Top Social

Gen Two- Chapter Thirty


My whole body froze in an instant. The most movement I could get was out of my fingers, and even twitching them had them feeling like they creaked and popped. What I saw almost made me feel nauseated as everything came at me in both slow motion and quickened speed. I didn't dare turn my head or blink, for I had had this dream many times. It wouldn't be long before my alarm went off. That's how it always worked. My mind would give me the sweetest but briefest moment of relief, and reality would snatch it away just like that.

     "Oh, my baby girl..."

His voice gushed softly, but his words echoed with a boom in my ears. That was his voice. The one I'd almost forgotten. I latched onto the sound with fervor. Dad rarely spoke in my dreams, and if he did the words were practically inaudible. I would try and strain to hear, I would try and get closer, and that's when it would all end.


My dry eyes screamed at me, forcing me to blink. I did hesitantly, and the shock pining me frozen captured me more intensely when nothing changed. He still stood right there wearing that same familiar grin he'd worn forever. Dad's eyes sparkled brightly as he backed away from Cerise to get a good look at her.

     "Except, you're not much of a baby anymore, are you?" he chuckled with a slight hint of pained sadness peaking through.
     "Nope." Cerise smiled along.
     "Can you even remember me?" dad continued as he attempted to keep the guilt at bay.
     "A little," Cerise comforted as best she could, "But most of what I do know is from home movies and stories. I know you definitely didn't have this though."

She reached up to touch the pretty freaking huge scar running straight down the left side of dad's face.

     "Ah, yes, that. We'll get to that in a bit. Honestly though, I forget it's there most of the time now. Got it quite a few years back." he explained briefly.


Mom had moved from next to dad's side to encourage me to move closer to where they were. Her efforts didn't amount to much. I managed a step or two in their direction, but that was it. Dad gently took Cerise's hand touching his cheek and held it. He smiled at her once more. Then his gaze shifted over her shoulder to lock with mine. His smile remained on his face as he slowly slid past her to approach me when it became clear my feet weren't cooperating, but that grin wasn't something he could keep up. It was all because I still couldn't do anything than stand there stiff like a board and stare. My brain went useless on me as the seconds ticked by and dad didn't vanish. The thought that he was actually in front of me had me completely bewildered. The idea that he stopped smiling because he was concerned over my lack of response or was perhaps afraid I was angry at him- the idea that he was simply a real person with his own perspective in my presence once more didn't mesh well with how I imagined the rest of my days to pass. Dad was never coming back. His disappearance would forever be a frustrating mystery. I honestly wished for a moment to return back to that reality, for it was one I knew how to deal with.


The silence stretching between us rapidly grew heavy. Dad broke it by getting his smile back for a brief moment and reaching for me.

     "Hey, Coal." he spoke softly.

My name sounded wholly foreign coming from his tongue. I'd convinced myself I'd only ever hear it being said by him by way of those home movies Cerise mentioned that I'd watched a million times. Dad was definitely worried my reception to him would be cool considering how slowly he pulled me into an embrace- as if he was waiting for me to snap and start yelling. I desperately fought with my voice to get something out. A classic 'It's about time' or 'What took you so long' or seriously anything to let him know I wasn't upset with him. However, I couldn't speak one damn word. The harder I willed myself to make the smallest of sounds, the larger the blockage in my throat bulged. It burned and choked me, and my shortening breaths quaked as my self-control departed. I could barely get my face buried against dad's shoulder before scalding hot tears escaped my closed lashes. There was no preventing the slight shaking of my shoulders or the gentlest of sobs I gasped out.

     "Oh, Coal," dad crooned, "I'm so sorry."

He pulled me as close as he could to me. I gripped onto him seeking out that comfort his arms always promised while shaking my head still buried into his shoulder. I didn't want him to apologize, for I didn't want him to be sorry. I didn't want any of us to be upset anymore. I simply craved for things to be right as they once had. That's why I had to put my emotions in their place. I could bawl like a baby later. Those swelling emotions protested for a minute to leave me crying quietly against dad's shoulder. He tenderly pet my hair and pressed a kiss against the side of my head, and I took a deep breath and managed to calm myself before long. The crying and shaking ceased, and mom blessedly slid over to nonchalantly place her handkerchief in my hand so I could make my face proper.


I didn't look anyone else but dad in the eye. Partly because I was embarrassed, and partly because I was still somewhat convinced he would simply disappear into nothingness with my next breath.

     "S-Sorry. I just..." I mumbled out now.

I tried and failed to remember the last time I'd even cried in front of dad. It had to have been when I was incredibly little. Perhaps back when Button died?

     "No, don't worry about it. It kind of...takes me back," dad chuckled softly, his thinking mirroring mine as always, "It helps me deal with the fact that you've grown up so much too. You're right on my eye level and just as tall as me, and I don't think I like that."
     "I actually think I'm a bit taller." I teased, pretending to measure the difference with my hands.
     "Ah, no. No," dad instantly denied, jokingly pressing on the top of my head as if to squish me down, "That's not allowed. Not now. Not ever."
     "Hey, careful. It takes me a long time to style my hair just right." I bantered.
     "Yes, I can see you've finally gotten those crazy locks of yours under control. Good for you," dad grinned before his expression grew more sincere, "And, along that line, Ethereal has told me you're now striving to become a police officer."
     "You're not going to start harping on me about how dangerous it is too, are you?" I whined as my shoulders drooped.
     "Not at all. I mean it- good for you. It's a difficult but wonderful job at the same time, and I'm proud that you've decided to rise to the challenge. I have full confidence in you."
     "Thanks." I accepted the compliment quietly, a tad sheepish.


Dad gave me a supportive pat on the arm. Then his gaze slid past me just like it had done with Cerise. I was already stepping towards the side before he could move in the slightest, and it felt as if he walked in slow motion when he did. Only vaguely aware before that Glade had been standing silently behind me, all the focus in the room shifted to her and dad now. I swore everyone stopped breathing it was so deathly quiet. Glade herself fidgeted and shuffled timidly. Dad knelt in front of her, hesitant as well. His lips moved several times as he tried to speak, but it was his turn to struggle with his words.

     "Hey there." he practically whispered.

Glade fidgeted harder and kept her stare on the floor.

     "Hi." she mumbled out after a long few seconds.

More silence. Dad matched my deep breath.

     "Glade?" he called to my sister kindly.

Her eyes rose incredibly slowly until she shyly met dad's eye under lowered lashes. At that, another smile appeared on dad's face.

     "Wow, I have to admit that this is a little freaky," he spoke in amusement, and Glade's confusion and curiosity had them looking at each other a bit more firmly, "Blaze told me how much you took after your mother, but I didn't imagine that he meant you looked this alike. I truly feel as if I'm looking back into the past now. Your mother was about your age when I met her for the first time too."


Glade merely nodded. She had been compared to mom countless times in her life, and it was something she was steadily growing tired of. Dad picked up on that right on cue.

     "But I know you're not your mother, and I'm incredibly happy that I have the chance to learn all about who you are," he continued to smile openly, "I'm sorry it took us this long to meet. I'm sorry I haven't been here for you. While it may be that we're still technically strangers at this point, I just want you to know, Glade, that I already care about you a great deal. Already I can't even imagine what life would be like without you."

Glade's nervousness melted away at that. An intense look of longing took over her face, and dad barely had time to open his arms to catch her before she flew into his embrace. A few more warm tears threatened to leak out from the corners of my eyes at that, but I pushed them back once more. Both dad and Glade clung onto each other with a craving intensity unlike any I'd really seen. Dad gently swayed her back and forth, and I glanced mom's way to find her watching with the biggest smile she'd worn in years. However, I got a little annoyed at that. It was clear from the redness around mom's eyes that she had been crying earlier, but her eyes were dry now. Uncle Blaze and Cerise were fine, and even Glade showed no signs of growing emotional. I had been the only one to become teary, and I mentally pouted at that.


The hug between recently united father and daughter probably would have lasted forever had there not been another looking for affection. Having forgotten about Doodle, I failed to grab him when he bolted over to dance around dad and Glade. Honestly, I was surprised it took him so long to show interest in the new addition we had to the household. Doodle definitely went after dad now though. He wedged himself in between them while pawing and sniffing at dad's pants incessantly. Glade giggled as she pulled away, and dad looked down cheerfully.

     "Is this the dog of yours I've been told about?" he asked me.
     "Yup, that's Doodle." I nodded.
     "Well, it's very nice to meet you too, Doodle," dad spoke grandly, giving my dog the petting he demanded, "It's about time we had another furry companion in the house."
     "I was actually thinking it was time to try two furry companions out." I instantly proposed.
     "One dog." mom shot me down before I could take my next breath.
     "One dog, apparently." dad repeated the command to me with a shrug.
     "Tch."

Mom had almost always had the final say on things, and it looked like she always would.


With his curiosity satisfied, Doodle went about sniffing other things when dad returned to his feet. Everyone gathered closer together, and my chest momentarily froze. In a good kind of way though. I still couldn't believe what was going on. Dad having come back relatively unharmed and him being around for good was a fact that would take me weeks to even start growing comfortable with let alone accepting. His presence in front of me then was a true enigma.

     "So, what in the world happened?" Cerise asked the important question, "Shouldn't we be talking to the police or something right now?"
     "Amaranth and I have spent most of the day at the station, actually. We've got it all sorted out on that end for the moment." Uncle Blaze revealed.
     "You three have a million questions, I'm sure," dad glanced at us kids, "But, I'd like to tell the story as few times as possible since I know I will have to tell it a million times to begin with. There's a few more people I'd like to talk to and possibly get over here before we begin the storytelling."

Oh, right. Cerise, Glade, and I did happen to have a few more siblings who needed to know what was going on.


Mom handed dad her phone, and we waited around and listened as he called the first number. Her must have put it on speakerphone as Desire's voice was easily audible to everyone in the room.

     "Mom, I'm so glad you called," she said before dad could say hello, "I have a few things I wanted to ask you, and there's something super interesting I learned about Coal today that you have to hear."
     "What's this about Coal?" dad questioned, giving me a curious look.

I was already diving forwards to get myself closer to the phone.

     "Desi, you big blabbermouth, don't you say a single word or else I'm never bringing Doodle over for another visit ever!" I warned.
     "Now now, Coal. I would very much like to hear what your sister has to say." mom joined in with a raised brow.
     "It's totally unimportant! Don't-need-to-know information!" I declared, frowning at Uncle Blaze who was smirking something awful as he had quickly caught on.
     "I think it sounds-" mom started.
     "Hang on, you guys," Desire interrupted, her words shaking, "Whose voice was that?"

We all sobered up upon hearing that. Mom and I went quiet.

     "It's me." dad answered.
     "Me?" Desire responded slowly.

It was obvious she knew the answer, but she was having a hard time believing it just like I was.

     "Your dad." dad clarified resolutely.


Total silence took over the room once more. Nothing came from Desire's end until a familiar voice on her side of the call said something we could just about hear but couldn't understand.

     "Are you with someone else?" dad wondered.
     "That, um...that's Jasper. He's my boyfriend." Desire told him softly, her voice shaking more than before.
     "Are you two out on a date? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."
     "What are you talking about? You've apparently returned after being missing for ten years! It could be our wedding day, and you still wouldn't be interrupting!" Desire exclaimed, laughing in total exasperation, "But, to answer your question, no. Jasper and I aren't out on a date. We live together."
     "Oh."

I forced down a massive smile. The contained disapproval in that one syllable was hilarious, and Glade made it even better.

     "She's going to have a baby too!" she revealed excitedly.
     "What? You're pregnant?!" dad reacted in shock before pouting at mom, "She can't be pregnant. She's not allowed to be pregnant. She's only twenty-three!"
     "Amaranth, I was twenty-three when I had Prism and Desire themselves," mom shook her head at him in amusement, "And you were only twenty-two."
     "Yeah, but that's different." dad kept right on pouting.
     "Hardly." mom scoffed.
     "We can talk about it more when I get over there. You are at home from what it sounds like, right?" Desire jumped back into the conversation.
     "Yes." dad confirmed.
     "I'll be right over."


The two spoke several more words, including some 'I love You's, before the call was ended. Then dad became confused after seemingly scrolling through more of mom's contacts.

     "Do you not have Prism's number?" he asked.
     "Oh, whoops. His previous number got leaked, so he had to change it. He gave it to me, but I forgot to add it back in."
     "Here, I have it in mine. You might not get him though. This is usually his busiest part of the day." I relayed, handing over my phone now.

I truly expected the call to ring and ring. I was surprised when Prism picked up almost instantly, and I was annoyed when I heard what came out of his mouth.

     "Ok, Coal, no- this is not fair," he started quickly before dad could say a word, exactly like his twin, "Desi told me your little secret, and I'm not okay with the fact that you beat me to it."
     "It's not my fault you're slow as shit," I sighed exasperatedly, having no choice but to get close to the phone again, "And don't you say a single word about this! Not to mom, not to anyone ever, and certainly not now!"
     "I'm really curious though. I want to know what you've gotten up to since both Pris and Desi have reacted like this." dad teased.


I threw my hands in the air in frustration. You can bet there were a hundred things I wanted to say, but I remained silent as I knew what would happen now that dad had spoken. No response came from Prism for the longest time. However, he caught on faster than Desire.

     "Dad?" he questioned incredulously, absolutely stunned.
     "It's me," dad answered, "I'm, um, I'm not dead. I've...been able to come back home."
     "Holy shit," Prism whispered, "What? How did...what happen- ugh, no, I want to hear about this in person. Damn it, of course I'm on the other side of the country. Don't worry. I'm going to book a flight right now. I can be there tomorrow morning."
     "There's no need to rush yourself faster than you can handle. I've heard you've gone the route of a director. There's a lot of responsibility in that, I'm sure."
     "Eh, not for this new project. It's become incredibly obvious the main director only asked me to join because he wants my name attached to the film. I'm not allowed to do anything significant, and if I try to he yells at me. I was already thinking of bailing anyway- like half of the crew already has. The whole things is a joke, honestly."
     "That's unfortunate, but it sounds like you're making the right choice for yourself. We'll be looking for you whenever you can get here."


Doodle needed to be let outside, and so the rest of us meandered about for a few minutes while dad and Prism continued to talk. Nothing else could happen until Desire and Wisp showed up. All of us standing around dad creeping in on his conversation wouldn't do any of us good. Although, I have to admit I eavesdropped a bit. Like I expected, Desire had wasted no time telling her twin about my experiences with Candy. I listened in on every laugh of dad's or anything that sounded surprised, for I tried to discern if it could be the moment where Prism spilled my secret. It was safe to say when the call was ended that I was in the clear for now as dad didn't say anything about it like I knew he would if he had been told.

Curious about why dad didn't get in touch with Wisp next, Uncle Blaze revealed Wisp had already been called shortly before Cerise, Glade, and I arrived home. Wisp walked through the front door after that bit of information was given, and another long hug was shared between father and child.

     "I knew you would all be growing up without me, but it was impossible for me to imagine you as anything other than how I'd last seen you. However, you've already got a wife and your first child, huh? I can't wait to meet them both. It's crazy enough being told I have six children, but now I'm a grandfather too. The pressure is on." dad said in amazement.
     "I'm sure you'll be a great one," Wisp comforted, "Riny is already in love with you without even having met you. She started bouncing off the walls upon learning she has another grandpa. Paya's going to have her hands quite full until she settles down."
     "We can get them over here as soon as I talk to you all. Truth be told, it really shouldn't take that long."

My ears perked up, for dad's voice softened immensely as he ended his sentence. I had a difficult time keeping my questions at bay.


Thankfully, Desire showed up in record time. I gave a friendly wave to Jasper, who had dropped her off in his car, before he took off to allow us our family time. Desire barreled into dad so hard she nearly knocked him over with her embrace. She also cried too, which made me feel better. The two of them snuck a bit more talking in. It mostly revolved around Desire being pregnant. Dad remained mostly teasing with his fatherly protectiveness, although I could sense he was relieved when he saw she clearly wasn't far along at all yet. Quite a few questions were also asked about Jasper. I began to wonder if dad's arrival could also be a good thing for my sister's relationship- mostly in regards to Desire being tormented by her potential in-laws. As soon as dad got word of their Solid preference tendencies, he wouldn't hesitate to put a stop to it. He was a rather intimidating figure now too what with that scar and all.


How he got it would soon be told. His stare caught mine, and he cut off his conversation with my sister knowing the truth could not be delayed any longer. We piled onto the couches, me having to stand since there weren't enough seats, while dad and Uncle Blaze stood in front. The two glanced back and forth at each other as they tried to figure out where to start.

     "The beginning is the very best place, I suppose." Uncle Blaze suggested.
     "That's the only way it's going to make the most sense, yes." dad agreed.

He opened his mouth, but one more deep breath was required. All of our eyes on him waiting expectantly for an explanation turned him nervous once again.

     "I got to Peppy's and bought the ice cream with no problems. I was even able to get everyone their preferred flavor," he began, motioning with his hands more grandly than he should have- a common habit of his when he had butterflies in his stomach, "Everything seemed fine until I was almost at the car. A man appeared behind me from nowhere; a gun was being expertly and stealthily held against my back. He told me not to raise an alarm and directed me where to go. As I was led into the woods nearby, I thought it was a simple robbery. Most everyone who knows of our family knows we have a lot of money. However, there were two more people waiting for me in the grove. They both wore masks, gloves, long sleeves, and bulky clothes. I couldn't tell you if they were male or female, let alone their colors or appearances. The way they spoke to me next, well, it gave me the impression they had something to do with The Company."


Serious expressions fell upon Wisp, Desire, Cerise, and Glade at the last two words. My expressions turned serious too, but because I was now suspicious.

     "I tried to talk with them, but they almost instantly tried to knock me out," dad continued, "I fought back, but there was little I could do. One of the people in the masks hit me so hard in the head with something, I think a baton of some sort, that I became unconscious. What happened next, how they got me out of the grove and moved without anyone seeing- I have no explanation. The next thing I remember is waking up in what turned out to be a nicely furnished prison. It was a like a hotel room. There was a decent bed, a bathroom, a desk, a television, and a bookcase. However, there was only one small window high up on the wall. There was nothing of note that could be seen out of it, and the door was heavily locked. I had nothing to do but wait in that room for quite some time. Then Buckeye showed up."

Dad's face narrowed in anger.

     "He's the one who gave me this," he traced his scar, "I don't know what his problem was, but he seemed to have some serious issue with our family. When he came in the first time, he told me there were a lot of sins to pay for. I quickly learned he was called a 'manager', one of the high positions of power- at least for the place I was kept."
     "And where were you kept?" Glade wondered.
     "I can't tell you all that much about it, for I never saw more than the same exact thing every single day." dad sighed.


He paused and collected his thoughts.

     "I was kept in that room every second I wasn't working. The job they had me doing was nothing other than moving boxes around in this big warehouse area they had. I was never given the slightest answer as to what was in the boxes, where they were going, or what the building I was in actually functioned as. I didn't dare ask questions. Buckeye had a penchant for being aggressive as well as violent if provoked. Sometimes, he was violent even if he wasn't provoked," he revealed bitterly, "Most of the time though, he purposely wound me up so he had a reason to hurt me. One time he pushed me to where I tried to hit him, and that was what got me a knife to the face. The attack very nearly blinded me. That was about six years ago now."

Dad stopped speaking abruptly, leaving us to stare at him in confusion.

     "And?" Cerise prompted.
     "And, well, that's pretty much all I have for you. There's not much else for me to say except that I knew I would come home someday. Buckeye said I would be sent home once he felt I had been punished enough. So, I worked and I waited for ten years. Then this morning Buckeye came into my room to knock me out, and I woke up not too far from Peppy's, actually. I was brought to the police, Blaze was called down to help sort things out with them, and I was allowed to come home about two hours ago."
     "But why were you the one taken? Why not mom, or Wisp, or Uncle Eden?" Cerise asked in dissatisfaction, "Was it really The Company behind all of it? Why would they bother just holding you hostage for ten years instead of killing you? What did they gain by keeping you away?"
     "I don't...I know it's frustrating, but I don't have any answers. I wasn't told anything. I would give anything to understand this situation, but even the police admitted there was little they could do now. Our family was toyed with, and it was done so effectively we can't strike back. However, I can accept that. Trying to get revenge will clearly do nothing but bring more pain upon us as we're up against a force that renders us powerless. All we can do is focus on making our family happy once more now that we're together again."

Cerise sank back into her chair, frowning but accepting the answer. Wisp, Desire, and Glade motioned their reluctant acceptance too.


I, on the other hand, knew dad was a goddamn fucking liar. Not that I could blame him for it, nor my siblings for not being more suspicious of the explanation that made it impossible to take further action. I had knowledge they didn't. To me, I understood dad's words were the words he was told to say either by this Buckeye or someone else. The words he had to say in exchange to be released. He would be free, and the police would be unable to take retribution. It was a solution for everyone.

I couldn't stop myself from being curious though. I thought about what the real truth was during the whole afternoon that passed by slowly. Papaya brought Tangerine over, and Tangerine would not let go of her new grandfather. Dad had a difficult time balancing her, Cerise, and Glade who all scrambled to hold his hand and cling onto him as he was moved about the house being showed everything that had changed and being told stories to get to know the grown up us. I asked Desire if she was going to call for Jasper to come back over, but she thought it would be better to save the whole protective and slightly disapproving father meets the sudden boyfriend who's gotten his daughter pregnant scenario for another time. I laughed and agreed that was a meeting better saved for another time as well.

My curiosity peaked after dinner. Wisp left for home with Papaya and Tangerine, Desire left too, and mom forced Cerise and Glade away from dad in order to do their homework. That left me to do most of the work in bringing down dad's things from where we stored them in the attic as Uncle Blaze's bad ankle wouldn't hold up and mom and dad couldn't keep their hands off each other now that they had some slight alone time. It was nothing ridiculous. Just a lot of cute kissing and hugging. I barely paid attention to it, because now that it was just the four of us alone in the master bedroom my longing glances of wanting to know more took over. I thought I was being subtle, but Uncle Blaze read me like a book.

     "Remember your promise." he reminded me.


His warning was quiet, and it was clear he was banking on mom and dad not paying attention since they were so involved with each other given how he looked away nonchalantly when dad immediately turned his head towards us.

     "What promise is this? Does it have something to do with what Pris and Desi were on about earlier?" dad asked.
     "No, and please don't bring that up again. It's seriously nothing."
     "Well, I don't like you having all these secrets. You have to tell me one or the other." dad bargained mischievously.

I couldn't make up my mind. I figured telling him and mom about Candy and me was the safer option, but it was actually the one I least wanted to say. In the end, Uncle Blaze made my choice for me, and it was for the best that we got it out of the way quickly.

     "He knows that you were leaving a large part out of your explanation earlier," he revealed, "Coal accidentally heard Ethereal and I talking once about your sneaking around for information and that this whole mess was because of another group besides The Company. He also knows you and I were helping Eden with Ethereal's problem growing up, and even that we directly helped her escape when they had her captured."

Dad instantly hung his head in his hand and sighed massively.

     "I wanted to end this nonsense with me," he mumbled softly to himself before giving me a stern stare, "Coal, I'm not kidding. Don't you dare have anything further to do with any of this underground group business. I will lock you in your room forever if you even think about it."
     "That's what the promise Uncle Blaze is talking about is- that I wouldn't have anything to do with it. And I haven't. Besides asking Uncle Blaze how he really 'broke' his bad ankle, I haven't bothered asking a single question since elementary school."
     "Good." dad nodded firmly, folding his arms.


When all the boxes were brought down, Uncle Blaze and I were effectively kicked out of the room. The timing was perfect, because my phone began buzzing like crazy. Word was starting to get around somehow that dad had returned. Rosemary was the first to contact me, and that made me think she'd spread the word as Uncle Eden and his part of our family had also been told the information. Then I had to juggle phone calls and texts from all of my friends. So engrossed in trying to keep up, I didn't notice when Glade knocked on my door after I changed into my sleepwear. She had to peak her head in in order to invite me to spend the night in her room.

     "I was going to stay with mom like I normally do when she's home, but she told me I had to sleep in my own bed tonight." Glade pouted.
     "I'd be shocked if she didn't, and I don't know why you bothered trying in the first place. Of course she's going to want that alone time with dad," I shook my head, "And, anyway, don't you think you're finally getting a little too old to have to have someone sleeping next to you?"
     "I don't have to, I just like it better. If someone is willing to say yes, why not go for it?" Glade reasoned.
     "I suppose." I shrugged.


It didn't take me long to see if I didn't turn my phone off fully that I would never get any sleep. I texted my friends I was going to bed for the night before taking my spot next to my sister.

     "Do you think they're going to have sex?" Glade wondered the second I was settled.

There's no way I couldn't burst out laughing at that.

     "Mom and dad? Maybe," I answered through my chuckles, "It'd probably be what I would do if I was reunited with my long lost spouse, but mom only just got out of the hospital today. She's horribly self-conscious of how thin she's become too, and she's not supposed to be doing any strenuous activities. Who knows what she'll feel it's best to do on such short notice. I'm gonna bet dad's pretty exhausted as well. Honestly though, I'm not even going to try and think about it. I will tell you instead that I don't want to hear the word 'sex' coming out of your mouth for a good many years yet."
     "Why not?" Glade asked impishly.
     "Because you're too young."
     "I'm almost ten." she boasted.
     "Exactly what I said. Too young." I teased.

Glade wasn't going to have that. She leapt at me to start a play wrestle session. I could have won easily, but I thought it'd be better to tire her out. Otherwise, Glade would keep me up with her habit of constantly talking no matter how many times she was told to stop.


Even I got exhausted from the fake fighting. Both Glade and I fell asleep with no problems, and we were awoken by loud laughing coming from downstairs. Prism must have arrived at some point in the early morning, because it wasn't that late when we got up. He and dad were chatting away and goofing off while mom worked behind them on breakfast.

     "Prism!" Glade gushed, rushing over to squeeze him tightly.

I took advantage of him being distracted to crush him in an even tighter hug that had him coughing before temporarily stealing his glasses.

     "Careful, I'm going to have lots of time to seek retribution." he warned, snatching his spectacles back and returning them to his face.
     "And just how long will you be gracing us with your presence?" I questioned grandly.
     "Definitely long enough to drive you crazy, you smirky little imp," Prism grandly folded his arms and grinned mischievously, "Apparently, the main director didn't think wanting to see my dad who had returned after being missing for ten years was an acceptable reason to leave the shoot. He told me he was bumping me down in position. I told him I was quitting. Considering all that's going on, I feel like now is a good time to take a break from work and laze about at the good old family home."
     "Anyone who's not going to school or who's not working has to help with the meals." mom called to him.
     "You say that like it's a punishment. That means I get to sneak all the yummy batters and stuff." Prism pointed out.
     "On second thought, you just stay over there." mom changed her mind in a flash.

Prism shrugged, and we all laughed.


It was a morning filled with laughter. It was also a morning filled with predicaments. Even our big house didn't have enough seats for our full family at the dining table, for Wisp and Desire came back over. Since Doodle obnoxiously danced at my feet like normal, I took to being the one to stand once again to keep him out of the way of everyone else. The conversation was never-ending. Everyone wanted to tell and share stories. It was next to impossible to get a word in as someone would start right up as soon as there was the slightest pause. That was how I preferred it though. My chest soared at the thought that the days to come were all going to be this happy and lively. For the first time in ten years, everything was right.


A big day was planned. Word about dad being home had spread like wildfire. Dad and Uncle Allium had seriously waved at each other like goofballs from their houses' respective front windows. I knew Holly and Mimosa were driving down for the weekend because of Plum's birthday, and I quickly got texts from Midas, Azure, and Rosemary saying they would try to come over sometime soon. Those of us who could be in Berrybrook were all scheduled to meet at the city park like we had met that day so long ago. Breakfast was devoured and cleaned up, and we would have a short break before it was time to leave. However, mom suddenly called for us to gather around her in the kitchen. Something about her expression didn't sit right with me.

     "I have something I need to say. I've been debating since yesterday afternoon about when would be the right time to share it. I was going to leave it until later tonight as I wanted everyone to enjoy this day without worries. However, if I don't get it out now I think I'll lose my resolve."

Mom's voice grew deathly silent as she finished her sentence. It dawned on me that I had forgotten she would be hearing from her doctor the results of the huge amounts of testing they had done, and I rapidly grew absolutely terrified.


My worry was mirrored on the face of everyone else in the room, except for Glade. Still young enough to not be able to catch on quickly like us, she looked thoroughly confused instead.

     "Before my doctor sent me home yesterday, he and I had a long talk about what the tests we took showed us," mom continued in a grave tone, confirming our fears, "It...well, we had hoped we would find a solution to fix my constant poor state of health. We discovered the reason behind the problems, but it wasn't the answer we wanted. I'm doing better, but it's only a temporary better. I'm still incredibly sick. I'll be getting much worse soon too. My doctor let me have this weekend at home, but he wants me back in the hospital first thing Monday morning to begin my treatment."
     "Treatment for what?" Uncle Blaze asked, his voice rough, reluctant, and forced.

Mom's shoulder shook as she inhaled. Her arm wrapped firmly around her abdomen, her unblinking stare transfixed on the floor, and her voice became haunted and somber.

     "Lung cancer..."
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9