     "Shut up!" Lupine growled.
     "He thinks he has power here, how cute," Ephemeral teased, "Listen, for the last time, Lu, just because you star on one show and your parents treat you like an angel blessed by every god imaginable, you're not some big hot shot. You can't make or break anyone. Times are changing. People are growing bored about stories focused on people like us. Once Glassblown is done, you're going to be hard-pressed to find anyone who wants you with that stuck-up attitude you have."
     "Shut up!" Lupine barked again, "I don't need to hear nonsense from losers like you who can't even get consistent roles!"
     "Better normal and nice than a lying brat like you. Even a girl who only knew you for a few hours was able to tell how slimy and underhanded your tactics are. People are going to start calling you out on it once your balls finally drop. How is that going by the way? Still have the beautiful high pitched voice of a choir boy, I see." Ethereal giggled with a frightening yet impressive blend of mock innocence and condescending mischievousness.


With a dark, infuriated scowl, Lupine stomped out of the room. I stared at his back with worry over what his anger might mean, but Ethereal patted me on the back to get me facing them again. The twins gave me encouraging smiles.

     "Don't worry about him. People tolerate him when he acts decent, but everyone knows he really is just a big baby to be ignored." Ethereal comforted.
     "Are you sure? That was a seriously angry expression. What if he tries to do something?"
     "He won't. He's too much of a chicken, and he knows he does have to maintain some sort of reputation. Even if he does try anything stupid, everyone here will be quick to call him out on it. He makes the rest of us looks bad and makes everyone think we're spoiled brats too." Ephemeral promised.
     "I see. Thanks for coming to help me by the way. I wasn't expecting him to get so rude like that, and I wasn't even going to call him out on his lie until he did."
     "It's no problem, although we know you could have handled it by yourself. It's just too fun messing with him." Ethereal laughed.
     "I can tell. You're really good at it." I chuckled along.


Another girl sat in Lupine's seat that day. Apparently, he went into the office and made a big stink about not wanting to be in Mr. Divine's class anymore. The school was hesitant, but with there being several girls from other classes clamoring to switch to the room with our popular teacher the administration called the parents of the girls and Lupine's mom and dad to make sure everything was okay. And so, what I got from that experience was some insight on how crazy the entertainment world could be and lovely distance from a boy I decided I didn't like. Lupine looked haughty and smug whenever passed each other in the hall or caught sight of the other during lunch, but he did nothing else other than that. It was easy enough to ignore him.

From there, the days began to pass. Gilly and I started to really get along with Ethereal and Ephemeral, and our new group of friends began to grow further from there. It came to be that we were doing one of two things with our afternoons- hanging out with them or heading out with mom to look at places we were contemplating renting. This went on for several weeks until mom suddenly insisted she make all the talks and visits with the realtor alone. Something was super fishy about the whole thing, and my siblings and I were shocked when the confirmation came out of nowhere.

    "You're sure?" she asked whoever she spoke to on the phone, who must have affirmed whatever mom was talking about as mom sighed but looked amused, "I should have known you would be up for this. Silly me."

After exchanging several more sentences with the mysterious person, she hung up and turned to us with a big, entertained grin.

     "It's decided. We have our new home."
2 comments on "Gen Three- Chapter Fifteen"
  1. Lmao totally saw through Lu. Glad Dia got herself out of that situation!
    The twins seem nice but I still don't trust them just yet.

    And oooh, what's going on with the new home? I bet they purchased(Permanent) one instead of renting(Temporary)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the new house!! I'm also suprise the twins turned normal so quickly after that sneaky stunt. Lupine is a real jerk. Tinsel town is super sneaky and sleazy for sure, that's not suprising. Still wondering what mischief miss Ember is up to!!!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9