Top Social

Gen One- Chapter Forty Four


It still felt weird to be home. There were moments where I could forget where everything had changed, but of course everything had. Being white in a place where I had spent nearly half of my youth being green was taking some time to get used to. I was more accustomed to my white meaning I had to stay hidden, so to be able to move freely was bizarre. What was worse than that sensation was walking outside. Now allowed to come and go and live as I pleased, moving about Berrybrook as Ethereal was definitely a lot more challenging than it was for Meadow. My feelings of paranoia hadn't faded at all, because I might as well put a spotlight on me every time I go out. I gathered the courage to take a short walk the other day, and I got bombarded by people who wanted to talk to me or take pictures. I had seen such a thing be frequent with Purity, but it was at an obnoxious level for me with my story going as strong as ever. It was pretty much still the only thing being talked about on the news. It made sense though. It had only been two weeks after all since my capture.

With all the craziness, I had taken to driving whenever possible when I did decide to leave the house. I had spent the majority of my time, naturally, with my friends. The past several days had been full of us talking and me getting them used to the new me. It was frustrating in a way to see that even they acted differently around me. Thankfully, the more they grasped that Ethereal was just Meadow everything was shifting slowly to how it had been before. Sunset, Sunflower, and I had spent the whole afternoon hanging out like normal. That was what helped me forget the changes in my life. Walking down the stairs later that evening to get a snack before bed was what undid that. Eden had beaten me to the kitchen, and the conversation he was having on the phone alluded directly to the monumental event taking place the following day.


Not wanting to interrupt and also wanting to eavesdrop, I took a seat on the fourth and fifth steps as they provided me decent protection behind the wall. Still, I leaned back and hid myself further when Eden turned more towards my direction before he moved to the window. His voice was mild in manner, but it clung onto an air of seriousness.

     "Yes, so we'll be there just a little bit before noon if there's no problems with traffic."

My heart skipped a few beats. There was only one place we were going to tomorrow, so that meant there could only be one of two people Eden was talking to. Thinking he had just been on the phone with Blaze or something, I felt a weight dig into my chest. It wasn't a heavy weight or a burdensome one, but it forced me to take a deep breath. This was actually happening. What had only ever been imagined in my mind was becoming reality. A real person was on the other side of that call. Someone who Eden already knew, which was a fact I had forgotten. How would they react to seeing him again? How would they react to me? That latter question was the one that had been on my mind the most.

     "Oh, so they've opened that second exit of the interstate? That's good to know. That should cut off a bit of driving time." Eden continued the conversation.

Most of it was small talk. Figuring out the timing and a bit of discussion for interaction after tomorrow. About to hold off getting my snack and going back upstairs until the call was over, Eden's talking became quiet so that I couldn't hear it. When it went back up in volume, the manner in which he spoke was so uncharacteristically forceful that I couldn't help but keep listening.

     "I get that," he began, "And I just have this to say. I know that you two are her parents. I know that you'll want to spend time with her this summer, and take on an active role in her life. I'm not going to try to stop that at all. However, you're going to have to remember that she is mine. I haven't spent all these years doing what I've done so someone else could snatch her away. You can guide her, but I will be the one to be, for lack of a better term, her father. I don't want to be undermined. I don't want either of you trying to sway her so that your will is put above mine."


Tightening up when it went dead silent, from my perspective anyway, I was relieved when Eden began speaking once more. What he said apparently didn't bother the other person all that much. Eden merely apologized for being stern, saying he just need to make his point as clear as soon as possible, and he and the other person continued their conversation as if the whole matter hadn't happened. I snuck back upstairs. Closing the door behind me, I leaned against it for a moment. A small part of me felt like I should be insulted. It was only two more months until I turned nineteen. I had graduated high school, I was technically an adult, and I could possibly be having a child before too long. I didn't have to bend to anyone's will if I didn't want to. Then there was the rest of me. The part that knew Eden's protectiveness wasn't possessive, but loving. I definitely didn't mind living under his rule. The idea of going through life without him telling me what I should do was actually rather terrifying. I needed him, and I appreciated that he knew that. I smiled as I moved over to give Button's head a good petting.

     "I've got a weird life," I said as she licked at my chin, "But, I don't think I mind so much anymore. I've got a lot of people who care about me, and I'd rather have that and a crazy life than a normal life where no one cares."

Button licked more eagerly at my cheek, and my smile actually disappeared a little.

     "I wonder if everything will go well tomorrow though. How are you supposed to interact with your parents when you've never met them before?" I questioned with a hint of desperation.


It took me a long time to fall asleep that night. I would have taken a sleeping pill to help out, but I froze the second I touched the box. I wish I could just know one way or the other already if I was pregnant. Was I good to take those pills? The directions only said for pregnant women to ask their doctor, so it didn't disallow it outright. Surely since I was still so "early" I would be fine? The idea that I could hurt any baby that could be growing inside me had me putting the box away in the end though. I managed to get drowsy by drinking some warm almond milk instead.

I slept relatively well anyway on the drive to the suburbs of Riverville, the city where Jungle and Field Seedling lived. When I woke up, Eden surprised me by saying that it wasn't all that far away from the town where he, Blaze, Coal, Desire, and Grape grew up. The Company building where I had been kept in my youth, by extension, wasn't that far away either. Intrigued but not overly surprised that the three locations were relatively close together, I wanted to take a little trip down nostalgia road. Walking down the paths my brother trotted in his youth sounded like an adventure. However, we took a right turn and all of my thoughts were swept out of my mind. Eden was slowing the car. A green house was upon us.

     "First impression?" Eden asked with an amused smile.
     "It's cuter than I thought it would be." I said quietly, unsure of anything else I could say thanks to my shock.


Eden turned into the driveway, and I swear I turned into solid stone. It took Eden a whole minute of encouraging me to get me out of the car. Lightheaded and fidgety, I trailed behind my brother as if I was that incredibly shy ten-year-old again. Heat soared through my body when he rang the doorbell. I begged for a moment for no one to answer, but I knew I would not be getting away that easily. Staring up at Eden, he looked perfectly content. Now I really wish I knew how he had been on his first visit here. Having the knowledge that he had been just as nervous then as I was now would have made me feel slightly better.

     "It's alright." he said for the hundredth time when I slipped my hand into his.

He gave it a comforting squeeze, but soon he was grimacing. Movement from inside caught my attention, and my grip became so tight I had to be cutting off his circulation.


The slight movement became a person, and I definitely began to hurt Eden's hand because he placed his other one over mine to both give it a quick pat and gently pry off its intensity. The severe nervousness that the door opening brought actually forced me to loosen my grip entirely. I was more scared of looking like an absolute idiot than I was of that moment, somehow. The door opened, and there she was. Too out of it for anything I was seeing to sink in, I didn't get a good glance at my mother until she had already welcomed us inside. She seemed not to mind my blank stare. She merely smiled, although her light fidgeting and slow, carefully enunciated speech proved she was not without nerves herself.

     "It is good to see you again, Eden. It truly is." she spoke sweetly.
     "You too, Field." Eden replied cheerfully.

Field's gaze turned to me and lingered there. That was when things started to sink in a little. The woman before me was my mother. The color of her hair and eyes belonged to both Eden and Meadow. Though her nose and mouth were her own, the shape of her face and her eyes were mine. I wondered if my voice would sound more like hers as I finished growing. What else about her was a part of me?

     "And, Ethereal..." Field said softly.


There was a moment of hesitation. I certainly didn't know what to do. How should I greet her? Was it alright to call her 'mom' right off the bat? Did I want to call her 'mom' right off the bat? Would it be best just to shake her hand? Would it be rude if that was all I did? Field seemed to have a better grasp as to what the correct answers should be. Reaching her hand out as an offering, I placed mine in it. She wanted more though, and I was receptive when she gave my hand a tiny tug as her way of asking permission. I was gently pulled into the hug, and I was surprised by what I found.

That moment was our first meeting. It was the first time we have ever touched. Field might have been my mother biologically, but it wasn't as if she carried me- giving me that natural connection to her that should have been there. Still, that fact hardly seemed to matter. The hug was weird, and not because a stranger had her arms around me. It was because Field was a stranger to me but I felt so comfortable against her that the hug was bizarre. She slowly and steadily clutched onto me tighter as if she had been missing me all this time, as if her heart had been aching for me even though she didn't have a clue about me. My hair was tenderly stroked and a loving, tiny kiss was placed on the top of my head. I didn't mind in the slightest. I rapidly wished the embrace would never end. There was a connection between us that had me silently aching for her as well. Somewhere inside me, I knew Field was mine. The surging of relief and outpouring of love and affection was almost overwhelming. I had to fight back against becoming teary.


There was some relief that came from Field ending the hug too. If we had spent much longer like that, I would have become a blubbering mess. My tears were packed away after Field placed a soft hand on my cheek and another kiss on my forehead. Her grateful smile soon shifted Eden's way. He had been watching us wearing a content smile of his own.

     "You come here too, you crazy boy." Field spoke to him.

There was no hesitation on Eden's part. The two shared their own embrace, but my feelings of joy sunk as a small crash of sadness and guilt hit my chest. Though I hadn't known it for long, I now understood how it felt to be loved by a parent. Field was Eden's mother too, but he couldn't allow himself to feel what I felt. He had to reject what I could no longer imagine living without. Such thoughts appeared to have no place in my brother's mind though. The second hug was ended, and the smiles continued until Field frowned.

     "You had us worried to death," she said, and guilt found its way into her words, "I know we...hadn't known each other all that long, but the way you just disappeared for all these years had us frightened. Now to find out it was because of something like this..."

Field glanced between him and me before continuing.

     "You said you were aiming big, but I guess I didn't grasp at just how big you were talking about. The whole world is going to change because of this. It looks like the changes have already happened to you too."
     "I know," Eden laughed, "I'm not that skinny little geek that walked through your door for the first time. And, trust me, I hadn't intended to aim this high either. I didn't mean to worry you, but...I don't mind how things are turning out in the end."
     "No, I suppose I don't either," Field smiled tenderly again, placing her hand on Eden's arm, "I am actually truly thankful for all that you've done."


Eden beamed at her comment, and I began to feel better again. He had told me once that he had made peace with how his relationship with Field had turned out, and so far his actions were proving his words true. He appeared content enough with the loving manner in which she was still treating him. Field motioned us to take a seat, and I think she read my mind when she saw me trying to be inconspicuous with my curious glancing around. She wasn't the only one I was supposed to be meeting after all.

     "Lunch is ready to go. We can eat as soon as Jungle gets out here," she explained before turning amused, "You'll have to forgive him. He's still in a bit of a state of shock over this situation. He didn't say it with so many words, but he needs a moment more to collect himself before he can make an appearance."
     "That's alright. I understand exactly how he feels." I sympathized, being glad I had had Eden to push me along here as I never would have had the courage to come myself.

I remained quite nervous though even if I was slowly growing accustomed to my surroundings. I was willing to let Eden take first charge of the conversation as he questioned Field about how she and Jungle had been doing over the years. I learned that Jungle was a manager at an electronics store while Field taught cooking classes. I don't know why I was shocked as I kept learning things about her that were similar to me. My interests, my preferences, my skills- they were all hereditary in some way. What Eden had inherited from her that I definitely hadn't was her clumsiness. Field chose to stand instead of sit, and even doing nothing but standing still had her tripping up some.

     "Jungle, you can't avoid this forever! Hurry up and get out here- the rest of us would like to eat!" she called to her husband after that, probably to take the attention off her to reduce her embarrassment.
     "I'm coming! I'm coming!" a male voice called back in reply.


I tensed up at that sound and the sounds of him approaching as he walked over from wherever he had been hiding. Eden prompted me to stand with him when movement appeared near the arch, and seconds later my father hesitantly slid into sight. Certain things about him I recognized instantly. He was where Meadow had gotten her skin, and his lips and the overall shape of his nose was startlingly similar to hers as well.

His eyes met mine only briefly before they darted away. Nerves bounced with more fervor in my chest. Jungle was who I had been actually worried about meeting. I had never forgotten for a second that he had never wanted children. I dreaded to think that any kindness he showed to me was nothing more than an act.


I buried my fear as deep as I could, although it taunted me incessantly from the back of my mind. That Field had to tug Jungle over slightly didn't help me out any. Forcing myself to act normally, I gave my father a grin. Perhaps I could find out if it was just nerves that was causing his reluctant behavior.

     "It's good to meet you, Ethereal." he said softly, still having trouble keeping his gaze locked with mine.
     "You too."

There was more hesitation. Jungle was figuring out if he was required to hug me. After a pause, we settled for an awkward handshake.

     "How was the drive over?" he asked after clearing his throat.
     "Alright, I suppose. I slept most of the way." I shrugged.
     "I see."

The two of us both shifted uncomfortably as another lull quickly dominated the talking. My mind began to panic slightly. This wasn't going all that great.

     "I'm sorry," Jungle was honest enough to say before too long, "I don't really know what I should be saying in this kind of situation."
     "Me neither." I giggled.

Some of my fright vanished when I latched onto a certain idea. Field had so far proven to be confident with herself despite the intensity of what was going on. Perhaps it was Jungle I had inherited my shyness from, which helped me to understand him and how difficult it was for him to interact with me.


Field stepped up behind me and placed her hand on my shoulder.

     "You two, this is no different than meeting any other new person for the first time," she encouraged, "You just have to ask questions to find out more about the other. What do they like to do? What kind of stuff is going on in their lives right now?"
     "Oh! Eden's got some big news to share." I spoke eagerly, giving my brother a wicked smirk.
     "Don't you even dare." he frowned.
     "What's this now?" Jungle wondered curiously.
     "I don't want to talk about it at this-"
     "Eden knocked up my ex-boyfriend's mom." I blurted out.
     "Oh my." Field gasped quietly.
     "Ethereal!" Eden flushed angrily, burying his head in his hand.
     "What? That's what happened." I said nonchalantly.
     "It's sound absolutely horrible when you say it like that." he mumbled bitterly.
     "You and this woman aren't together then?" Jungle questioned.
     "No. We never were." Eden admitted with incredibly reluctance.
     "She wasn't with someone else, was she?" Field then asked with a hint of dread.

That was when I felt I probably should have been a bit more tactful with how I had presented the topic. Field was now scared that Eden had repeated her mistake.

     "No, she was single, although-" Eden cut himself off before taking a big breath, "It's all horribly complicated. She was engaged, but her guy mysteriously took off when her son was a baby. There had been no signs for years that he would ever come back, but she continued to wear her ring because she wanted her son to hope that he would return. She and I only met up like we did because of certain feelings were shared and not because we actually loved each other in the way a stranger looking at the situation would think we did. Then it turned out that her fiance was in a position to help me out greatly with Ethereal's predicament. Now he's decided to come back into everyone's lives, and it turns out he hadn't been abandoning them for no good reason, so it's...it's just a big mess."



He timidly glanced up when Field placed her hand on his shoulder now.

     "It's not so different from how everything else is now then, huh?" she joked lightly, "I don't think you should worry. Given how you were able to handle these past nineteen years or so, I believe you'll come out just fine in this case as well."

Eden's mood perked up again because of her words, and soon it was my turn to have my cheeks flush in embarrassment. Field turned to me with a curious smile.

     "So, you have an ex-boyfriend?" she wondered.
     "Yeah. His name is Allium. We're still really good friends though. We've known each other since we were ten. Amaranth and I have too."
     "Is that the name of your current boyfriend? If I remember correctly from those news reports, you were kidnapped from your boyfriend's flat."
     "That's Amaranth." I nodded in confirmation, "I was staying with him and his uncle because I was sick and Eden was away, and he wanted someone to watch me."

I had stuck to the lie I had told Allium in order to keep Blaze and Amaranth's true involvement with the situation a secret. As far as everyone else was concerned, Amaranth only disappeared after the shooting at his place in order to be kept safe from the mysterious criminals who might seek retaliation. Blaze had only "broken" his ankle as well.

     "And is this Amaranth cute?" Field questioned with girlish anticipation.
     "Um, yeah." I said softly, the heat rising to my cheeks.
     "Do you have any pictures?" she asked eagerly.
     "Loads of them are on her phone," Eden jumped to answer for me with a smirk when I was too coy to respond, "You should have her show you the video her friend shot of the two of them slipping when ice skating. It's hilarious."

I stuck my tongue out at him for him getting his revenge.

     "Let's just start with the pictures. Here, you can show me some while we get the food passed around. I am actually incredibly hungry." Field instructed sweetly as she latched her arm around mine to lead me into the kitchen.


I was thoroughly amused to find out that lunch was fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, Eden's favorite. I was even more amused to learn that, in a bizarre coincidence, they were Jungle's favorite thing to eat as well. The two got along so well that I momentarily forgot that Jungle wasn't Eden's father. Just like my brother had told me, my father held no animosity towards him for being the child of his wife and another man. It bolstered my confidence seeing that Jungle definitely didn't blame Eden for the actions of others. However, that didn't mean things went as I hoped they would go. Most of the awkward tension in the air did disappear during lunch. Eden and I did most of the talking, but I soon discovered that I felt as if I had known Field forever when we got some words in. Jungle and I didn't have the same luck. I tried conversing with him as best as I could, and we were able to string a few sentences back and forth. Most of the time though, I merely received a simple words of confirmation from him and a quick glance my way before he avoided eye contact again. I'm sure Eden and Field were aware of that on some level, but it wasn't until the meal was over before either of them did something about it.


Field pointed out to Jungle that he should do the dishes since she did the cooking, and she suggested I help him out. I barely had time to process the subtle order before she took Eden outside with her saying they were going to have a chat. It didn't take any effort to figure out she was forcing Jungle and I to interact with each other on our own. Her plan didn't look as if it would have good results at first. Clearing up the dishes and bringing them to the sink went silently. The misery was extended because the dishes did have to be washed by hand as the house didn't have a dishwasher. I offered to do the washing, but Jungle said he preferred to wash while I dried. He got the sink filled with sudsy water, and we began our work. Halfway through the pile of plates, I couldn't take the silence any more.

     "We didn't talk too much during lunch about how crazy this situation is- about what happened to me and how you and...mom are now a part of it. I hope it hasn't been too hard on you having it all come out of nowhere so suddenly." I forced the words out.
     "It has been a shock. Field and I had just wanted to contribute something good to the world when we donated, a-and give ourselves a little boost towards our dream of taking a world cruise..."

A smile tugged at the edge of my lips. Blaze had actually been right. Jungle and Field had wanted the money so they could take a vacation.

     "It has been disheartening to see our relatively good intentions be spoiled in such a manner, but we are relieved things appear to be heading to a happier ending," he continued, "The unexpected attention on Field and me has been particularly bothersome, but we are coping well enough considering we have gone through the least amount of trouble compared to you and Eden."
     "That's good to hear," I said with what optimism I could muster before falling despondent, "And, I just want you to know... you don't have to pretend if you don't want to, since I know a thing or two about having to pretend and how suffocating it can be."


Jungle instantly stopped washing and turned to me with a surprised frown. I continued right away since I had already gone ahead and jumped into the deep end.

     "I know that you never wanted kids, and now you're having one forced upon you. Honestly, I spent so much time not allowing myself to hope that I would get to meet my parents because I was sure I never would, so I'm appeased enough just getting this chance to meet you. I am well aware of the chaos that is my life. You didn't ask for me to be thrust into yours. I don't want to complicate things for you or make you feel like you have no choice in having my problems become yours. You don't have to think of me as your daughter, because-"
     "Ethereal, no." Jungle suddenly interrupted.

He had a hand on my shoulder, and the expression he wore retained his shock and added on some signs that he was upset and ever so slightly horrified.

     "Don't think that way. Please don't." he requested imploringly.


I timidly glanced back up, and Jungle was finally meeting my eye without hesitation. A tiny, embarrassed smile graced his lips.

     "I never wanted children not because I hate them or the idea of having my own son or daughter. It was always just that...well, I'm not the most confident person on the planet. On some level I did always want a child, but the thought of me being responsible for an entire other life terrified me so greatly that I refused to place the responsibility on my shoulders entirely. To tell the truth, the first time I met Eden I was filled with quite a lot of regret, especially when I learned he had grown up without a family. I hated myself when I told him he was better off not thinking of Field and me as parents. It was just the fear talking again, because I was scared I would find out that he actually hated me for not allowing him to have a home with his mother. Then he disappeared off the face of the planet, and I was so horrible as to basically ignore that he had ever existed."

Jungle shook his head.

     "And now he's spoiling this selfish me by giving me a beautiful, well-raised daughter that I get the privilege to know thanks to all of that poor boy's hardships. I am sorry, Ethereal, for I am awful at first impressions. I rarely know what to say when I meet a normal person. You should get Field to tell you of our first encounter. Meeting you only increased my inability to express myself as I should. I was merely afraid I would say something to offend or upset you, because I know you have been through so much. And, I am indeed glad you have come here today. I do not mind in the slightest my life getting more complicated because of knowing you. Now that you are here, I do very much want you in my life. You and Eden both. I do hope that someday you might find yourself thinking of me as your father..."


His shyness sneaking up on him, Jungle's words grew quieter as the color on his cheeks deepened in his nervousness. That did not, however, lessen the conviction of what he spoke. My own worries and fears subsiding, I flashed Jungle a big smile before not allowing him to get away without a hug this time. Like with Allium's embrace with Jac, my father was left momentarily stunned for several seconds before he reciprocated the love. Still, he remained a bit too nervous to properly return the hug. It took me squeezing myself against him almost as hard as I could to get him to understand that his arms needed to be a little more sturdier than the limp noodles they felt like. That got Jungle quietly chuckling and hugging me like I wanted him to. The feeling I got when I sometimes hugged Eden was there constantly in Jungle's embrace. It was quiet similar to what I felt with Field, but it was different in its own way as well.

     "You don't have to worry about your ability to parent. You're doing fine so far." I encouraged cheerfully when we let go.
     "I am glad to hear that." Jungle replied gratefully.
     "And, about Eden, I don't think you have to worry about him being bitter towards you. He's never given me the impression that he is. The first time he told me about you and mom, he even told me that he was aware how awful you felt about him not having a family growing up. Eden's good at knowing how others feel. I'm sure he was quite knowledgeable that you did care for him at heart, although I think he would appreciate being included more how I'm being included in your lives now."
     "T-that was my intention to attempt from here on out. When he was kind enough to call Field and I ahead of time to let us know about the situation that was about to be shown to the world, I knew it was long past due that I did something for him in return. P-perhaps he doesn't want me to take on a closer role to him, but I at least want to try. If I can ever manage to maintain one decent conversation..."
     "C'mon, you're doing perfectly fine," I encouraged again, giving Jungle a light, teasing push, "And you just have to do what mom said. Ask questions. Even if they're simple ones, they'll lead you to information that can bring about great results. I'll start us off now so you can practice. What do you like to do in your spare time? Got any hobbies?"
     "Field spent a majority of our afternoons participating in community events. Festivals, musical showcases, art shows, the high school plays and musicals, exhibitions, and so on. Before my body started aching too much, I participated in a nearby adult soccer team. I've gotten too old to do it competitively anymore, but I do meet up with friends from time to time to play casually. I'll practice on my own in the yard occasionally as well."
     "I got into soccer a little last fall. I was never interested playing on a team or anything, but I enjoyed kicking it around by myself. I haven't practiced recently, but I have wanted to get back into it now that I don't have to worry so much about certain things."
     "I do keep a ball in the garage. If you're interested, we could bring it out for a bit before you leave." Jungle offered.
     "That' s great idea. Let's get it out right now." I accepted enthusiastically.


Jungle loosened up after that. I had easily stumbled upon his passion, and that gave him the opportunity to be even more open with him. He was nothing but big smiles and enthusiasm from the second he touched that soccer ball. The two of us didn't think running around was the best choice as our stomachs were still full of food, so Jungle took to teaching me how to dribble better. It had been a long time since I had practiced, so there was a lot to work out. He didn't mind a bit how humorously awful I was. He taught with patience, and he actually made me laugh when he showed me all the cool tricks he could do that showed me how lacking my skills were. I was more amazed when he said he couldn't do most of what he used to be able to do, which left me wishing that I had been able to see him play in he peak days. We tried to get Field and Eden in on the playing, but they were firmly set with the conversation on the porch. Most of it seemed lighthearted, but I could tell from their occasionally serious expressions that they were talking about much more important matters every so often.


The hours seems to fly by. It got the point where I grew so comfortable that I felt like Jungle and Field's home had always been my home. There was something weirdly assuring about having my parents and brother under one roof as we acted as if that was our lives. I spent a good long time remarking on the fact that there had been a chance, minuscule though it was, that this could have been my life. Jungle and Field could have kept Eden instead of giving him up for adoption, and the egg and sperm that made me could have made me again.

I was so at peace that I saw no reason not to be the one to rush towards the door when someone rung the bell. The other three were momentarily preoccupied. Field was using the restroom, and Jungle was showing Eden something in his room. I opened the door to find another entirely green man standing on the porch. I had two instinctive reactions seeing him. First, I felt as if I had seen him before. Something about him was strangely familiar, although I couldn't figure out why. My second reaction was to be nervous. The man's eyes went wide at the sight of me, and I remember that I did have to be cautious around unknown people. It would be too incredibly obvious who the culprit was if The Company tried to retaliate against Eden or me, but that didn't mean they wouldn't think to try something.

     "Ah, you are that Ethereal," the man said in awe, growing apologetic when he sensed my hesitation, "Sorry. You have just been in the news a lot."

I smacked myself mentally and calmed down. I truly was being far too paranoid. Everyone did know about me now, so it was quite reasonable why the man had reacted with surprise when he saw me of all people coming out of a house I'm sure he didn't expect me to be at. For all I knew, he could be the next-door-neighbor.

     "My name is Hunter Rune." he introduced himself.


The name instantly clicked in my brain.

     "Hunter Rune? The famous theoretical physicist? The one who won the Fielders Metal at age 28?" I asked incredulously, it now being my turn to stare in awe.
     "That is me." he nodded with an amused chuckle.
     "Oh, wow. You know, I just have to say that I really love that book you wrote- 'Findings of the Multiverse'. It was great how you didn't just rattle off theories and wordy explanations, but wrote with an air of humor and related the topics to genuine, realistic situations."
     "I am glad you approve of it so highly," Hunter expressed with gratitude, "And I am impressed that you have read it. I doubt many girls your age would even consider scanning through the first page."
     "After I read it the first time, I got a little hooked. I must have read it three or four times over the summer. I tried to use it for my book report in 8th grade, but my teacher wouldn't let me. She said my classmates wouldn't understand a word I was saying. I had to pick a book about the history of circuses instead."

I went silent when Hunter's smiled faded and he stared at me in confusion.

     "Wait. You're telling me you read it and understood it when you were only about 13-years-old?" he asked in amazement.
     "Um, yes? I...I'm kind of a genius." I admitted with a sheepish smile.

Hunter laughed quietly again.

     "It certainly sounds like it." he said.
     "It seems to be something I inherited, for my brother is the same way. We both just have this capacity to memorize everything we see instantly, which makes absorbing information incredibly easy."
     "Your brother, that's...Eden, right?"


There was something about the way he asked that question that had suspicion growing within me once more. It wasn't that I sensed danger from the man in front of me or anything, but I couldn't help but feel that he did definitely have an agenda.

     "So, can I ask why you're here, Mr. Rune?" I wondered.
     "I came to see Field. She's an old acquaintance of mine." he explained.
     "Really?" I replied with genuine surprise.

Perhaps it was because my mother had a conservative manner of dress and acted very much like a homemaker, but it was difficult to imagine her mingling with a world-renowned mathematician. I had to accept that there clearly had to be more to her than what I had seen though. With her being the only blood link between Eden and I, we had to have gotten our intellect from her somehow.

     "In truth, we do not know each other all that well. However, there was a recent...discovery I made that has given me no choice but to talk to her. I do not mean to intrude on what must be an important event as I have heard from your story that you have never met your parents before, but it is a pressing matter I can stand to put off no longer." Hunter expressed sincerely.
     "Well, I do not mind. You can come on in." I said with a shrug.


I was slightly hesitant about letting him in the house. Maybe it would have been better to tell him to come back another time when he could speak to Field more privately. However, I did indeed let him come inside. It was easy enough to sense that the matter he had on his mind was highly important to him. I had absolutely no idea how serious the truth he held was though. The other three were walking back into the living room at the same time I brought the visitor inside. The reactions everyone had to each other were not what one would consider stellar. There was a gentle though still sharp inhale on Hunter's part, and when I glanced back I found that his gaze was firmly set on Eden, who merely looked back with an expression of light curiosity. Then Field appeared from behind the arch, and it was what she did that had me worrying. Her eyes grew massive when she recognized the man behind me. Her mouth was covered by her hands after she let out a startled gasp, the color drained out of her face, and she appeared positively horrified. I cringed inwardly, understanding I should have definitely asked my mother about Hunter first before waltzing him through the front door.


Jungle only stared at Hunter with curiosity as well. Whatever the issue was, it appeared at first to solely be between my mother and the visitor.

     "Who are you?" Jungle asked, his eyes beginning to narrow ever so slightly when he saw the way Hunter was affecting Field.
     "Hunter Rune. The two of us do not know each other, but I happen to know your wife.  It is because of certain actions of hers after our last meeting that has forced me to be here today."

I saw some surprise flash in Eden's eyes. I know he had admired Hunter at one point. He was the one who had given me my copy of Findings of the Multiverse, after all. The determined tone in Hunter's voice took Jungle aback, and before he could say anything or make any sort of protest Hunter began speaking to my mother. It was more him berating her though.

     "How could you?" he started, his voice growing angry enough to match the glare on his face, "How could you lie to me so blatantly about such a serious matter? You weren't that out of it to not know better. And you apparently just kept the lies going and going afterwards, didn't you?"
     "I was...I was just...embarrassed...and I felt so guilty..." Field mumbled pitifully.
     "And you have no one to blame but yourself. I don't care how angry you were. You did not drink nearly enough to make you that unaware of the consequences of your actions. You knew what you would be dealing with the next morning. It was bad enough what you were doing, but can you imagine how I felt hearing these news reports? Finding out exactly how you lied to me, and what you stole away from me just because you felt bad? Not to mention how you affected his entire life!"

The first half of the brief but subtly intense conversation was a mess to follow. Thinking I had missed out on something, I glanced at both Jungle and Eden. They were just as confused as I was. Then, steadily, piece by piece- the words Hunter spoke began aligning with the knowledge we all had. There was only one incident Hunter could be recalling. There was a very specific reason why Hunter looked so familiar even though I had never seen his face before. Glancing Eden's way again, I saw his mouth drop open in utter shock as he stared at Hunter unblinking.


However, we weren't the only ones who had figured it out. Jungle's face was expressionless in shock before steaming rage overcame him.

     "You can get the hell out of my house!" Jungle shouted at him, giving him a solid push backwards.

Hunter seemed to be an unmovable force. He didn't even stumble at the impact, merely took a half-step back.

     "I understand that you would be angry at me, but you shouldn't be. I admit that it was against my better judgment to sleep with a woman I had just met at a bar, but I never would have been so low as to touch her had she told me the truth. She told me she was single. She wasn't wearing a ring. She betrayed no hint of guilt that had me doubting her words." Hunter professed with a required amount of deference, although he still spoke with a sharp bite.
     "She had had too much to drink." Jungle spit back.
     "Did you not hear what I said? She might have been drinking, but she was well aware of what she was doing. I know from the story Eden told in that one interview that you are under the impression she was so out of it from intoxication that she didn't realize what she was doing or who she was doing it with, but I am sorry to tell you that those were more of her lies. Ask her yourself if you don't believe me."


Field's head hung low. Jungle stared at her intently, desperation for her to counter Hunter's words etched on his face. My chest went hollow and cold when I realized she wasn't going to. And that was because she couldn't. The realization had Jungle beginning to shake slightly, and his glare at Hunter grew deeper as he didn't know who exactly to be angry at. Eden's stare never moved off Hunter, and Hunter return his eye back to Field.

     "It was terrible enough that you lied to me about being married. However, what was truly despicable was what you did afterwards. You knew who I was. You let me put my number into your phone, and even if you had erased it afterwards it would have been easy enough to find some way to contact me online afterwards. But you didn't. You gave my son up for adoption without even giving me the consideration of letting me know that he existed," he spoke bitterly, before he choked up lightly as strong emotions hit him, "I would have taken him in. I would have taken him, and if you were so against having anything to do with him then I wouldn't have forced you to be a part of his life. Instead, you subjected him to a painful childhood where he didn't have the love he should have. You took from me the child I would have treasured. I had already lost Apple and Sprig, and you made it so I couldn't be there for my new son when he needed me."

I found myself having to breathe deeper to prevent myself from becoming teary as well. I had forgotten one of the facts that I had learned about Hunter when I had had that momentary obsession with him. He had lost his own wife and infant son in a terrible, brutal accident that had left them dying slowly and painfully. Putting together the time period of when that had happened and when he and Field would have had to have met up, I wondered if the agony of losing his family was what had led him to that bar in the first place.


I saw Field cringe when a deep breath from Hunter signaled his continuation, but Jungle decided to remain on his wife's side for the moment because he took a step more between them wearing an even deeper scowl than before.

     "Get out of my house!" he snapped, "Whatever you've been through, whatever my wife did- you have no right to burst in here without warning and berate her like this!"
     "But, look, now you're feeling how I'm feeling. Pissed and upset that someone's doing what they have no right to do," Hunter countered with sarcastic teasing, which made Jungle's expression grow dark, "Except your wife did something way worse. Something that cut so deep that I'm half considering bringing charges against her."

That sent the fight spiraling out of control. The restraint the two men had been clinging onto steadily disappeared as their voices grew louder and cursing became more common place. I expected a punch to be thrown any second. Field was completely pushed of the fight. She merely stared at the ground with a frozen, dead expression. Withe each passing second, the idea of sneaking off to hide in the bedroom felt like the best option for me. The joy I had been experiencing had been utterly killed. About to take that first step towards the room, I was halted when Eden suddenly shoved himself between Jungle and Hunter. Having made only useless attempts to calm them with quiet words, his face was now narrowed too as he pushed them back in opposite directions.

     "Stop!" he commanded with such authority that had both men's glares turn into looks of surprise, "This is going to stop right now, or Ethereal and I will be leaving- and I have half a mind to not bother coming back! The two of you are not going to ruin this day for her!"


The looks of anger disappeared further to be replaced by guilt. Both Jungle and Hunter glanced my way sheepishly, and I think it's safe to say my quietly upset state swayed them Eden's way.

     "Listen. Everyone here has a legitimate reason to be upset," Eden pressed on, his voice calmer but still commanding, "I realize a lot of this is a serious matter we're going to have to discuss more. However, I did not work so hard all these years to let such a thing be the downfall of that work. I'm not going to let us break apart already. We're going to be one, big happy family, and you're all going to fucking like it."

The serious air Eden created with quickly broken when I couldn't help but to let out a tiny, snorting laugh.

     "Oh, Eden." I said with a shake of my head at his dramatics.
     "Shut up." he said quietly, looking away but smiling lightly.

That smiled turned slightly pained when he turned towards Hunter, finally ready to address him. Hunter's expression softened immensely.

     "I don't know exactly how I feel about this yet," Eden admitted, "But, I know I am glad. I am grateful. Honestly, just knowing you would have wanted me...it's as if I don't even mind how difficult life was for me growing up anymore. I can't change the past, and I accepted that long ago. I only look forward to tomorrow, and if we all work through this struggle I think tomorrow could look very good indeed."

He gave a sincere glance at the three older adults before continuing again.

     "But, you know, even if I could change the past...I wouldn't. If I had a choice between being taken in by you or living my life how I've lived it so far, I would choose to be put up for adoption again in a heartbeat."


Eden smiled wider when Hunter stared at him in stunned confusion.

     "I would have had a great life with you- I know this. Everything I begged for when I was young could have been given to me. I would have been happy in all the ways I was hurt. Who knows how far I could have gone with you raising me. However, where would that leave her?" Eden asked, motioning to me, "She wouldn't be here, that's for sure. The Company's plan probably would have gone on as they originally intended. Ethereal would be stuck in that prison of a room. Her entire life would be reduced to nothing more than her worth as a body used to push out baby after baby. And she probably wouldn't mind, because she never would have known what it meant to live in the first place. Everything I've spent more than half of my life fighting for, everything that's important to me now, the true dream I had that I was able to make a reality- all of it wouldn't even exist. I don't like that thought at all. She's more important to me than me, so that's why I would rather pick this life than a life of ignorant happiness where she's forced to suffer instead."

My cheeks burned. It was hardly the first time Eden was so openly gallant about what he thought of me, but the intensity of his love still shook me from time to time. Thankfully, the attention wasn't on me long for Hunter smiled wistfully and found his voice again.

     "I suppose I cannot complain too much," he said, rubbing the back of his neck, "You have grown up into quite the man. And, if this is the life you would have, then I guess I have no choice but to accept what you've chosen for yourself. I must apologize as well. To all of you."

Hunter's eyes swept around the room.

     "I even prepped myself this morning to bring up the matter rationally, but I wasn't expecting you to be here," he said to Eden, "It...it threw me off, and I reacted on my emotions instead. Naturally, I am horribly upset about what was done, but I just want things to be made right. It was never my intention to open old wounds, cause a massive rift, or break up the family that had only just gotten together."
     "It is alright. That's what I feel anyway," Eden accepted the apology, turning to Jungle and Field who thought about the matter briefly before tentatively giving silent acknowledgment that they were willing to give the situation a restart, "We can talk about this better in a moment, but I want to do something that I had just suggested we do before you arrived."


Jungle and Field knew what he was getting at, but Hunter and I were left in the dark until Eden grabbed from his bag his camera. To be honest, it was awkward standing around waiting for him to get it set up when we went outside. Though on the neutral side of things like Eden was, I didn't have as much of a grasp on how I should be the bridge between the two sides. Jungle, Field, and Hunter were too wary of each other to stand close. I decided to talk to Hunter more about his book to fill in the silence when my parents started whispering to each other quietly. Eden was definitely the one who saved the day. His attitude warned that there were going to be no arguments lest his wrath was brought out. The older adults accepted the situation when he moved everyone into position. I managed to put a genuine smile on my face for the photo when I realized what a remarkable day this had been. I had met my parents, and, miraculously, now bother of Eden's parents were going to be in his life as well.

When I looked at the picture that was taken in the following days and weeks, all I could remember was that relatively awkward moment. However, as those days and week passed and passed, as all serious matters were discussed, as feelings were shared, as bonds were patched up and forgiveness given- the feelings in that photo shifted. The situation was perfect by no means and there was still more work to do, but there was no denying that what was captured on that day proved what we had the potential to be. After years and years of struggles and hardships, a family.
4 comments on "Gen One- Chapter Forty Four"
  1. I can't make a super long comment like normal cause I'm on vacation.

    <3

    I'm ridiculously happy that Ethereal got to meet her parents and that they love her. I laughed all the way through Hunter's introduction because for some reason I started reading it in "Tela Novela" voice. I'm glad Eden has a father figure, even if its so late in his life. Maybe he can help Eden find the next great use for his mind.

    Looking forward to next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're having fun!
    Hopefully I'll be able to get a vacation soon too ^^

    The ending is coming out much happier than I would ever normally make it XD Although, I guess TGO did come out with a perfect happy ending too. It just happened at the last second instead of everything being more drawn out like it is here XD

    I am not aware of what this Tela Novela voice is. I tried looking it up, but I don't think I found what you're referring to.

    Hunter playing a role in the story was another thing I never originally intended to add. Eden's dad was always meant to be a mystery that was never solved, but I once again couldn't pass up the opportunity to have fun :D I really am just making headaches for myself though- adding in more characters to keep track of and try and include XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tela Novela = Spanish soap opera

    (I'm spanish. They're great. Shush.)

    It was basically a dramatic pause after every reveal.

    "YOU THINK YOU KNOW HER." *Pause* "BUT YOU DO NOT. FOR YOU SEE..." *Pause* "EDEN, YOU ARE MY SON."

    Eden: *GASP!*

    All others: *GASP*

    Field: *Dramatic faint*

    Eden: MOTHER. NO!

    The above is basically what was going on in my head as I was reading that section the first time around. I enjoyed it greatly even after getting the silliness out of my system. Like I said before, I'm glad Eden has a father figure. I know you keep saying he was always okay with his relationship with Field and Jungle, but I think meeting Hunter is going to be a really good thing for him.

    Vacations are great. You should go on one. My sister had to travel to L.A. to meet a guy at a science university thing for a potential internship (she's 15), so we all just went with her to hit the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that she has met her parents - but I don't like them they have both basically dumped their children and don't really deserve them to be so pleasant with them!!
    Edens Dad turning up was funny - but it is good for him to finally know who his Dad is.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9