Top Social

Gen Four- Chapter One


One of the most difficult questions I've ever attempted to answer in my life is one many have pondered...what does it mean to be a good person? Or, likewise, what does it mean to be a bad person? I've known people I believed to be good who turned out to be absolute monsters. There are those who the world shuns as horrible when all I've ever known from them is kindness. Can a lifetime of repentance undo the worst of crimes? Can one terrible action dissolve every honorable act done until then?

I don't have an answer after all this time. Honestly, I don't think it's a question that can be answered. All one can do is take a look at the situation before them and judge to the best of their ability with their heart and mind. Such a conclusion was a long time in the making. It was during the late summer in my tenth year when I first had to ponder that above question, but it's probably best to go back a little before that. I'll start with a certain Friday. A day with a bright sun, lively early summer breeze, and moment after moment of subtle changes to my stagnant life.


I started it much like the others. Two alarms prompted me up. The first to wake me from slumber and a second twenty minutes later so I could lay there in a peaceful, dozy quiet just daydreaming and imagining. I stretched for ten minutes before dressing, ate breakfast with my dad and grandpa, and moseyed my way to the river. A ten minute walk from the house, on a clear day where the morning fog chose to stay at bay I could squint west to see the bridge of the only road I knew. If I looked east, the river wound until it rounded a hill and disappeared into the unknown. I'd tried to walk down there once, but dad hadn't liked that.

     "Ohhh, it's freezing."

I shivered when I first stepped in. The water remained frigid and icy, being from the snowcaps from the nearby mountains melted in the spring. I should have known better, I'd chosen to come into the river at this time every year, but I couldn't help myself. There was just this sensation that I could let the water carry me off to somewhere new and fantastical. I did know of the world that existed beyond these woods. Dad said it was too dangerous for us to be a part of it, but I hoped one day that danger would fade.


I walked around creating tiny swirls with my fingertips and squelching my toes between the silky mud. The water rippled around my legs always pulling, always luring, but I walked against it deciding my own path. With closed eyes I listened to the river's melody chiming in harmony with the wind and distant birdsong. One couldn't ask for a better peace.

My good time was lasting too long though.

     "Shoot!" I panicked when I glanced at my watch.

The river clung to me, and yet I dashed forward desperate to be free. I ignored the cold tingle of my chilled legs and bolted home. That ten-minute walk could be made into a several minute run with enough determination. And, boy, did I have determination. I'm sure if I'd been watching myself I would have seen nothing but a blur. It was already nine minutes past the latest time I could stay out. My feet pounded against the lush grass where I soon made it to 'The Bump', as I liked to call it. Our house sat within a bump-like hill in the shape of a horseshoe.


The need to breathe didn't return until the house came into view. I only remembered that I required air, however, because my lungs froze spotting dad standing at the front door. His pacing stopped when he saw me in the corner of his eye where he proceeded to stand and sarcastically talk to himself.

     "Twelve minutes late. That's worse than last time. I guess I didn't warn her enough."
     "Dad, I'm here! My watch didn't-"
     "If she's twelve minutes late when she promised not to be late again, would that mean twelve punishments would suffice?"
     "Dad." I frowned at his teasing, walking right up to him.
     "No, no. That doesn't have the right feel. Hmm...her new Koalamb plushie just arrived."
     "It did!?"
     "Sending it back would send a message."
     "No, no, no! Daddy, please! It wasn't my fault!"

I clutched onto his jacket and tugged vigorously.


He finally glanced down at me.

     "Oh?" he questioned.
     "It wasn't," I pouted. "I set the alarm on my watch as always, I swear. It didn't go off though. I think the battery is dying."
     "That might be a contributor to why you were late, but it is still on you to keep an eye on the time."
     "I..."

He was right. My head hanging, I accepted defeat. The promise I made to be better with my schedule hadn't been taken as seriously as it should have. It wasn't that I was typically late. Quite the opposite, in fact. I seemed to simply be encountering some back luck the past several weeks though with random things slowing me down.

Dad put his finger under my chin to lift my gaze up to meet his.

     "I won't send your Koalamb plushie back. However, this is the last warning. I mean it."
     "I got it. Thank you, daddy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I hugged him tightly.

After grandpa, dad was the biggest softie. A sad face and cute pout easily manipulated him. Then there was the fact that he was understandable and reasonable too. Shipping things outside of the normal groceries and toiletries took a while considering our situation and isolated location. Sending the plushie back before eventually getting it again would be more of a punishment for dad dealing with the logistics than it would for me.

     "Make sure you keep an eye on your ribbons too. They're coming loose. Don't want to lose your pink," he reminded me. His fingers expertly tightened the ribbons at the bottom of my braids.
     "I won't ever lose them. Don't worry," I promised.

The two of us did our best to always wear some pink in honor of my mom.


I scurried inside to get ready to leave. We would all be late thanks to me, but the amount of tardiness could still be mitigated somewhat. I thought that, but I still took a detour to grandpa's room.

     "Ah, so you've returned." Grandpa turned off his computer's monitor as he greeted me. Probably working on one of his projects for work, I'm sure.
     "My watch's alarm didn't go off."
     "I see. You should be going to your room to change though, not coming in here."
     "But I wanted to quickly show you this."

I pulled from my pocket a white stone I found in the mud. Still a little wet, I held it to the light where a lightly transparent surface shined soft flecks of rainbow underneath. Collecting stone like such was one of my hobbies. There was something about these pieces of earth that appeared humble and plain when dry but came to life with just a splash of water. Dad didn't care much for them, but grandpa shared my enthusiasm.

     "It's like that one I found last fall. I was thinking you could have this one so we each have one."
     "That's sweet of you, little bean." Grandpa pulled me in for a hug and took the rock. "I will gladly have it, thank you. I'll put it right next to your picture."
     "When are you going to change that?"
     "Don't like it?"
     "It's not that, but you've just had it up for so long. They're always pictures of me too. Why not have one of dad?"
     "You're far cuter."
     "That's fair," I laughed.
     "We'll take a new one soon, how about that? For now, hurry up and change. You've got gym today."
     "I know. So glad I had to sprint the whole way back here."
     "Guess you got a good warm up, huh?" grandpa chuckled.


After that, he ushered me off. I walked from his bedroom past the surveillance room. There were cameras that monitored the house and surrounding area. For protection, dad said. I didn't think much of the dangers that lurked far off on the horizon when I went by though. I just though of the cool technology in that room. Dad didn't let me go in. I only saw glimpses when he had co-workers or managers over and they went in there to work.

At the end of the hallway were the stairs. Down the stairs led to the basement. My room was there, although the space was originally meant to be our bunker. We could hide there in the event the dangers did come for us. The metal of the first door was practically unbreakable while the bullet-proof glass could become opaque when needed. The awesome bookshelf door had been recently upgraded. The whole thing used to have to move. Now one half slid into the other. It was faster and provided a smaller chance of access for anyone unwanted trying to get in.

Despite the fun technology and the clear fact dad wanted me down here to keep me well-protected, I loved the basement because it used to be my mom's haven. This was the space dad crafted specially for her, although that was obvious by all the pink. I could tend to the plants in the corner knowing she'd once cared for them. I could sit on the couch knowing she'd once sat there, although we'd re-stuffed and reupholstered the cushions twice.


Other changes had been made over the years. The kitchen area had been modified, and a large mirror and ballet barre had been installed for me. The biggest change was my bedroom. It'd been pink to match the living space, but dad said the carpet got a terrible stain that prompted it to be replaced. Knowing in advance the area would become my room, he adjusted most of the rest of it as well. Thankfully, dad had been wise enough to keep some pink here and there.

I changed in a flash before wondering why I did. I would be changing as soon as we arrived, so what was the point in switching out of my play clothes? Oh well. I checked my ribbons again before hurrying back up the stairs.


Grandpa had the car going when I made it outside. Dad somehow ended up being the last out of the house, so I stole the front seat. He grumbled but slid into the back without hesitation. The house and The Bump quickly passed from sight as we went down the hill. A few moments of winding throughout the ridges brought us to and over the bridge where several birds rest on the guard rails. Ten minutes later, we were almost to the building.

     "Dad?" I wondered.
     "Yes?"
     "Can we walk one day instead of driving?"
     "Why do you want to do that?"
     "I don't know. It's just such a peaceful path. It'd be nice to change things up as well."
     "It would take a lot longer than expected," grandpa explained. "Walking back would be exhausting once the day is done too."
     "But maybe just once? I could go by myself."
     "And leave you to the bears?" dad said.
     "You always say that, but I've never seen a bear around here," I huffed.
     "Because I make sure you don't go where the bears are," dad smirked.


Needless to say, I didn't get permission to walk either with dad and grandpa or alone. I stashed the request for another day. Steadily asking over time generally pushed the two closer and closer into doing what I wanted. The key was to not ask so frequently as to annoy them.

One last corner rounded brought the building in sight. Grandpa drove us through security where we parked in our normal spot before crossing the parking lot and entering. The red always overwhelmed me. This was one of the Company's research offices, dubbed the Scarlet Dawn office. Hence all the red. It made everything mesh together, but dad explained that was part of the purpose for the uniform walls and lack of decoration outside the individual rooms and offices. Any of the bad people who tried to come in would rapidly grow confused while those who were supposed to be here knew how to navigate the building. It was a common tactic in all Company offices. I would like a few more windows though.

     "Good morning, Timber. Russet. Nutmeg," the receptionist greeted us in turn.
     "Morning, Mr. Nimbus!" I bounded up to the counter.
     "I'll run your scan through as fast as I can. Running a little late again?"
     "My fault," I piped up before dad or grandpa could say anything.

Mr. Nimbus smiled and nodded understandingly. He clicked the mouse a few times and pressed a few buttons. The front doors had special scanners installed to detect anything the Company didn't want coming in.

     "You're all clear. The scan is showing the power level in your watch is really low though, Nutmeg. You'll want to replace the battery soon."
     "I know," I sighed while grandpa chuckled.

Mr. Nimbus hit several more buttons, and the stone barrier gate on our right opened with a 'whoosh' to let us past. I shuffled to let dad and grandpa go first. That allowed Mr. Nimbus and I to continue our tradition. He subtly snuck a lollipop from his stash into my hand after the other two passed by.


Dad and grandpa left me with a brief hug and kiss as they went to change into their uniforms while I rushed to the pool. A ridiculous idea crossed my mind that Mrs. Fragant could also be late, yet there she stood looking annoyed and impatient.

     "This is the second time this week, and it's worse than the first," she rebuked, folding her arms.
     "I know. I'm sorry," I apologized. Excuses or reasons, no matter how justified, only irritated her worse. Mrs. Fragrant was okay until she was upset or her instructions weren't followed. Then she got stern and threw out any sympathy.
     "I thought you wanted to join the diving expedition?"
     "I do! I've been working really hard at home!"
     "It doesn't matter how hard you work if you don't have my approval. I'm giving up other opportunities to be your teacher, and wasting my time won't get me on your side."
     "I really am sorry. I'll be on time. Promise."

Ms. Fragrant gave me a good stare, pondered the matter, and relaxed a little.

     "I'll hold you to that. Go on and get changed then."
     "Right!"

Off I dashed into the nearby locker room.


The pool, like everything here, was a Company experiment. The floor was synthetic moss that was super absorbent, required low maintenance, and purified the air in great amounts. The pool water used unique chemicals that kept the water clean while being far less harsh than chlorine and had fewer harmful impacts on the environment. It was if one was jumping into a freshwater lake.

     "Start with five laps for warm-up," Ms. Fragrant instructed.
     "No problem," I boasted.

I dove in with expert form and great enthusiasm. After years and years of asking, I finally had the opportunity to go outside what I knew. The Company was having a diving expedition for its beginner recruits. The location was far down south in underground caves known as cenotes. I'd get to leave the forest, fly in a plane, meet new people, and if I was extremely lucky, see a bit of the outside world. The expedition required me to be in tip-top shape though in addition to being a strong swimmer. I spent most afternoons in our pool at home practicing until my lungs nearly burst.


Ms. Fragrant pushed me too. Five laps was nothing compared to the rest of the workout. We varied between more laps, treading water, holding my breath, and retrieving dive toys within set time limits. Air never tasted so sweet as when the hour was up, and I had my forty-five minute break to shower, dry off, change, and relax. The track room sat next to the pool. I found a surprise when my teacher and I walked in.

     "Oh, dad," I remarked, seeing him climbing.
     "Hey, Meg," he smiled back from his spot halfway up one of the rock walls.
     "Our group is short on people today, so I asked your dad if he would help me in our trials with our monitoring equipment," Ms. Damson explained.
     "I don't see any equipment."
     "It's under here," dad patted his shirt.
     "Ohhh."
     "Alright, you, that's enough distraction. Start your running," Ms. Fragrant pushed my back lightly. "Begin with ten laps."

I reluctantly staggered into a light jog that slowly became an acceptable run. This was way less fun for me than swimming. Ms. Fragrant also had me do things like several laps of squats and lunges. Such was the reason gym classes typically happened on Fridays. I needed the weekend to recover from the soreness.

     "Can I climb too?" I requested towards the end of the hour.
     "It's fine with me if you have some leftover time. You can't skip class to climb, of course," dad shrugged.
     "How many more laps do I have before I'm done, Ms. Fragrant?"

She instantly smirked playfully, and I cringed.

     "You're really determined to go on the expedition. You'd normally only have two left, but I say add another thirty."
     "Thirty?" I balked before frowning. "Daddy!"
     "I don't disagree," he also smiled impishly.
     "Aaagh! You're both so mean!" I cried.

My feet pounded harder against the track. Thirty-two more laps in fifteen minutes? There was no way.

     "At least you have a chance," dad fruitlessly encouraged after jumping down and standing nearby as I passed. "If you had inherited your mother's athleticism genes, well...she actually didn't have many of those."

He chuckled lovingly when I sped by with gritted teeth and eyes glinting stubbornly.


Despite my best effort, I couldn't finish in time. I finished an impressive twenty-seven more laps, but the new hour arrived. I huffed and wheezed as I slunk to the locker room to change, entering the office area covered in sweat and a heart pounding in irritation of its denied cool-down.

     "Nutmeg, are you alright?" Mr. Mint questioned with an alarmed frown when I half-collapsed into my chair.
     "Ms. Fragrant has a terrible sense of humor," I coughed.
     "Would you like some water?"
     "Yes, please."

Mr. Mint scurried off and returned quickly with a tall glass of delightful, cold water. I downed it in no time at all. He watched and clearly wanted to ask more but let me just breathe for a few minutes. Compared to Ms. Fragrant, I could completely relax around Mr. Mint. He was the one I was with most of the time here as he was my main teacher. Classes were held in the smaller office in the section in which dad worked. Each group had their own area and rooms that were separated by key card access doors as most projects were confidential between the groups. Mr. Mint used to work in one of those other areas, but he'd been allowed to make a space in just this one office in order to instruct me.

     "I was going to start us off with some writing exercises, but why don't we start with math first?"
     "You're the best, Mr. Mint."

Dad said most students at normal schools hated math. I loved it.


Today, he combined it with a bit of astronomy.

     "Does The Company have any space related programs?" I asked as he drew charts and diagrams on the board.
     "I have not directly heard about any, but it'd be nearly impossible to find a subject we do not dabble in," Mr. Mint smiled.
     "Do you think that space program actually goes to space?"
     "Hmm, probably."
     "Do you think The Company does way more intense diving programs than the one I'm going to?"
     "I thought your inclusion for that remained tentative?" he grinned wider. "But, once more, probably. Why do you ask?"
     "Trying to figure out what I want to do mostly. I have a few talents and do well at most things I practice, but I don't know what I should strive for."
     "If there's anything I learned from my wishes constantly changing growing up, I'd recommend to keep some things in mind but not to stress too greatly. You have plenty of time, and you never know what will pop up to catch your interest. I didn't think I'd ever want to teach."
     "Yeah..." I nodded slowly.

Mr. Mint continued with the lesson not catching my gradual descent into a soft somberness. I fiddled with my braids, a tell for either nervousness or sadness, until I gathered some courage when the lesson was almost done.

     "Did you know my mom?" I put into the quiet air.
     "I..." Mr. Mint frowned, off-put. "I've just been working here the past five years."

It was his gentle way of saying 'You know I didn't, and I'm confused as to why you're asking when you know that.'

     "It's that," I mumbled, "I've been thinking about her a lot more since I turned ten. Dad mentioned during gym that she wasn't athletic and I am."
     "Does he not talk about her?"
     "No, he does. He tells me things when I ask. But...well, I don't know. No matter how much he says it never feels enough. Like I always have a blindfold on one eye even though both eyes work..."
     "Hey, you're not as bad at similes as you think," Mr. Mint joked weakly. "I'm sorry, Nutmeg. I wish I could tell you about her, but I can't."
     "It's okay. I really don't know why I asked," I shook my head.
     "You can always ask me anything."


After smiling encouragingly, Mr. Mint announced we'd be moving into Literature and Writing. I groaned, and he tried not to laugh. There was one nice thing about this class though. That was my permitted use of The Company's holo-comps. Short for holographic-computer, of course. Dad had some in the surveillance room at home, but, again, I wasn't allowed in there.

     "I love this project. I get to do so much research about all the things I don't get to be a part of," I spoke sardonically as Mr. Mint erased the board.
     "You'll get out there one day, I'm sure. Years have a way of making memories fade. The reasons you can't leave now will dissipate in time."
     "It's not like I'm known though. It's grandpa and dad who were framed. If I went on a trip with someone else..."
     "Your father just wants to keep you safe."
     "Yeah," I had to shrug in acknowledgment. My eyes then narrowed bringing up a new web-page. "Although, I guess I should also appreciate what I don't have to deal with. This whole news site is littered with articles of crimes. Having to hear about abuse, corruption, and murders everyday is why I hate doing these current event essays. Not so much because I have to write."
     "Bad news sells more than good news does, unfortunately," Mr. Mint sighed in exasperated bitterness.


I did my best to scroll through the endless depression until I found an article that seemed acceptable. However, I pressed on the link only for the holo-comp to suddenly shudder, go dark, and plummet to the ground. The things were still experimental for a reason. Mr. Mint moved me onto something else for the time being, and time flowed effortlessly in his lessons like normal. Most days I studied with him all day. Two days out of the week though I worked with dad. If I could work only with dad, however, that would be great.

Standing and watching as Ms. Cranberry input her desired settings into the analyzer, I excitedly waited for it to be my turn to do something. The chance came after the information on the screens flashed green. I hit the fast-start long-cycle setting, choosing a high variance

     "Don't just push whatever you want!" Ms. Cranberry snapped.
     "I'm not," I tried not to argue. "This is just the next step in the sequence, and this is my part I do."
     "You wait until I tell you to press anything. The last thing we need is you screwing something up."
     "We've run this part of the analysis ten times now. I think I know what I'm doing."
     "You think you can do this all by yourself?" Ms. Cranberry challenged snootily.
     "I didn't say that."
     "Then don't do anything until I tell you to."
     "Where was I wrong?" I began to snap.
     "Listen, brat"
     "Listen, witch"
     "Girls," dad interjected.

He took as much of a glance away from his work as he could to give us both a hard stare. I pouted hard back as I'd hardly done anything wrong, Ms. Cranberry forever treated me horribly, but dad just rebuked me more sternly with that parental glare of his.


The anger bubbling in my chest needed a distraction. I wandered away from Ms. Cranberry to step around the analyzer where dad worked with Mr. Gneiss. My dad's co-worker did not look too happy.

     "Does it feel bad?" I asked.
     "No. If anything, it's like someone's massaging my head. The real reason I've avoided my turn in this thing up until now..." Mr. Gneiss trailed off.
     "Yeah?"
     "It's a stupid phobia of mine."
     "A phobia of what?"
     "A hair stylist's dryer chair."
     "Huh?" I tilted my head.
     "Crumble, she's never been to a hair stylist," dad reminded him as he took more notes.
     "Oh, right. But you know what a hair salon is, right?"
     "I do," I confirmed.
     "Basically, there are chair with domes not dissimilar in shape to this thing that help dry hair. I was having my hair done using one of those, and it burned me badly. I keep expecting my head to abruptly explode with pain."
     "Oh, I see."
     "Hand down, Crumble. For the dozenth time, if you stick you hand in, you'll ruin the results and we'll have to start over."
     "Sorry," Mr. Gneiss slumped down after retreating his hand from where it'd been inching to check that his nice, long hair remained undamaged.

Mr. Gneiss and I continued to talk in order to keep his nerves in check. I liked him a lot. I didn't mind Mr. Plantain, the other worker in dad's group, but he didn't like idle chatter when he required concentration. That was all the time when he was on-shift.

     "Lunch today is dim sum," Mr. Plantain announced not long before lunch. The menu was never posted until several hours into the work day, and because of all the protocols about preventing needless wandering it made getting the food announcement difficult. He always managed to get it before mealtime came though.
     "Yay!" I cheered. "Dad, can we eat outside?"
     "Only if we hurry with cleanup so some spots remain open."


Spots outside rarely ran out, but the weak threat of such happening always motivated me to move faster. The analysis room was put back together and scrubbed down in no time. Dad and I were even one of the first in line in the cafeteria, and grandpa arrived not long afterwards. Grandpa typically packed lunches for us as the prepared meals wouldn't always be the healthiest, but Fridays were the day we ate whatever was served.

     "I've got an announcement," grandpa began only once my mouth was stuffed full.
     "Whaff?" I asked.
     "Manners, young lady," dad chided with a little chuckle, tapping his finger under my chin to get me to close my mouth.
     "Sorry," I said after swallowing. "What's your announcement, grandpa?"
     "We're starting something new in my group, and the higher-ups decided to send me on the business trip we need to get it off the ground."
     "Is that safe?" My mouth dropped open. This was the first time he or dad had ever been given a thumbs-up in leaving the area.
     "It must be if they were adamant I go. To be honest, it's going to be a great relief to see new scenery."
     "Make sure to get lots of souvenirs for those of us still trapped here," dad teased.
     "Yes, lots!" I agreed.
     "Of course," grandpa laughed.


Mostly joking, mostly, I wrote down a list of all I needed from him. He was way worse than dad at spoiling me, so the likelihood of getting nearly the entire list was high.

     "Can you tell us anything about the trip?" dad eventually wondered.

Since grandpa worked in a different group, it meant we knew very little about what he did.

     "Hmm, not really. All I can say is I'll be leaving on Sunday, and I'll be back on Saturday."
     "There's not even one tiny detail?" I prodded.
     "No." Grandpa gave me a look that said he knew I was joking but not to push it.
     "I actually have an announcement for you too," dad spoke to me to quell my disappointment.
     "You do?"
     "Yes. All the testing and analyzing we've been doing has finished up the first stage of the project. We're going to be having the grand entrance into the second phase after lunch, and I received permission for you to have an important role helping us out."
     "What? Really!? That's awesome!" I beamed.
     "'Thanks, dad' would also be an appropriate response," dad teased.
     "Thank you, the best daddy in the world."
     "You're welcome." Dad ruffled my hair.


Dim sum was nothing compared to this news. I lost interest in my food just wanting the next shift to start. Dad got me eating again by reminding me how quickly we got our food. I needed something to take up my time, and having lunch was the best I could do. It was clear by the expression he wore by the end of the hour that he wished he'd waited to tell me his announcement. I bounced in my seat and fiddled as if tomorrow was Christmas. How could I stay still though? The vast majority of my assistance with dad's work was standing around watching or getting to push a few buttons with Ms. Cranberry getting on my case for breathing. Dad wouldn't lie about the beginning of the next phase being grand, and he wouldn't tell me whatever role I'd been given was important if it wasn't.

     "I'm going to go to the bathroom and then get ready!" I alerted dad and grandpa ten minutes before lunch ended.

I couldn't sit quiet any longer, so I jumped up and ran off before either could stop me. The rush of movement satisfied some of the adrenaline rush my excitement caused.


Naturally, I'd been warned not to run in the hallways. The adults simply didn't like it in addition to there being other factors like me running into people when I bolted around the corners like a bull. Such was prone to happen in this case where the lunch hour had employees wandering more frequently than normal. My logical part of my brain must have predicted a collision, for my muscles squeezed and forced me to a halt with impressive speed upon spotting another body heading my way.

     "Oh, I'm sor"

I froze as much as the worker did when we recognized each other. My tension relaxed, but his only increased. His eyes nervously darted this way and that, refusing to meet mine.

     "Oh," I began once more unsure of what to do. "Hi, Mr. Sterling."
7 comments on "Gen Four- Chapter One"
  1. It's a great first chapter. It's good to see that Timber was telling the truth when he said that Sterling wasn't dead. I wondered about that at the end of the previous generation. Nutmeg is cute. I like the pink hair ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!

    I'm glad that patiently waiting has paid off, I'm looking forward to reading through Nutmeg's generation. The intro foreshadows some interesting conflicts in her future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @wsteffi30- Thank you! Sterling's fate and feeling about what happened have always been a super interesting idea bouncing around in my head. Unfortunately, I can't say if that is an aspect that will ever be explored, but I definitely wanted to showcase him at least once. I'm glad you like Nutmeg and her ribbons. I've been so ready to delve into her story.

    @Lime- Glad to be back! Thanks for sticking around :) A problem like my computer dying should never be an issue again, because I committed myself to do this project and will see it through for the long haul XD And definitely. Nutmeg's had a pretty stable life, but the world is about to tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so interesting to see the company in a neutral and even positive light! I know Nutmeg is being manipulated in some ways, but it also reminds me of Desire and Coal the firsts telling Coal the second about the positive things the company had accomplished. As much as I'm anxious to see our favorite characters in the outside world, Im also super intrigued to watch Nutmeg's world view and the inner mysteries of the company...or those a child can be privy to anyway.

    Welcome back!!! I've missed this blog terribly and will now be checking for new posts constantly once again. Ready for the Vivid line to continue onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The morally gray area The Company actually operates in is something I've wanted to dive in deeper with for a while. There've been definite hints and people shown before to prove it's not all terrible, and Nutmeg's view does allow that to be seen more properly. Her generation will move in a way I don't think most people will expect though, and I believe I mentioned before in previous comment at the end of Dianthus's arc that this arc will take a huge step back from the characters and places everyone knows. Nutmeg is obviously related to the main Vivid line, but the era of heirs with the Vivid name is over! *Dramatic Note*

    To confirm it, the story will update on Mondays as it did in the past. Chapter Two's release date is the 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait!! I'm excited for Nutmeg and to see how the Mountain line works out. I'll of course miss the characters we know and love but new faces and a fresh start will be really interesting. Love to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss the characters from the Vivid line but I'm very interested in seeing how the current line works out.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9