Top Social

Gen Three- Chapter Thirty Six


My eyelashes fluttered, and the sun creeping up through the window flashed light into my vision. I stirred, blinked several times before deciding to keep my eyes closed, and wondered of the weird angle of the intrusion. The sun never struck me right like that.

     "Good morning." Arbor mumbled a lazy, whispered, slurred greeted as his arms gently wrapped around my core embraced me a little tighter.

Oh. Right. I wasn't in my bedroom.

     "Have you been awake long?" I asked, my voice no more eloquent than his.
     "Not too long. About fifteen minutes, I think. I've just been enjoying this."

He snuggled closer still as if he was a young child and I his teddy bear, but it made me smile.

     "Do you know what time it is?"
     "Somewhere after nine."
     "It doesn't look that late."
     "We're high up, so I guess the sun hasn't hit us as much as normal."
     "Makes sense." I yawned.

Neither of us said anything more. I'm sure thoughts of mentioning that we should get up and get going danced in the back of Arbor's brain as it did mine. However, neither of us wished to give up the freedom we'd claimed. Even with sending out parents warnings, they likely wouldn't be pleased at the vague answer and delayed return to our homes. Arbor and I had to soak in what we had while we had it. With a few more hours to go before we had to check out, I saw no reason to prod us up. In truth, I also needed time to contemplate as the two of us lay there, skin on skin, the exhaustion of the previous night still clinging in the deep parts of my muscles. I felt and probed for a difference. Logic told me there was nothing about being with a person that should have any affect on who I was, and that logic was right. The only change I could find was that my embarrassment at being exposed to Arbor was gone. The night left me falling deeper in love, and with that the boundaries that caused hesitations on being close were shattered.


Eventually my body protested the late stay in bed. It wanted to get up and move, and the longer I ignored the promptings the more it made me ache and toss. The sun also rose to shine bright on our faces. With a groan from Arbor and a sigh from me, we finally slunk out of the covers. The question remained, however, of it we would stay out of them. Half of Arbor's clothes were downstairs, and I wasn't particularly speedy on putting my back on. Besides, what was the point of getting dressed if I had to get naked again?

     "I need to take a shower." I explained.

My typical schedule should have had me taking one last night, but, well...obviously, I'd been distracted. The stench that'd been allowed to sit overnight wasn't doing wonders for my nose now, and the last thing I wanted to do was go home with a tangible sign of my exploits. Arbor glanced up from where he'd been making the bed as he surely intended for a perfectly made collection of covers to be a deterrent for any more activity. It was useless.

     "I need to as well," he spoke, slipping against me again, "I should join you to save water."
     "I've heard it's actually quite uncomfortable to do anything in the shower." I laughed even as I leaned into his touch.
     "You always have to try things out for yourself though, right? It's never good to rely solely on other's opinions." he winked.
     "I suppose not." I laughed harder.

Arbor silenced my giggling with a determined kiss, and off we went into the bathroom.


All in all, the testing didn't go poorly. I would have rathered than not have by the time Arbor and I actually focused our attention on getting clean. We lounged about in towels afterwards watching television while drying off before finally finding our scattered pieces of clothing. Dressing left me calm and satisfied instead of leaving me disappointed as expected. Back in our clothes, Arbor and I standing together looked normal. We were normal. This was normal. Once again, I couldn't wait for the days to pass so this new thing we created could be our everyday.

     "So, it's agreed, we're heading to Cinnabar's for food before facing our parents?" Arbor postured once we left the hotel.
     "Yup. I've never gotten to try their breakfast menu, which we should still be able to get if we walk a little faster. It'll be a good, bolstering experience."

It was around 10:45 when he and I made our way down the street to find a place to fill our grumbling stomach. Cinnabar's was a more expensive restaurant, but given what I'd paid for that hotel room all bets were off when it came to splurging my money.

     "How do you think yours are going to react?" I wondered, mostly in amusement but also with some dread.
     "They'll definitely get on my case some about the lack of response even though I told them I'd be unavailable for an indefinite amount of time," Arbor chuckled, scratching behind his ear, "I don't think they'll be bothered about me spending a night out with you though. Last night just means that all their hard work on helping me get back on the right track in life paid off. They'll be over the moon, if anything. Willow, on the other hand, she's not going to give me a moment's peace with her teasing."
     "And that goes the same for Gilly, although she'll be more smug than taunting. I'll have to rally behind Blaze to avoid the stares and conversation my parents are going to give me. Mom will be the better one about it, and dad...I'm sure he'll try his best. I think they will focus on the sudden silence for the past twelve hours to avoid the awkwardness."
     "Maybe we should order more than normal so we can bring home some leftovers as an apology." Arbor suggested.
     "Sounds good."


I said that, and then balked at how much ordering extra would cost me. Arbor apologized as, having no job, he'd been able to offer no monetary help towards our overnight outing. He promised to pay me back as soon as he could, and the two of us stuck to ordering only what we wanted. Our late breakfast proved to be the best meal I'd had in ages. Arbor offered to walk me home, but he rescinded his offer at the same time I rejected it. That would just be a walk of shame of sorts. It would be better for us to face our families on our own first.

Except how my homecoming went was nothing like I imagined. Not that I could have ever imagined how the day would go. I stepped inside with great reluctance as I'd spotted what I was sure the whole family sitting around in the living room. My chest screamed a hope that they were only talking and not waiting for me. There was nothing I'd done that required an intervention from everyone in the house. I slipped inside as quietly as I could, but the soft chatter vanished anyway as soon as I closed the door.

     "Dia? Is that you?" mom called to me from around the corner.

She and dad both leapt up, and dad was the first one to reach me. He pulled me into a tight hug as if he couldn't believe I was real, which brought dread to the forefront of my emotions. Dad looked sick with worry, mom's face shouted hesitancy and fear, and the others sitting down could hardly muster even fake pleasant smile of greeting.

     "You guys did get my text, right? I sent one to you two and Gilly. At least one of them had to have gotten through even if one got messed up." I swallowed hard.
     "Yes, we got your text. You were out for the night, presumably with Arbor." mom replied.
     "Yeah," I nodded sheepishly, "Is that what this is about then?"
     "In a way. This is about Arbor."
     "Did someone die or something?" I had to ask.

My mind went to Mr. and Mrs. Thicket. Had something happened to them? Or Willow? Was Arbor walking home to find his whole life destroyed again?

     "No. No one's dead." dad reassured to put that worry to rest.


Dad released me from his death grip before giving me a quick kiss on the cheek and motioning for me to sit down next to grandpa. The tension in the air terrified me, and I despised how everyone glanced my way with reluctance, regret, and pity.

     "I'm really confused here," I explained firmly before anyone could say anything, and I glanced at mom and dad, "I can understand why you two would have some questions or concerns about me staying the night out with my boyfriend, but-"
     "That's not what this is about, Dia. While Coal and I would have liked a more specific explanation as to where you were and when you would be home, this has nothing to do with whatever Arbor and you choose to do last night." mom interrupted, trying to be a gentle.
     "...In a way." grandpa spoke up.
     "Okay, then what way is this about?" I demanded.

He took a long breath and released it slowly. His fingers fiddled with his wedding ring while an unfamiliar darkness glossed his stare on it.

     "As painful as it has been to leave so much of Ethereal in the past, I've been glad with each of those days that those struggles are being more and more forgotten. Specifically, the dangers. The ones that once loomed over us I believed would surely shrink away for good with enough time. Still, given certain circumstances," he touched his scar and dad reached for his eye reflexively, "There was the obvious warning that remnants of danger remained. Those we had protecting us after Ethereal and Eden broke out the truth have been protecting us still, even if the torch has been passed down a few times now. Those people have found no signs that The Company or anything like it has plans for the revenge they never really got. Until early this morning."
     "Seriously?" I questioned in disbelief.

Such things I, too, believed were long left in the past. The Company and its threat was more akin to a scary bedtime story than anything real.

     "Early this morning, they found a link that revealed Company activity has been worming its way back into our family for a while now." grandpa continued, struggling with each word.
     "How?"
     "Through Arbor and his parents."


Everyone stared at me awaiting my response. I only had eyes for grandpa, and I laughed.

     "Bullshit." I scoffed.
     "It's not, Dia." Blaze replied with a seriousness that sent my already tightening nerves crawling.
     "Its bullshit." I repeated with more of a snap.
     "I understand your reluctance to believe," grandpa said softly, smiling sadly when I hurriedly yanked my hand away when he went for it only to make his voice more rigid, more stern, "But...as someone who directly experienced all the stuff they teach you in your history books, you have to understand that I cannot sit here and let this be. Maybe it is a mistake. Maybe everything is Arbor's parents and not Arbor himself. Whatever it is, we'll find out. The truth will be discovered, but until then I'm not taking any chances of any of you being in danger."
     "Do you believe 'those people' could have made a mistake with all this then?" I growled.
     "No. No, I don't." grandpa admitted with a shake of his head.
     "Well, it is a mistake!" I rebuked, "It's all nonsense, and I won't accept it for a moment! This-"

Grandpa's phone ringing loudly interrupted my gathering rage of words about to spew out. I expected him to let the call pass as whoever was calling wasn't important to deal with during such a moment, but the call was indeed important. It was also more horrible news for me.

     "Hello, this is Amaranth," grandpa answered before listening and nodding along to whoever spoke, "Yes. Alright, thank you. Yes, please, as soon as you have information please hand it off to Tumble."

The short call ended with a polite goodbye, and grandpa had severe trouble meeting my glare again.

     "That was Officer Millet. They picked him up with no resistance on his part, and they'll start questioning him soon." he announced to the family.
     "Picked up who?" I asked darkly, and the silence from everyone was its own response, "You mean Arbor?"
     "Yes. His parents were taken into custody as soon as the link was found. However, we obviously had no idea where you two had gone off to, which was why we were so frightened with the sudden finding of their connection that they were putting a plan into motion that involved you," grandpa explained, "Thankfully it seems as if they weren't aware we were onto them. The police in the city were alerted to keep an eye out for Arbor, and they had some surveying around his house in case he came back. Officer Millet found him walking down the street."


I shot to my feet so rapidly that they echoed a loud thump across the room. Merlot squirmed- even now he was the worst of all of us handling tense situation. Everyone else fidgeted as well, and grandpa recoiled under my flaming glower of absolute hatred he surely never expected to have me throw his way.

     "Stop talking like that!" I half-shouted, "Stop acting as if they are guilty, because they're not! Arbor got himself beat up two nights ago for my sake! I specifically told him to leave them alone, so why the hell would he put himself in danger like that to keep up a lie?! He had nothing to prove!"

No one answered right away. It was because no one had any answers. Not really. Just beliefs and conjecture. Not the truth. Gilly finally stood after a moment, timid but determinedly pleading, probably thinking that because she was my twin that I would believe the lie more if it came for her.

     "I can't say why he did that, and I agree it doesn't make the most sense if he's been pretending to like you for some reason," she gulped when those words made me scowl harder, "But you have to think of everything else that doesn't make sense. Arbor got a pass on stealing grandpa's snow globe because his parents assured us there was no point at which he could have done so. If they're a part of this, then they naturally would have switched to lying once they saw Arbor could manipulate you into believing him. Maybe stealing the snow globe was testing our defenses and limits of forgiveness. Them being with The Company could also explain Arbor's dislike of Timber. You and Timber will never have feelings for each other, but Arbor could have not accepted that no matter how many times you told him the opposite. He could have seen Timber as a threat, which is why he drove a wedge whenever he could."
     "I feel like I have to mention the cat killings as well," dad spoke up with a sigh, "They start suspiciously with the Thickets arrival to Berrybrook, and having Company connections would have allowed them to get Arbor off the hook when he screwed up and had those people see him running away from the one scene. The killings also ended suspiciously once the consequences reached us, presumably the main target."
     "Arbor was with me half the times those killings happened!" I protested.
     "Then it was Cliff or Jewel doing it then, I suppose." dad shrugged.
     "That's BULLSHIT!" I shouted as loud as I could now, " It's all bullshit, bullshit, BULLSHIT!"


Merlot looked on the verge of tears. Gilly too. I ran away before anyone could see mine. My first instinct almost had me dashing out the front door to burst into each of the police stations until I found Arbor and his parents so I could get them out of this mess, but my still stupidly rational brain dashed me upstairs knowing that would make everything worse. I nearly dislocated my shoulder slamming the door to the spare room closed. No way did I want go into the empty bedroom that would only remind me of the plans for the move that now had to be shattered beyond repair. Would mom and dad let Gilly and me leave if they thought danger lurked overheard? Did I even want to move anymore if I had to leave Arbor behind to deal with this nonsense on his own?

Because it was nonsense. I sat myself down in the corner hidden behind the desk and pulled my knees to my chest where the tears rolled down my cheeks freely. Just the simple fact of thinking that everything about Arbor was a lie stung enough to take away my every breath, but it was that the rest of my family actually believe that falsity which pooled the tears from my eyes. If The Company was trying to get revenge and they were doing it through the Thickets' assistance, then they were so stupid it hurt. What kind of plan would they be pulling off going about it as they had? Arbor was an ass when I first met him. We never would have interacted if I hadn't been the one to step up and continue to work at it after Arbor kept me at bay time and time again. And what of the horrors Arbor went through when he was ten? Was that meant to be a lie as well? A ploy to tug on my sympathies? Such a story, the tattoos, Arbor leaving overseas...it was too much for a ruse. No one was that good of a liar either.


Unfortunately, there was a counter for every argument I made. That worked in both directions. The mysterious and contradictions my family posed against the Thickets did make sense on some level. I worked them over, coming up with a counter-proposal only to counter my counter. Nothing made sense no matter how much I refused to agree with whatever evidence had connected Arbor and his family with The Company. They were innocent. Everyone else was wrong.

     "Dia?" mom's voice came from the other side of the door.

It'd been ten minutes or so. Longer than I anticipated before someone dared to come find me. Still wanting nothing to do with my family for the moment, I pushed up against the desk more and silenced all my sniffles. Mom opened the door a split second later.

     "Dianthus?" she called my name again.

The absolute fear in her voice at not finding me broke my heart. She'd probably already checked my room, and to supposedly have me go missing right now had to be her worst nightmare.

     "I'm here." I mumbled, peeking my head out.

As if my face wasn't already a mess, my cheeks flamed with embarrassment. What an awkward position for her to find me in. It brought me back to the times when I was a young child and would find a place such as this to hide in when upset. Perhaps that was why mom smiled nostalgically when she sat down next to me.

     "Dad gave him a thumbs up yesterday for getting in a fight to protect my honor, and now he's sitting there acting as if he knew all along that he was a traitor," I growled through my tears, "Arbor has nothing to do with The Company. You can't tell me it's all a lie when he was how he was with me last night."
     "I'm sorry, baby. We went about telling you the situation completely wrong, and I see that now. Please forgive us. We were just so terrified you were hurt or gone, and for people like Coal and your father this situation is especially stressful. Tensions are too high, and we're all acting poorly on our emotions. I only want to keep you safe, but with what obviously did go on with you and Arbor last night slamming everything at you like we did the instant you got home didn't do any of us any good. I really am sorry."
     "Do you believe it is true? That the Tickets are part of The Company?" I sniffled miserably.
     "I don't want it to be true. Not in the slightest. But...I don't know what I believe. It makes sense, and yet it doesn't make sense."
     "Mmm." I mumbled.

I couldn't say anything else lest I lose my cool again at her indecision. Mom didn't deserve that when she was just being honest. I simply cried and let the pain flow until my eyes went dry and my throat went hoarse.


Mom left me to clean my face up in the bathroom. I contemplated taking a shower as I felt disgusting until I remembered it'd only been a few hours since I last bathed. How different the world already felt. All it'd taken was several hours for the peaceful morning spent with Arbor to no longer feel real. Then I finally made it into my bedroom. Now I wanted to scream instead of cry. The empty space drove me crazy imagining my suddenly broken future. With six days left until the move, I wondered, for the first time ever, if I wanted to stay on the path I made for myself. If I had to spend a semester, a year fighting alongside Arbor to prove his innocence, I would do it. Wasting time and delaying what had always come first before was nothing compared to dooming him.

I putzed about for a while with nothing to distract me. Everything had been sent ahead for Uncle Prism, Ember, and all those guys to begin unpacking for us. I didn't have my computer. I couldn't watch television. I had my cellphone, but it was filled with concerned texts and messages I couldn't stand to go through and delete to get them out of my way right now. My wish was not to have everything I looked at remind me of the horrible day this was.

     "Mind if I come in?" Gilly tentatively slipped inside when I was left with nothing to do but stare out the window.
     "Of course," I managed whatever I could of a smile for her sake, "It's your room too."
     "I know, but if you need alone time I have no problem going somewhere else."
     "It's alright." I motioned her in.

She shuffled to my side. Although glancing my way, Gilly found it difficult to say anything.

     "I'm sorry I got upset. I know you were worried," I apologized quietly, "But, it's all just...I, Arbor..."

Despite being unable to produce any more tears, my voice choked up.

     "Gil, I asked him if he would marry me someday. He said he was planning on it."


My sister moved closer, wrapping one hand around my arm and hovering over my shoulder as she tenderly pressed her cheek against it.

     "You two had a really good night together, huh?" she asked softly.
     "It was another one of those times where I understand more of why you and Confetti refuse to keep your hands off another." I laughed ever so slightly.
     "I'm glad for you. I truly am," Gilly smiled before sighing, "And I do hope then, even with some signs supporting the link being right, that there's a big mess up somewhere. I get what you were saying with the Thicket's actions, particularly Arbor's, not matching up with those of people wanting to hurt us. We've been wide open to them all this time. Why wait longer and risk the chance of exposure? Heck, why string us along at all and not just blow up the house or something?"
     "I don't know," I shook my head, "Anyway, have mom and dad talked to you about the move at all? Are we still on for that?"
     "We talked about it briefly before you got home. It depends on how big the threat is, if it is indeed there. They certainly don't want to force us to stay. We have a few more days to work it out. If they judge it safe enough, we're good to go with grandpa saying he'll give us money to make up for losing Arbor's funds."
     "I'm not sure if I want to go, if Arbor's not proven innocent within the week and I can help him by staying."
     "That's...I mean, I won't protest if that's what you want. If it was Confetti being accused I'd probably do the same thing, but goodness if that makes things more complicated still. I'll have to talk to mom, dad, and grandpa." Gilly frowned, stepping back and scratching her neck.
     "Sorry."
     "No. Like I said, I get it. Although...do you mind if I make a request?"
     "What?"
     "You've always been the more logical one so you'll probably do this anyway, but when the truth is pieced together and if it is the case that Arbor and his parents are with The Company, will you accept that and not do anything rash? You've been the one to believed them so far when the evidence worked against their favor. I don't want that to be the reason I end up losing you."
     "If they do intend us harm, I promise I will accept that. I love you very much, Gilly, and I'm glad you've let me have the honor of being your younger twin." I was able to tease.
     "Aww, I love you the most too. Thanks." she hugged me tight in response.


Gilly half dragged me to her bed. Like the old days when we were kids, we cuddled together and chatted about nonsense. I finally had the distraction I was looking for, and Gilly took out her phone so we could watch funny videos when the conversation waned. She helped me clear mine of all the missed messages afterwards. Grandpa hesitantly knocked on our door afterwards. He'd made a late lunch of grilled cheese to offer us kids, and I accepted what I could tell was a peace offering with an embrace. While I remained frustrated with the day's unfolding, I couldn't blame any of the older adults. They loved me too and only wanted me safe. Their more hands-on experience with the threat made their more rigid protection and disbelief understandable too. Grandpa had been shot at once while watching grandma be abducted. No one would risk reliving that.

     "Have you heard from Willow?" I asked Merlot as we ate.
     "No," he frowned, "They apparently took her to the station too, although they don't think she's part of anything."

Grandpa nodded when Merlot glanced up at him for confirmation.

     "See? That's another thing that makes the Thickets having a hand in The Company less believable. Why in the world would they volunteer to adopt Willow, a random stranger who could get too close and expose everything?" I postured.
     "That's true." Gilly agreed.
     "I can't say." grandpa answered.

I'd given him a look to softly prompt him for a reason he thought opposite, and he gave me his own look back. Finally, he scoffed.

     "Look, I don't want to think they're guilty either." he professed determinedly even as he hid a grin.
     "I know. I'm just messing with you." I bantered back.
     "I figured as much." he shook his head and rolled his eyes amusedly.


Grandpa took his seat, started on his sandwich, and the table went quiet for a bit while we ate. Then Merlot became his typical annoying self.

     "So, how was the sex last night?" he questioned, quirking an eyebrow my way.
     "Merlot." grandpa rebuked as I choked lightly on my sandwich and Gilly laughed.
     "What? I feel like I have to ask. No one else has addressed it, and I'm curious." he shrugged.
     "Are you? Are you really?" I stared him down.
     "Hell no I don't want the specifics, but we're an open family, aren't we? I just want to be a good, protective brother and make sure your boyfriend is treating you right."
     "And how are you so sure we slept together?"
     "Did you sleep together then?"
     "...Well, yeah."
     "Then answer the question." Merlot laughed.
     "I am not talking to my sixteen-year-old brother about my sex life!" I laughed in disbelief at this conversation.
     "You say that like I won't pester you in front of everyone we come across, be it family, friends, or strangers, until I get what I'm looking for."
     "Oh my god..." I exhaled loudly, "It was fine, and Arbor was a complete gentleman. That's all I'm saying!"
     "See? That wasn't so hard."
     "Just you wait until the day you get a girlfriend," I warned with a smirk, "If you don't think I'll reciprocate this back a thousand times..."
     "Go ahead and try." Merlot challenged boldly.
     "Oh, I will."
     "Just eat your sandwiches, you two." grandpa instructed, failing worse than before to stop from grinning.


We obeyed. I'm sure Merlot had his own reason for staying quiet when I knew he would keep pushing me more if he could, but my reason was the quiet allowed me time to think of those ways I could get my brother back. Several good plans formed in my head by the time I finished my third sandwich. My stomach complained by that point of how much I'd eaten, but grandpa's cooking was too good. I had to remember to have him give me whichever of grandma's recipes he was willing to let go. After lunch, Gilly and I played some video games downstairs until Confetti came knocking.

     "And here I thought the four of us could head out today to shop for items to make the flight less painful," Confetti sighed when us three parked ourselves on the swingset, "I'm so sorry. This has to be the worst."
     "Thanks." I accepted her comfort gently.
     "I don't believe it for a second. This sounds more to me like that Company created a false link to Arbor and his parents just to screw with you guys. To make you think you've been betrayed, and to set a warning that they're still out there prepped for the attack by showing they have the ability to hack into government files."
     "I like that explanation. I'm going to go with that one." I agreed instantly.
     "I do what I can." Confetti shrugged proudly.
     "And if you're wrong?" Gilly posed, "The more you get her hopes up, the harder the crash if you're proven wrong."
     "Dia's a big girl. She'll be able to handle it. Besides, there's nothing to worry about as there is no 'if.' Arbor's innocent. That's it."
     "Why didn't you come over sooner?" I laughed.
     "Because I took my weekly lazy morning and slept till almost eleven." Confetti smirked.
     "Geez, Confetti." Gilly remarked.
     "To be fair, I got caught up in that new Old Scrolls game, so I didn't even get in bed until two."
     "Just remember you have a limited number of those kind of days left. We'll have to get up on time without fail each morning for work." Gilly reminded.
     "That is going to be a big change for you two, huh? You've had relatively free schedules to do whatever since high school." I realized.
     "I'm more worried about her than me." Confetti motioned to my sister.
     "That's fair." I said.
     "Hey," Gilly pouted, "I mean, I agree, but..."


And so we talked and laughed. The day started to take a turn for the normal. I could almost think about forgetting poor Arbor. Unfortunately, Gilly and Confetti got permission from mom and dad to head off from the house. They granted Merlot permission to head off with one of his friends as well. Blaze was napping, grandpa was busy, and it wasn't my greatest desire to hang out with my parents this afternoon. Timber thankfully came to my rescue.

     "Mom? Dad?" I called, entering their room.
     "Yeah?" dad answered.
     "Is it alright if I head out for a bit?"

They gave each other hesitant glances.

     "Come on. You let Gilly and Merlot go out." I frowned.
     "They were with other people." mom noted.
     "I will be too. Timber wants to know if I want to walk around the park and maybe get some ice cream."
     "I don't know..."
     "Seriously? It's Timber of all people. We'll only be several blocks away from the house."
     "Are you sure you're not going to go off and try to do something about them keeping Arbor and his family held?"
     "That's what you're worried about?" I huffed indignantly, "You really think I would do that? I might want to, but how would it do anything to help? No, Timber just wants to take a walk, and I would like to go with him. I'm an adult and can go without your permission, but I thought I'd be nice and let you be aware of my plans."
     "We're sorry," dad held up his hands, "You are more than free to go as you wish. With the Thickets being with the police, the officials keeping a watch have said there's no other dangers found for us to worry about."
     "Okay. Thank you. I probably won't be gone more than two hours, but I'll text you if anything changes."
     "Thanks." mom said.


She gave me a hug and basically wouldn't let go until Timber showed up. Despite being given the all clear, my parents wouldn't permit me to step as far as the sidewalk alone. My friend had to come all the way to the house simply so we could walk back together the direction he just came from.

     "What's this going on with Arbor?" Timber wondered as soon as we were alone, "I was texting Gil a bit, and she said he and his family have been accused of being a part of that group that hurt your family in the past. Is that true?"
     "It's true that's what they've been accused of, but it's not true that they're actually a part of The Company." I spoke confidently.
     "Oh. It was a false alarm then?"
     "I...well, the police or whatever haven't said anything besides the Thickets are suspects and that they've been taken in for questioning while more evidence is gathered. They haven't been cleared or marked guilty. It's that I don't believe they're guilty, which is why I said that.
     "I see. Why do the police think they're guilty in the first place? Did they do something?"
     "When I got home this morning, grandpa told me the people they have watching for Company movement uncovered a link that connected the Thickets to them. What that link is, I wasn't really told. I'm not sure they told grandpa either."
     "And how are you doing with that news coming out?" Timber wondered in concern.

I sighed again, this one more massive than the rest.

     "It's been an up and down day. This morning before I got home was great, but my family basically had an intervention for me the second I walked through the door about the news. Not everyone shares my sentiment of Arbor's innocence, so there's been some arguments. Maybe some yelling. We've calmed down for the most part by now though."
     "That's good. You were out for the night then? Were you out at Apple's? I did try to text and call you last night, but I never got an answer."
     "I...uh..." I stammered, "Why don't we get started on the walk?"


I dodged hard around answering where I'd been the previous night and what I'd gotten up to. Timber felt like family, but for some reason revealing the truth to him made me squirm more than Merlot teasing me about having sex. Probably because there was that tension between Timber and Arbor. I'm sure Timber wouldn't want me to say anything once he knew what the answer was. He thankfully didn't prod when my words grew more and more elusive. My secrets were always safe with him, but Timber never pushed for the ones I didn't dare speak. He was a gentleman like that. He was also a gentleman in that when his questioning about Arbor got my mind spinning more and caused a frustrating headache, he offered his arm for me to cuddle and grabbed as we made it to the park. We didn't head directly in as all the noise from the festival would be sure to bother my aching noggin.

     "Would you hate me if I said I would be glad if you did decide to stay in Berrybrook a while longer?" Timber questioned with a small smile after I revealed my idea if Arbor needed help.
     "I could never hate you, for one, and it's certainly not like I'd be upset that you don't want me to leave for the other side of the country. I'm going to miss you guys like hell myself."
     "And you're still undecided about where you want to work once you're done with school?"
     "Yeah. It's not like I want to be a doctor for the prestige or to work at the newest or most famous place. Just as long as I can help people and be paid decently. That's achievable pretty much anywhere there's a hospital, so I suppose the question is which half of the family I want to stick by."
     "Tineltown does have much nice weather year round, but there's the earthquakes that can happen. Berrybrook has me."
     "But you're moving too!" I pointed out through my laughter, "You'll be heading to your new place closer to your job in the fall, remember?"
     "Eh, I'll still be close enough."
     "Tinseltown has places to climb too."
     "Dad will have a heart attack if I move farther than I already am, and he's not going to want to move roots again. He's grown more attached to Berrybrook than I ever thought was possible. He thinks of you guys as family, as I do too."
     "You are family." I affirmed.


Yup, family. Timber said the words I'd thought earlier. Family. Family just like the kids who ran about nearby in the park with their parents off in the corner buying snow cones. I hadn't prompted more about why Timber thought he wouldn't be a good father, but I fully believed he could be. To imagine the day his children would run around in the park was heartwarming. Maybe one day he and Arbor could get over their tension so if Arbor and I did have kids they could play together. After last night, having a little one seemed less terrifying. Yes, perhaps one day...

     "Oh my god!" I exclaimed abruptly, realization hitting me like a truck.
     "What?" Timber questioned, worried at how I suddenly covered my face as my eyes went wide.
     "Oh my god," I just repeated in horror, "Oh no..."
     "Dia, what?" Timber prompted more determinedly.

How could I have been so stupid? I was the logical one. The responsible one. I'd been anything but logical and responsible last night. I'd thought of protection the first time Arbor and I had almost slept together, and I'd thought of it that day of the pool party. However, not once had it popped into my stupid brain the previous evening when we went for it fully again and again. The one time it actually mattered, and Arbor and I went bare. Seriously, how could I have let it happen? Why hadn't Arbor said anything either? Well, I had kinda gone right at him. With how swept up he'd been in enjoying the freedom of smacking down the darkness of his past, I think we both got too caught up in the joy of being together to remember potential consequences. Of course I tracked my periods though, and the timing of when conception was likely for me was too close to today for me to fight back the shake that ran up and down my spine from my stomach.

     "Sorry," I apologized to my friend, my voice quivering too, "Sorry. I-I remembered there was something important I forgot to do. My, um, my brain is giving up on me right now. There's a convenience store with a pharmacy nearby, right? I can't recall which one or where it is."

I'd lived in this area for so long, and with the shock coursing through my veins I wouldn't be able to tell you where the park was if it wasn't right next to me.

     "You're talking about Care-Aid, yeah? It's...that way. Taking the walk path through the trees is a shortcut." Timber mapped it out in his head.
     "Mind if we head there now?"
     "No. Of course if you need to go let's go."


Thank goodness for medical advancements. There was still a chance I hadn't ovulated yet, so my best hope now was to get my hands on a morning-after pill. Timber would have to wait outside the store while I bought it. I would have to buy a drink or something too, but where would I take the pill? The store wouldn't have a bathroom I could slip into. I could take it inside in a quiet aisle, but that would be humiliating. My brain worked too hard trying to recall a place with a bathroom. The best I got was checking with Timber if he wanted to get our ice cream right away. The store he suggested in his texts did have a public restroom. That would work. I had to get that pill in me right away, but an extra fifteen minute walk I could handle.

     "Are you sure you're not sick?" Timber asked.

I slowed down as I'd been stomping on ahead too desperate to get to Care-Aid.

     "Yeah, sorry. I'm just feeling really stupid with myself right now." I explained as best I could.

Honestly, I couldn't get over it. None of my family like my parents or Gilly asked me if I'd been safe. That was how great their belief in me being level-headed was, that it wasn't even something they had to be concerned about in my case. How could it be that I was in this situation where it might be too late to prevent a pregnancy? How the hell could I look any of them in the eye if the pill failed? Ember would be the one I would have to go to first. She would get it. She could help me through the choice to be made. In that moment, I admired her like never before. This had to be the kind of terror she went through, and she faced it all when she was underage, had to handle her classmates mocking her, and she had a boyfriend who she shouldn't have been dating yet.

My heart did a somersault thinking of Arbor. I couldn't imagine how he would react if I had to tell him I was pregnant. Would he say not to worry? Would he tell me I didn't have to give the child up? His wish was to be a family with me. He had no problem being the stay-at-home spouse. Would he smile and gladly watch our child while I completed my schooling? Such a type of lifestyle would be premature, but with us together it could be done happily. If he was actually innocent. I shook my head furiously as doubt somehow wormed itself inside my chest. That thinking was all on the assumption Arbor and his parents weren't working against us. My feet stomped me faster again when the possibility of his love being a lie and me pregnant and abandoned entered my head.

     "Arbor's not a part of The Company," I huffed as I walked, "He's not, he's not, he's not."
     "I agree with you."

I stopped for a brief second to glance back at my friend. Timber smiled back without hesitation.

     "You really do? Even though he refuses to get along with you?" I asked.
     "Even though," Timber smiled wider, "I will stand behind you and say with 100% conviction that Arbor has nothing to do with The Company."
     "Timber...thank you."


I wanted to cry with relief. Every person who supported me eased the tension off my chest. Timber's confession proved especially uplifting. If he could see the sense in the situation, then surely the police and government would come to the same conclusion. With that renewed hope, I went to continue on my way through the walk path. Timber and I were getting to the end, and I could almost see the breaking of the trees back onto the sidewalk. My movement halted when Timber suddenly moved closer than expected. He hovered right behind me.

     "I can say that Arbor's not a part of The Company for a very good reason," he spoke as before, cheerful and bright, "Because he's not the link. I am."

Confused and wondering what in that sentence I misheard, my attempt at turning around went nowhere. It took me falling half collapsed on the ground with dark vision before I recognized Timber striked one of the pressure points on the back of my neck, the one good for causing people to pass out. A surge of panicked adrenaline had me regaining control of my movements quicker than he anticipated, yet Timber just hurriedly crouched over me before I could get up and slam the flat of his hand at my neck again. In my blackening sight as consciousness faded, he left me with his usual smile and typical voice.

     "Surprise."
6 comments on "Gen Three- Chapter Thirty Six"
  1. I KNEW IT. Well, the person who thought Timber had a connection to all the cat killings knew it first. And now Arbor's dislike of Timber makes sense completey.

    Can't wait until next Monday!



    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW IT!!! I knew that Timber had something to do with all this, I didn't think he was connected to the company but I knew he was behind the killings and the snow globe and things like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through exactly the same stages of disbelief as Dia did while reading this. I absolutely refused to believe it. Then after awhile I was thinking of all the reasons about why he couldn't be with the company.

    Eventually it led me to thinking about Timber and how he could be the link to the company. It could've been a bit of a mix-up, I mean both families are brown. It also explained Arbors complete distrust towards Timber. Then of course he just HAD to show up right after Arbor was arrested and take her to the park, which set red alarms off all over my brain. I guess this means he killed those cats right? AND stole the snow globe? I had slight suspicions of him, but nothing ever really serious I mean he was Dia's best friend.

    And actually now that I think about it Timber's family kind of resembles Buckeye. He was brown too. Looking back he's the same shade as Timber too. Maybe they're related somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOOOOO Timber!! I called it as soon as he said he agreed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew it as soon as the first cat killing happened!!! I CALLED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday will definitely be fun in a certain way. It'll put the otherwise calm and normal events of Gen Three in a whole new perspective. There's a theory someone mentioned here that's right on too.

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9