Top Social

The Happiest Girl in the World

...is what C-ute's new single "Sekaiichi HAPPY na Onna no Ko" translates out to. I'm a couple days behind posting this, but on the official C-ute youtube channel the MV for the new single was posted! You can watch it below:


Now I wasn't quite sure what I felt when I first heard this single by itself as a radio rip with no video to go along with it. I mean, I liked it, but I wasn't quite sure how well I liked it. All I could do was wait for the MV to come out to really make my decision about the song. Finally I get to say that this video made me enjoy the song a lot more! It's very much the typical, low-budget looking, H!P MV, but at the same time it has caught my attention so much that I find myself watching it multiple times a day.

But to get more detailed let us take a look at each thing separately.

First up is the song itself, and we'll compare it to their other recent single Momoiro Sparkling. Instantly this song is already an improvement to me because of the inclusion of real instruments instead of the synthesized fluff of MS. Then the thing that makes me like HAPPY more is the downgrade of cuteness in this single. Yes, I know. A group whose name is C-ute is expected to have their music on the adorable side. I know not everyone may feel these way, but I think there is a limit to how much cuteness you can put into a song. I think that MS is too cute. It's like I'm having it shoved down my throat (I should mention here that while it may seem like I'm ragging on Momoiro Sparkling I do actually like it). HAPPY gives you cuteness, but it's not overbearing. 

I think my favorite part(s) in the song is Airi and Maimi's fast signing parts, and especially the first one done by Airi. It's starts at around 1:06-1:07 in the video. I don't know, but just the way she sings it makes it really stick out to me. Another thing I really like is the direction C-ute is taking with fair line distribution. I am a gigantic Airi fan so I haven't really complained when I've listened to their old songs and my ears have so much Airi-goodness to take it, but I also noted how vastly unfair it was to the other members how sometimes they didn't even get one solo line. Recently however, Chisato has started to be pushed forward, and now Saki and Mai are getting equal attention now as well. That makes for a happy Kelsey.

(I guess I should point out who is who for those who don't know:
Red= Maimi Yajima, who is the leader
Pink= Airi Suzuki, <3
Green= Chisato Okai
Blue= Saki Nakajima
Yellow= Mai Hagiwara)

((*Random note: When I was adding the Japanese names to my Firefox dictionary for Maimi's name it suggested "maim" and for Nakajima it suggested "nakedness" O.O! Creepy))

Now about the MV itself. Like I mentioned before, it definitely has that typical, low-budget, H!P feel to it. However I really like how in MS and now in HAPPY they've started to change things a little. Instead of just a dance shot and close-ups of the girls singing we're now getting these other side shots like the girls setting up the books which they eventually push over to get a collapsing "HAPPY". I think that was really creative and really added something extra. I think the dresses are adorable and I want their shoes so badly! While green is my favorite color, I have to say that Saki really stood out in her blue this time. I don't know what exactly it is with that hue they picked, but for me she seemed to have this glow around her or something, especially in her close-up shots.

Then the last thing I want to mention is the set. I do like it, but I feel that it's very boring. If you take a look at Maji Desu ka Ska and Momoiro Sparkling it is easy to tell they were all shot in the same place. That's to be expected of course; for why would they use a different studio for every single? My problem is that you can tell it's the same place. I feel like each MV should have its own place that it takes us to that is unique and interesting, not "Oh that's the same place they used in (insert single here), they just changed the flooring and background a little." I would have liked the set more if they had put more emphasis on the girls' room. I know we're supposed to focus on the girls when they're sitting in their own space, but I feel as if the rooms are very bare. I mean Airi's "room" just has a lamp and some pillows. The rest is just empty space that I don't think is very aesthetically pleasing. But nonetheless I think the idea is nice, and for the most part it works.

So overall I really enjoyed this single, and I think that C-ute did a really good job. Now I'm hoping we'll get some more stuff like Kiss Me Aishiteru. Sexy C-ute is a good C-ute, and I think it's a good direction for them to shift to now that the girls are getting older.

You will be able to buy this single from iTunes next month or you can preorder the real thing here.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9