Top Social

D&D 5E Campaign Diary C #1

As a watcher of YouTube and a player of Minecraft, one of the channel systems I have been following for quite a while now is the Yogscast. I grew bored one day and decided to check out their Yogscast Live channel that hosts the videos they live stream on Twitch. The main series I was interested in was their Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition series that had been recently started called High Rollers. It didn't take me long to get hooked, and by their recommendation I got into the more well known D&D live stream called Critical Role, hosted by Geek & Sundry.

Both my sister and I expressed interest in playing ourselves, and eventually the chance opened up when my sister's friend got in contact with another friend of hers who was willing to run a game for us three and my sister's friend's two brothers. We've been playing for months over Skype, and we've even started an in-person campaign for those of us who live nearby. A third campaign has also been started on Skype for myself, the friend's second brother who runs the in-game campaign, and the DM of the original Skype campaign, which is run by my sister's friend. I thought it would be a fun and different thing to do recaps for each session for each campaign here to share in the adventure and perhaps give anyone who's interested or curious about Dungeons and Dragons a glimpse into what can happen in the game. The three campaigns will be separated by the first initial of the name of the person being the DM. Campaign C is for the original Skype game. Campaign D is for the in-game one, and Campaign R is for the second Skype run.

This first one is a little short as most of our time that evening was spent creating our characters and not actually playing.

I hope you enjoy.


     Characters:
       Lyall Blakely- Male Half Elven Fighter (Played by me)
       Bayram Tuccar- MtF Human Bard (Played by my sister)
       Bane- Female Tiefling Fighter (Played by my sister's friend)
       Blue Maelstrom- Male Dragonborn Rogue (Played by my sister's friend brother)
       Luca- Male Halfling Monk (Played by my sister's friend's second brother, DM for the in-game campaign)


     The story starts in the town of Gullcrest, a decently sized port hub. It is the hometown to Lyall and Bayram, childhood friends. It is a stormy night, and the two are at their usual place for a drink, Tony's Tavern. Joining them are their drinking buddies, Bane, Blue, and Luca. It is a typical evening for the five. Bayram performs for the other patrons, Lyall soaks in the atmosphere, Bane and Luca drink, and Blue participates in a game of cards.
     The jovial mood is interrupted when a woman, Dahlia, bursts through the doors. She claims that her husband has been attacked in their home and requests help. Our group of five along with many others in the tavern go to investigate. Dahlia explains that she was in the kitchen making tea while her husband, Mathus, was in his study. There were no strange noises, but the next thing Dahlia knew Mathus had been flung over the railing from the second floor to the first.
     The group investigates, and it is quickly understood that Dahlia is in denial about the state of her husband. He lies clearly dead on the floor, yet she refuses to believe it. Bayram comforts her and studies the body while Lyall, Bane, and Luca search the inside. Blue goes outside to look for clues there. He discovers that crates were stacked together in order to allow someone to climb up to the window of Mathus' second story window. He decides to hurriedly climb up the crates towards the open window. Lyall, inside the study with the others, instantly closes it, opens it when Blue reveals it to just be him, and closes it in his face again when the dragonborn taunts him.
     Blue is eventually let inside, and further clues are found. Scratch marks, scuff marks, and fingerprints confirm Dahlia's tale and give insight to who, or what, attacked Mathus. The mystery grows stranger when it is discovered the blood pooling out of the man is blue.
2 comments on "D&D 5E Campaign Diary C #1"
  1. my siblings both watch and enjoy Critical Role, and I like watching too, but I only watch snippets with my sister. My favourite character is Pike, but I love them all. I'm interested in starting a D&D game with some friends too, with my as the DM, but unfortunately, I don't know too much about DMing

    -nyrrat

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get the time to watch it all the way through, I definitely recommend it. The task is quite daunting because at this specific moment there's nine days worth of total content, but it's a fun ride. Pike is amazing, I agree. She had an especially great moment during Episode 71 that made me cheer :D The character I've liked from the very beginning is Percy, although I have a strong fondness for Scanlan too. I also REALLY love Gilmore, and I have a fond spot for Kynan, the poor disaster child rogue boy he is.

    For learning how to DM, I would recommend the DM Tips found on Geek and Sundry's channel. Matthew Colville's "Running the Game" series on YouTube is great as well. Roll20.net is a good place to find groups to play with and get some experience on both sides of the table.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9