Top Social

Gen Three- Chapter Thirty Five

(NSFW material)


Heading down the stairs towards mom and dad's room for the forth time reminded me of when I used to babysit a younger Mint. It was as if mom was a toddler who forgot every word I said the second I moved out of sight, but in this case the whole thing was obviously intentional. Mom, throwing her own temper tantrum in a way, adamantly refused to come upstairs despite promising the last time I came down that she'd be up in a minute. With all the 'minutes' I granted her, a half hour had now passed.

     "Mom, you're thirtieth minute is up." I spoke with lighthearted warning after poking my head into the room.

Having been absentmindedly skimming through a book on her dresser, she jolted with a start to search for something to pretend to clean even though she'd long since cleaned everything and lost every excuse she had to delay.

     "I'll be right there." she answered, unable to glance my way.
     "That's what you said the last three times."
     "I just have a few things I need to do down here first."
     "No, you don't. You're lying to avoid helping us pack because you don't want to face the fact that Gilly and I will be leaving in a few weeks," I stated the truth hoping to break her out of her stubbornness, "Hiding down here is not going to stop that from happening."
     "I know." mom snapped, but her tone was too sad for me to feel hurt.
     "Well, okay then. I'm not going to keep coming down here, so I won't force you to help even though you promised. I'll just remind you that your time with us is limited. You're throwing away a big chance to spend quality time together before we go by hiding down here instead. If that's what you think will help you be more comforted once we're out of the house..."


It was a little mean, but it was the truth. Mom complained and pouted frequently now that the moving day was in two and a half weeks. Summer passed so peacefully that the days rushed forward in the blink of an eye. Despite not wanting us to go, mom's brilliant tactic was to ignore the inevitability of the move. That basically translated to her ignoring us as necessity meant it was Gilly and mine's main focus. Mom wasn't the only one depressed over the impending separation though. I wished to spend as much time as I could with her as well, which is why I needed her to snap out of her funk. I left her room with those words of mine lingering in the air, I made my way to my bedroom without looking back, and after a moment I heard the click of mom's heels slowly shadow me from behind. I finished taping up one box and unfolded another by the time she made it to our corner of the house.

     "It's too empty." mom pouted, surveying the area under lowered lashes.
     "It is a bit sad, huh?" Gilly agreed with a supportive though somber smile.

The weight of the future settled more heavily on her shoulders than mine. Although we were moving together, our paths weren't the same. Gilly and Confetti were, as far as they were aware, going to Tinseltown for good with no intentions to live in their hometown again. They would become proper working women without all the free time they had now. I, on the other hand, was still going to school. I would continue to have breaks during the summer and winter, and my decision on where I would eventually live remained undecided. Berrybrook could be my home for life.

     "I wish we had moved somewhere else during those years," mom broke into tears ten minutes into her half-hearted help with the packing, "Then you wouldn't all want to go back to Tinseltown. Merlot still wants to move there too, and what'll Coal and I do after that? How can we live so far away from all our children? I suppose I could accept living there too, but leaving Berrybrook would break Coal's heart..."
     "Mom..." Gilly reached out for her, almost crying herself.
     "No, I'm sorry. I know I'm being selfish and petty," she said with a shake of her head, doing her best to wipe her eyes dry before laughing shallowly and smiling wryly, "It was just such a pain to push you two out, you know? You made it too much work. I don't want to let you go after all that."
     "Don't you worry. I'll be calling you every five minutes, forgetting about the time difference to wake you up at night, because I'll have no idea what I'm doing. It'll be like I'm right there besides you still." Gilly joked, smiling with wet eyes and glomping onto mom tightly.
     "That sounds good." mom sniffled before holding her as closely as she could.

Unsure of what to say, I joined in to make us a circle of embraces.


Mom gathered her resolve after that. Her tears disappeared, and within an hour's time the last of our belongings that hadn't already been packed and shipped off were sorted and boxed to be on the next shipment. One of the big draws about the two bedroom house, which I'd caved and accepted for everyone's benefit, was that it came furnished. Mom left promising pizza for dinner. Gilly and I stretched and tried not to let the sadness sink back in at the sight of our much more bare bedroom. Me wandering over to the window with my sister joining didn't help that.

     "I wonder why they bothered buying this stuff when they built the house," I pondered at the playground equipment like the slide and swingset, "We'd already outgrown it by the time we moved back, and Merlot and his friends barely used the stuff either."
     "I think because we have family around with kids young enough to still use it, but...I think because grandpa, mom, and dad were working under the impression that things would be like in the past. We would make our families here as they had, and before long they'd have a bunch of grandchildren to entertain." Gilly guessed logically.
     "It does feel like we're breaking something, doesn't it?
     "A little, but that's no reason to limit ourselves."
     "I know," I shrugged, "It just sucks being the ones to go against what the family's been doing for generations."
     "Let's blame Uncle Prism then. Or Aunt Desi," Gilly suggested teasingly, "If Aunt Desi hadn't chosen to move with Uncle Jasper and his family instead of going to Tinseltown, or if Uncle Prism had extended his offer to someone else we wouldn't have all caught the moving bug."
     "I like this idea." I laughed softly.


That afternoon, dad came into our room to tell us when the pizza arrived. He refused to go back in afterwards. He, too, hated the sight of the empty space, although he acted much more upbeat about the whole thing compared to mom. I suppose it helped that he was already used to having Ember and his grandchildren through her living far away. The family enjoyed our meal in the theater room that night, using the opportunity to have fun together before doing so became next to impossible. I'd been following such a mindset for the past several weeks myself. There was no way I could head off without guilt if I didn't see my friends at every possible chance. The next day was Timber's turn in the schedule. The two of us headed towards the beach where we exhausted ourselves in the water, gorged on greasy overpriced stand food, and dropped onto our blankets lazily to cook ourselves in the sun.

     "Do you want to have kids?" I asked some time later.
     "That's a bit of a random question." Timber replied, slipping the one earbud he'd been wearing out so he could hear me fully.
     "I know, but I've been thinking of it a lot myself lately. I always figured I wouldn't, but dating Arbor made me question if I might want to. Then mom's been having a terrible time with Gilly and I leaving. I don't want to have to go through anything like that. Even worse, it all reminds me of how awful mom's pregnancies were. She had three miscarriages between Gilly and I and Merlot. That's three other siblings I could have had. Mrs. Thicket lost a child too. When I think of that risk...it practically turns me away from the idea for good."
     "That's understandable. The pain of losing a child is an awful thing to think about it, and you could have the same troubles as your mom. I think it comes down to the classic kind of thinking of if the benefits outweigh the risks. Your parents would clearly say having you, Gilly, and Merl was worth it despite the troubles they had. Whether you feel the same is something only you can determine for yourself."
     "But the thing is I've already been taking all that into consideration."
     "Then if you're aware of everything and are so indecisive, you should definitely not be having a child any time soon," Timber rationalized with a grin, "You're twenty and only just about to leave home for the first time. It's not wrong to think about the future, but you don't need to be set one way or the other as you have lots of time. With either decision you can be happy."
     "I know that too..." I pouted.
     "So you're trying to vent more than get advice?" Timber laughed harder.
     "I guess so." I had to giggle along.


Timber shook his head in amusement and flipped over. I almost let the topic be, but curiosity kept me talking.

     "You didn't answer my first question." I pointed out.
     "Hmm, I don't know too much either," he replied with a small shrug, "It's not that I hate kids, but I don't know if I'd necessarily be a good parent."
     "Well, I don't believe that'd be true at all." I encouraged instantly, a little off-put by the unusual self-doubt coming out of my friend's mouth.
     "Thanks."
     "Well, do you want to get married and have a wife? Or a husband? Thinking about it, I never took the time to really ask how you feel in that regard. You've never shown interest in anyone as far as I'm aware."
     "That's because there was simply never anyone I was interested it," Timber shrugged again. "Not that I haven't met plenty of nice people, but those types of feelings didn't pop up. Can definitely say I'm not into guys though."
     "Hmm," I mused, picking sand off my towel, "You know, speaking of romantic feelings, we completely failed to find someone for your dad."
     "I totally forgot about that," Timber grinned, "We got so distracted with the whole reunion fiasco."
     "And then were too terrified to do anything sneaky past that." I added merrily.
     "Ah, well, dad's been fine. Probably for the best we didn't muck about with that."
     "True. About forgetting things too-"
     "I haven't forgotten about your surprise," Timber rolled his eyes while wearing a smirk, "You reminded me of it everyday. Trust me, it's coming. It'll happen before you leave."
     "It's just I can't believe it really took this long for you to put it together. It makes me think it's going to be too grand."
     "No plan of mine can be too much for you, Dia. You're worth it."
     "I feel like I have to do something in return though."
     "You don't ha-"
     "Oh! I got it! Since you never got to come to the first party and it sucked for me, I'll throw it again! It's perfect. Hopefully, it'll cheer mom up too."
     "I can't really say no to that." Timber chuckled.


And so plans for the party instantly got underway. There was no reason to save up money or beg my parents to allow it to happen. Mom jumped onto the chance to have fun without having to think about the move the second the idea left my mouth later that afternoon. The timing ended up being perfect. Given that it was nearing the end of summer vacation, the activity center was booked most days for events. We just happened to claim the last slot open that was ideal for our needs. We certainly filled up the place too. Almost the entire extended family was able to come, not to mention our friends, their friends, and some of their family too. No matter which direction one glanced, one of us was around.


I spent my time on the second floor. Grandma, grandpa, and mom all sucked at roller skating, and it was a family trait I seemed to inherit. Bowling, on the other hand, I could claim mild confidence in. There was a fun competition that drew me in as well. Mom, Gilly, and Confetti played on the first lane. Apple, Merlot, and Willow took over the second. Arbor and I were on the third. Mr. Mountain, Mr. Thicket, and Timber did their best on the fourth while Uncle Frost and Mrs. Thicket cared more about chatting than getting a good score on the fifth. The general idea was that the best bowler from each lane would then play against the winners from the other lanes, and the process would repeat until the best player came out on top.

     "C'mon, dad. Do we need to put the bumpers up for you?" Arbor teased.

Mr. Thicket was having a pretty hard time. A tad overeager, he kept going too far forward and misaligning his otherwise good tosses by slipping on the lane's floor.

     "No. No, I am doing just fine, thank you." Mr. Thicket huffed back mostly sarcastically.
     "You're supposed to have a high score. Not a low one."
     "I am supposed to be having fun, which I am doing. Thereby, I am succeeding greatly."
     "I think winning's more fun." I joined in the teasing.

Having gotten half my pins down for my most recent toss, I felt fairly confident. Arbor wasn't the greatest bowler, just like me, but at the rate we were going I would be the victor for our lane. Then I would get to play another round while everyone else had to sit out and wait.


Mr. Thicket scoffed and rolled his eyes, but otherwise smiled. Smack talk had been flying around frequently. The only ones who ignored it were Uncle Frost and Mrs. Thicket who were too deep in talking about whatever conversation they were on to care about the rest of us.

     "I still say it'd be more fun putting a bet on who'll be the winner or who'll at least in the top three." Merlot piped up from his seat on the couch.
     "I do not condone gambling." mom denied for what was the fifth or sixth time.
     "That wouldn't be much of a good bet either as we all know who the winner is going to be." Timber said, motioning towards his father's back as he took his turn.

Mr. Mountain bowled his fifth strike.

     "Who, me?" he questioned smugly with a crooked smirk.
     "Nice toss." Arbor scoffed back with an amused laugh.
     "Thank you." Mr. Mountain replied with great, sarcastic satisfaction and a half bow.

It was weird. This was the first time Arbor and his parents were really getting to meet Timber and his dad. There was no doubt that Timber had told Mr. Mountain about Arbor's less than stellar attitude towards him given the studious glances Mr. Mountain threw my boyfriend's way at the beginning of the party. On the other hand, it wasn't like Arbor had bragged to his parents about him being rude and hateful towards my friend. They didn't know anything about it. With all of them in one relatively confined area, it certainly was something. Arbor and Timber smartly kept any interaction to an absolute minimum, but Arbor seemed to have no problem with Mr. Mountain. It wasn't that they were best friends, yet Arbor willingly initiated conversation and even joked around with him like he was now. Perhaps he was simply acting the part in front of his parents. I certainly wasn't going to press for an honest answer though and make the day awkward.


I got further in the competition than I thought. Mom and Confetti faced off again as they ended up tying. I won out over Apple by just a smidge while Mr. Mountain thoroughly crushed Uncle Frost. He then proceeded to make Confetti and I completely regret ever picking up a bowling ball in the final round. A gracious winner, he treated us to some brownies at the cafe on this floor for a good, clean competition. Our group scattered here and there afterwards where I found myself in the arcade. No one else bothered coming as we'd already spent more money than we should have buying additional tokens. Willow got a jackpot on one of the machines, which led to us getting overeager and pushing our luck. Though we'd won several acceptable prizes in the end, we could have bought more from the internet with all the money we sacrificed.

However, an idea had sprung in my mind when I saw the claw machine. That rigged thing should have been the last thing to scratch my desire for a prize, but that was why it did. The impossibility of winning anything drew me over with a start. I couldn't leave home without bequeathing my family members some presents. I'd gotten one for most, but I'd yet to find anything appropriate for Papa Al. That'd been when I recalled stories of how he used to pour endless money into claw machines to get prizes for grandma in exchange for kisses. Winning a prize for him that way felt like a good honor I could bestow. Fate apparently agreed. Setting my sights on a rabbit toy at the top that was the easiest to aim for, my eyes went wide at the claw eagerly clutching onto it and lifting it into the air without fail.

     "No way!" I gawked cheerfully.

Over the moon at my mere fifty cents claiming me a rare feat, my small step back as I cheered bumped me into someone of which I hadn't been aware.


The fact that I backed my stupid butt right up onto the guy made the moment more uncomfortable than normal, although I refused to acknowledge the mishap in order to be prevent more awkwardness. Focusing on the accidental slip of his hand on me wouldn't produce anything good. I turned around with a polite smile.

     "Sorry, that was my bad." I apologized.
     "It's all good. No harm done." the pink guy I'd ran into smiled back.

However, his smile set me on edge. He grin tilted as if he'd just won a prize of his own, and his gaze roving up and down was more than a quick glance. His hand twitched as if upset his instinct to pull it away as he'd done had been a huge mistake. Understanding the situation, I attempted to reach down to get the rabbit plush, but the pink guy and his purple companion took standing spaces far too close. If I bent over, I'd only push some part of me into them. No doubt it was what they wanted.

     "What's your name?" the pink guy asked.
     "Step back some, would you? You're too close. I have other stuff to do, so I need to get my prize and leave." I faked more politeness in my demand.
     "We're not stopping you from doing anything. You're more than free to get your prize and leave." the purple guy shrugged.

He had his phone out and texted while he spoke. His interest was clearly elsewhere, but he still supported his horrible friend by keeping me boxed in that corner.

     "It'd be a shame if you left though. You've got skill with this game. Mind sticking around and giving us a few pointers?" the pink guy inched ever closed.
     "No, because luck is all it was. Also, no I don't want to spend any time with either of you. You're pricks, and in you're in a hopeless situation. I've got a boyfriend, thank you very much. Now, last time, back off and let me leave."
     "Hmm? Who's this boyfriend of yours?" the pink guy questioned suspiciously tilting his head.
     "She probably is telling the truth. I saw her with some brown guy earlier." his purple friend spoke.
     "Brown? That won't do at all. Our pinks would go better together, wouldn't they?"
     "Fuck off."

Pushing the purple guy back as he appeared the safer choice to act against, I granted myself enough room to snatch the rabbit toy from the chute and wriggle past them. The pink ass grabbed my wrist for a brief moment. I hurriedly wrenched my arm free and rushed out of the room.


I wasted no time in heading downstairs. Although I hadn't planned on giving Papa Al's present to him right away, I needed the distraction to cool off. That moment had been the first where I'd really ever had to deal with something like that, which left me unaware of how to deal with it. I could tell my parents. However, I knew word wouldn't instantly spread to people like my grandparents and Uncle Frost and Aunt Sunflower. They'd probably swarm the assholes in one huge group, and I didn't want a big incident to ruin the evening. My plan turned to ignoring it. I had no intentions of being away from everyone else anymore, so the idiots couldn't bother me again. Papa Al nearly crying at the sentimental choice of a gift also snatched most of the tension from my chest. He hugged me until I laughed where he continued to hug me until I nearly cried too. It truly was such a good family I was leaving behind.

     "So, where's the first place you're going to treat me to?" Arbor questioned when later on it was the two of us dancing upstairs.
     "Oh, there's so many good places. I'll have to think of which one is the best. It'll take some time before we get the chance to eat out though."
     "Why's that?"
     "Because Uncle Prism and Aunt Taffy are going to want us around for every meal at first. I'm sure Ember will be inviting us over everyday too, not to mention there's Desi and Rouge, and Ethereal and Ephemeral, and-"
     "We might not ever have to cook for ourselves." Arbor joked brightly.
     "I hope so!" I laughed.

Matching time with the flourish of the music, Arbor grandly spun me. Then I caught sight of something terrible upon coming back around. Apparently, the pink guy and purple guy had stayed in the arcade. They came out now, and my glare was on them instantly as soon as we noticed each other.

     "What's up?" Arbor asked quietly, "Who are those two?"
     "They were creeping on me when I was getting the rabbit for Papa Al. They boxed me in, and the pink one in particular was pushy. He grabbed my wrist when I went to leave." I explained slowly, unable to lie.

Arbor immediately shocked me. I thought the mask of how I originally knew him was gone, but he sent a scathing glower at the two that shifted him back into that intimidating and frightening figure with ease. Even I, who knew how sweet and gentle Arbor actually was, shuddered upon seeing the dangerous aura he emanated. The two idiots quickly scampered off.


Arbor sought to follow them and get on their cases more, but I held him back. I didn't want anything to end the party on a bad note for me given how the last party ended poorly for me too. Arbor huffed and puffed about that letting the jerks get off the hook and permit them to continue their despicable behavior. When I asked him what difference he could really make in completely changing their attitudes, however, he had no answer to give. He promised to leave them alone when I told him I would hang out with someone else if he refused to drop the matter, and we continued on as normal. Our session eventually ended, leaving us to all separate to our homes. The next morning I woke up heaped in guilt. Not because of how I'd handled last night, but because time move ever onward. The new day marked the one week Gilly, Confetti, Arbor, and I had before we were to leave. To make matters worse, I ended up talking with Blaze, grandpa, and dad that afternoon.

     "They didn't have to add that whole subplot about finding Axis in the crashed ship so Parallax could focus on their past relationship. They already dealt with their break-up fine in season three. It's just a rehash so they can cause tension with Eclipse." dad rattled off his point of view.

They were discussing some sci-fi show they watched. It was one riding off the coattails of Dark Adaptation's success. I originally only joined in the conversation because Arbor and I had planned to spend time together, but he was suddenly being incredibly resistant about coming over.

     "It is annoying they're purposely making Axis's interaction with Parallax look like she's trying to get back with him to cause drama, but I don't think bringing her back was wrong. They foreshadowed her return last season, and the two definitely have a reason to have to interact now that it's come out Antapex is actually the stolen child that Axis thought was stillborn." grandpa challenged.

I didn't listen too closely. It might have looked like I did, but that was only because of the guilt mixing in with what that pink idiot last night said caused me to focus hard on those on the couch in contemplation. I was technically Solid despite my highly Mixed blood. Rarely anyone in our family came out like me anymore. I stared at Blaze, grandpa, and dad and all their redness. Dad obviously had Mixed blood too but was still the last direct Solid red descendant of a line that had been that way for two hundred years. That was as far back as we'd done our genealogy. Blaze, grandpa, and dad naturally didn't care of the breaking of tradition, but, in some way, I considered its occurrence monumental. Dad and his siblings, me and my siblings...we were at the forefront of incoming generations of change. As I'd told my twin before, it was difficult being in that situation. Charging into the unknown, the different- and here Gilly and I were taking it to the next level with our move.


Finally, a knock came on the door. Arbor eventually caved and said he'd come over, but it'd been so long since he texted me that I assumed he changed his mind. The second he stepped inside, I found out why he hadn't rushed over.

     "Arbor!" I balked at all the bruising on his face, "What happened?"
     "I fell onto a doorknob?" he lied with such an infuriating grin.
     "Arbor." I rebuked, folding my arms.
     "It was a very aggressive doorknob."
     "Arbor."
     "I hope you came out the victor in whatever fight you got in," Blaze spoke the obvious, "Or at least got some good punches in."
     "Who won and who lost is open for debate, but I got my point across quite well. That was good enough for me."
     "Do you need any medicine or ice?" dad offered.
     "Nah, thanks though. My parents have patched me up as best they could since last night."
     "If the fight was last night, then..." I put the pieces together of who exactly Arbor went fist to fist with, despite the answer already being easy to guess.

I stared my boyfriend down until he cracked.

     "I'm sorry, Dia, but I couldn't let them walk away without doing something." he professed.
     "And your idea of something is starting a fist fight?"
     "I didn't start it. They did...when they said some things about you that I couldn't let go."
     "Hang on, what is this all about?" dad wondered in concern.
     "There were these guys being creeps to me last night," I sighed in admittance, "I didn't say anything about it except to Arbor as I didn't want any fights to break out."

Another rigid stare from me shrunk Arbor a little sheepishly. However, he didn't break, and I sighed again.

     "Still want to go on our walk?" Arbor offered with his normal, cute smile.
     "Yeah..." I huffed, "Just let it be known I am not happy about this."
     "It's duly noted." he nodded firmly.


Dad sent an appreciative thumbs up Arbor's way before we left. Blaze and grandpa switched their conversation to reminiscing on some incident where dad's face got bruised too. It had to be the story where grandpa kissed grandma when she was still dating Papa Al. Arbor wished to hear the tale, but I took his hand and led him on. Arbor and I had lost a lot of time for our walk, and the last thing I wanted was dad encouraging my boyfriend's behavior. Shouldn't he at least have the decency to pretend Arbor getting in a fight was a disappointment like parents were supposed to?

     "I got pretty lucky this morning. Naturally you're aware that most places I've looked at for jobs have had no interest in me considering I don't live near the locations yet," Arbor did most of the talking on our way into the city as I still processed the turns of events, "Yet I got two call backs a little before lunch."
     "That's good. Which ones?" I managed to ask.
     "There's the one at the mall, and then the one doing landscaping for the various parks around the city. The landscaping pays better, but the mall job is more consistent. Both haven't promised a guarantee though until I actually move down there, of course, but they were willing to talk to me on the phone and promise an interview once I get in Tinseltown."
     "Nice."

About the time we reached the city's outskirts did Arbor run of topics or stories to fill in the very massive gaps I left in the conversation. I tried to smack my brain into not being so stubborn, but there were two large factors working against that. First, Arbor walked on my left. That meant every time I looked at him I got a full view of the worst of the damage to his face. Then, secondly, there was simply the fact that I didn't feel I had to just let my anger go about the matter.

     "Want to stop at the park?" Arbor wondered, scratching the back of his neck, smartly picking a good, quiet location for us to talk.

I nodded slowly.


Walking slightly ahead, I ended up picking us a spot near the fountain. There were plenty of benches where we could sit and talk, but as my feet began to pace me back and forth sitting wasn't a viable option.

     "I didn't mean to make you mad." Arbor began, catching my arm to stop my wandering.
     "Well, you did." I huffed.
     "I know....but, it was a surprise for me too. I went over to them meaning to make a point. I didn't have any intention to do that with my fists though. You...I guess I have to ask that you remember what I've been through. I will not hesitate for a second if I think something is going to lead to you, or me, or anyone else having to go through anything like that. Making an untoward comment is one thing, but physically intimidating you and trying to grab you against your will, those are signs of a bad kind of willingness on their part."
     "I understand. I don't mean to rebuke you for caring and trying to keep me safe, but I want the exact same for you. Seeing you hurt is awful. If I was the one standing here with a busted up face I can't think you'd be happy or okay about it."
     "No, I wouldn't be." Arbor shrugged gently in acknowledgement.
     "And what if something had gone wrong? Am I correct in assuming you went after them by yourself? I can't believe your parents were aware of what you were doing."
     "I was by myself." he conceeded quietly.
     "You were worried those two were the kind to be violet, which is why you went after them. Yet you were the one who engaged them in the stuff you wanted to prevent? Again, what if something had gone wrong? What if one of them pulled a knife? Or a gun? What if I had to get a call last night that you were critically injured or even dead? And for what? Two scumbags learning their lesson is not worth losing you."

Tears welled up without warning while my shoulders shook and my breathing hitched. Arbor, smiling softly, wrapped an arm around my back and held my hand in his.

     "I'm right here, Dia. I'm sorry I'm worrying you and did something I maybe shouldn't have, but this isn't that 'what if' situation. I promise I won't fight anyone again unless it's absolutely necessary, and I'll be right here by your side as I plan very much to be."
     "You better be. I love you, Arbor."
     "I love you too."

I clung onto him with all my strength. I soaked up every bit of his scent and warmth I could catch, and within me settled the truth of the strength of my affection for him. The fear trembling my chest only amplified the desire to have Arbor be mine for now and for ever.


And from that fear came the courage. From the fear came the determination to deal with the fact that with only a week to go until the move that Arbor and I had to do something about our room sharing inevitability. We either had to talk about how we would respect the need to wait until we felt it was the right time for us to do anything and simply manage the intimate setting, or we went ahead and acknowledged the reality that it's not like we were against taking the leap. We'd been stopped before by secrets that needed to come out and bad timing. The first was long left in the past, and the second was easily remedied. Arbor had said it that day of the pool party. We were adults and could do whatever we wanted. If that meant I took Arbor's hand, guided him to a hotel I knew had an apartment-like penthouse couples usually reserved for their honeymoons, and forked over the money for a night with him giving me a look but not protesting in the slightest, then I could very well do that. Arbor grinned brightly the second we stepped inside and closed the door. While he opened his mouth to say something, I stole those words out with a long, tight kiss. Arbor wrapped me close to him as I kept myself nestled within his grasp. My hands snaked up his vest and shirt, leaving them discarded on the floor by the time we maneuvered to the second floor of the penthouse.

     "Dia." Arbor finally managed to whisper my name when I had him backed up against the desk on the landing.
     "Sorry," I stepped back quickly as soon as he placed some resisting pressure against my hold, "Sorry. I'm being too forceful, aren't I?"

Arbor stared at me unblinking for a moment, lost in his curiosity and light confusion until it registered to him why heavy guilt abruptly took over my expression. He softly took my waist to lure me back in and place a peck on my cheek.

     "No, that's not it," he promised, brushing our noses together, "That's not a worry of mine. You can't hurt me like that because I know you won't hurt me like that. I have complete trust in you, which is why I don't mind being here like this. I'm loving it a lot. I do think we need to slow down just a little though. There are a lot of windows here we have to watch out for as well no matter how high up we are."
     "Yeah, you're right. Dad seeing us was bad enough." I laughed quietly to match the amusement on his expression.


The ferverous kissing morphed to what was soft and sweet. Arbor opened the door to the bedroom where we slipped inside and slowly relieved ourselves out of more and more clothes. A pause occurred when my phone buzzed. It was Gilly texting me about some small matter of the move. I sent her the pertinent information only to realize more interruptions would continue to bother us if I didn't take the initiative. It would mean everyone knowing what I was getting up to, but letting my parents and sister know I would be out for the night when they knew I'd gone off with Arbor was the only way to turn off my phone without frightening them when I didn't come home. Arbor followed my lead, texting his parents, before he shut down his phone as well.

We placed them off to the side before settling ourselves at the end of the bed. Honestly, although I did want to put the matter of the depth of our intimacy to rest once and for all, I could have been happy not going any further than that moment. Arbor was content to be in his boxers and I was fine in my underwear as we soaked in the serenity and peacefulness of the connection we shared.

     "It's a little funny." Arbor murmured against my neck, resting his head on my collar.
     "What is?" I replied, lazily curling the ends of his hair around my fingers.
     "I know that saying I'm not thinking of her means I'm thinking of her to some extent, but I'm not thinking about her at all."

He didn't have to specify who he meant.

     "I truly thought I could never have this. I believed, no matter how much time passed, that she would forever have a grasp that would ruin everything. But...she's not here. I don't feel her touch. It's all you. Just you."
     "Good." I kissed the top of his head.
     "Dia?"
     "Hmm?"
     "I...I feel normal."
     "Oh, Arbor," I gushed softly, feeling the wet sting of tears on my lashes as my happiness mirrored his, "I'm glad."


He cried too. Not a great amount, but enough to flush the last of the weight holding him down. Arbor would never been the same as he'd once been. He couldn't live unaffected by the trouble life tossed at him. However, they no longer owned him. Control had been handed back to its proper owner, and Arbor wasn't about to let anyone take the reins ever again. I brushed off his tears with my thumbs where our lips reconnected. Hands resumed their wandering while pleasure returned to the forefront. Now knowing of how I was, Arbor's tender care went to softly and lovingly pushing and prodding me in the ways that would permit me to experience the unhindered desire he experienced without overwhelming me with an onslaught of unfamiliar sensations. I returned the favor as much as I could. The humble and delicate care was an exchange of equals.

     "I love you. I love you. I love you."

I repeated it over and over again with a kiss placed on a new spot of skin, which was now in abundance. Arbor and I had finally stepped past the threshold of shedding all of our clothes. The words couldn't tumble past my lips enough.

     "Thank you." Arbor whispered in regards to it all when he found a spare second I left untouched.
     "Thank you," I repeated, the corners of my lips curling, "Thank you for not giving up on me, and thank you for standing up for me last night. Despite how I protested earlier it was upsetting, and I did feel a little scared."
     "Anytime. It was worth it. Like you told me before, I'm going to be in your life for a long time. I will protect that with everything I have."
     "And you truly meant that you standing alongside me supporting my dream is your dream?"
     "Promise."
     "Then..." I spoke with a low voice, glancing at him with hope in my eyes from under lowered lashes as I layered his chest with another kiss, "Marry me someday?"
     "I was planning on it." Arbor vowed, smiling from ear to ear.


Time stopped being. It passed too quickly. It didn't move at all. The world melted away as Arbor and I drew closer together. Words of love and adoration continued to flow when beautifully and openly, passionately yet tenderly, sweetly and consuming us two became one. Pain and worries had no place in that room that captured heaven. Each moment burned itself into my memories with a flame that leapt high and higher. I had worried when I paid for the room that I'd gone overboard. However, the choice soon stopped causing any regrets. Arbor and I couldn't be kept apart. Our fingers laced together when we chatted idly eating the pizza we ordered from room service. Our legs entangled together as we watched the stars rise. Sleep hovered at bay until deep in the night while Arbor and I left no stone unturned. He was mine and I was his so much that we lost count. Even the blackest of night's shadows couldn't stop Arbor from glowing in my sight. His smile replaced the sun. Each touch or breath or whisper took me for its own, and being his rose me until I crashed, utterly exhausted while pulsing with an energy and vigor I could have never imagined, encapsulated by his arms in a sleep that made me glad only six days remained before this was our life to be. Forever and ever.
1 comment on "Gen Three- Chapter Thirty Five"
  1. YAAAAAY!! : )

    While their behavior upsets me, it's good to see the old racism themes come back - realistic I mean. I'd almost forgotten how some people still treated the idea of mixing their colors

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9