Top Social

Gen Two- Chapter Seventeen


I cursed Uncle Eden. He was one of those obnoxious types of people who could get up early in the morning and be super happy for some reason. This had led to him refusing to let mom sleep in most of the time, which had trained her to be able to tolerate mornings more than the average person as well. That, in turn, meant that mom also refused to let us sleep in too. She had poked and prodded me until I was forced to rise even though I stayed up late to do a good portion of my homework exactly like she asked me. I had no choice but to get dressed, but mom was thankfully content to leave me alone after that. I'm sure she thought I would go about my day, but what I actually did was pop downstairs to grab an apple to fool her into thinking I was moving about when in reality I placed the apple on my nightstand before collapsing right back onto my bed. Sleep didn't take long to find me. Annoyance found me quickly too though when ten minutes later my phone ran incessantly. I sent the call to voicemail at first, but the person called again. And then a third time.

     "Yes?" I asked with a sickeningly sweet voice at whoever was there when I picked up on the fourth call.
     "Oh, good, I got you," Mimosa answered brightly, completely oblivious to my sarcastic friendliness, "I was wondering, Coal, are you busy?"
     "Since it's 8:30 on a Saturday morning, not really." I responded.

I did try to hide the tired taunting in my voice as much as possible since I knew Mimosa certainly wasn't attempting to be bothersome on purpose, but my exhaustion caused a hint of it to slip through.

     "Great!" she exclaimed, still oblivious, "Would you be interested in meeting up with me soon then?"


Even Mimosa couldn't ignore the loud groan I wanted to do, so I released that noise inside my head instead. Then I took a deep breath and sat up. Honestly, it wouldn't be much longer until mom grew wise to my ruse. She would come in to actually get me up anyway, so I suppose getting up on my own and choosing to do what I wanted before she decided to give me work or something was the better option.

     "What do you have in mind?" I asked Mimosa.
     "It's a surprise!"
     "Nope, I'm not doing any surprises. Don't you remember your last one? It was horrible. I got stuck wandering about in the rain with a broken umbrella for an hour because you forgot your phone after you refused to give me proper directions or even a destination before I left."
     "Hmmm, fine," Mimosa pouted, "How about if I tell you to meet me at the Arboretum Park in about half an hour then?"
     "Does this have anything to do with that fairy man you were telling me about yesterday?"
     "Shhh! Don't say anything more! Just tell me if you're coming!" Mimosa reacted defensively.

I smiled at that. She was so obvious.

     "I'll come." I agreed.


I got up right away to find some dip for my apple and get more of a proper breakfast before I left. I gobbled down whatever I could find, and I stood up as I ate considering I didn't have too much time. The drive to the park took twenty minutes, so I only had ten minutes to get business done. Cerise didn't help me move things along.

     "So, Glade and I were thinking of going to see that new ice show starting at the rink." she randomly said as I was throwing my dishes in the dishwasher.
     "Okay?" I said in slight confusion.
     "The earliest showing starts at 10:30. That would be the best one to go to avoid a huge crowd."
     "Okay?" I repeated, even more perplexed, "Have fun?"
     "No, you goof!" Cerise reprimanded me, "What I mean is we're going to have to leave around 9:30 to get tickets for good seats."
     "We? Yeah, no, sorry, Ceri, but I'm not taking you. I've already got plans." I declined.
     "What?" she frowned intensely.
     "Mimosa already called me, and I'm about to leave right now to meet her. I have no idea how long we'll be out, but then I'm meeting up with Azure in the afternoon anyway."
     "But we can't get to the stadium or get tickets without someone older tagging along!" Cerise whined.
     "Then you shouldn't have waited until the last second to ask." I shrugged.

Cerise's pouting mouth hung open as I walked away without another word. I wasn't interested in dealing with her trying to weasel me into taking them.

     "Maybe we can go see if Aunt Deny will take us since mommy said she's busy too." I heard Glade suggest while heading upstairs to collect my wallet and keys.


The drive into the city was nice. There were few cars on the road thanks to the relatively earlier hour, and by extension I was able to even get a spot at a free parking lot normally filled to the brim every second of every day. It was further away from the park than I wanted, but it was worth it to not have to pay those couple dollars. I jogged most of the way towards the arboretum in order to make it on time. It was a newer lot the city constructed to add a bit more green to the small concrete jungle that was Berrybrook. The remnants of an old bank lot were now covered with a thick layer of cozy grass and encased in a border of hedges and trees. Since it was near the river and decorated with fancy fountains and the like, it had become a popular destination for dates and family picnics.


Mimosa was already there and waiting for me when I crossed the street and reached the entrance. She was suspiciously fixing her hair and smoothing her dress before she was aware that I arrived. The way she stood and the way she smiled at me when we locked eyes gave me the impression there was indeed something more to this than us hanging out. However, I wasn't sure if that was indeed because she seriously wanted me to meet a fairy man or if there was another reason. I chose to be direct to avoid headaches.

     "So, it looks like it's just the two of us?" I said in lieu of a greeting, glancing this way and that and spotting no one else.
     "It's not supposed to be..." Mimosa said with a frown, "But, you know, that's okay. This can still be a lot of fun!"
     "Were you really going to try to introduce me to that 'fairy' you met?" I had to ask.
     "I called him and he said he was fine coming here, although he seemed a little more nervous when I mentioned you'd be coming as well. I think he just doesn't want to expose his secret to too many people.
     "Uh-huh." I said dryly.

My mood had turned somewhat somber and definitely more serious. Now I was glad I hadn't backed out of choosing to come, otherwise Mimosa could have possibly been alone with some random man she met yesterday who she had also apparently exchanged phone numbers with. A normal person would be able to see how rather dangerous that was, but as Mimosa grew older she became less and less normal. Her issues weren't as apparent when she was a child, but now she was turning out to be a child stuck in a body that didn't match her. While she did attend a few classes with the rest of us, now she spent most of her time at school in specialized classes because she had stopped being able to deal with the faster pacing and harder concepts. She still trusted people too easily, and she often wasn't able to work out the consequences of her actions. I didn't doubt the man had grown nervous when he heard I was coming because dealing with an able bodied, able minded almost grown teenage boy didn't fit well with whatever motives he had. It's wasn't a mystery why he wasn't showing up.

     "Mimosa, I really don't think you should meet this man again unless you have someone with you. Fairies are known to be incredible tricksters," I played along, hoping the warning would resonate with her better, "Maybe he is a nice one, but until you get to know a person better you shouldn't be willing to meet with them alone or hand over your phone number so easily."
     "Well, I guess that does make sense." she agreed.


I made a mental note to tell Uncle Al and Aunt Dahlia about the situation in more depth later. They could give Mimosa a more proper talking to, and perhaps there could be a little investigation done about this 'fairy man' just to see if there was anything suspicious about him. Besides making that note though, I didn't push the matter anymore. There was no reason to freak out about what-ifs and potential dangers since there was clearly nothing to worry about with Mimosa and I together.

     "Maybe Mr. Fairy is a trickster, but he did teach me how to read a moondial!" Mimosa perked right back up, grabbing my hand and dragging me over to one of the structures nearby, "These are extra special ones that can help tell your fortune through your astrology sign."
     "Ah, right. Astrology. Dad always said there was nothing more delightful than getting insight from its devout followers claiming to know the stars better than he could."
     "I'm glad he could get a lot of help." Mimosa said cheerfully.

Once again, she totally missed my sarcasm. Dad thought astrology was generally harmless, but he had a few horror stories of absolute pests who constantly bothered him about how he was wasting his research by actually studying the cosmos and not using it to predict future catastrophes of mankind's moral collapse so he could warn us of them and the like.

     "What does the dial tell you?" I encouraged Mimosa anyway.
     "I think," she mumbled, bending over and tilting this way and that to decipher however she had been taught what the sphere of glass and its stand's markings revealed, "If I'm right, I should have good luck making a new friend today."
     "That's always nice. What about me?"
     "Umm..."

Mimosa tried, but her 'fairy' friend hadn't instructed her enough for her to read me my fortune. That made her despondent, but she became happy again when I said it was fun enough just to talk to her.


So, that's what we decided to do. Mimosa pulled out a bag full of homemade cookies for us to eat, and the two of us took up a comfy seat on the grass by one of the fountains. We talked as usual while we snacked.

     "Hey, Coal?"
     "Hmm?"
     "Have you thought more about what you want to do when you're done with high school?" Mimosa wondered.
     "Like, in terms of college? Or of a career?"
     "Both, I suppose."
     "I still...really don't have a single clue," I laughed sheepishly, scratching the back of my head, "The things I like to do- I don't know if I could turn them into careers. Looking at typical job choices isn't inspiring me either, which means college is just as much a mystery."
     "I'm like you then," Mimosa giggled, "I'd love to do what your mom does. Stay at home and stuff. I know she has her translating work, but I don't think I'd ever be capable of learning another language. Normal jobs like you said don't anything for me either."
     "Well, you are superb at making sweets. Maybe instead of being a for-hire translator, be a for-hire baker for weddings and birthdays and such. Uncle Sap could probably connect you up with hundreds of people who need a one time helping of deliciousness." I proposed, popping another cookie into my mouth.
     "That's actually a rather interesting idea. I don't think I'd want to open my own shop, and I don't want to work for someone who tells me what to make or how to make it. Your idea sounds like a good middle ground."
     "Right? It's basically what Wisp does, but with food."


Mimosa nodded and beamed at me.

     "I'll look into it then and see what Uncle Sap thinks," she said enthusiastically before getting a wistful glint in her eye, "Thanks, Coal. You're know me pretty well, huh?"
     "I would hope so. Otherwise, I'd be a pretty crummy friend given that I've known you my whole life." I laughed.
     "Yeah."

The word came out slowly, and it struck me as curious. I expected something out of the ordinary to come out of her mouth next, but Mimosa went on to ask me a much more loaded question that I wasn't prepared to handle.

     "Hey, Coal?" she repeated, "Can you answer this honestly? Do you think I'm pretty?"
     "Uhh...l-like, as in p-phsyical- um, do you mean as in do I find you p-pretty?" I stuttered horribly.
     "Just, do you think I'm pretty?" Mimosa giggled again.
     "Okay. So, um," I coughed hesitantly, "I'll simply speak from an objective, friendly male interested in females position then. Yes, you are pretty. You have a very pleasing...everything, I guess. Face, complexion, body type, voice, personality- there's nothing to complain about."
     "What about Holly and me? Who do you think is better looking?"
     "You're identical twins!" I laughed once more, trying to hide my nerves as Mimosa's well known eternal infatuation with me made it hard to read the moment.
     "We have to be different in some ways though." Mimosa pressed, determined.
     "I mean, you two have different styles if that's what you're getting at. She's got that more chic, mature vibe going on while you have this cute, adorable aura about you. Both are good in their own way."
     "I see."

That same slow, calculating way she spoke that only confused me more.


I didn't know if I should be thankful about it, but Mimosa didn't leave me guessing for long. She took a deep breath before slipping her hands in mine and pulling me up to my feet without a word. The way she looked at me made me feel a tad awkward. A decent idea of what might be going on grew larger with every second that passed.

     "Besides introducing you to Mr. Fairy, there was also another reason I wanted to meet with you." Mimosa started.
     "Y-yeah?"
     "You went to homecoming with Midas and Azure last year, but I was wondering if you would go with me this year instead?"


I instantly retracted my hands out of hers, but Mimosa continued to beam her hopeful smile at me. I had always dreaded a moment like this. Something similar to this had happened last year too, but I had already made my plans with Midas and Azure. Turning Mimosa down had been easy then.

     "I don't mind hanging out with you there, as a friend and stuff, yeah." I responded uncertainly, pitifully dancing around the problem in a delusion Mimosa would just go along with it.
     "No, I didn't mean it like that," she clarified, thinking I was genuinely confused, "I meant did you want to come with me as my actual date?"
     "I-I, um," I stuttered again, "You know, Mimosa, I don't want to be pushy about it, but do you remember all the times I've told you over the years that we're friends? Friends. People who like each other platonically. That's what I feel towards you, anyway."
     "I know, but you did just say that you thought I was pretty. You might find that your feelings can change." Mimosa encouraged optimistically.
     "I did say that, but..."


Mimosa simply smiled and smiled at me no matter how long I tried to get it to sink in by way of a stare that there was little possibility of her hope coming true. She was pretty, but I thought lots of girls were pretty. It didn't mean I had feelings for all of them. In fact, I didn't have feelings for anyone. That was exactly why I went to homecoming with Midas and Azure last year, and it was why I had expected the same this year too. What was the point of getting a girl's hopes up if I knew from the start 'we' weren't going to go anywhere?

     "How about this then?" Mimosa resumed speaking, not going to give up this time, "You don't have to give me an answer about homecoming now. We can give it a test run first. We'll go on a normal date together first to see how you'll feel. We can go on as many as you'd like actually."
     "I..."

I hesitated before pausing as I thought. I knew my feelings weren't going to change, but it clearly looked as if Mimosa wasn't going to be persuaded by words alone. They hadn't worked all these years, so maybe this was simply the way to show her that I meant what I said. I definitely didn't enjoy the idea of it finally sinking it that I was being serious saying I only saw her as a friend, but perhaps it was time for her to start looking around at all the other options she had. I wasn't the only decent boy available on the planet for her to date.

     "One evening," I accepted, "That's what I'll give you."
     "Great!" Mimosa practically jumped for joy.


I was sighing and groaning in my head again. It wasn't spending time alone with her that made my skin crawl, but now I was in a position where I would most likely end up stamping all over her heart. I did care about her a lot- as a close friend. Mimosa was so ecstatic from my agreement that she talked a thousand words a minute. I stood there with a fake grin on my face while I desperately wondered what in the world I was supposed to do. My only idea was to ask Holly for help. In that specific moment I was trapped though, so when I heard a familiar voice call out to us I was as inwardly ecstatic as Mimosa was outwardly.

     "Oh! Hey, you two!" the voice rang out.
     "Hey, Candy!" I responded eagerly to my classmate who was rushing over.
     "How are you doing?" she asked merrily, glancing between the both of us.
     "I'm doing well."
     "Fine." Mimosa, suddenly a lot quieter, mumbled out.
     "What brings you here?" I wondered.
     "My apartment complex is actually right down the road. Mom asked me to run out and get some toothpaste. She's a totally germaphobe. She uses it like there's no tomorrow. She forgot she finished her last tube last night, and now she's refusing to leave the bathroom until she has more."
     "That's unfortunate!" I laughed loudly.
     "It's a pain in my ass." Candy laughed in response.


Our chuckling seemed to spur on the other's amusement, so it took us a good several seconds to calm down.

     "I should be asking what you two are doing here, shouldn't I?" Candy reciprocated my question, "Aren't you the ones who live much further away?"
     "Mimosa invited me here. She-"

I halted as I realized the words I was about to say weren't the best. I wasn't even going to mention Mimosa inviting me to homecoming and asking me out on a date, but I had been about to mention her wanting me to meet the fairy man. However, I was worried what kind of impression that would give Candy. Given Mimosa's less than typical mental abilities and her inclination to be quite strange at times, quite a few of our classmates had not so stellar opinions about her. Several could be rather mean in how they expressed those opinions as well. I wanted to help Mimosa avoid unnecessary strife if I could, even if Candy wasn't one of the ones I was particularly worried about.

     "We heard there were rumors of bizarre sightings going on around here, so we decided to check it out." I lied.
     "The fairy rumors, right?" Candy guessed with much more enthusiasm than anticipated, "Since I live close, I've heard a lot about them. People have been saying that since this place was built that there have been strange, colorful, little lights flickering about. I don't know if I believe in them exactly, but it sure would be nice to see one if they are real."
     "Oh, I hadn't heard about the little lights. Have there been other stories like that?" I asked curiously.


There were indeed a few other stories Candy had heard of, and she was more than glad to tell us of them. Well, she mostly told me of them. I thought Mimosa would have been super interested to listen as well, but she took more to standing off to the side and not looking as if she cared in the slightest. It was weird because she was typically all over stories like what Candy was telling. I tried not to let it bother me, but Candy was only just finishing mentioning something that matched Mimosa's description of this person revealing wings of light from nowhere when I had to change something.

     "So, will your mom seriously hole herself up in the bathroom until your present her with more toothpaste?" I shoved the question into the conversation the second I got the chance.
     "Ugh, yeah," Candy groaned, "She is that bad. It drives dad crazy. I guess I shouldn't annoy both of them by making them wait."
     "You go on ahead then. I'll just call you later. We do have that Literature project to start planning."
     "I wanted to forget about that for a little while longer, but I don't think you'd like it if I waited until the last second again to do my half." Candy smiled sheepishly.
     "You'd better not," I teased, folding my arms, "Not especially after you had to beg me in order to convince me you'd be a good project partner this time around."
     "Don't get too big of a head about it," Candy gave me a friendly punch on my shoulder, "I only begged you because I would have been stuck with Shea as a partner, and she's the one who never does any work!"
     "But then you would have gotten to see what it was like from my side." I taunted with a bit more of a mischievous smile.
     "Whatever, Vivid," she rolled her eyes, "I'm gonna leave now. Bye, Mimosa."
     "Bye." Mimosa barely whispered out a half-heartded goodbye when Candy smiled at her.

I wasn't sure if Candy was somewhat oblivious too or if she was choosing not to address what could have made the air awkward, but she didn't say anything about Mimosa's uninterested demeanor. She simply gave us a farewell smile and wave before departing.


I watched her leave until she was out of sight, which wasn't that long. You would have thought it was a century given the expression Mimosa wore when I turned back towards her. That was when I would have smacked my head if I hadn't wanted to look like an idiot. I somehow forgot how crazy jealous Mimosa got when other girls were around me. Given that I had sorta rejected her offer for homecoming and barely accepted a date with her, I don't think Candy's intrusion was well timed in the slightest.

     "She's very vibrant." Mimosa mumbled with a strong pout.
     "Vibrant? I suppose, sure. Candy has a pretty active and lively personality."
     "No, I mean vibrant in terms of her color. I feel all washed out and drained when I'm next to her."
     "I like your softer pink. It's...more comfortable on the eyes." I attempted to appease with whatever compliment I could think of.
     "Do you think Candy's pretty?" Mimosa returned to out previous discussion with a frown, all but ignoring my words.
     "I..."

Mimosa was determined to make this day difficult for me, wasn't she? I know I already had a headache. I only wish I could have just lied, but Mimosa had known me for too long. She would have seen right through me.

     "Like you and Holly, you've got your differences that make you pretty in your own way. I guess it's basically that Candy just falls into that chic, mature category I mentioned earlier exactly like Holly does. One is just as good as the other."
     "So you don't prefer one look over the other. You're completely indifferent." Mimosa concluded with a tiny snap.
      "Well, I..."

I mean, that is what I just said, isn't it? I didn't prefer one style or type of pretty over the other. I was indifferent because it didn't matter to me how whichever girl in question liked to present herself. However, I definitely understood that answer wouldn't be acceptable for Mimosa. She wanted me to like her while showing no interest in Candy at all.


Now that was a lie I would never think about telling. Candy happened to be another good friend, and I wasn't going to let Mimosa's jealousy dictate how I talked about her or treated her behind her back. There was a slight fear in me that trying to defend her too much in that moment would lead to Mimosa having one of her breakdowns though. Since I couldn't lie, getting off the subject entirely was the only option available. I took Mimosa's hand in mind and smiled big.

     "It's just you and me alone right now, you know? You have my full attention," I pointed out, "I really don't think your fairy friend is going to show up, so why don't we go somewhere else? I think that ice cream shoppe is open at this hour. We could get one of those special milkshakes with the two straws that you share or something."
     "Can we get it in peppermint?" Mimosa asked eagerly, blessedly perking up immediately once again.
     "Sure, but only if you eat the cherry on top. I hate the ones they use."
     "Right. You only like fresh cherries, huh?"
     "Yup," I nodded, "So, is that a promise?"
     "Promise!" Mimosa agreed with a vigorous nod.

She tightened her hand in mine even more, and the two of us walked off the lot turning the conversation back to more cheerful matters.


I was able to forget the more problematic issues for a the majority of time I spent with Mimosa. Then she was due to meet up with Holly and their mom, and I hung out in the city by myself since I did have plans with Azure too as I mentioned. He was able to tell right away that something was up when he saw me, and he unfortunately wasn't the most supportive as I told him in depth about everything that occurred. Azure laughed so loud my ears hurt.

     "Dude, you are so screwed!"
     "Thank you. Thank you very much." I answered wryly.
     "You've either got the choice of accepting the fate Mimosa wants for you by becoming her dearly beloved, or you have to trample all over her fragile, delicate heart once and for all."
     "Your concern about the situation is touching," I responded with a good, hard stare, "Seriously, can't you help me out somehow? Say you already have a bunch of plans made for Midas, me, and you for homecoming or whatever?"
     "But I'm thinking I do want to ask someone out this time." Azure revealed, slightly more serious now.
     "Oh? Who?" I wondered, genuinely curious.
     "Moon."
     "That girl from your History class?"
     "Yeah."
     "Good luck then. She seems nice."
     "Thanks," Azure grinned widely, "And, I guess if I'm required to give you some advice about your problem...you could always say that you're gay."
     "I don't think that would work out well considering that I'm not," I couldn't help but to laugh, "And everyone knows it."
     "Eh." Azure just shrugged.


He clearly wasn't providing me with any real solutions, but hanging out with Azure did relax me. I was able to forget about Mimosa entirely for a while. That was a good thing, because it was only several minutes later when another problem to juggle popped up. Azure and I were walking down the road, and we had turned a corner when he nearly choked me by grabbing my collar and dragging me down behind a stone fence.

     "What the hell?!" I barked at him as loudly as my now soft but ragged voice would allow.
     "Shush!" he reprimanded before pointing ahead of us, "Isn't that your mom and Mr. Trail?"

I was curious but not overly concerned. At first. Mom and my old elementary school teacher had maintained the friendship they had made, and the two had become quite close over the years. I had even taken to calling Mr. Trail 'Sprucey' in his presence once he stopped being my teacher. It wasn't a surprise to find out mom's plans she mentioned earlier in the day were being spent with him, but it was the way mom had her grasp wrapped around his arm as he led her inside the fancy resort building they were at that made me frown deeply.


There was no way Azure and I could simply continue on our way while ignoring the bizarre development we were supposedly witnessing. Thankfully, there were few people on the sidewalks, and none of them cared about Azure and I anyway. There also weren't many resort employees around either. Azure and I were able to sneak around the edge of the building as we continued to duck beneath the fence while we sought out a better spying position. Mom and Spruce made their way to the southern corner of the building where there was another big window we could watch them through.

     "They're acting awfully friendly." Azure spoke the obvious.

I frowned even deeper still when mom placed her hand on Spruce's shoulder. They two were talking, laughing, and having a good time. It really got on my nerves.

     "They're acting friendly because they're friends." I retorted, wishing the sight in front of me would change.
     "Your definition of friends must be much different than mine then." Azure teased.
     "Shut up." I mumbled.


I sat down and sulked. Azure popped his head up every now and again to tell me that the two were still going at it. I folded my arms and beat down the temptation to burst into the building to drag mom out with a fake emergency as an excuse. I did nearly rush through the door when we were forced onto the move again. Mom and Spruce moved to another section of the building. Faint music could be heard through the wall, and the two began to slow dance. Azure and I hid behind the wall now.

     "You know we'll be going into the seventh year of your dad having gone missing, right? I'm sure she's lonely as hell. If she's decided it's been long enough..." Azure eventually said to address my poor expression.
     "She's still married!" I retorted childishly, "She's never stopped wearing her wedding ring!"
     "Neither did Grandma Rose- until she revealed that she had been lying and was kinda seeing another guy." Azure reminded me.


That got my blood boiling, and it got it boiling because I knew he could be very well right. Our family truly didn't talk about dad much anymore. That also meant I didn't exactly talk to mom to figure out how his absence was draining her. She had always said that he would be it for her, but that had been when he had been standing next to her. Maybe...she was only wearing her ring to not upset us. Maybe her heart was aching for another, and maybe it had found another suitable to help fill the gap.

However, I couldn't stand the thought. I whipped out my phone and dialed mom's number before I could plan out anything convincing I could say to draw her out of the building.

     "Coal, leave her alone." Azure chastised with an exasperated sigh.

But it was too late. The call was going through.


It rang, and it kept on ringing. I gave mom an ample amount of time before curiosity got Azure and I both peeking through the window again. Mom could have forgotten her phone, or she could have had it on silent. Both were untrue. What Azure and I saw was that mom and Spruce had stopped dancing. Mom had her phone in her hand, and she was staring down at it. She was definitely seeing that the call was from me. I expected her to answer it any second then. What happened instead was that my mouth dropped open when, after exchanging a few words with Spruce, she sent the call to voicemail before it looked like she did silence her phone and put it in her pocket.

     "Good going, Auntie 'Thereal. You show Coal you can do whatever you want." Azure encouraged her determinedly from afar.

I ignored him. More accurately, I said nothing because shock had me unable to say nothing. If mom was deciding to trust her heart to another, I don't know if I really had it in me to stop her. However, I knew it was causing my heart to ache something awful. Wishing on stars and seeing mom still wearing her ring were the two things that kept any sort of faint hope alive in me. To see mom go to another man meant to me that she had fully given up, and I don't think burning chunks of rock soaring across the sky had enough power to remedy that loss.

     "Coal!" Azure called after me when I spun on my heel to furiously walk away.
     "Let's go to the batting cages. I really need to hit the shit out of something right about now." I suggested.

Well, demanded.

     "Sure," Azure accepted, finally throwing some support my way, "I'll pay for the first round."

I nodded miserably, and he gave my shoulder a comforting pat before we walked along in silence.
1 comment on "Gen Two- Chapter Seventeen"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9