Top Social

Whooo Boy...

Well...life can be fun sometimes. After three more weeks of waiting, my laptop is finally back from the repair shop. It's apparently a Frankenstein of a contraption, which, coupled with the complicated software problems Alienwares can have, led to a ridiculous amount of fiddling in order to get it working. It is working now, but...there was a miscommunication between the information I gave the shop and the information the woman who did the intake for my laptop gave the man who did the repairs. I told her it had been rebooted clean, but that after putting my files back on and running most of my games again that it was still having driver issues. Unfortunately, the way she wrote that on the intake told the repair worker that it had been rebooted clean but not that most of my stuff was on there. And so, in the craziness that it took him to makes things right, he wiped the laptop clean again. He had no idea until I went to pick it up yesterday and asked about the files when he went to show me the updates he had made. I did have the most important stuff backed up on a flash drive, my novel mostly, and he ran some sort of program throughout the night that brought back what he could. I was told the program typically didn't bring back game files though, so...

As of right now, the 100 Majesties, the Perfect Genetics challenge, and my old The Goddess' Order files are completely gone. All my custom content too. I have a copy of the Color My World save to still make that work in addition to the Vampire Coven save. I also have the .sim files for pretty much all my Sims, my Mods folder, and my Exports folder containing the .sims3pack files of my sims as a backup for the .sim files.

Pretty much what the program brought back was all the picture files, all dumped into one nice big folder for me to sort through. 13,194 pictures to be exact. A lot of it is weird stuff that was extracted as the program grabbed ALL jpeg files on my computer, so stuff like the album icons from iTunes, icon images for programs, etc.

Needless to say, I now get to redownload and reinstall all the Sims stuff AGAIN after I just finished getting it all set up, and I'm missing even more stuff than before. There is a hope that my family friend who did the first wipe might still have all the files copied, but he can be hard to get a hold of as he frequently travels. If not, well, I can rebuild 100 Majesties and possibly Perfect Genetics, but those are getting pushed to the back burner once more. I still want to shoot for a CMW comeback in October, so my focus is finding the items for that first.

And, as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a BackBlaze account XD
2 comments on "Whooo Boy..."
  1. Omg you poor thing!!!
    I hope you'll get your files back and that that would be the end of your computer problems saga XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, haha, me too.
    It'll still be a little bit before I get word if the family friend has copies. He's out of the country until the 19th, and he's out of the country in Jamaica. He says the storm isn't going to be dangerous for them where they are, but I don't know if he'll run into any delays getting back.
    Overall though, I'm working as best I can on CMW. Production is a little slow since I'm out of the habit of writing for it and it's hard not getting distracted by being able to do all the stuff again that I haven't been able to do for two months, but it's all getting done.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9